Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Foreign 1st Class Medical

Old 10th Jun 2019, 09:41
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: France
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Foreign 1st Class Medical


I have a question regarding my 1st Class Medical. I have tried figuring this out with some research but I am still in the dark.

I got my medical in Portugal because I was accepted to L3's Integrated ATPL course in Ponte de Sor (Portugal). However, since then, that ATPL course has been scrapped as they changed from being a Portuguese ATO to an English ATO. I am now going to be training with L3 in the UK.

Is the fact that I have a Portuguese medical going to be a problem?
Can I renew a Portuguese medical in the UK?
What kind of issues might I encounter in this situation and what would be the best course of action to avoid those issues?

Pink_panther is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2019, 23:12
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I have understood this correctly, your Portuguese medical is valid in the UK at least until Brexit. But you have to have your medical with the same state as your license, so as soon as you apply for a license you must transfer the medical to UK CAA. The tansfer of license will take some time, so be prepared for it as well.
tsvpilot is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2019, 08:41
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: france
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to get the new UK medical, to transfer your medical will not be easy !!!!

Good Luck
captain mohamad is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2019, 09:57
  #4 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your Portugese medical, your EASA licence will be issued by the Portugese regulator, provided your training 'abroad' is recognised by Portugal.
If you wish your CPL/IR to be issued by another State, then you will need to transfer your medical records to that State.

The complication comes with BREXIT and just what the relationship will be with EASA.
You may decide to transfer to the UK in which case depending upon the politics unfolding between now and 31 October, the UK will either be OUT or remain in until December 2020. "OUT", and with medical transfer made, a UK CPL/IR will be issued which I suspect can be used to gain an EASA licence.

Your training provider will explain the advantages/disadvantages if they are worth their salt.
parkfell is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2019, 16:25
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: France
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello guys,

Thanks for the replies so far. How would one go about transferring a medical license to the UK CAA?

parkfell This is definitely something I will bring up with L3.

Pink_panther is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.