Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Sheer Bad Luck

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Sheer Bad Luck

Reply

Old 6th Jun 2018, 08:25
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Galway
Posts: 52
Sheer Bad Luck

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36981116.html

Davey Emcee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 09:10
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Here.
Posts: 653
Very sad report.
Maybe this link should also be posted in the “Inadvertant IMC Question” thread as a lesson to us all.
KNIEVEL77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 09:17
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,594
Here is the thread

Pauk Hanannt saying it was "sheer bad luck", WTF?? [Whats an ex senior investigator doing by being subjective about an AAIB report anyway?
It is simple unadulterated poor airmanship - nothing more, nothing less. He killed half his entire family because he pushed his luck not because of bad luck. He wasn't qualified to be where he was when he was.

Bad luck - bad luck is getting to his destination late because he had to land because of the weather. That's bad luck FFS.


Early days and it is PPRuNe....

I was first on scene in the police helicopter when we found the wreckage of a FW that had stoofed just shy of the summit in this vicinity in Snowdon. The driver had bought the farm but there was one survivor who we airlifted to hospital. He recalled much later on stating that the pilot had worked out his MSA based on the leg he should have taken but was 'put off' by the bad weather in the area and deviated slightly but still used the MSA he had planned on. He hit just shy of the summit by 200 feet - CFIT.

I suspect (based on experience) that when the words PPL holder and IMC are thrown into the mix - it eventually forms the last two holes in the swiss cheese model.
Pilots who go inadvertent IMC who DO NOT have a current IMC rating WITH recent currency, are committing potential suicide.
If he was current and qualified - it could well have been miscalc of MSA / heading, or of course the rare issue of mechanical problem(s).
My money is on inadvertent IMC with a PPL attached.

RiP guys.

Next...........................
Thomas coupling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 10:57
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Nigeria
Age: 51
Posts: 4,184
Pauk Hanannt saying it was "sheer bad luck", WTF?? [Whats an ex senior investigator doing by being subjective about an AAIB report anyway?
It is simple unadulterated poor airmanship - nothing more, nothing less. He killed half his entire family because he pushed his luck not because of bad luck. He wasn't qualified to be where he was when he was.
It wasn't Paul that said that - it was the coroner:

In conclusion, HM Senior Coroner for North West Wales, Dewi Pritchard Jones, said Mr Burke's training and licence was for flying in conditions where he was able to see the terrain and that "ideally" he should have turned back in the thick cloud.
He pointed out that near Trawsfynydd there was an area of "relatively flattish land" and said: "Had he seen that through the cloud I am certain that would have given him the false confidence that he was at a good and safe height above ground level.

"Unfortunately, Rhinog Fawr is not a mountain that gradually increases in height. It is more a series of walls of steep ridges and rocks.

"My belief is that his instruments would not have given him much warning of the ridges.
"Being at the height he was, it was inevitable he would hit that ridge. It led to the complete destruction of the aircraft.

Recording verdicts of misadventure for all five deceased, he said: "Here we have a situation of sheer bad luck. This aircraft was not greatly below its safe height. It just clipped the mountainside."
212man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 11:53
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Used to be God's own County
Posts: 1,470
Originally Posted by 212man View Post
It wasn't Paul that said that - it was the coroner:
This aircraft was not greatly below its safe height. It just clipped the mountainside."
complete lack of comprehension of what PPL and no IR means..........
EESDL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 13:02
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location, location - is very important when buying a house.
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by EESDL View Post
complete lack of comprehension of what PPL and no IR means..........
Er...irrelevant. If the aircraft clipped the mountainside then surely it was below it's safety height, regardless of the pilot's licence or qualifications? But perhaps that was your point?
FP.
Frying Pan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 14:12
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: EGDC
Posts: 6,798
TC has it right - this wasn't bad luck but pressonitis - the weather was forecast to be poor between his points of departure and landing but he cracked on, over very hostile terrain and into poor weather.

It would have been so easy to go around rather than through Snowdonia or just turn round - but he knew better......................................
crab@SAAvn.co.uk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 14:35
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hotel Gypsy
Posts: 2,548
It was also sheer bad luck the he lifted out of J13 5-up and full fuel; that'll be 150kgs of bad luck.

Most pilots who thump into hills in cloud aren't unlucky. This chap falls into the 'most' category.
Cows getting bigger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 15:00
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 458
I suppose if you are "Only a little bit below safety altitude" then you only get a little bit killed?

For a coroner to describe that as "bad luck" is bordering on misconduct IMHO!

One man's bad luck is another man's egregious negligence.
OvertHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 16:26
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: "Deplorable but happy as a drunken Monkey!
Age: 69
Posts: 14,843
Bad Luck....errrr....perhaps not.

But...it is contagious amongst those who leave us early.

Smart Pilot - Flying the Alaska Highway...VFR?
SASless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 17:42
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,126
I'm taking several things from the linked article:
"complex weather system" in the Snowdonia mountains
surprise party
he had consumed cocaine at some point prior to the crash
That shows an attitude problem.
Unfortunate is that successful business owners rarely make successful pilots, those business decision making skills do not transfer over or rarely do.
If he'd been alone it would have been a more understandable decision to press on. In the company and being responsible for unsuspecting passengers, family members even, that shows me that he was probably a habitual "rule" breaker.
Paid the price too.
B2N2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2018, 21:37
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,594
How many more will die in this way? What is it with people who display elements of wealth and/or power, that makes them think the rules don't apply to them?
I've lost track of those men (it's never women) who portray these traits killing themselves (which is fine) but why do they take so many innocent victims with them?
If ever there was a calling for compulsory human factors courses for starters - it is this and it is now!
Thomas coupling is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 00:39
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 2,198
How many more will die in this way?
Lots

megan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 07:32
  #14 (permalink)  

 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wycombe, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 66
Posts: 3,581
Fate is the hunter.....
paco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 08:51
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 458
Originally Posted by paco View Post
Fate is the hunter.....
Indeed Paco... But it seems to me that often it does not need to hunt too hard - People just throw themselves out in front of it!
OvertHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 08:58
  #16 (permalink)  

 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wycombe, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 66
Posts: 3,581
That's for sure. One reason why I refused to do private owners when I was a TRE.
paco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:02
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 458
Originally Posted by paco View Post
That's for sure. One reason why I refused to do private owners when I was a TRE.
Must be a real worry for TREs (especially the freelancers who don't have the protection of being part of an in-houe training system) in this day and age of aggressive litigation and finger pointing.

I know of more than one TRE who has ended up being cross examined about a check he'd carried out months or years before at inquests and inquiries by an aggressive barrister determined to shift the blame anywhere other than his client.
OvertHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:20
  #18 (permalink)  

 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wycombe, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 66
Posts: 3,581
Yes, especially for a freelance, but it wasn't so much that as not willing to be responsible for letting someone with an attitude problem loose....

The trouble is, they behave properly on the test, then revert to the attitude.
paco is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 10:53
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brantisvogan
Posts: 286
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling View Post
How many more will die in this way? What is it with people who display elements of wealth and/or power, that makes them think the rules don't apply to them?
I've lost track of those men (it's never women) who portray these traits killing themselves (which is fine) but why do they take so many innocent victims with them?
If ever there was a calling for compulsory human factors courses for starters - it is this and it is now!
Let's remember that a great many successful people manage to fly quite safely, we just only hear about the occasional fool.
On balance there are far more lowly paid pilots that manage to remove themselves from the gene pool through acts of sheer stupidity than any risk-taking entrepreneur.
Bell_ringer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2018, 11:13
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: yorkshire uk
Posts: 1,392
Ahh but that doesn’t satisfy the chippy nature of some of our professional pilots on this forum !!! The argument that rich people are spoilt and arrogant etc and this makes them dangerous pilots is flimsy .... I could say that the poor , working class pilots I have met and employed have a tendency to be a bit stupid ( lack of education) and are so humble that they will not question their bosses commands . Also their accents can be difficult to understand on the radio !!!!
nigelh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service