The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Becoming a Pilot YouTuber...

Old 12th Nov 2020, 03:32
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Someplace else
Age: 38
Posts: 1,384
Originally Posted by Pearly White View Post
Sunny... You're starting to sound like a septuagenarian lech!
As much as I hate to agree with Sunfish, he is correct.

Look at Jonas Marcinko. Average weekend warrior YouTuber, one of the lesser known ‘Fat Tyre Cowboy’ spoons. His highest viewed videos are when he puts his girlfriend in a swimsuit in the thumbnail. Either that or when he crashes/almost crashes his aeroplanes. He’s pranged 2 so far.


nigel, good to see you’re using your stand down time productively. These threads of yours do make a nice change from the QF redundancy ones though.

j3

j3pipercub is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 03:42
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,942
How this guy got through army training thinking this way, is scary, his instructors must have taught him the same way
You can find a lack of knowledge anywhere AC, had a very senior Oz military aviator instructor tell that jet fuel was a dangerous product because of the lead it contained, besides, I forget all that helo aerodynamics as well, so you could convince me of anything.
megan is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 03:49
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 208
Tips

Don’t forget to:

- Start every video with “Hey Guys!”
- Avoid the centreline at all times
- Take videos of your EFIS showing you struggling to fly in a straight line
- Stop videos of landings just before the wheels touch down so the hard landing is not shown
- Take a selfie in the cockpit because you “didn’t know the camera was on”
- Interact with people who suck up to you
- Label anyone who in any way whatsoever disagrees with you a “bully” or “online troll”
- Speak carefully to make it sound like you are a lot more experienced and qualified than you are

Good luck.
AmarokGTI is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 03:59
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,030
Originally Posted by j3pipercub View Post
As much as I hate to agree with Sunfish, he is correct.

Look at Jonas Marcinko. Average weekend warrior YouTuber, one of the lesser known ‘Fat Tyre Cowboy’ spoons. His highest viewed videos are when he puts his girlfriend in a swimsuit in the thumbnail. Either that or when he crashes/almost crashes his aeroplanes. He’s pranged 2 so far.

j3
She’s from Lithuania and her English is getting better every day.

He lets her fly the aircraft and when she gets scared he takes over. It’s every heterosexual man’s dream, hot wife by your side who also loves flying.

Second to that is the pictures of the Icon A4 pulled up to a pristine white sand beach with your 6 year old son and you both drop in a fishing line and pick up an oversized fish and grill it up on your camp stove you had stowed in the back.

We all know that they are both pipe dreams in reality and that’s why we have YouTube !




Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 05:43
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vermont Hwy
Posts: 542
I’m just wondering how old mate is going to get this going?

I mean, he has the VET debt, so probably doesn’t want to start spending out of his own pocket to go flying, to put on YouTube, to then make money.

Or, will old mate be filming his flying when he is working for free, in the hope of becoming famous then and begin earning some YouCash, so that he then doesn’t have to work for free any more and then he can just go on being an influenza....sorry influencer....?


it sounds like he’s been suckered in by VET, and now being suckered in by the thought that he can earn a living from YouTube (yes, some do, but not many).

good luck with it, post your vids here. Let’s see how they turn out and whether CASA like them!
Car RAMROD is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 05:46
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The local
Posts: 111
Move North, sweep hangers, pack shelves and work your way up like every other respectable pilot.
ChaseIt is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 05:48
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 2,033
Don't forget to have the Linkedin page as well!

Amazing what some aviators have done in a short period of time.
Stationair8 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 05:53
  #28 (permalink)  
Man Bilong Balus long PNG
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Now officially on Life's scrap heap, now being an Age Pensioner and not liking it one little bit! I'd rather be flying but in the meantime still continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Age: 66
Posts: 2,710
Most outfits I worked for binned any c.v. that demonstrated too much ego and/or over-conflated achievements.
Likewise, Mach E Avelli; One Company in PNG I worked for once recieved an 6 to 8 page (forget exactly how many now) CV from a hopeful wannabee with a brand new CPL. The cv featured a photo of a Qantas 747 at take off which took up half the cover page.

The cv listed everything from High School Certificates achieved, a full description of hobbies and other interests etc etc.

From memory, the CP/Company Owner didn't even look past the cover page. It went straight into the Circular Filing Cabinet with some force and a few choice epithets applied with its placement. I retrieved it solely for a look out of interest but returned it to the 'CFC.'

The Office Lady eventually put it through the shredder.
Pinky the pilot is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 08:32
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CNS
Posts: 8
Take yourself out the back and administer yourself a solid uppercut. Come back and talk to us when you’ve stopped acting like a spastic.
threegreensconfirmed is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 08:46
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,030
Originally Posted by threegreensconfirmed View Post
Take yourself out the back and administer yourself a solid uppercut.
... and film yourself doing and put it on YouTube and you'll make more money out of that than you'll ever make out of a pilot channel.

(PS: it will cost you a fortune to hire the aircraft in order to make your YouTube videos)
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 09:06
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by wheels_down View Post
There is a Jetstar pilot who has one of those YouTube and Insta channels, I’m amazed the company allows it.

I’m no management pilot, however doesn’t sit well with me and would get a tap on the shoulder from myself, or my mob anyway.
Said pilot does not identify the company he works for or any sensitive info. All videos are taken at appropriate and legal times. It's up to you whether you watch it or not. Truth is he holds a position with a major Australian airline, a lot of his online detractors do not.

However there are pilot channels that are made with the approval of airline management. Benefits for the airline and the individual. I don't begrudge them for wanting to promote aviation to those on the outside, and most of they say is fairly technically accurate. These guys fly for Ryanair, Cargolux and Envoy:



dr dre is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 09:29
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
Said pilot does not identify the company he works for or any sensitive info. All videos are taken at appropriate and legal times. It's up to you whether you watch it or not. Truth is he holds a position with a major Australian airline, a lot of his online detractors do not.
Didn’t he also have great difficulty in moving to the right seat of the A320 when he eventually got out of the 787 back seat? Maybe he should have spent more time studying how to be an FO instead of making videos all the time.

I saw some of them (god forbid I actually made him any money), they were the biggest crock of shit I’ve come across and made little representation of the realities of airline flying
morno is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 09:34
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,373
Originally Posted by morno View Post
Didn’t he also have great difficulty in moving to the right seat of the A320 when he eventually got out of the 787 back seat? Maybe he should have spent more time studying how to be an FO instead of making videos all the time.
Best not to bad mouth an individual's career online if you're not fully versed with the facts of the situation. Most of us would've had speed bumps in our careers at some point.
Regardless said pilot is now checked to line and operating the same as any other pilot.

I've noticed a lot of those who are quite dismissive of him on some forms of publicly accessible social media are at a less advanced stage of their career, usually still in GA. It is very likely that some of them at some stage in their careers will join the same company and have that person sitting 3 feet to their left. Be very careful about what you will say online that will stay there forever because you don't know if you'll be sharing a flight deck with a target of your comments one day.
dr dre is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:09
  #34 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Darwin
Posts: 29
Definitely a click bait thumbnail! I am not attractive enough to have any girls in my thumbnails so my thumbnails would not be clickbait worthy!!
nigelsomers is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:10
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1,030
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
Best not to bad mouth an individual's career online if you're not fully versed with the facts of the situation. Most of us would've had speed bumps in our careers at some point.
Regardless said pilot is now checked to line and operating the same as any other pilot.

I've noticed a lot of those who are quite dismissive of him on some forms of publicly accessible social media are at a less advanced stage of their career, usually still in GA. It is very likely that some of them at some stage in their careers will join the same company and have that person sitting 3 feet to their left. Be very careful about what you will say online that will stay there forever because you don't know if you'll be sharing a flight deck with a target of your comments one day.
I understand your point however those who wish to play the game of in your face insta pilot need to expect comments regarding one self from all directions. If you can’t take the criticism by all means delete the accounts.

Perhaps it’s just me. If I was the CP, well it’s a turn off to me. Wouldn’t be getting a promotion from me with such profiles active. Maybe I’m just old school, and maybe this is what all the young ones do. Who knows, I don’t go checking.


All videos are taken at appropriate and legal times.
Is that right out of the operators social media policy is it? Laughable.

Last edited by wheels_down; 12th Nov 2020 at 10:23.
wheels_down is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:14
  #36 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Darwin
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Car RAMROD View Post
I’m just wondering how old mate is going to get this going?

I mean, he has the VET debt, so probably doesn’t want to start spending out of his own pocket to go flying, to put on YouTube, to then make money.

Or, will old mate be filming his flying when he is working for free, in the hope of becoming famous then and begin earning some YouCash, so that he then doesn’t have to work for free any more and then he can just go on being an influenza....sorry influencer....?


it sounds like he’s been suckered in by VET, and now being suckered in by the thought that he can earn a living from YouTube (yes, some do, but not many).

good luck with it, post your vids here. Let’s see how they turn out and whether CASA like them!
I'm not sure yet. I have a GoPro and some savings that I might burn on doing some flights and filming them. But yeah, it is just a thought because I'm trying to brainstorm how to earn money from this industry. I did ask about flying for free in another post to get some initial experience that might lead to something else. But YouTube is an option because maybe it could make enough money one day to be an actual job...
nigelsomers is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:18
  #37 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Darwin
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Squawk7700 View Post
... and film yourself doing and put it on YouTube and you'll make more money out of that than you'll ever make out of a pilot channel.

(PS: it will cost you a fortune to hire the aircraft in order to make your YouTube videos)
Yeah that's harsh... there seems to be other pilots doing it and making some money out of it. I really think it is a viable career option. Well I was thinking of doing it with another guy in the group and share the cost. We were even thinking about creating a joint channel and sharing the cost of the rentals etc.
nigelsomers is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:38
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
Best not to bad mouth an individual's career online if you're not fully versed with the facts of the situation. Most of us would've had speed bumps in our careers at some point.
Regardless said pilot is now checked to line and operating the same as any other pilot.

I've noticed a lot of those who are quite dismissive of him on some forms of publicly accessible social media are at a less advanced stage of their career, usually still in GA. It is very likely that some of them at some stage in their careers will join the same company and have that person sitting 3 feet to their left. Be very careful about what you will say online that will stay there forever because you don't know if you'll be sharing a flight deck with a target of your comments one day.
Yeah he definitely won’t be on my left and I’m definitely a lot further up the tree than he is. Happy to be critical of him.

If he’s silly enough to be involving his career with his public social media profiles, then expect criticism.
morno is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 11:16
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,030
Originally Posted by nigelsomers View Post
there seems to be other pilots doing it and making some money out of it. I really think it is a viable career option. Well I was thinking of doing it with another guy in the group and share the cost. We were even thinking about creating a joint channel and sharing the cost of the rentals etc.
But what will your content actually be, flying around with a mate? Preflights, ATC interactions, flying approaches? What makes a video interesting is your personality, attractiveness, humour, places you go, drama on the way there, cool subject matter. “The Candourist” has a lot of that stuff and he’s picking up around 15,000 views per video per month which isn’t enough to pay for expenses.

You’re going to spend hundreds of dollars on hiring a 172 or something better and fly somewhere, spend days and days editing it and get a few hundred views, unless you have some of the elements listed above, plus you need 1,000 subscribers and many hours of video views before you can be monetised.

It’s a little like being a used car salesman or a civil engineer and deciding you want to be a commercial pilot and get straight into it and earning money, however with your Vet fee loan, you know that isn’t possible.

I am not trying to say that you won’t be able to do it, I just don’t want you blowing your last remaining savings on something that is highly likely to cost you dearly, with no return, without a lot of thought and planning going into it.

You may in fact be better off to purchase an already monetised channel for a few hundred dollars and renaming it. You’ll also need a DSLR 4K vlogging camera with stabilisation, as GoPro’s won’t give the images that you need to compete. Plus you’ll need a powerful PC capable of processing the 4K content.

I’ve got a couple of YouTube channels with 5,000 subscribers and a few million views and it’s bloody hard to strike it lucky with a good video that appeals to the masses. It’s a lot of work unless someone hurts themselves and you catch it on camera!
Squawk7700 is offline  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 19:33
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sierra village
Posts: 381
Nigel,
The only way to find out is to give it a go. It either works, or it doesn’t and besides you’ll probably learn something new along the way.

Asking for advice on these forums invites negative and unkind comments which may well be the truth, but do they really matter?

FWIW, despite knowing full well that it’s a complete and utter waste of time, I’m an avid watcher of golf instruction videos on YouTube. Judging by the number of subscribers and views these guys command, I’d say I am not Robinson Crusoe.
lucille is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.