Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Airlines must be majority EU owned

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Airlines must be majority EU owned

Old 12th Feb 2019, 18:17
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good article.
Hopefully the politicians will get on with it promptly, like the UK-US agreement back in November.

777JRM is offline  
Old 12th Feb 2019, 18:35
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 58
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Aisle

Indeed an interesting read.
I can see why Willie Walsh is so cool!
And MOL not!
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 12th Feb 2019, 18:37
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: scotland
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really illustrates the idiotic way in which both sides have carried out the negotiations.
occasional is offline  
Old 12th Feb 2019, 19:07
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Moonbase A
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents,

no bone in it but!
the UK GDP now has nothing to do with GDP post Brexit.
the UK GDP now is because of the EU whether you like it or not!
I sincerely hope UK GDP will sustain after Brexit, but sadly the signs are not good. That is based on numerous indicators.
Disclaimer amateur investor talking.
sjimmy is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 00:08
  #65 (permalink)  
Scourge of Bad Airline Management!
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Global Nomad
Age: 54
Posts: 1,060
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We actually get a whole lot of benefits from being a member, rather than just the raw fiscal numbers you quote.

The CBI estimates that the net benefit of EU membership is worth 4-5% of GDP to the UK, or £62bn-£78bn per year. In 2014, the ONS reported that the EU, which is the world's biggest economy, accounted for 44.6 per cent of all UK exports of goods and services, and 53.2 per cent of the UK's imports of goods and services.
TwinAisle is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 07:47
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Under a Rock
Age: 53
Posts: 84
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Blast and Hamster wheel

Fairly negative thread drift into should we stay or go. Think most of the comments belong in the other forums - keep this channel open for hard facts / informed opinions on how airline ownership will or will not be affected post Brexit and, I guess, its potential consequence for us involved with it.Looks like we have nine months grace in any case....
Wickerbill is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:14
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: I wouldn't know.
Posts: 4,470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickerbill View Post
Fairly negative thread drift into should we stay or go. Think most of the comments belong in the other forums - keep this channel open for hard facts / informed opinions on how airline ownership will or will not be affected post Brexit and, I guess, its potential consequence for us involved with it.Looks like we have nine months grace in any case....
Amen.

However, just 7 months for airline ownership. 9 months for licenses and approvals. 12 months for traffic rights. All of that can be revoked unilaterally by the EU, it is granted, not a right. It is basically the EU protecting its own interest, and those do not necessarily have to align with a third country that reneges on internationally binding agreements.
Denti is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:46
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 60 north
Age: 58
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK medical on EASA ops.

Slight drift.
The IAA has confirmed a process whereby they will issue a replacement Irish medical certificate which will become valid in case of a no-deal Brexit.
The next medical has to be with a EU approved AME.
After a hard Brexit any UK AME can apply for EASA approval.
Good to see at least someone has a plan!
Cudos to IAA

A Healthy Day to All
Regards
Cpt B
BluSdUp is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 17:16
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 44
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 777JRM View Post
The point being, that 1/28 is little influence, and as the EU continues on it’s further integration plans, this factor will diminish.
It is amazing how other countries succeed outside the EU (Norway and Switzerland come first and second in the Legatum Prosperity Index), we should stop selling ourselves short, consider the opportunities, and try it.

Apologies for thread creep, back to the aviation.....
The UK does not stand alone in the EU. She has her allies, and has traditionally been able to form a lot of how the EU works to her satisfaction. The Netherlands and Denmark, among others, are not only sad to see the UK leave because of the loss of business, but also because they will lose a key alliance partner.

Further integration will not diminish the influence of the EU parliament, quite the contrary. And before you say 'Germany rules anyway', do make notice of the recent decision on Nord Stream II, which says any future negotiations shall be between Russia and the EU, rather between Russian and individual EU nations. This was decided much to the consternation of Germany but, vitally, it removes a strategic advantage from Russia, as they are no longer able to manipulate individual nations by playing them against the other. Nor can they threaten to cut off the supply to a single nation (expensive but affordable if there's strategic value to it), as such an act would mean they'll have to cut off all of Europe (equal to signing their own economic death warrant).

As for the success of Norway and Switzerland; one is a nation of 4,5 million people sitting on the largest gas reserves in Europe. The other has centuries of tradition for neutrality and a safe place for rich people to park their money. Do try buying a beer and burger in Norway, or booking a hotel room in Geneva, then get back to us.
SMT Member is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2019, 21:59
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have done both actually, and similar to London prices!

Both countries have the financial freedom to apply whatever measures are relevant to their own individual economies, unlike those in the euro, such as Greece for example.
777JRM is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2019, 22:13
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,045
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have done both actually, and similar to London prices!
Bit not similar to Middlesbrough or Preston probably
22/04 is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2019, 22:21
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably correct.
But I did find a relatively cheap Irish bar in Geneva!
777JRM is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2019, 17:40
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 5,859
Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts
I note the "relatively" - care to share the address???

Norway - always either bloody expensive or outrageously expensive - but if you have so much energy to sell........
Asturias56 is online now  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 02:29
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pub
Posts: 50
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluSdUp View Post
Slight drift.
The IAA has confirmed a process whereby they will issue a replacement Irish medical certificate which will become valid in case of a no-deal Brexit.
The next medical has to be with a EU approved AME.
After a hard Brexit any UK AME can apply for EASA approval.
Good to see at least someone has a plan!
Cudos to IAA

A Healthy Day to All
Regards
Cpt B
Can you elaborate to which cases does the "replacement medical" issued apply to?
lilpilot is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 00:38
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Home
Posts: 32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
Amen.

However, just 7 months for airline ownership. 9 months for licenses and approvals. 12 months for traffic rights. All of that can be revoked unilaterally by the EU, it is granted, not a right. It is basically the EU protecting its own interest, and those do not necessarily have to align with a third country that reneges on internationally binding agreements.
What is the reference for the 9 month extension for licenses? I cannot find anything to confirm that Uk issued EASA licenses will be valid beyond 29 March to fly on an EASA AOC.
Arthur1815 is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 14:10
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: I wouldn't know.
Posts: 4,470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur1815 View Post


What is the reference for the 9 month extension for licenses? I cannot find anything to confirm that Uk issued EASA licenses will be valid beyond 29 March to fly on an EASA AOC.
It is not yet put into law or a concrete letter to stakeholders, but it is a proposal by the EU Commission and therefore is very likely to be implemented.

See European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Brexit: European Commission implements ?no-deal? Contingency Action Plan in specific sectors under Transport.
Denti is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2019, 06:12
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 65
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
It is not yet put into law or a concrete letter to stakeholders, but it is a proposal by the EU Commission and therefore is very likely to be implemented.
The press release states:
Originally Posted by European Commission
This is subject to the UK conferring equivalent rights to EU air carriers, as well as the UK ensuring conditions of fair competition.
I'm not currently aware of a UK response. Does anyone on PPRuNe know of a response?

I am concerned that gov.uk might forget to respond. It does have a lot to do, and too little time, in the event of no deal.
PAX_Britannica is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2019, 07:57
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: USS Enterprise
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
It is not yet put into law or a concrete letter to stakeholders, but it is a proposal by the EU Commission and therefore is very likely to be implemented.

See European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Brexit: European Commission implements ?no-deal? Contingency Action Plan in specific sectors under Transport.
Hi Denti,

Unless i missed something, Iím not sure pilot licences are covered by the EC proposal you mentioned.

this is the annex attached for aviation
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...ects-annex.pdf

I canít find anything else about pilot licences or certificates related to EU 1178/2011 (aircrew regulation - annex I to IV).


Last edited by BONES_; 21st Feb 2019 at 08:08.
BONES_ is online now  
Old 21st Feb 2019, 10:08
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: I wouldn't know.
Posts: 4,470
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I have to say up til now i mainly did read the press releases on this issue. The only thing i can find is Article 9 in https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info...nnectivity.pdf, where it states that licenses and certificates of competency will still be valid, however only for the use within UK airlines. Which is of course a concern for those working in the EU on UK licenses. Which might be a reason why the orange bunch switched their european based pilots to austrian licenses (except german nationals who stay on german licenses).
Denti is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.