South Asia and Far East Wannabes A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.

Canadian RT

Old 21st May 2010, 10:38
  #21 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: earth
Posts: 266

can ne1 tell me tht if i get my faa license converted into a canadian and get a rt from there,can i apply for indian cpl after tht???
You can do that. Just make sure you get the whole FAA-->Canadian CPL conversion done before your flying hours lapse.
(You can submit your application to DGCA for conversion without an Indian RT ONLY IF you have the document from WPC stating that your issue of RTR is under progress.
Which means you'll need the Canadian RT before submitting your papers for DGCA conversion.

Else, you'll need to do the 15 hours "recency flying" before submitting your papers for conversion once again.
shanx is offline  
Old 26th May 2010, 08:02
  #22 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ViDP
Age: 31
Posts: 145
I was just going through my flight schools website where i completed my cpl ... this is what it says

RT License

Additional Requirements for Issue of Commercial Pilotís License and Airline Transport Pilotís License

Students shall obtain a Certificate of Proficiency from the Ministry of Communications under the provisions of Indian Wireless and Telegraphy Rules, 1954 for operation of Radio Telephony Apparatus on board an aircraft. Based on this, a Flight Radio Telephone Operatorís (FRTO) License will be issued by DGCA in accordance with the provisions of Section ĎYí of Schedule II of the Aircraft Rules, 1937.
RT exams are conducted by the WPC Wireless Planning Commission. These examinations are conducted every alternate month and is scheduled in different cities in India in a fixed sequence. It consists of two exams. Part A and Part B.
Hitherto, a student while undergoing flying in the USA, could get a UK RT license. Such licenses were being accepted by the WPC authorities. However, under the the present revised rules, a UK RT License or a commonwealth RT License will be deemed acceptable, only if the flying training was completed in that country. Please read the revised regulations.
In brief, if you choose to get a commonwealth RT License while you are training in the USA, then the only acceptable way to do this, is to actually travel to the UK or Canada and get the license issued there. The authorities would verify this from your passport. However, even if you get an a UK/Canadian RT License by actually visiting that country, this would only exempt you from one part (Part B) of the RT Exam. You would still be required to complete the practical (Part A) of the the RT examination.
Could someone please confirm this, Even after converting my FAA license to a Canadian CPL and passing the exam in Canada, do I have to come back and appear for Part 1?
AviatorVette is offline  
Old 26th May 2010, 08:08
  #23 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: top secret
Posts: 206
well in that para its not written that u will be converting ur cpl also
they have only said that wen u convert ur frtol then u need to give only part 1
however if u have ur cpl and frtol from same commonwealth country then u dont need to give any exam here back in india for indian rtr
avalanche007 is offline  
Old 28th May 2010, 09:14
  #24 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 260
To my knowledge the 'direct conversion' i.e., submitting a CPL and an RT from a commonwealth country and obtaining a COP/RTR(P) has been scrapped.

Initially they had allowed this till January 31st, 2010. The WPC later published a document on their website with regard to this and extended the date to April 30th, 2010.
The below link is the statement provided by WPC to what I've typed above:

If anyone of you are under the influence of flying to Canada and getting the CPL and RT from their and getting a direct conversion for a RTR(P), sorry guys but the time is up. Your only shot now is to sit for part 1 and 2 in India. IF you have plans on skipping part 2, you might need to get yourself a RT from Canada, UK, Phillipines, New Zealand or any other commonwealth country. Hope I've been of some help to you guys with regard to this matter. Cheers
SuperflyTNT is offline  
Old 28th May 2010, 09:24
  #25 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: top secret
Posts: 206
well direct conversion is still valid
the link of doc which u have given down is for diff purpose
although its not clearly mentioned so anyone can think that its for this thing
well lemme explain
the doc which has been issued is for those people who had faa cpl and just took commonwealth rtr and came went for direct conversion
well such rule did existed long back
then the rule came that if u have faa cpl and commonwealth rtr then u need to give part 1 exam
now wat abt those who did not gave exams and got their indian rtr??????/
well this document is for them that they need to give part 1 exam atleast within the following time or else they will have to sit for both part 1 and 2 exams of indian rtr
however if u have cpl and rtr from same commonwealth country u stil stand a chance for direct conversion
it has not been stopped as yet
avalanche007 is offline  
Old 29th May 2010, 10:49
  #26 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 260
Now that you said so, I went back and read the pdf file again keeping in mind of what you said. Seems like you are right. Thank you for the correction, sorry for sending out the wrong message. Though I still am not sure about the direct conversion process, last I heard from a friend who got the direct conversion done said they have stopped the process. The best way to find out is from the WPC, since this thread has 2 different answers it would be a lot safer for anyone interested to speak to the WPC. Good luck, cheers
SuperflyTNT is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2010, 09:37
  #27 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Age: 34
Posts: 13

hey i am thinking of getting my faa license converted to a canadian and having a canadian rt. can any one tell me how much would it cost me and where in canada can i get this done. i will be in georgia.
havai_jahaj is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2010, 16:46
  #28 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ViDP
Age: 31
Posts: 145
@ Superflytnt, thanks for scaring the daylights out of me.
AviatorVette is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2010, 12:58
  #29 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: INDIA
Posts: 1
Question quries regarding canadian RT

hey can any 1 suggest whats the best thing to do from the following :
get Canadian RT and appear for part 1
get both Canadian CPL and RT medicals and convert directly

and can some1 please explain me procedure for both in detail
saurabh777 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2010, 14:31
  #30 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: top secret
Posts: 206
well i would prefer you shud go for both canadian cpl and rtr as well
i have seen students failing even the part 1 which is costing them recency
and when you are going to get a canadian rtr then why not a canadian cpl
and to get your faa cpl converted to canadian you need to just give a air law exam thats it and you will your canadian cpl
not to forget do your canadian medicals before all this
in this way if you just keep on renewing your canadian medicals every year the your indian rtr is valid for next 20 years i.e. till its expiry period with you giving any exams in india for rtr
avalanche007 is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2010, 05:44
  #31 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Somehwere nowhere
Posts: 181
If anyone needs any help with Canadian CPL and Canadian RT, give me a holla

I am a recent applicant that went to Canada to give my CPL and RT exam and it was done in one day. Now I am currently in India but will go back to US because I work there. If anyone is in the US trying to get a CPL for Canada - do it quick because it takes time to get all the paperwork sorted out.

For those in India - you can do your canadian medical at authorized centers. The whole process is about 3 months +.

The Canadian CPL exam is tricky. The RT is a breeze thanks to an Indian whom I found in Toronto that gave me a great time with it and a wonderful person.

So be ready.
Pulkdahulk is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2010, 18:01
  #32 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Age: 29
Posts: 1
the India process

Hey there,

I recently got my canadian CPL and RT and will be headed back to india today....if anyone has any info with regards to the form required for application for the rtr(p) in india and the procedure that follows that, pls let me know...
JoshDias is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2010, 17:15
  #33 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: kala pani
Posts: 27
canadian RT

Guys i have a Indian cpl and frtol with Indian RTR permit issued on UK RT,now my Indian rtr permit is no more valid, i tried part 1 but didn't succeeded number of times.So, i am planning to go to Canada and get a Canadian rt with Canadian cpl on the basis of FAA cpl.I want to know when i will get both Canadian cpl and rt,am i eligible to apply for the Indian permit again on Canadian RT(already had issued Indian permit on UK rt).Will there be no problem with my Indian FRTOL,if i got issued my Indian RTR on Canadian rt?
thanks .....
Arm is Strong is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2010, 09:38
  #34 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mum
Posts: 1
Regarding the CANADIAN RT and getting an IR endorsement, please help!

Hi I was wondering if you would have any idea about having to get the IR endorsed on your CANADIAN CPL while getting the FAA CPL converted to the Canadian one and getting a Canadian RT in order for me to get an RTR(P) back in India. Because there are two written exams for the same..and if I don't need an IR endorsement I just need to give one. Hence the doubt. Please let me know as I will be leaving for Canada in 2 weeks. Thanks Again.
poxo is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2010, 11:02
  #35 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: top secret
Posts: 206
to get your canadian rt just visit any flying school in canada
they will take your oral exam and you will be through
thats it
avalanche007 is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2010, 10:01
  #36 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indai
Age: 32
Posts: 1
@ Pulkdahulk

hello sir , i am sidhant currently in india would be going to usa in san jose to complete my commercial multi engine training , after that would like to got to canada for my faa into canadian conversion of cpl and getting an rt there .please help me out in getting and to know more about paper work .as i have read about medical and filling up the licence application form b4 even going to canada . where can i get my medical done in usa or more significantly in sanjose or how do i complete my paperwork as soon as possible so that no time and not much of a money would be wasted there . as you know please help !!
sidhantster is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2010, 14:07
  #37 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: india
Age: 32
Posts: 20
there are 2 canadian medicals in california. check them in the link; Civil Aviation Medical Examiners (CAME) - Details
Civil Aviation Medical Examiners (CAME) - Details
you take call any suitable one and fix an appointment over the phone.
it takes a month to process the file no. so get the medicals done as soon as u can.
you can approach the the consulate general in los angeles for the visa. here is the link: Consulate General of Canada in Los Angeles
you would also need to arrange for a centre to give your rt and cpl examination.
having selected a centre get in touch with them directly through the correspondence mentioned. the officials there are extremely friendly and helpful so u won't have much trouble there. get all this done before hand.
mind you the cpl conversion paper is a little tricky. so goodluck!!
prii is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2011, 14:20
  #38 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: india
Age: 30
Posts: 110
anyone got any idea on how to renew RTR (P)
mine is expiring in july
yash is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2011, 11:14
  #39 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ncr
Age: 33
Posts: 13
Lightbulb Hi Pulkdahulk

Dear Pulkdahulk,
Can you advise me to go ahead and get a Canadian CPL & RT.
manny.sekh is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2011, 17:39
  #40 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: India
Posts: 5

hi all ,

tats a gud piece of info from all . i can figure out that there is a problem in getting 20 years of validity for ppl with rtr(p) in their renewals since it says the validity wud be till 20 yrs or till the validity of foreign cpl or foreign rt which ever expires first .(plz correct if im wrong) since a canadian rt is life time all tat has to be looked upon is regarding the licence validity which is mistook by the wpc ppl as valid till the date given in the booklet first page. it is true that a pilot cannot exercise his/her priviledge if the booklet is not valid.similary if the medical gets expired ( one year validity for age < 40 yrs ) he/she cannot exercise the priviledge as a commercial pilot . but the cpl licence is not expired as such . if thi scan be proven through a written statement from the licencing officer of transport canada or from the CAR section in which if this is mentioned cleary then i hope there wudnt be a problem for ppl with rtr(p) to get a validity of their rtr (p) renewed for 20 yrs.
Can any one provide some ideas in getting a letter or written statement for the same would be a of great help to all ppl who did their training and rt from common wealth country. info on canadian licence and rt wud be appriciated since ive been tryin to get info in the net from ransport canada website regading the validity of the canadian licence. hoping for a positive reply .... all the best guys/gals in ur renewals of Indian RT.
Capt.Raghav is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.