Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.


Old 5th Jan 2021, 13:27
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 39

Hi guys,

I have EASA ATPL and I would like to “convert” it to FAA.

Can you suggest a school that offer ATP theoretical training for foreign students?
At this moment I found some school in Florida, but I would like to have more options.
I do not mind to travel to some other state.
ufon is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2021, 14:45
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SAYE
Posts: 245
You can do all this yourself without a school! Apply directly to the FAA online, to have the FAA verify your EASA license with this form.

Once your EASA ATPL has been verified by your issuing country, the FAA will contact you by email, then you need to make an appointment to a FSDO (in the US city/state of your choice).

During the FSDO in person meeting, and after reviewing all your [original] credentials, the FAA Inspector will tell you exactly what you need to do.

E.g,: you may, or may not, have to take the FAA ATP written exam, if you do, you can easily study by yourself with an online course (see suggestions below). You also might (or not) have to take a CPT course from an approved provider (Certification Training Program - there are more providers that subcontract from the approved ones in the list). You probably won't need a TSA authorization because you are already a licensed pilot (unless you want to do some flight training in a large aircraft or a turbojet).

Again, avoid so called schools and specially those for foreign students! Unless you have money to waste, and want to do all that is not required (student visa, TSA, expensive ground school, lots of flying with an instructor, etc.). That's how these schools make their money, and they know how to milk foreigners who don't know what they don't know.

This said, there are many serious training providers in the US. One is ATP Inc. but I would not use it in your case, because you said you already have an EASA ATPL.

If needed, these are IMO the two best self study ATP written exam prep courses: and
avionimc is online now  
Old 5th Jan 2021, 15:32
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 39
Hi, thank you a lot for all the information you sent me.
ufon is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2021, 19:30
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perpetually Commuting
Posts: 237
There is no way you can avoid FAA ATP written test and ATP-CTP. For ATP-CTP, OP needs to go to school (approved sim center).
lee_apromise is offline  
Old 5th Jan 2021, 20:17
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 948
avionimc is spot-on.
If you're not a US citizen it might take the FSDO two weeks to evaluate your security threat level so you can visit them (even if their building is under the downwind-to-base turn of your local airport at which you fly), although when I ran into this issue a convenient workaround was to have the meeting in the lobby which requires no security clearance of any kind.
Booglebox is offline  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 17:12
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 39
According my research you are right, I have to follow the course and fly on a sim with a plane with more than 20tons (I fly a bizjet with MTWO 14tons).
Can you recommend a school?

ufon is offline  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 18:58
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SAYE
Posts: 245
ufon, I would first apply for verification and then meet with a FSDO Inspector in person to find out exactly what he is requiring in your specific case.

If you are indeed required to perform a CTP, then you can select the best CTP training provider for you -- some CPT providers can use a FFS representing an aircraft weighing less than 40,000 Lbs if they were granted a deviation from 14 CFR 61.156 (as per FSIMS 8900.1 CHG 705). Check also AC 61-138. Good Luck!

PS. metric units such as Kg or Tons are not normally used by the FAA. When you meet with the FAA Inspector, make sure you speak the correct FAA language, and don't tell him how it is done in EASAland, and about all the EASA nonsense. BWDIK
avionimc is online now  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 20:51
  #8 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 39
Thank you. Yes I will apply for the verification letter and I will see what they say me.
ufon is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2021, 03:08
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 345
Once you have your EASA ATPL verification, all you need to do is complete the ATP-CTP course and then the flight test.

You can do the flight test in a light twin (seneca) if you want. Or the biz jet type (in a sim) you already fly. It just has to be be multi engine complex. No minimum weight.
You do not need a student visa. You will need to get finger prints in USA for sim training.

I did this in 2018 with an ICAO ATPL.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2021, 15:35
  #10 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 59
PanAm in Miami - ATP-CTP & ATP checkride in the Sim.
awair is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2021, 20:29
  #11 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 30
If anyone now what would roughly the price be for this process? EASA ATPL with DH8/IR tr to faa ?
PilotViking is online now  
Old 13th Jan 2021, 21:19
  #12 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 345
About 4k USD for the CTP + accommodation 1 week.
About 3-6k for the type ride. Educated guess. 3 days accommodation
TSA and fingerprints etc maybe $250.

If you don't need the type on your FAA ATP, just do the skills test in a Seminole/Seneca/Baron and save thousands!
Climb150 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.