Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

CAE Oxford Vs L3 (CTC)

Old 11th Sep 2019, 15:25
  #61 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,135
Originally Posted by Reverserbucket View Post
These ďno hopersĒ hopefully removed at an early stage of training can depend entirely on the market in my experience as I recall a couple of students who reached a spectacular 40-50 hours, numerous review boards etc. prior to solo, who were allowed to continue despite their apparent ineptitude. One certainly made it to RYR in the end. Another I remember chopped just short of about 35 hours and no solo on the horizon at a fair weather base but was actually allowed to continue training back at home by the same school. Got through the CPL IIRC but never made it to the IR.

I find it interesting whenever these discussions appear that folk are prepared to pay top dollar for integrated training on the basis that you might get an interview (again, when the market is buoyant...plenty didn't during the last downturn but according to the marketing, that's the best time to train, right?), yet accept that the instructors are barely out of training themselves. Naturally, you don't know this pre-training, and of course it's been this way for a long time, but it says a lot about the industry in terms of quality and experience vs access.
A reminisce to days when CAP509 was the training manual. JAR was introduced on 1 July 1999.
BAe flying college at Prestwick set a minimum experience for Flying Instructors at one thousand instructional hours in the late 1980s. 90% were ex RAF A2 instructors. The course was 200 hours flying + simulator. A QUALITY COURSE.

Students were allowed up to 15 hours to go solo. Anything more than this and Standards would get involved. Occasionally a chop ride would occur. The Cathay students were allowed up to 20 hours, as they probably hadnít even driven a car in HK.
Six Progress Tests, five on the PA28/AS202 and the F170A on the PA34. Fail the same PT twice, and your days might well be numbered.
And being INTEGRATED, the bulk of the 16 month course was day ON, day OFF flying alternating with Ground school.

No question of allowing ďno hopersĒ to continue. Unfair on them to be allowed to continue with absolutely no prospect of success.
parkfell is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2019, 15:53
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London
Posts: 597
Indeed parkfell, I worked under 509 and the students mentioned were long after we moved to JAR-FCL and some time after 'Standards' were disbanded. I don't think anyone fails the PT's anymore and in fact, I recall that individual sorties, and I'm sure PT's were enhanced by management following student complaints that a lower grade might affect their chances of a job. The so called 'Children of the magenta line' are not only a result of generational differences but also the way training is conducted these days in my view, and this from places with a rich legacy of quality cadet pilot training. Reputation takes years to build and seconds to destroy...
Reverserbucket is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 20:41
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: EU
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Alex Whittingham View Post
Breakaway school from Oxford/CAE currently taking students on contact from L3/CTC because L3 can't cope/have taken on a military contract that they prioritise over self funded cadets. I give up on this thread, to be accused of 'slander' is too much. good luck OP
Please dont give up on the OP or the thread.
Don't take it to heart if someone makes a comment you don't like.
It may be a really useful opinion to someone else, and they may greatly appreciate your input.
yap800 is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 21:26
  #64 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: London
Posts: 82
Absolutely, what suits one person may not suit another and vice versa. Countless people will likely come along and see this thread.


Originally Posted by yap800 View Post
Please dont give up on the OP or the thread.
Don't take it to heart if someone makes a comment you don't like.
It may be a really useful opinion to someone else, and they may greatly appreciate your input.
sms8 is offline  
Old 17th Sep 2019, 08:44
  #65 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,135
Originally Posted by yap800 View Post
Please dont give up on the OP or the thread.
Don't take it to heart if someone makes a comment you don't like.
It may be a really useful opinion to someone else, and they may greatly appreciate your input.
For ‘slander’ mentioned initially by the OP read ‘LIBEL’
The written word, as oppose to speech.

I think the OP was wide of the mark when the ‘S’ word was mentioned.
I, amongst others, couldn’t see any comment which remotely would get close to m’learned friends looking for their pound of fresh.
Perhaps OP would like to point out those threads where such heinous crimes were committed?

Otherwise obtain your medical and just get on with it.......

Last edited by parkfell; 17th Sep 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Syntax
parkfell is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 13:30
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: EU
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Cadet764 View Post
I am currently training with L3.
.
Awesome, when ou graduate let us know how the job search goes good bad.

Please don't disappear and not tell us how we are getting on, there doesn't seem to be anyone from there who is saying they were unemployed in the end, but if you are please tell on here.

Good luck with your training and job search

yap800 is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 13:43
  #67 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,135
Originally Posted by yap800 View Post
Awesome, when ou graduate let us know how the job search goes good bad.

Please don't disappear and not tell us how we are getting on, there doesn't seem to be anyone from there who is saying they were unemployed in the end, but if you are please tell on here.

Good luck with your training and job search
Have you thought of stop being an agony aunt on the sidelines, and actually getting on with it yourself?
Probably modular route given what you are hearing...?

The German word is ďSchadenfreudeĒ might be appropriate here?
I shall leave for others to judge.
parkfell is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 14:05
  #68 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: London
Posts: 82
Bit harsh there fella, am I missing something ?

I also would love to hear more about how you progress and what situation you ultimately end up in, I also pledge to do the same, particularly if I do end up at CAE or L3.




Originally Posted by parkfell View Post


Have you thought of stop being an agony aunt on the sidelines, and actually getting on with it yourself?
Probably modular route given what you are hearing...?

The German word is ďSchadenfreudeĒ might be appropriate here?
I shall leave for others to judge.
sms8 is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2019, 09:57
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1
L3 Integrated ATPL December Start Date

Hi all,
Long time lurker but first time poster here.
Starting my Integrated ATPL with L3 in Southampton in December, anyone else here?
jw.73 is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2019, 13:30
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 1
L3 atpl

Hi,

I'm starting the atpl with L3, but in January and will do ground school in Coventry. I messaged you but your box is full :-)

=================================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.
TheLoneRanger is offline  
Old 11th Nov 2019, 20:34
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: England
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by jw.73 View Post
Hi all,
Long time lurker but first time poster here.
Starting my Integrated ATPL with L3 in Southampton in December, anyone else here?
Bit late replying but I started in Southampton in September so Iím sure Iíll see you around! Not sure how much posting history I need before being able to PM you otherwise Iíd send my contact details!
AerospaceShoelace is offline  
Old 30th Dec 2019, 11:45
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Hit and miss

So this thread is full of plenty of truth but there also seems to be plenty of half truths (fuelled by jealousy?) going about too with little basis in reality.

As a current L3 cadet I canít speak of CAE but have heard similar stories from them

1. L3 DO have serious serious capacity issues that they still are failing to address-some courses are getting 6-8 month delays, some are getting sent home after having started flight training and some still donít have confirmed timelines with later stages of training not even made aware to them- all in all a real sh!t show.

L3 can (fairly) say this is not all of their own doing as theyíve been let down by aircraft trainer OEMs and airlines have been sucking up their instructors faster than they can train them ( let this pour cold water on those here spreading fear of current state of the airline industry). But L3 have been far too slow to address this issue- they didnít slow down intake fast enough and only now have they started offering airline salaries to their FIs.

2. training standards ARE very high in L3, they want you to pass everything first time and to get a very high mark. Iíve heard of many modular students on their 3rd/4th sitting for GS exams or averaging high 70% pass rates. In L3 this is almost unheard of- average pas rate is easily 85% across the 14 and almost everyone gets this with first time passes.

Itís fair to say that the L3 selection process (which is identical to Virgin, BA and EasyJet MPLs) is also responsible for that. Almost all cadets are very bright with high aptitude.


it should be noted that L3 have recently tightened their hold pool policy also so that less well performing cadets are not eligible for the hold pool.

As for flight training the instructors in NZ are very capable on the whole. It is hit and miss to a degree- I know some got some less than helpful instructors but the vast vast majority are exceptional at what they do and what the L3 brass tell you down there about having the highest standards in the industry is correct. They are from day one trying to get you prepared for the RHS of a jet and they train with this in mind.

(Iíve only just passed CPL so cant speak of the quality ar BOR where you do advanced ME/IR but Iím told standards there are very high too)

3. in terms of placement this is a rather shady subject with L3. Internally the information we are told now is quite different to what we are told at selection. Placement rates ARE very high (>95%) and that too within 1-3 months of completing training


if you can afford it these schools are a good place to go for ab-Intio training but remember that once youíve signed the contract and handed over your money youíre at the mercy of L3 and they are utterly utterly pathetic with their communication and ability to give truth to their cadets. Donít believe everything you hear though about L3 from people that have never been trained by/at L3 establishments. There is a LOT of animosity towards CTC/L3 for reasons that are best left to your imaginations, plenty seem to want to justify their own decisions and think they need to put down CTC/L3 to do this.

KSINGH is offline  
Old 31st Dec 2019, 07:30
  #73 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: London
Posts: 82
thanks for the info, at the min CAE is the front runner for me right now.

I have moved to the interview stage, the delay rumours at L3 I found off putting.... second choice to CAE would be FTA Shoreham at the min which I might well pop down and have a chat with them next year also.

It seems to me they all have there issues, but I agree, they do seem unpopular by a fair few across these boards.

Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
So this thread is full of plenty of truth but there also seems to be plenty of half truths (fuelled by jealousy?) going about too with little basis in reality.

As a current L3 cadet I canít speak of CAE but have heard similar stories from them

1. L3 DO have serious serious capacity issues that they still are failing to address-some courses are getting 6-8 month delays, some are getting sent home after having started flight training and some still donít have confirmed timelines with later stages of training not even made aware to them- all in all a real sh!t show.

L3 can (fairly) say this is not all of their own doing as theyíve been let down by aircraft trainer OEMs and airlines have been sucking up their instructors faster than they can train them ( let this pour cold water on those here spreading fear of current state of the airline industry). But L3 have been far too slow to address this issue- they didnít slow down intake fast enough and only now have they started offering airline salaries to their FIs.

2. training standards ARE very high in L3, they want you to pass everything first time and to get a very high mark. Iíve heard of many modular students on their 3rd/4th sitting for GS exams or averaging high 70% pass rates. In L3 this is almost unheard of- average pas rate is easily 85% across the 14 and almost everyone gets this with first time passes.

Itís fair to say that the L3 selection process (which is identical to Virgin, BA and EasyJet MPLs) is also responsible for that. Almost all cadets are very bright with high aptitude.


it should be noted that L3 have recently tightened their hold pool policy also so that less well performing cadets are not eligible for the hold pool.

As for flight training the instructors in NZ are very capable on the whole. It is hit and miss to a degree- I know some got some less than helpful instructors but the vast vast majority are exceptional at what they do and what the L3 brass tell you down there about having the highest standards in the industry is correct. They are from day one trying to get you prepared for the RHS of a jet and they train with this in mind.

(Iíve only just passed CPL so cant speak of the quality ar BOR where you do advanced ME/IR but Iím told standards there are very high too)

3. in terms of placement this is a rather shady subject with L3. Internally the information we are told now is quite different to what we are told at selection. Placement rates ARE very high (>95%) and that too within 1-3 months of completing training


if you can afford it these schools are a good place to go for ab-Intio training but remember that once youíve signed the contract and handed over your money youíre at the mercy of L3 and they are utterly utterly pathetic with their communication and ability to give truth to their cadets. Donít believe everything you hear though about L3 from people that have never been trained by/at L3 establishments. There is a LOT of animosity towards CTC/L3 for reasons that are best left to your imaginations, plenty seem to want to justify their own decisions and think they need to put down CTC/L3 to do this.
sms8 is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2020, 22:49
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 1
i have the same question, so what do u mean by go modular ?
Wael Hneini is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2020, 13:15
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: A Gaelic Country
Posts: 0
Dangerous times to be considering forking out large swathes of cash.

Since Monarch, Thomas Cook, Flybe, Covid-19 and all that that entails it will be YEARS before the UK airline industry is even ready to consider saying ďHey! We must hire some new FOs!Ē

Had my Loganair November Assessment cancelled. Now they only want ex-Flybe or ATR rated crews. BA muttering about layoffs. Norwegian suffering.

I do understand that Training organisations have employees too, however. Just be aware that they need your cash too,
covec is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.