PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Issued my Initial Class 1 Medical with an OML restriction. Best course to take?
Old 20th Sep 2018, 22:52
TryingToAvoidCBs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I entirely agree with the cautious comments on here, I'd like to inject a drop of hope.

At the grand old age of 19 I was told I required heart surgery due an on going problem from birth that never quite fixed itself. I cancelled my plans to join the RAF and headed off to Uni for 5 long years and forgot about aviation. 7 years passed, and having eventually had heart surgery twic,e but also been signed off as "perfectly fit and healthy" by my cardiologist I approached the CAA to see what hope I had of getting a medical.
It wasn't easy. I waited 10 months to get a class 2 so I could at least start my PPL, and almost 2 years to get a class 1. Although I was never refused a medical, and I don't have any restrictions, it was a long road for a couple of years. Gladly it all worked out and I'm now an FO on the 737 (not the blue one).

My advice would be if at all possible attempt to contact the recruitment depts of a few airlines and asked them directly. What have you got to lose?.....apart from 100K

Good luck