Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls

Old 26th Aug 2019, 20:12
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2 plane diverted to Porto after pilot falls ill at the controls

A pilot fell ill at the controls of an aeroplane flying from Manchester to the Atlantic island of Madeira, forcing the flight to be diverted to northern Portugal.The airline, Jet2, confirmed that the aircraft had to land in Porto on Monday, adding that a replacement aircraft and crew had been dispatched to get passengers to their proper destination. According to one report, which Jet2 did not confirm, the other pilot was joined in the cabin by a passenger, who helped land the plane. They made the announcement that there had been an incident on the flight deck and another Jet2 pilot who happened to be on holiday came forward from the back of the plane,” MailOnline quoted one of the passengers as saying.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ra-plane-porto
slfool is offline  
Old 26th Aug 2019, 21:32
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Oop North, UK
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to admire the Suns ability to overdramatise! “Hero off duty pilot lands plane” - completely ignores the fact there would have been a first officer who should have been more than competent to do this by himself, yes good that the off duty guy gave a hand, but not really “hero” stuff!
foxmoth is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 07:15
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know it wasn’t the First Officer who was ill?!
DuctOvht is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 07:19
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: UK
Age: 67
Posts: 1,322
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DuctOvht View Post
How do you know it wasn’t the First Officer who was ill?!
Is Funchal still a Captains only landing?
beardy is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 07:26
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot ill, diversion. One donk quits, press on for 2h20.

I know which airline I'd prefer to travel with.
Final 3 Greens is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 07:41
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Oop North, UK
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DuctOvht View Post
How do you know it wasn’t the First Officer who was ill?!
then of course you still have the Captain who should be even more competent!
foxmoth is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 08:46
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: 🇬🇧🇪🇸
Posts: 2,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, FNC is Captain only approach, landing and take off. Anyway, medical care is far more comprehensive on the Mainland than Madeira. Incapacitation of a Flight Crew member is a Mayday where I’m from, LAND ASAP.
Nightstop is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 13:03
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Having a margarita on the beach
Age: 50
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently the Cpt was incapacitated.

Off Duty Pilot Helps Out When Jet2 Boeing 757 Captain Falls Unwell
sonicbum is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 20:21
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Oop North, UK
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A rather more balanced report from the DT!
foxmoth is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 04:48
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: s england
Posts: 229
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nightstop
I’m not sure I’d use the terminology Land ASAP.
I’ve not seen an FM or OM say that.
I hope they make a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited by sudden twang; 28th Aug 2019 at 05:01.
sudden twang is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 06:28
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North England
Posts: 75
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudden twang View Post
Nightstop
I’m not sure I’d use the terminology Land ASAP.
I’ve not seen an FM or OM say that.
I hope they make a full and speedy recovery.
Here’s the correct “terminology”...


Declare an emergency ("MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY") and plan to land at the nearest suitable airport. Consider the following factors:

Increased workload.

Weather conditions.

Familiarity with alternate airports.

Bam Thwok is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 07:33
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: 🇬🇧🇪🇸
Posts: 2,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the ECAM could detect pilot incapacitation, it would display LAND ASAP. Are you suggesting we fly onwards for hours with only one conscious pilot?
Nightstop is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 09:22
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: london
Posts: 743
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you suggesting we fly onwards for hours with only one conscious pilot?
For those rotary pilots who fly single crew, at night, into unsurveyed sites with sick patients in the back, this could be an interesting debate

Sipping my G and T in the back I would rather the FO flew into an airport he was familiar with, especially if relatively inexperienced. The risk of a second incapacitation is statistically tiny over a matter of hours.
homonculus is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 10:22
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 309
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homonculus View Post
For those rotary pilots who fly single crew, at night, into unsurveyed sites with sick patients in the back, this could be an interesting debate

Sipping my G and T in the back I would rather the FO flew into an airport he was familiar with, especially if relatively inexperienced. The risk of a second incapacitation is statistically tiny over a matter of hours.
Comparing apples and oranges. The rotary pilot who flies single crew is operating an aircraft that is certified for single crew operation. A B757 is not certified for single crew operation, hence why they landed at a suitable airfield.

Funchal is a captains only landing so even if the F/O pushed on, he would not have been able to land in Funchal and had to divert to Porto Santo. Another airfield he might never have been.

Whilst statistically the risk of a second incapacitation might be small, it really depends on the reason for the incapacitation. It could be due to a batch of dodgy food or drink. Statistically it might be a very small risk but not a risk that should be taken lightly at 38000 feet.
CEJM is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 10:38
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: uk
Posts: 901
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And in the meantime the incapacitated pilot is not receiving medical care. Does anyone think it unreasonable to divert so that a sick passenger can receive treatment?
deltahotel is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 11:44
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Oop North, UK
Posts: 3,073
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deltahotel View Post
And in the meantime the incapacitated pilot is not receiving medical care. Does anyone think it unreasonable to divert so that a sick passenger can receive treatment?
that echoes my thoughts that people seemed to forget about the poor guy who was ill, yes it may have just been some sort of faint, but how do you know until it has been properly checked out!?
foxmoth is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 14:45
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Not At Home
Posts: 2,448
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homonculus View Post
For those rotary pilots who fly single crew, at night, into unsurveyed sites with sick patients in the back, this could be an interesting debate

Sipping my G and T in the back I would rather the FO flew into an airport he was familiar with, especially if relatively inexperienced. The risk of a second incapacitation is statistically tiny over a matter of hours.
Which has nothing to do with multicrew aircraft operations. Why even post?

p.s when one engine fails the second usually doesn’t fail either. Usually..
EcamSurprise is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 16:06
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: s england
Posts: 229
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightstop View Post
If the ECAM could detect pilot incapacitation, it would display LAND ASAP. Are you suggesting we fly onwards for hours with only one conscious pilot?
Nope not what I was getting at.

sudden twang is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 16:35
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: California
Posts: 361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CEJM View Post


Comparing apples and oranges. The rotary pilot who flies single crew is operating an aircraft that is certified for single crew operation. A B757 is not certified for single crew operation, hence why they landed at a suitable airfield.

Funchal is a captains only landing so even if the F/O pushed on, he would not have been able to land in Funchal and had to divert to Porto Santo. Another airfield he might never have been.

Whilst statistically the risk of a second incapacitation might be small, it really depends on the reason for the incapacitation. It could be due to a batch of dodgy food or drink. Statistically it might be a very small risk but not a risk that should be taken lightly at 38000 feet.
By not "certified for single crew operation" are you implying that it cannot be flown by a single pilot? I guess every flight will have to carry a spare pilot so that there will (almost) always be 2 up front.
MarcK is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2019, 17:13
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Under the radar, over the rainbow
Posts: 707
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcK View Post
By not "certified for single crew operation" are you implying that it cannot be flown by a single pilot? I guess every flight will have to carry a spare pilot so that there will (almost) always be 2 up front.
Of course it can be flown by a single pilot -- unless and until the workload increases (for some reason) to the point where it can't.

Are we really having an argument about whether or not it's a good idea to "land nearest suitable" when one of two pilots on a commercial airliner has become incapacitated?
OldnGrounded is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.