Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

WOW Airlines

Old 26th Aug 2018, 16:55
  #121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 151
Last i heard from my mates at EZY that they are netting 7-8k EUR pm with a pension less than at WOW on full time as skippers...
booze is offline  
Old 26th Aug 2018, 20:48
  #122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Eu
Posts: 850
Easy’s Pension isn’t good - 7% but when you add loyalty and perf bonuses in the overall package is a country mile better than the Wow ‘commute’ contract. The Icelandic local contract looks much better but I’d say permanent residence in Iceland would be an acquired taste for many given the climate. The Wow offering is miles ahead compared with the likes of SAS IRL, Wizz etc.
Thad Jarvis is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2018, 15:48
  #123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Europe
Posts: 34
You can easily take the local contract and commute though, plenty of guys doing it. Can't say anything about skippers but FO t&c are far above ezy and the likes, might be one of the best in Europe
hph304 is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2018, 18:55
  #124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Age: 58
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
Any current updates on wow? Spoken to a few old colleagues and they seem to like it. Salaries seem to be amongst the best being offered compared to UK. Cold and wet but company seems to be young and forward thinking. Command upgrade with experience around a year. Is this bullshit?

Well probably after tomorrow it will be known if the company has a saviour or if cash will runout. Media coverage has not been positive towards WOW. Long term viability appears in question.
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2018, 19:28
  #125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 4
Why tomorrow? European base is needed to maximise the operations I would have thought. There has been alot of talk but no confirmation.
cheekychappy is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2018, 19:40
  #126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: under the sea
Posts: 2,229
So do you have any credible sources for your post oceancrosser?Both Iceland airlines have been suffering due to high fuel prices and the establishment on the rock would like to see the purple upstart gone.
tubby linton is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2018, 23:39
  #127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Age: 58
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by tubby linton View Post
So do you have any credible sources for your post oceancrosser?Both Iceland airlines have been suffering due to high fuel prices and the establishment on the rock would like to see the purple upstart gone.
Sure. Sources are all over the place. Here is one in English https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...eks_investors/
If you read Icelandic there is lots in the Icelandic media, here is an example https://turisti.is/2018/09/oljos-tid...-mala-hja-wow/
The latter one deals with how WOW´s CEO has been making inconsistent remarks in the media. And they have not yet filed WOW´s 2017 results as required by law.
It should have been in the public domain last week.
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 00:03
  #128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: under the sea
Posts: 2,229
That is not exactly them going bust in the next few days, which is what you wrote though is it?Iceland's media write something about both airlines almost on a daily basis and nothing you have quoted is recent. Skulli was at an aviation meeting last week Aviationfest18 talking up the company's prospects and Wow is launching winter flights to Orlando to start in December
tubby linton is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 00:18
  #129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Age: 58
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by tubby linton View Post
That is not exactly them going bust in the next few days, which is what you wrote though is it?Iceland's media write something about both airlines almost on a daily basis and nothing you have quoted is recent. Skulli was at an aviation meeting last week Aviationfest18 talking up the company's prospects and Wow is launching winter flights to Orlando to start in December
Well, of course Skuli would talk up the company prospects. What else? He stands to lose pretty much everything if they fold.
As for adding routes, Air Berlin pretty much did that to the bitter end Air Berlin launches four new transatlantic routes - BusinessClass.co.uk
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 07:16
  #130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Age: 58
Posts: 688
It gets dicier fast. https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2...stodu_wow_air/ (apologies, Icelandic only).
In essence it says according to sources, ministry officials met over the weekend to discuss WOW aIr´s situation. These people do not meet on a weekend without significant cause.
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 09:41
  #131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: under the sea
Posts: 2,229
As I have said before the establishment of Iceland will always support Icelandair and ensure its survival. For balance the CEO of Icelandair left recently due to losses and competition from low -cost airlines
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...-ceo-departs-/
tubby linton is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 15:42
  #132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: away from home
Age: 58
Posts: 688
https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/n...r_the_company/

Guess this has nothing to do with overexpansion. Sorry ex Monarchs... But shooting the messenger is always popular.
oceancrosser is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2018, 16:14
  #133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: under the sea
Posts: 2,229
Whoever wrote that article doesn't understand that most of Wow's customers are not actually visiting Iceland , just merely passing through for a few hours.Currency fluctuations will also apply to Icelandair as well.
I remember Skulli taking out an advert last year for pilots when Icelandair laid off 148 pilots.
A full detailed analysis of the two airlines can be read here:
https://centreforaviation.com/analys...wow-air-424077
tubby linton is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 11:01
  #134 (permalink)  
box
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ...
Age: 20
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
Any current updates on wow? Spoken to a few old colleagues and they seem to like it. Salaries seem to be amongst the best being offered compared to UK. Cold and wet but company seems to be young and forward thinking. Command upgrade with experience around a year. Is this bullshit?

9.4k gross ain't that much, really!!!?
box is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2018, 15:39
  #135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in a dirty cockpit
Posts: 417
I've been offered, as Captain, something like 9.5K Gross calculated with an average of 15 Days of work (the salary is made off a Basic + per diems). That's not one of the best salaries you can find, considering Iceland is not cheap, it's a gross figure (and you should pay some taxes in your Country as well. Yes, that's true, if you still have something linking you there like a House, a car, business etc.) and you can travel for free on their network only.

If you want to call a salary "above average", it should be higher than 7000-7500 Euros NET for 80 hours. Good T&C must include (at least) a good pension scheme (State pension + Additional Private scheme), if commuting, a good network if no staff travels are agreed with other airlines. If one of these factors is unsatisfactory, the salary must be even higher.
Breakthesilence is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 04:11
  #136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Age: 51
Posts: 346
Originally Posted by Breakthesilence View Post
I've been offered, as Captain, something like 9.5K Gross calculated with an average of 15 Days of work (the salary is made off a Basic + per diems). That's not one of the best salaries you can find, considering Iceland is not cheap, it's a gross figure (and you should pay some taxes in your Country as well. Yes, that's true, if you still have something linking you there like a House, a car, business etc.) and you can travel for free on their network only.

If you want to call a salary "above average", it should be higher than 7000-7500 Euros NET for 80 hours. Good T&C must include (at least) a good pension scheme (State pension + Additional Private scheme), if commuting, a good network if no staff travels are agreed with other airlines. If one of these factors is unsatisfactory, the salary must be even higher.
Holy MoG, things are not well in the EU. Corrected for inflation I made €7.000 gross in 2003 as a 50 seat turbo prop Captain in the EU. Currently working for the second lowest paying LCC in the US, and my base pay is €14.000 gross + 15% into my pension plan.
hans brinker is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 07:59
  #137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dk
Age: 29
Posts: 13
What's the latest from the inside?
I have a friend looking for an Airbus gig about to leave asia..
What about the route cuts this winter? Is there any rumours on the inside about the financial situation?
Perser_dk is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2018, 05:36
  #138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: uk
Posts: 58
Bump, anyone?
black diamond is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2018, 09:50
  #139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up north
Posts: 1,588
Originally Posted by hans brinker View Post
Holy MoG, things are not well in the EU. Corrected for inflation I made €7.000 gross in 2003 as a 50 seat turbo prop Captain in the EU. Currently working for the second lowest paying LCC in the US, and my base pay is €14.000 gross + 15% into my pension plan.
Yes that is the sad state of things in EU. Your quoted pay is more or less the equivalent to the HIGHEST paying LCC in Europe.

CP
CaptainProp is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:28
  #140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between a rock and a hard place
Posts: 1,057
Originally Posted by CaptainProp View Post


Yes that is the sad state of things in EU. Your quoted pay is more or less the equivalent to the HIGHEST paying LCC in Europe.

CP
Sure, but you have to put it in perspective to what you get back as well. Medical care, school/nursery for the kids, state pension etc. Those are big costs. I know you are aware of that, but it needs to be remembered sometimes. Even comparing gross salaries between different EU states can be very much like comparing apples and oranges. Just sayin'...
172_driver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.