Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > South Asia and Far East Wannabes
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

South Asia and Far East Wannabes A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.

Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme

Old 26th Jan 2023, 06:19
  #7801 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Fragrant Harbour
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R0gueone
I think the majority of us who are active on this forum, have acquainted ourselves with the fact that we would be second officers for a long time. Nevertheless, despite the long course with little to no pay, and with only the prospect of one day possibly sitting left seat, its still enough to motivate us to one day be airline pilots with CX. Perhaps I have it wrong, and I only speak for myself. :-)​
If any top brass is reading your words here they would be absolutely delighted to see and they have no regret with what they did on POS18. Coz you have just proved them right. Reminds of the chicks who blindly chasing after "Mirror" on the street.
whitsunday is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 06:29
  #7802 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 17zhangtr1
I think you need to ask yourself if you truly understand what being a pilot is like and similarly what type of pilot you want to be (LH/Regional/Charter/Instructor?).
Ex boyfriend used to work for CX Dragon as a First Officer. At the interview he was given a choice to choose between CX and CX Dragon, he chose the latter, even though he hated to fly into China, I asked him why, he simply said, A) I did not want to be a babysitter for X years, B) CX is a sinking ship and I needed the hours as fast as I can. Even though he was sacked three years ago just like everyone else, he managed to seek employment with a US major airline, had his green card sorted out and now he's enjoying his free life. He told me, if I was a CX SO and I got sacked, I could not possibly find anyone to hire me with my P2X, because, apart from Cathay Pacific, no airlines in the world would consider my application, because I'm on P2X.

Honestly, I think the people who are so clinging on the cadetship scheme really underestimate the impact of P2X. All their eyes are fixing on the brand, on free lunch, on the guaranteed employment and the sort..If nothing happens then good for you, keep waiting, but if God forbid some catastrophe happen, such as Covid or any policy changes which result in 90 per cent of the fleet being grounded then you are trapped. Did I also mention that they are desperately seeking for Direct Entry First Officer as well? Many left but the line hasnít changed.

Thatís the reason I walked away.
trigonometry is offline  
Old 28th Jan 2023, 03:01
  #7803 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trigonometry
Ex boyfriend used to work for CX Dragon as a First Officer. At the interview he was given a choice to choose between CX and CX Dragon, he chose the latter, even though he hated to fly into China, I asked him why, he simply said, A) I did not want to be a babysitter for X years, B) CX is a sinking ship and I needed the hours as fast as I can. Even though he was sacked three years ago just like everyone else, he managed to seek employment with a US major airline, had his green card sorted out and now he's enjoying his free life. He told me, if I was a CX SO and I got sacked, I could not possibly find anyone to hire me with my P2X, because, apart from Cathay Pacific, no airlines in the world would consider my application, because I'm on P2X.

Honestly, I think the people who are so clinging on the cadetship scheme really underestimate the impact of P2X. All their eyes are fixing on the brand, on free lunch, on the guaranteed employment and the sort..If nothing happens then good for you, keep waiting, but if God forbid some catastrophe happen, such as Covid or any policy changes which result in 90 per cent of the fleet being grounded then you are trapped. Did I also mention that they are desperately seeking for Direct Entry First Officer as well? Many left but the line hasnít changed.

Thatís the reason I walked away.
An absolutely accurate assessment. The P2X is the bane of every SOs' existence, and until that changes, people who join do so at their peril. The greater problem these days is that CX has broken their own progression system. There is no real "line" anymore, with no limits on how long you can be stuck in the role.

A few years ago, before CX tore up everyones' contract, joining as an SO made sense. You would get in line and wait your turn for an upgrade based on seniority. There were annual pay increments up to the forth year, and every time the company hired a direct entry FO ahead of you, you would receive bypass pay, which grants you an FO salary while you awaited your turn. Additionally, the HKCAD also provided a guideline that it is expected that you do not hold a P2X for five years.

​​​​Now, there is no line. Upgrades are based on what fleet you get, and you don't really have a choice on where you end up. People with more experience may jump ahead of you. There is no longer bypass pay, and the company even laughs at the suggestion. DEFOs are hired at an unprecedented rate. The HKCAD also removed the five year guideline. There are only two pay grades now for SO, with the highest one lower than the first tier of what it was before. So, you could be stuck in the role for a very long time, not build any transferrable hours, deal with a perpetual pay ceiling, and the added stress of aging while watching possibly younger guys who were hired after you fly the airplane. Oh, and did you know that CX is also one of the pioneering airlines flirting with the idea of single pilot operations during cruise on the airbus?

Not trying to deter anyone, but you best consider whether the stuff happening in the latter paragraph is in anyway acceptable for you on your career path. Good luck.
Boulanger is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 07:41
  #7804 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Straya
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jo...program-916138

RequirementsApply now if you are/have:
  • The right to live and work in Hong Kong or the Chinese mainland​
  • Graduated from secondary school with good passes in English language and Mathematics or Science. An aviation degree will be an advantage.
  • Physically fit and qualified for a Civil Aviation Department (HKCAD) Class 1 Medical Certificate
  • Able to meet our flight deck reach requirements. Candidates may be asked to complete a static reach test and flight simulator reach assessment
  • Achieve ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) English Language Proficiency level 4 or above
  • Aged 18 years or above
  • COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
Hong Kong Permanent Resident will be given priority consideration

You will receive more information about joining Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong as a Second Officer upon successful completion of the Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme.
It's happening...
ChrissyPrezzie is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 11:33
  #7805 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Fragrant Harbour
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrissyPrezzie
Not surprised. CX is turning to a Chinese Airlines sure they would love to screw our Mainland counterparts. And the good thing is, people from the North are actually willing to be screwed. How funny is that.
whitsunday is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2023, 06:19
  #7806 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone with prior flight experience and/or a PPL done the final interviews recently? Can you please share the questions that you were asked? Any other info would be appreciated!
Thanks!
ay380 is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2023, 00:58
  #7807 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AstridLLL
I have received the invitation for the computer based test 2 days ago. Anyone who has similar process with me, feel free to reach out.

btw, Iím located overseas now. CX said I can complete the the ICAO at later stages. Would it be after / before the panel interview assuming I can pass the computer based test.

Cheers !
Hi Astrid, how long did it take you to hear back re your application? Did you have to go back to hk for your Computer based assessments?
deepenbhai is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2023, 01:33
  #7808 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for people to practice mock-in/interview questions with.

Last edited by PHAK_152; 3rd Aug 2023 at 03:24.
PHAK_152 is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2023, 10:11
  #7809 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boulanger
An absolutely accurate assessment. The P2X is the bane of every SOs' existence, and until that changes, people who join do so at their peril. The greater problem these days is that CX has broken their own progression system. There is no real "line" anymore, with no limits on how long you can be stuck in the role.

A few years ago, before CX tore up everyones' contract, joining as an SO made sense. You would get in line and wait your turn for an upgrade based on seniority. There were annual pay increments up to the forth year, and every time the company hired a direct entry FO ahead of you, you would receive bypass pay, which grants you an FO salary while you awaited your turn. Additionally, the HKCAD also provided a guideline that it is expected that you do not hold a P2X for five years.

​​​​Now, there is no line. Upgrades are based on what fleet you get, and you don't really have a choice on where you end up. People with more experience may jump ahead of you. There is no longer bypass pay, and the company even laughs at the suggestion. DEFOs are hired at an unprecedented rate. The HKCAD also removed the five year guideline. There are only two pay grades now for SO, with the highest one lower than the first tier of what it was before. So, you could be stuck in the role for a very long time, not build any transferrable hours, deal with a perpetual pay ceiling, and the added stress of aging while watching possibly younger guys who were hired after you fly the airplane. Oh, and did you know that CX is also one of the pioneering airlines flirting with the idea of single pilot operations during cruise on the airbus?

Not trying to deter anyone, but you best consider whether the stuff happening in the latter paragraph is in anyway acceptable for you on your career path. Good luck.
Bang on!
trigonometry is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2023, 16:35
  #7810 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech interview

Hi guys i have my hr and tech interview soon

is anyone keen to share their experience re both? It would be much appreciated. Pls pm me
deepenbhai is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2023, 13:14
  #7811 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: HK
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys

i am seeking your advice for the selection process
my application was submitted on 7/2 and still no news so far

is anyone keen to share their experience re both? It would be much appreciated. Pls pm me
KinGsDowN is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2023, 08:38
  #7812 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Straya
Posts: 32
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KinGsDowN
Hi guys

i am seeking your advice for the selection process
my application was submitted on 7/2 and still no news so far

is anyone keen to share their experience re both? It would be much appreciated. Pls pm me
Are you that lazy? Or you are actually deepenbhai?
ChrissyPrezzie is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2023, 09:45
  #7813 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrissyPrezzie
Are you that lazy? Or you are actually deepenbhai?
LOL what the heck
deepenbhai is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2023, 13:34
  #7814 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi KinGsDowN

Some rumours says if you don’t owns any flying experience, you will be placed in a latter position than applicants who have had.
Applicants who with flying experience usually will be contacted within 1~2 weeks
For whom haven’t, you will expect a much longer radio silence, some says up to 2 months

wish you will get your reply soon, at the same time, keep yourself busy and fit for ICAO English Exam & Aptitude Test
prior preparation prevent poor performance
Good Luck


Fuyukikun is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 10:24
  #7815 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuyukikun
Hi KinGsDowN

Some rumours says if you donít owns any flying experience, you will be placed in a latter position than applicants who have had.
Applicants who with flying experience usually will be contacted within 1~2 weeks
For whom havenít, you will expect a much longer radio silence, some says up to 2 months

wish you will get your reply soon, at the same time, keep yourself busy and fit for ICAO English Exam & Aptitude Test
prior preparation prevent poor performance
Good Luck
That is just not true. I have friends who waited two weeks for the ICAO thing and they don't even have any hours under their belt.
I guess it's all about the stuff that you put in on your application and that includes the cover letter. Remember, you are beating against the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), meaning AI.
If your apps can't pass the robot then there is no way it will get into the human's hands.
Same goes to any other jobs in any other industry.
trigonometry is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 05:14
  #7816 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just finished the final interview tech part last Thur.
Received calls from Cathay asking me to submit my medical records based on my medical in confidence from.
Is that a good sign showing I might passed the final interview?

Its been a week and I am quite nervous about it...
How long in average you guys will receive the invitation to medical check?
HermannGuwalgiya is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 12:34
  #7817 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: HKG
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, if application has disappeared from portal, does it mean you're unsuccessful?
RidingWings is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2023, 14:08
  #7818 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingWings
Hey guys, if application has disappeared from portal, does it mean you're unsuccessful?
yes, usually you can reapply 9 months later
Fuyukikun is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2023, 15:44
  #7819 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HermannGuwalgiya
Hi Guys,

Just finished the final interview tech part last Thur.
Received calls from Cathay asking me to submit my medical records based on my medical in confidence from.
Is that a good sign showing I might passed the final interview?

Its been a week and I am quite nervous about it...
How long in average you guys will receive the invitation to medical check?
It's positive about your final interview. Once you submitted all required documents, they will contact you in 1-2 weeks time and arrange a medical assessment in cxc
ETA350 is offline  
Old 1st Mar 2023, 08:17
  #7820 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with flying experience went to the final stage interview recently ?
Did they drill deep into your aviation knowledge?
Please DM me if so.
Thanks in advance
Thomasontheground is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.