Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

How does logbook data count toward requirements for airlines?

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

How does logbook data count toward requirements for airlines?

Old 8th Jan 2019, 19:30
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
How does logbook data count toward requirements for airlines?

Hello,

Before jumping to questions, I would like to introduce my background and what I am confusing regarding logbook entry.

I was an airlines pilot from Vietnam. I got my very first CPL ME/IR in Melbourne, AUS in 2009. I then came back to Vietnam and became airlines pilot until 2017. I have ATR72/B777/87 typed in my Vietnamses license for FO. I got 2 licenses at that time which I used my Vietnamese one to practice my privilieges. I logged most of my airlines experience with my vietnamese license, around 6000h.

In 2017, I quitted my job in Vietnam to move to the U.S. After a year being unemployed, I started to find a way to get my pilot job back here. At that time both of my licensesís currency expired. However, I can ONLY revalidate my Australian license. I am unable to renew my Vietnamese license due to The Aviation Administration of Vietnam can only revalidate for pilots belonged to the airlines which I am not.

I am taking an atp type rating course at the moment, in order to transfer to FAA ATP.

And this is my serious question. If I use my Australian CPL to transfer to FAA ATP, do I have to consider only flight hours logged under this license to count toward total experience for FAA ATP(1500h) because I cant meet the requirement with this license. Can anyone who has been through this problem explain for me? I appreciate for any help.

Minh is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 20:23
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 37
Posts: 1,395
As long as you have your time logged in a logbook, digital or not, your time counts. An aircraft is an aircraft. It doesnít matter under what license you operated said aircraft.
zondaracer is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 20:53
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,427
Minh,

What's your citizenship status ? Do you have the legal ability to live and work in the USA long term ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 21:02
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Minh,

What's your citizenship status ? Do you have the legal ability to live and work in the USA long term ?
Yes I am a lawful permanent resident. I already did the atp ctp course and took the atp written.
Minh is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 21:03
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by zondaracer View Post
As long as you have your time logged in a logbook, digital or not, your time counts. An aircraft is an aircraft. It doesnít matter under what license you operated said aircraft.
Are you sure about that? Is there any regs that I can search for about this? Thanks anyways
Minh is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 21:17
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,427
Minh,

Well, looks like once you get your FAA ATP squared away, you'll at least have the regional of your choice to get you back in the game and get some recent experience.

Do you have a 4-year university degree ?

Good luck in your efforts. Sounds like you're well on your way.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 21:24
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Minh,

Well, looks like once you get your FAA ATP squared away, you'll at least have the regional of your choice to get you back in the game and get some recent experience.

Do you have a 4-year university degree ?

Good luck in your efforts. Sounds like you're well on your way.
Well I have been struggling alot to get back to fly since my dad passed away and I had to move to the US to take care my mom. Thanks for cheering me up. If you know anything about how these hours count, I will be so grateful. I couldnt find any sources relating to this so I hope someone can help me here. Cheers
Minh is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 01:58
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 37
Posts: 1,395
Yes Iím sure. I have dealt with dozens of foreigners doing license conversions to FAA. I have also converted my FAA certificate to another country. Accepting flight time from a foreign country has never been an issue.
Reference FAR 61.51. The FARs are very black and white. There is a reference to foreign license of foreign aircraft registration. There is no limitation on this except that the aircraft must be registered in an ICAO member state.


(j)Aircraft requirements for logging flight time. For a person to log flight time, the time must be acquired in an aircraftthat is identified as an aircraftunder ß 61.5(b), and is -

(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry with either a standard or special airworthiness certificate;

(2) An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization;

zondaracer is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 03:06
  #9 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by zondaracer View Post
Yes Iím sure. I have dealt with dozens of foreigners doing license conversions to FAA. I have also converted my FAA certificate to another country. Accepting flight time from a foreign country has never been an issue.
Reference FAR 61.51. The FARs are very black and white. There is a reference to foreign license of foreign aircraft registration. There is no limitation on this except that the aircraft must be registered in an ICAO member state.


Thank you for your helpful info. Well now at least I am not worrying about my hours anymore. Thanks again, I appreciate that.
Minh is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 06:54
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,422
If you look up the requirements under 14 CFR Part 61 you will find that all aircraft time counts towards a certificate of license.
Aircraft meaning anything that flies.
So if you have reliable records the FAA will accept your flight time.
Get records from your previous employers and from your type rating providers.
B2N2 is offline  
Old 10th Jan 2019, 13:54
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,427
Originally Posted by Minh View Post
Well I have been struggling alot to get back to fly since my dad passed away and I had to move to the US to take care my mom.
Minh,

Sorry to hear about your dad. I know that's a life altering event.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 15:24
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 78
Minh, sorry to hear about your father. I have cleared my inbox so you should be able to send me a PM now. Send me you contact details and I can walk you through all the FAA requirements converting from a foreign license and then working for a regional.

From what you've posted already it sounds like a flight school is gouging you for money unnecessarily.
havick is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2019, 01:14
  #13 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by havick View Post
Minh, sorry to hear about your father. I have cleared my inbox so you should be able to send me a PM now. Send me you contact details and I can walk you through all the FAA requirements converting from a foreign license and then working for a regional.

From what you've posted already it sounds like a flight school is gouging you for money unnecessarily.
I have sent you a message. Hopefully you can guide me thru. Cheers
Minh is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2019, 02:21
  #14 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by havick View Post
Minh, sorry to hear about your father. I have cleared my inbox so you should be able to send me a PM now. Send me you contact details and I can walk you through all the FAA requirements converting from a foreign license and then working for a regional.

From what you've posted already it sounds like a flight school is gouging you for money unnecessarily.
Please delete some of your private messages so I can give my cell number. Cheers
Minh is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2019, 13:00
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by Minh View Post

Please delete some of your private messages so I can give my cell number. Cheers
my messages are basically empty
havick is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 05:29
  #16 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 17

Originally Posted by havick View Post


my messages are basically empty
This is what it said when I send to your inbox!
Minh is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 06:32
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL350
Age: 34
Posts: 176
I find it hard to believe that a jet pilot cant score a job in the US
Ilyushin76 is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 17:27
  #18 (permalink)  
The Bumblebee
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Inside the shiny tube.
Posts: 329
Originally Posted by Minh View Post
Hello,

Before jumping to questions, I would like to introduce my background and what I am confusing regarding logbook entry.

I was an airlines pilot from Vietnam. I got my very first CPL ME/IR in Melbourne, AUS in 2009. I then came back to Vietnam and became airlines pilot until 2017. I have ATR72/B777/87 typed in my Vietnamses license for FO. I got 2 licenses at that time which I used my Vietnamese one to practice my privilieges. I logged most of my airlines experience with my vietnamese license, around 6000h.

In 2017, I quitted my job in Vietnam to move to the U.S. After a year being unemployed, I started to find a way to get my pilot job back here. At that time both of my licensesís currency expired. However, I can ONLY revalidate my Australian license. I am unable to renew my Vietnamese license due to The Aviation Administration of Vietnam can only revalidate for pilots belonged to the airlines which I am not.

I am taking an atp type rating course at the moment, in order to transfer to FAA ATP.

And this is my serious question. If I use my Australian CPL to transfer to FAA ATP, do I have to consider only flight hours logged under this license to count toward total experience for FAA ATP(1500h) because I cant meet the requirement with this license. Can anyone who has been through this problem explain for me? I appreciate for any help.

Minh,

I used to work for VNA as well and later I moved to Korea, All the hours you flew with VNA will count towards your total time. I hope you left VNA on good terms and one of the Chief Pilots can verify your hours. I had the licensing department within VNA give me a letter verifying total hours I flew with them. I also got a letter of reference from the Chief Pilot of Airbus fleet. If I were you I would get in touch with VNA to get the letters and a valid email address.

Good luck.
DesiPilot is offline  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 11:01
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: CYYC (Calgary)
Posts: 5,258
havick,
You cannot receive PMs until you have at least 10 posts on PPRuNe.

Minh,
Good luck. Chķc mừng năm mới.
India Four Two is offline  
Old 29th Jan 2019, 15:14
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nicaragua
Age: 41
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by Minh View Post


Are you sure about that? Is there any regs that I can search for about this? Thanks anyways
To add to what zondaracer said. I did all my hours abroad and came to a regional in the US and convalidated my ATP the normal way via the FAA. The hours required per FAA do not specify what registration or country. Only needs to be recognized by ICAO.
chitolin is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.