Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Top of the World: photos from Nepal

Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Top of the World: photos from Nepal

Old 16th Aug 2018, 10:25
  #5281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,053
I'd say it's the shortest helicopter career ever...was it only one flight? It would have been an interesting meeting with the Chief Pilot to explain that one.

Note that the helicopter was rotating clockwise, so lots of TR drive was causing that, not MR torque.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 12:47
  #5282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,053
The fuselage appears to be rotating clockwise to me, if I'm not mistaken the MR spins in a clockwise direction on the AS350, so with my limited understanding of helicopters it seems quite possible that the TR was driving that thing around in circles...roll off the throttle and the TR loses RPM and doesn't have enough oomph to keep the party spinning towards oblivion. Assuming full left pedal had no effect.

Last edited by gulliBell; 16th Aug 2018 at 12:59.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 15:06
  #5283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Age: 61
Posts: 905
I am wondering if the pilot could reach the throttle without letting go the collective lever...
chopjock is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 15:36
  #5284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,052
Bottom the collective and chop the throttle.
albatross is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 19:11
  #5285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,053
Well, eventually he bottomed the whole rock show and chopped everything.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 16th Aug 2018, 19:51
  #5286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 2,478
Maybe he tried to lift off without hydraulics - having pulled some lever up to get light, he couldn't put it back down? Pedals then unresponsive? Not smart enough to chop the throttle?

Put a nice Strauss waltz as the soundtrack.
Ascend Charlie is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 04:36
  #5287 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Danger Waltzing Matilda Rockz

Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie View Post
Put a nice Strauss waltz as the soundtrack.
G'day AC....hmmmm my guess is; the Pilot landed, lowering some lever (not all the way down), & kept the power pedal still applied from the pre landing/arrival R pedal setting, so it started rotating to the right & he got confused & choose to do nothing, just sat there watching frozen/clueless of the impeding crash unfold! Had he just dumped the collective, he’d have been glued to the pad, or fly the picture; stop the turn & maintain position with the shtick; end of story....yer but, yer but, yer but
+++++++++
Hey gulliBell.....Yep, going down; bloody lucky just stopped on the roof than free falling 30 floors down to the ground
+++++++++
Hoy albatross.............exactly; it ain't rocket science, we ALL trained for such simple problems (I hope)
+++++++++
Namaste chopjock...............great question, stunned mullet comes to mind, I'm flabbergasted
+++++++++

Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 17th Aug 2018, 06:26
  #5288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wanaka, NZ
Posts: 2,053
Originally Posted by Vertical Freedom View Post
G'day AC....hmmmm my guess is; the Pilot landed, lowering some lever (not all the way down), & kept the power pedal still applied from the pre landing/arrival R pedal setting, so it started rotating to the right & he got confused & choose to do nothing..
If an explanation for anything could be unbelievable, yet feasible, that would be it. Maybe give him an S76 to drive instead, then he wouldn't have to worry so much about which pedal to push. Just keep both feet off the pedals and let the collective yaw mixer and auto-pilot take care of directional business. Oh, on 2nd thought, disregard that, now that I remember the altitude you need to operate at. You'd be solving one problem and causing another.
gulliBell is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2018, 03:22
  #5289 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Smile

G'day gulliBell...................Mate nuthin' can solve this problem bar grounding

Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2018, 15:43
  #5290 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 03:46
  #5291 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Wink WoW Faktor

Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 07:54
  #5292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: On the green bit near the blue wobbly stuff
Posts: 599
Originally Posted by gulliBell View Post
If an explanation for anything could be unbelievable, yet feasible, that would be it. Maybe give him an S76 to drive instead, then he wouldn't have to worry so much about which pedal to push. Just keep both feet off the pedals and let the collective yaw mixer and auto-pilot take care of directional business. Oh, on 2nd thought, disregard that, now that I remember the altitude you need to operate at. You'd be solving one problem and causing another.
Perfectly believable to me. Classic startle effect. Some people just freeze like rabbits in the headlights when they are scared. I have had students in the sim, who have crashed with me saying to them " Lower the collective, lower the collective! , LOWER THE COLLECTIVE, LOWER THE COLLECTIVE!!!" Complete failure to respond - brain temporarily shut down.
Non-PC Plod is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 08:18
  #5293 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Talking the elusive Bunny faktor

Originally Posted by Non-PC Plod View Post
Perfectly believable to me. Classic startle effect. Some people just freeze like rabbits in the headlights when they are scared. I have had students in the sim, who have crashed with me saying to them " Lower the collective, lower the collective! , LOWER THE COLLECTIVE, LOWER THE COLLECTIVE!!!" Complete failure to respond - brain temporarily shut down.
By Jiminy NPCP......BINGO I think You've stumbled on it ole mate? 'the Bunny faktor', making BugsBunny proud even today
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 02:44
  #5294 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Smile Ready Steady Eddy


ISA+24º
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 05:35
  #5295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 126
Hey VF why is there no numbers on your mb subscale on the altimeter.????
Can’t see what the QNH is
fadecdegraded is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 05:39
  #5296 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Talking

Originally Posted by fadecdegraded View Post
Hey VF why is there no numbers on your mb subscale on the altimeter.????
Can’t see what the QNH is
I'm equally shocked FD......but, it is there, just can't read it due reflection; that was the real altitude though
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 24th Aug 2018, 12:50
  #5297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 793
Hi Vertical Freedom,

about beeing shocked...
Fraud with Poison (German articel)

I had to read, that there has been a big fraud, involving eight travel agencies, four hospitals and three helicopter companys in Nepal.
Tourists were poisoned by the travel agents, so that they needed rescue - and the involved got paid by the insurance companys of the victims.......

Do you have more information?

Greetings Flying Bull
Flying Bull is offline  
Old 26th Aug 2018, 10:21
  #5298 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Grrr

Originally Posted by Flying Bull View Post
Hi Vertical Freedom,

about beeing shocked...
Fraud with Poison (German articel)

I had to read, that there has been a big fraud, involving eight travel agencies, four hospitals and three helicopter companys in Nepal.
Tourists were poisoned by the travel agents, so that they needed rescue - and the involved got paid by the insurance companys of the victims.......

Do you have more information?

Greetings Flying Bull
G'day Flying Bull..........................yaaar heard this, it's very sad. I can tell You the numbers of Trekkers being poisoned can be counted on one hand. Sure it has happened, but this is the last thing You need to be concerned about whilst in the Himalayas! As for the fake Rescues, yep tons have happened & these scams, days are very much numbered. Insurance companies don't like being fleeced & are working smarter to avoid these types of scams in future
Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2018, 06:59
  #5299 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Talking Mountain Men Love Mountin Helicopters


Vertical Freedom is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2018, 16:33
  #5300 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Top of the World
Posts: 39
Arrow Sky Surfer

Vertical Freedom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.