PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR filing outside CAS!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2017, 07:47
Talkdownman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO01
I'm departing a class D airfield. It's IMC conditions and want to depart IFR, however I want to remain in uncontrolled airspace all the way to landing. NO AIRWAYS or busy LC frequencies and not Y or Z malarkey. Class D requirements say I have to file a FlightPlan.

FlightPlan:

1/ How do I file the FlightPlan, V or I?
No point in filing a VFR FPL if conditions are IMC! It's impossible to fly VFR in IMC!

Originally Posted by JIMBO01
want the correct answer and if possible a reference on either ICAO or CAA publications.
In the UK your references are the UK IAIP ENR 1.10 and CAP 694 The UK Flight Planning Guide.

In particular see ENR ENR 1.10-2 Para 1.4 which explains that an abbreviated (telephoned) FPL will suffice to fly within your CTR whether VFR or IFR, and without having to submit a full FPL:

An Abbreviated Flight Plan is the limited information required to obtain a clearance for a portion of flight, filed either by telephone prior to take-off or by radiotelephony (RTF) when airborne. This might apply in the case of a required clearance to fly in a Control Zone (CTR) or crossing an Airway. No flight plan form is submitted and the destination aerodrome will not be informed. An abbreviated flight plan transmitted in the air by radiotelephony for the crossing of controlled airspace or any other areas or routes designated by the competent authority normally contains as a minimum: call sign, aircraft type, point of entry, point of exit and level.

In the case of a departure from an aerodrome within a CTR an Abbreviated FPL may be sufficient to obtain clearance to depart the aerodrome and route to the appropriate CTR/CTA boundary. However, some aerodromes require aircraft to follow designated noise preferential routes which may be identified as Standard Departure Routes (SDRs) depending on the outbound track of the flight.

A Full flight plan must be filed if the pilot requires the destination aerodrome to be notified of the flight.
In other words, just pick up the 'phone to ATC and tell them what you want to do! Obtain an IFR clearance for that portion of flight within the CTR, and once outside CAS fly IFR to your heart's content in IMC or VMC whilst communicating with whatever agency you feel is appropriate, no written FPL required.