PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR filing outside CAS!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2017, 19:58
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO01
Guys, I need clarification. All the posts I read just wonder into an abyss of replies and the answer is not given. I want a definitive answer, not an essay.

I'm departing a class D airfield. It's IMC conditions and want to depart IFR, however I want to remain in uncontrolled airspace all the way to landing. NO AIRWAYS or busy LC frequencies and not Y or Z malarkey. Class D requirements say I have to file a FlightPlan.

FlightPlan:

1/ How do I file the FlightPlan, V or I?
2/ In the altitude column, what do I state? Do I say an altitude that will keep me outside CAS (e.g. 2000ft or VFR)?
3/ Should I put a note in item 18 stating "want to remain outside CAS?

Previous posts just labour on and on, TMI, want the correct answer and if possible a reference on either ICAO or CAA publications.
Bearing in mind you can file a flight plan for any flight, if you're flying in IMC there's nothing wrong with filing an IFR plan, but it would be best to make sure the airfield of departure or handling agent sends a DEP message to activate it because activation of IFR plans inside CAS is dependent on the computer at the ATCC recognising your allocated transponder code, which you won't get if you're outside CAS.
If you're flying through the area of operation of a LARS unit, try to get the FPL addressed to them; they may not get it but it's worth a try. Also make sure it doesn't just go to the IFPS clearing centre, address it as you would a VFR plan otherwise IFPS will probably reject it or just send it to departure and destination airfields.
In the level column, file whatever level you think you will cruise at. No need in my opinion to mention you're stating outside controlled airspace, that will be evident from your route and cruising level.