Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Top of the World: photos from Nepal

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Top of the World: photos from Nepal

Old 13th Oct 2018, 18:00
  #5381 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 295
Any chance this was you, noted the tail over the edge? Always amazed with this thread.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nepal-g...rm-2018-10-13/

havoc is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 18:03
  #5382 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brantisvogan
Posts: 608
VF could never admit being in a 407. They run out of puff at 500ft and are a terrible substitute for a flying rodent
Bell_ringer is online now  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 18:32
  #5383 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 319
500ft??

that must be the high performance model right?
GrayHorizonsHeli is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 20:29
  #5384 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol/Bath
Age: 57
Posts: 77
Namaste VF,

Your posts just continue to blow me away, they really are an amazing collection of photos from such an amazing looking place. Must visit it sometime before I die!

Keep up the great work!

JBL
JBL99 is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 22:35
  #5385 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by havoc View Post
Any chance this was you, noted the tail over the edge?
It wasn't VF, it was Capt Siddartha Gurung.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 13th Oct 2018, 22:36
  #5386 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,194
Originally Posted by Bell_ringer View Post
VF could never admit being in a 407...
Wanna bet
gulliBell is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 04:17
  #5387 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Devil Bzzzzz

Originally Posted by havoc View Post
Any chance this was you, noted the tail over the edge? Always amazed with this thread.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nepal-g...rm-2018-10-13/

G'day Havoc.......Naaaar Mate not I
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 04:21
  #5388 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Wink

Originally Posted by Bell_ringer View Post
VF could never admit being in a 407. They run out of puff at 500ft and are a terrible substitute for a flying rodent
Hey there BR..........that high? That's just a GXP, lots of pretty console distractions for VFR, but not much in the grunt department
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 06:53
  #5389 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Angel

Originally Posted by JBL99 View Post
Namaste VF,

Your posts just continue to blow me away, they really are an amazing collection of photos from such an amazing looking place. Must visit it sometime before I die!

Keep up the great work!

JBL
Thank You JBL....most welcome
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 06:54
  #5390 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Talking

Originally Posted by gulliBell View Post
It wasn't VF, it was Capt Siddartha Gurung.
G'day GB....that's correct Mate Will update You on the Eagle HP shortly
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 19:06
  #5391 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by Vertical Freedom View Post
Hey there BR..........that high? That's just a GXP, lots of pretty console distractions for VFR, but not much in the grunt department
Compared to 206BIII, according to the books 407 has extra 230hp which I believe and only an extra 330lb (empty) which I find hard to believe... And also according to the books the 407 has an extra 5000' of service ceiling???

What are the pros and cons of 2 bladed system at high altitude?
krypton_john is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 00:56
  #5392 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South East Asia
Posts: 401
I'm also having a little difficulty understanding the statement "...but not much in the grunt department...' (#5382). It's hard to believe that a 407GXP doesn't do well in Nepal. Some sour grapes perhaps?
Saint Jack is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 02:32
  #5393 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Smile To Lift, or not to Lift.....what Power margin do You need to Go?

Originally Posted by krypton_john View Post
Compared to 206BIII, according to the books 407 has extra 230hp which I believe and only an extra 330lb (empty) which I find hard to believe... And also according to the books the 407 has an extra 5000' of service ceiling???

What are the pros and cons of 2 bladed system at high altitude?
G'day KJ.........the difference between 2 to multi blades is mostly control responsiveness. But I reckon the bigger blades will give better lift performance at hot&high
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 04:52
  #5394 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Wink

Originally Posted by Saint Jack View Post
I'm also having a little difficulty understanding the statement "...but not much in the grunt department...' (#5382). It's hard to believe that a 407GXP doesn't do well in Nepal. Some sour grapes perhaps?
Good Morning SJ......Love my Sour Grapes, especially when injected into a 'Jacobs Creek' Grenache Shiraz The GXP above 10,000' lifts 2 punters + bags less than than a 125 the HP Eagle might be another story below 10,000' the GXP is faster from A to B

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 15th Oct 2018 at 05:17.
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 05:06
  #5395 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Unhappy Gorillas in the Mist

Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 10:56
  #5396 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: -
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by Vertical Freedom View Post
The GXP above 10,000' lifts 2 punters + bags less than than a 125
I don't think you know what you are talking about, clearly you haven't seen the GXP perform at high altitude.

Unless you work for Airbus, that can explain your statement..

Last edited by MitchStick; 15th Oct 2018 at 11:09.
MitchStick is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 13:40
  #5397 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Smile

Originally Posted by MitchStick View Post
I don't think you know what you are talking about, clearly you haven't seen the GXP perform at high altitude.
Unless you work for Airbus, that can explain your statement..
G'day MS........frankly Mate I know diddlie squat I do have some affiliations & softspots with ScareBus, but my favourite FlingWings are still Bells the performance of the 407 in Nepal was informed to me by the test Pilot & Cpt YM.....I have not flown the 407 above 10,000', however certainly have pumped out a few hrs in them over 3 countries limited to ~ 9,000' landings
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2018, 16:32
  #5398 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: -
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by Vertical Freedom View Post
G'day MS........frankly Mate I know diddlie squat I do have some affiliations & softspots with ScareBus, but my favourite FlingWings are still Bells the performance of the 407 in Nepal was informed to me by the test Pilot & Cpt YM.....I have not flown the 407 above 10,000', however certainly have pumped out a few hrs in them over 3 countries limited to ~ 9,000' landings
The GXP works really well at high altitude, I wouldn't trade a 125 for a GXP purely for cabin configuration (and price), 407 is horrible, not versatile no flat floor, if bell would spend some time redesigning it like the 429 it would be much better, maybe they eventually will with the 505 just like they did with the 206..
MitchStick is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 01:35
  #5399 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 87
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MitchStick View Post
The GXP works really well at high altitude, I wouldn't trade a 125 for a GXP purely for cabin configuration (and price), 407 is horrible, not versatile no flat floor, if bell would spend some time redesigning it like the 429 it would be much better, maybe they eventually will with the 505 just like they did with the 206..
Hey MS....thanks for Your feedback! I'll be able to give my own opinion soon So You reckon a GXP could land on Everest?
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2018, 16:21
  #5400 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada
Age: 62
Posts: 102
Nice Parking job VF. Keep up the great posts.

Roybert
roybert is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.