Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Issued my Initial Class 1 Medical with an OML restriction. Best course to take?

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Issued my Initial Class 1 Medical with an OML restriction. Best course to take?

Old 20th Sep 2018, 08:15
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somerset
Posts: 408
Hello Again Spencer,

Out of interest, have you spoken to the training schools that you are considering regarding your limitation? During PPL training and hours building you will be expected to make solo flights, will the training school's insurance cover a solo trainee who has a food allergy?
magicmick is offline  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 14:45
  #22 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Nurse2Pilot, I believe it is because it is 'advised' that people with a peanut allergy carry an epipen. My thoughts exactly, in fact, there's no guarantee that the captain beside you wouldn't develop a peanut allergy and not know about it.

Contact Appoach, such a big part of me is saying that, and that there must be a job for me at some point. But again it comes down to the money. If it was £10/20,000 I would do it and take the gamble but I cant do that with £125,000, I have to have a reasonable level of confidence that I could secure a job first.

magicmick, thank you, I hadn't thought of Flight Crew Futures but its definitely something that I will look into now, it could be very helpful in this situation.

I emailed the schools about their Integrated ATPL courses and got a reply earlier. They say that as long as my Class 2 allows me to fly solo then they would train me. However in the same email they also said that I may have a problem securing a job afterwards considering the OML on my Class 1. I have asked them if they know of any airlines that would or wouldn't consider hiring me just to gauge if its possible but I haven't got a reply yet.
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 19:07
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 5
Thereís a guy on my course at cae on the easyJet program who had his initial class 1 issued with OML restriction (also due to mild peanut allergy), so at least easy doesnít seem to mind.
Red2 is offline  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 20:03
  #24 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Red2 View Post
Thereís a guy on my course at cae on the easyJet program who had his initial class 1 issued with OML restriction (also due to mild peanut allergy), so at least easy doesnít seem to mind.
That's brilliant to know, thank you! Is there any chance that you could ask them if they could answer a couple of questions for me / put me in contact with them please?
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 21:56
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 532
Red2, we're a friendly bunch thats why! Like I mentioned previously Spencer, just go get it done and enjoy your career!
Contact Approach is online now  
Old 20th Sep 2018, 22:52
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Event Horizon
Posts: 54
Although I entirely agree with the cautious comments on here, I'd like to inject a drop of hope.

At the grand old age of 19 I was told I required heart surgery due an on going problem from birth that never quite fixed itself. I cancelled my plans to join the RAF and headed off to Uni for 5 long years and forgot about aviation. 7 years passed, and having eventually had heart surgery twic,e but also been signed off as "perfectly fit and healthy" by my cardiologist I approached the CAA to see what hope I had of getting a medical.
It wasn't easy. I waited 10 months to get a class 2 so I could at least start my PPL, and almost 2 years to get a class 1. Although I was never refused a medical, and I don't have any restrictions, it was a long road for a couple of years. Gladly it all worked out and I'm now an FO on the 737 (not the blue one).

My advice would be if at all possible attempt to contact the recruitment depts of a few airlines and asked them directly. What have you got to lose?.....apart from 100K

Good luck
TryingToAvoidCBs is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2018, 07:42
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Spencer94 View Post
That's brilliant to know, thank you! Is there any chance that you could ask them if they could answer a couple of questions for me / put me in contact with them please?
Sure, Iím not sure if it possible for me to receive DMs, but if you post any questions Iíll ask him when i get a chance.

You canít use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
Red2 is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2018, 20:00
  #28 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Contact Approach, I am strongly leaning towards towards doing it, maybe I just have to bite the bullet, but for now I will continue to search to get a little more confidence in the idea.

TryingToAvoidCBs, That is a great story and I'm made up for you that after all that time it has worked out! I'm hoping I can have the same success and a story like that certainly injects a little more hope. I am considering attempting to get a clean Class 1, hopefully by proving that the severity of my allergy is low, but I don't have too much faith in the idea. I have spent some time today emailing the recruitment departments of several airlines and I'm just hoping for total honesty from them.
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2018, 20:02
  #29 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Red2 View Post


Sure, Iím not sure if it possible for me to receive DMs, but if you post any questions Iíll ask him when i get a chance.

You canít use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
Thanks Red2, that would be perfect! I'll have a little think about a couple of questions this evening and I'll post them tomorrow if that would be alright.
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 17:21
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Spencer94 View Post
Nurse2Pilot, I believe it is because it is 'advised' that people with a peanut allergy carry an epipen. My thoughts exactly, in fact, there's no guarantee that the captain beside you wouldn't develop a peanut allergy and not know about it.
Do you carry an epipen with you at all times? Have you ever had to use one?

I have witnessed fit-and-healthy patients with no allergies go into anaphylaxis due to some drug or antibiotic, I personally know at least two individuals who are fit, play sports (basketball), go hiking, biking, etc. but both have suffered strokes and it was because of the nature of their circle of friends (nurses, doctors), they got quick help and recovered from the heart attack but fact still remains they were very fit, no health problems, but still got a heart attack.
Nurse2Pilot is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2018, 11:13
  #31 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Nurse2Pilot, I haven't in the past, however a stipulation of the OML is that I carry 2 during flights in order for the medical to be valid. I have never had to use an Epipen.

They have been my exact thoughts from the very beginning of this medical calamity. I know of my allergy and the best ways to avoid a reaction and this greatly reduces my chances of having one, but other pilots they may not know of an allergy they have, have an anaphylactic reaction and don't have any way of dealing with that situation in the cockpit. People can develop allergies or other medical conditions at any stage in life without knowing about them. I may consider this argument if I decide to try and get the OML removed at some stage.
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 25th Sep 2018, 11:21
  #32 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Red2 View Post


Sure, Iím not sure if it possible for me to receive DMs, but if you post any questions Iíll ask him when i get a chance.

You canít use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.
Sorry, it's been a couple of days due to work.

I have a few questions for the person on your course if that's okay:

- Did easyJet know about the OML on your medical at any point before they offered you a place on the MPL course? Did they say anything in particular about the OML? Do you have any advice about starting training with an OML, were you worried at all before you started your training?

Red 2 I'm very grateful for your help with this because its probably the closest I've got to a definitive answer and it's given me a little more confidence that I could actually do this.
Spencer94 is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 11:12
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Darlington, UK
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by Spencer94 View Post
I emailed the schools about their Integrated ATPL courses and got a reply earlier. They say that as long as my Class 2 allows me to fly solo then they would train me. However in the same email they also said that I may have a problem securing a job afterwards considering the OML on my Class 1. I have asked them if they know of any airlines that would or wouldn't consider hiring me just to gauge if its possible but I haven't got a reply yet.
Just a thought, if you lower to a Class 2, it will probably come with an OSL restriction which means you can't go solo. I think OSL is the non-commercial equivalent of OML restriction.
I have OSL on my Class 2 which I'm appealing to the CAA for it's removal so I can solo.
miller745 is online now  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 16:47
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Spencer94 View Post
Sorry, it's been a couple of days due to work.

I have a few questions for the person on your course if that's okay:

- Did easyJet know about the OML on your medical at any point before they offered you a place on the MPL course? Did they say anything in particular about the OML? Do you have any advice about starting training with an OML, were you worried at all before you started your training?

Red 2 I'm very grateful for your help with this because its probably the closest I've got to a definitive answer and it's given me a little more confidence that I could actually do this.
He contacted CAE to confirm that he would be eligible for the easyJet program - they checked and said it would be fine (his class 2 permits him to solo). At the end of the course you start as an FO with easyJet, so employment wise it wasnít too much of a concern. Also the MPL is a multi-crew restricted license, so the OML would sort of exist anyways.

I think, for peace of mind, you would be best contacting CAE in a similar way just to confirm that the OML wonít be an issue. Again, all of this is specifically for the easyJet MPL - it could very well work differently at other airlines.

Hope that helps.
Red2 is offline  
Old 27th Sep 2018, 21:06
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Spencer94, can you tell me what steps exactly you had to do? You mentioned seeing an immunologist but what questions were asked and what were the answers?
Nurse2Pilot is offline  
Old 2nd Jan 2019, 19:28
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9
can I ask your help, Iím stuck in the OML loop

Originally Posted by Field Required View Post
LSC172, the rules have since changed. I also benefitted from the change like the OP.

Spencer, you will be fine provided you go down the airline route - multicrew.

hello LSC172,

Could you help me out a bit, I am stuck on the OML loop, the Portuguese Authority does not want to issue me the medical 1 with the OML limitation, due to the way the OML limitation law is written, it misses the statement refering initial applicants, as seen below:


(d) Operational limitation codes
(1) Operational multi-pilot limitation (OML Ė Class 1 only)
(i) When the holder of a CPL, ATPL or MPL does not fully meet the requirements for a class 1 medical certificate and has been referred to the licensing authority, it shall assess whether the medical certificate may be issued with an OML Ďvalid only as or with qualified co-pilotí.
(ii) The holder of a medical certificate with an OML shall only operate an aircraft in multi-pilot operations when the other pilot is fully qualified on the relevant type of aircraft, is not subject to an OML and has not attained the age of 60 years.
(iii) The OML for class 1 medical certificates shall only be imposed and removed by the licensing authority.

if anyone could help me out, on how to fight/ appeal to this? Maybe even cases I could use ? Or other EASA aviation authorities I should go to ? I have full reports of my doctors all translated to english ready to go ! and even the Portuguese authority (ANAC) doctor says that for him everything is ok, except that the OML could not be given to an initial medical certificate. Right now my only escape is to go to the USA get an FAA med1 (which I am in process of requesting) however I really want an EASA Medical certificate as I would like to do the ATPL.

Thank you OP and all in this forum for any help!

Vernand is offline  
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 10:06
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bristol
Age: 27
Posts: 9
Hi Vernand,

I've just had my initial class 1 issued with an OML restriction in the UK. As far as I am aware the UK CAA is the only EASA member state who will issue you a Class 1 initial with an OML restriction. Each case has to be assessed by the CAA if you require an OML. My advice would be to come to the UK (before Brexit!) and get your EASA class 1 issued here with the OML. Then apply for a change of state of medical issue to which ever country you will be doing your training in. I know my flight school required your EASA class1 to be issued by the UK CAA.

Good luck!
Jjimmyy is online now  
Old 4th Jan 2019, 11:26
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Jjimmyy View Post
Hi Vernand,

I've just had my initial class 1 issued with an OML restriction in the UK. As far as I am aware the UK CAA is the only EASA member state who will issue you a Class 1 initial with an OML restriction. Each case has to be assessed by the CAA if you require an OML. My advice would be to come to the UK (before Brexit!) and get your EASA class 1 issued here with the OML. Then apply for a change of state of medical issue to which ever country you will be doing your training in. I know my flight school required your EASA class1 to be issued by the UK CAA.

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your reply Jjimmyy, and for your message. I cannot open it until I post a certain amount of posts here in PPRuNe, but thank you very much any ways sir.
Vernand is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 11:36
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 24
Good info right there
TomahawkEI is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2019, 08:53
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9
Meanwhile I scheduled an appointment for 1st class med at Aviation Medical services in Horley on the 31st of January, I will let you know how it went.
Vernand is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.