PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Rumours & News (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news-13/)
-   -   EC notice on BREXIT issued, licenses/certificates invalid (https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/607757-ec-notice-brexit-issued-licenses-certificates-invalid.html)

JliderPilot 6th Apr 2019 08:42

Anyone know what the current turnaround time is for a UK to EASA conversion?

fdgolf 6th Apr 2019 15:31


Originally Posted by JliderPilot (Post 10440522)
Anyone know what the current turnaround time is for a UK to EASA conversion?

Fellows where I work have recently transferred from UK CAA to Spain's AESA in as little as 22 days...

Cheers

Peter_CDG 7th Apr 2019 18:01

I had a chat with AustoControl and the German LBA last week regarding my license transfer. Especially AustroControl was very customer friendly and I have been told; as long as you start the license transfer before Brexit, you will be all-right. Even if they do not receive the required paperwork from the UK CAA on time, you will keep your EASA privileges. The license will be issued as soon as they receive the documents from the UK CAA. This has been confirmed be the LBA as well.

fdgolf 8th Apr 2019 15:15

de facto

When did the CAA charge you the fees for Doc 155 and medical release?

Thanks

CW247 11th Apr 2019 06:33

So I'm in a situation where I could be denied a job by an European carrier/AOC flying outbound from UK airports to outside the EU because EASA have provided no assurances to them that UK licenses will still be valid on their AOC. Unfortunately, I need a UK license by the terms of my current employment whilst serving my employment notice. So cannot start the process.

Yes, the foreign carrier on the day of Brexit is somehow sure that they will be allowed by the UK to continue flying but they cannot employ a Brit with a Brit license just in case. The irony? The carrier was brought in to replace the work my old airline was doing prior to my redundancy.

On another note, now that we know we are not leaving without a deal until October 2019 end. As far as an airline should be concerned, I have 6 months to convert right? In the event of a deal based Brexit prior to this, the so-called "transition period" of 2 years will allow my UK license to remain an EASA license for a little longer anyway. Is this how EASA views it? Or is the predicament the same even in a deal based Brexit?

Thanks

Artus KG 16th Apr 2019 21:09

I am still not sure if Brexit will happen at all but I am wondering which NAAs you guys consider competent and a good choice to go to in case a hard and nasty (for pilots) Brexit seems more and more likely. Things that are of interest to me are
- is the NAA likely to quickly introduce new ratings such as recently EIR/CBIR and in the future BIR
- does the NAA either have a large and accessible pool of examiners or easy rules on accepting examiners from other EASA NAAs
- is the price structure at least somewhat sensible (ie, AustroControl is a lot more expensive than the LBA)
- is the NAA know for stupid deviations from part fcl (the LBA's ZUP / admissibility check comes to mind)
- other things I am not aware of as I am just a new PPL holder who just barely needs his first revalidation)

babymike737 20th Apr 2019 13:42

It seems you were right

Skyjob 21st Apr 2019 09:34


Originally Posted by CW247 (Post 10444807)
So I'm in a situation where I could be denied a job by an European carrier/AOC flying outbound from UK airports to outside the EU because EASA have provided no assurances to them that UK licenses will still be valid on their AOC. Unfortunately, I need a UK license by the terms of my current employment whilst serving my employment notice. So cannot start the process.

Yes, the foreign carrier on the day of Brexit is somehow sure that they will be allowed by the UK to continue flying but they cannot employ a Brit with a Brit license just in case. The irony? The carrier was brought in to replace the work my old airline was doing prior to my redundancy.

On another note, now that we know we are not leaving without a deal until October 2019 end. As far as an airline should be concerned, I have 6 months to convert right? In the event of a deal based Brexit prior to this, the so-called "transition period" of 2 years will allow my UK license to remain an EASA license for a little longer anyway. Is this how EASA views it? Or is the predicament the same even in a deal based Brexit?

Thanks

Are you already serving your notice?
If so, you can start the process of transfer provided you do not have any further simulator checks.
Your transfer of licence can be started and will not be complete until you surrender your old license, so as long as paperwork is in order and ready when you want/need to, you should be fine.
If not serving your notice yet, plan accordingly.

Icarus2001 1st Aug 2019 03:04

So this thread has gone quiet for the last three months.

It appears that BoJo is intent on leaving the EU without a deal. Treasury is spending big accordingly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49183324 GBP2.1 billion pounds in extra funding.

The effect on aviation?

Raski 1st Aug 2019 09:00


Originally Posted by Icarus2001 (Post 10533585)
So this thread has gone quiet for the last three months.

It appears that BoJo is intent on leaving the EU without a deal. Treasury is spending big accordingly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49183324 GBP2.1 billion pounds in extra funding.

The effect on aviation?

None.
If brexit will happen UK CAA will remain under the EASA umbrella, external member.
I would not lose my sleep on that.
The last 3 years were pretty funny in seeing that the UK goverment is not able to handle brexit.

Speed of Sound 1st Aug 2019 09:46


Originally Posted by Raski (Post 10533768)


None.
If brexit will happen UK CAA will remain under the EASA umbrella, external member.
I would not lose my sleep on that.
The last 3 years were pretty funny in seeing that the UK goverment is not able to handle brexit.

Wouldn’t the CAA have to apply for associate membership?

robin 1st Aug 2019 10:08

And they'd have to accept falling under the auspicies of the European Courts. That's anathema to BoJo and his team.


portos8 1st Aug 2019 10:11


Originally Posted by Speed of Sound (Post 10533818)


Wouldn’t the CAA have to apply for associate membership?

And would EASA "associate" membership be subject to the UK accepting the 4 freedoms of the EU (something Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein seem to have done)?

Raski 1st Aug 2019 10:41


Originally Posted by portos8 (Post 10533843)
And would EASA "associate" membership be subject to the UK accepting the 4 freedoms of the EU (something Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein seem to have done)?

they will have too.

Raski 1st Aug 2019 10:42


Originally Posted by robin (Post 10533837)
And they'd have to accept falling under the auspicies of the European Courts. That's anathema to BoJo and his team.

i think bojo will have to change his mind on many issues...and he will.

portos8 1st Aug 2019 11:26


Originally Posted by Raski (Post 10533865)


i think bojo will have to change his mind on many issues...and he will.

So he will have to accept the 4 fundamental freedoms of the EU ( free movement of goods, services, capital and persons within the EU, the famous “four freedoms” set out in the Treaty of Rome ) plus the ECJ jurisdiction for the UK to stay in EASA.

Somehow I can not see this happen.

Denti 1st Aug 2019 12:31

Why would the EU offer an EASA membership for a third country that just destroyed a peace treaty they have signed, does not fulfill its past obligations and seriously disrupts EU commerce? Answer: It wouldn't. Easy as that. The EU has already done its homework with its unilateral no deal legislation that it can withdraw without prior notice at any time, just protecting its own interests. And Airlines, workers, shareholders in a third country are not an interest to the EU.

Speed of Sound 1st Aug 2019 18:05


Originally Posted by portos8 (Post 10533898)
So he will have to accept the 4 fundamental freedoms of the EU ( free movement of goods, services, capital and persons within the EU, the famous “four freedoms” set out in the Treaty of Rome ) plus the ECJ jurisdiction for the UK to stay in EASA.

Somehow I can not see this happen.

The UK has no choice.

Either it becomes an associate member of another regulatory authority elsewhere in the world, which will take months just to sort the paperwork or the CAA becomes a full, internationally recognised, regulatory authority which will take the best part of a decade.

The only way that the UK can continue to fly on 1 November is to approach the EU for associate membership of EASA, BEFORE that date and face off the idiots at home who are refusing to have any links with the EU or ECJ.

777JRM 1st Aug 2019 19:38

Remember that EASA is not the EU.

Further, the CAA was independent once before; if they pull their finger out, they can be so again!

The UK does have a choice, and should not be weak when faced with such scaremongering!

By your patronising reckoning, I must be an ‘idiot’.

How other non-EU airlines somehow work it out, is beyond my feeble, idiotic brain cells, but all is not lost.

Tom Sawyer 2nd Aug 2019 03:57


Originally Posted by 777JRM (Post 105343)
How other non-EU airlines somehow work it out, is beyond my feeble, idiotic brain cells, but all is not lost.

Probably because they operate under their NAA with approved regulations and Licences already in place that have no doubt taken years to develop and evolve. Come 1st November, in event of a hard exit, what approved and legislated regulations and Licences will the CAA have in place? As yet I have not seen anything issued by them as a standalone NAA, or advice that they have all this in place ready to go.


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:48.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.