Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizen wanting to become an American Commercial Pilot

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Canadian Citizen wanting to become an American Commercial Pilot

Old 11th May 2020, 19:38
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Canadian Citizen wanting to become an American Commercial Pilot

My fiancee is a Canadian doctor, practicing in the USA, and I'm looking to do a career change to becoming a pilot in the USA. I know COVID messes everything up, but does the idea of going to flight school in the USA and trying to get a green card or a job otherwise make any sense?
nutlord is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 17:59
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sky
Posts: 19

It depends on your preference.

There are a number of flight schools in America and you can find a job as a flight instructor in schools.

Some of flight schools based in Florida are still hiring.

However if you want to become an airline pilot and work in the big companies like United Airlines, we can not say that it will be easy.

Keep in mind that it is difficult to get hired as a first officer unless you have ATP licence in the United States.

Therefore you are supposed to make at least 1500 hours as a instructor in flight schools with very low salaries like 2500 us dollars or maybe even less.
Bjornolf is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 05:12
  #3 (permalink)  

Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: White Waltham, Prestwick & Calgary
Age: 68
Posts: 3,814
If you are Canadian there should be a one-year work visa available - but if you get a Canadian licence it can be exchanged directly for a US one with one law exam. Just an option.

paco is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.