PPRuNe Forums


Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th Aug 2017, 19:28   #1 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stop looking at my profile!
Posts: 16
IFR filing outside CAS!!

Guys, I need clarification. All the posts I read just wonder into an abyss of replies and the answer is not given. I want a definitive answer, not an essay.

I'm departing a class D airfield. It's IMC conditions and want to depart IFR, however I want to remain in uncontrolled airspace all the way to landing. NO AIRWAYS or busy LC frequencies and not Y or Z malarkey. Class D requirements say I have to file a FlightPlan.

FlightPlan:

1/ How do I file the FlightPlan, V or I?
2/ In the altitude column, what do I state? Do I say an altitude that will keep me outside CAS (e.g. 2000ft or VFR)?
3/ Should I put a note in item 18 stating "want to remain outside CAS?

Previous posts just labour on and on, TMI, want the correct answer and if possible a reference on either ICAO or CAA publications.
JIMBO01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2017, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 926
Pick a route that includes IFR waypoints close to departure and arrival. Pick an altitude ideally in line with the semicircular rule or 3000 ft or below

File I

An example could be Gloucester to Alderney

File I

Altitude 5000

Route EGBJ DCT WOTAN DCT ORTAC DCT EGJA

That's it.

On departure you'll get an IFR clearance from ATC, follow it until you reach the clearance limit OCAS then do what you like but tell ATC first if under a traffic service.
Johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2017, 01:17   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stop looking at my profile!
Posts: 16
Brill thanks
JIMBO01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2017, 08:47   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: On the wireless...
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO01 View Post
I'm departing a class D airfield. It's IMC conditions and want to depart IFR, however I want to remain in uncontrolled airspace all the way to landing. NO AIRWAYS or busy LC frequencies and not Y or Z malarkey. Class D requirements say I have to file a FlightPlan.

FlightPlan:

1/ How do I file the FlightPlan, V or I?
No point in filing a VFR FPL if conditions are IMC! It's impossible to fly VFR in IMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO01 View Post
want the correct answer and if possible a reference on either ICAO or CAA publications.
In the UK your references are the UK IAIP ENR 1.10 and CAP 694 The UK Flight Planning Guide.

In particular see ENR ENR 1.10-2 Para 1.4 which explains that an abbreviated (telephoned) FPL will suffice to fly within your CTR whether VFR or IFR, and without having to submit a full FPL:

Quote:
An Abbreviated Flight Plan is the limited information required to obtain a clearance for a portion of flight, filed either by telephone prior to take-off or by radiotelephony (RTF) when airborne. This might apply in the case of a required clearance to fly in a Control Zone (CTR) or crossing an Airway. No flight plan form is submitted and the destination aerodrome will not be informed. An abbreviated flight plan transmitted in the air by radiotelephony for the crossing of controlled airspace or any other areas or routes designated by the competent authority normally contains as a minimum: call sign, aircraft type, point of entry, point of exit and level.

In the case of a departure from an aerodrome within a CTR an Abbreviated FPL may be sufficient to obtain clearance to depart the aerodrome and route to the appropriate CTR/CTA boundary. However, some aerodromes require aircraft to follow designated noise preferential routes which may be identified as Standard Departure Routes (SDRs) depending on the outbound track of the flight.

A Full flight plan must be filed if the pilot requires the destination aerodrome to be notified of the flight.
In other words, just pick up the 'phone to ATC and tell them what you want to do! Obtain an IFR clearance for that portion of flight within the CTR, and once outside CAS fly IFR to your heart's content in IMC or VMC whilst communicating with whatever agency you feel is appropriate, no written FPL required.
Talkdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2017, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 926
The abbreviated flight plan is more usually known as "booking out" and if your class D airfield supports that then it works fine unless you need to formally file a flight plan as you would in the example I quoted of UK to CI
Johnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2017, 20:58   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: River Thames & Surrey
Age: 69
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO01 View Post
Guys, I need clarification. All the posts I read just wonder into an abyss of replies and the answer is not given. I want a definitive answer, not an essay.

I'm departing a class D airfield. It's IMC conditions and want to depart IFR, however I want to remain in uncontrolled airspace all the way to landing. NO AIRWAYS or busy LC frequencies and not Y or Z malarkey. Class D requirements say I have to file a FlightPlan.

FlightPlan:

1/ How do I file the FlightPlan, V or I?
2/ In the altitude column, what do I state? Do I say an altitude that will keep me outside CAS (e.g. 2000ft or VFR)?
3/ Should I put a note in item 18 stating "want to remain outside CAS?

Previous posts just labour on and on, TMI, want the correct answer and if possible a reference on either ICAO or CAA publications.
Bearing in mind you can file a flight plan for any flight, if you're flying in IMC there's nothing wrong with filing an IFR plan, but it would be best to make sure the airfield of departure or handling agent sends a DEP message to activate it because activation of IFR plans inside CAS is dependent on the computer at the ATCC recognising your allocated transponder code, which you won't get if you're outside CAS.
If you're flying through the area of operation of a LARS unit, try to get the FPL addressed to them; they may not get it but it's worth a try. Also make sure it doesn't just go to the IFPS clearing centre, address it as you would a VFR plan otherwise IFPS will probably reject it or just send it to departure and destination airfields.
In the level column, file whatever level you think you will cruise at. No need in my opinion to mention you're stating outside controlled airspace, that will be evident from your route and cruising level.
chevvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45.


1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1