Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Beards in the RAF

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Beards in the RAF

Old 24th Mar 2021, 21:40
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 52
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pba_target View Post
Take a loyalty pill VP! Surely that's why video calls are the norm, so the SWO can check the standard of your ironing?
Naw, just say you donít have a camera on your computer.
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 23:05
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northumberland, England
Posts: 260
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if using an official one: "bandwidth problems, Boss!"
Tocsin is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 00:21
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1000+ Posts
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand that Darn Sarf they had a few more pressing concerns than shaving, so Mog can be excused his bum fluff.

But on a cosy airfield somewhere in England (or Canada for some on here) it doesn't take much time to shave and it looks way way much smarter than tipping into met brief/1st parade looking like the biker from the Village People.

Why did the Air Force Board stop at shaving? Why not let everyone wear civvies and dispense with saluting? Why not get everyone to wear a commercial logo on their polo shirts and earn some extra moolah?

But I'm a retired old fart so back to the Times and a big leather armchair for a snooze!
Training Risky is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 02:35
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 186
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One could choose to be offended by the service accomodation, lack of work life balance, increasing cuts to facilities and capabilities, or any number of other things. Or one could choose to be offended by beards...
flighthappens is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 06:39
  #25 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 73
Posts: 1,739
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flighthappens View Post
One could choose to be offended by the service accomodation, lack of work life balance, increasing cuts to facilities and capabilities, or any number of other things. Or one could choose to be offended by beards...
Hence my "reap what you sow" implication. Pandering to ever multiplying "Wokeness" current pressures on the Service, whilst sidestepping key issues, is a dangerous path to follow in the longer term.
Haraka is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 07:28
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 2,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haraka

I hear you about wokeness. I think you need to choose your battles a little better though.

Allowing beards is not Ďwokeí. Itís just a reflection of changing times.

In the 18th century men used to plait their hair and wear wigs into battle. Eventually that went out of favour and times moved on. How is the acceptance of beards any different?

Remember, change isnít wrong. Itís just different.

I also think that those no longer serving shouldnít really expect a vote on what is acceptable any more. There are an awful lot of practices from bygone eras that we no longer use. That can be good and bad.

I donít really allow any of it to upset me too much. And I am still serving.

D&I training days are another great example of something that upsets a lot of people (especially older males). However, from listening to the conversations of some people that I serve alongside it is clear that we have a way to go before they are no longer required.

Honestly there are bigger and better things to get upset about.

BV

Bob Viking is online now  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 07:42
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: front seat, facing forwards
Posts: 1,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
I hear you about wokeness. I think you need to choose your battles a little better though.

Allowing beards is not Ďwokeí. Itís just a reflection of changing times.

In the 18th century men used to plait their hair and wear wigs into battle. Eventually that went out of favour and times moved on. How is the acceptance of beards any different?

Remember, change isnít wrong. Itís just different.

I also think that those no longer serving shouldnít really expect a vote on what is acceptable any more. There are an awful lot of practices from bygone eras that we no longer use. That can be good and bad.

I donít really allow any of it to upset me too much. And I am still serving.

D&I training days are another great example of something that upsets a lot of people (especially older males). However, from listening to the conversations of some people that I serve alongside it is clear that we have a way to go before they are no longer required.

Honestly there are bigger and better things to get upset about.

BV
Well said m8.
just another jocky is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 09:00
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around
Posts: 1,012
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop

Originally Posted by just another jocky View Post
well said m8.
text speak! Oh my god this forum is ruined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Raaaaaaaggggee11111!!!!!!!!
downsizer is online now  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 11:02
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beards are a great way to visibly distinguish blunties from aircrew as even though they are allowed in the regs, aircrew are still not allowed to have them.
VigilantPilot is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 11:53
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Den Haag/Constanta
Age: 56
Posts: 5,404
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by VigilantPilot View Post
Beards are a great way to visibly distinguish blunties from aircrew as even though they are allowed in the regs, aircrew are still not allowed to have them.
BV seemed to imply he may have one?

This RAF beardy weirdy thanks you for your concern.

I will be sure to be on the look out for freshly sown seeds to reap.

BV

PS. I think they look scruffy as hell but I have always hated shaving so I’m happy as Larry. How’s that for double standards?!
212man is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 12:17
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 184
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm not up with latest developments, but I'd thought that the DDHs had banned aircrew from having beards 18-months or so ago because of the potential lack of sealing with oxy masks.
VigilantPilot is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 12:19
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: England
Posts: 644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212Man, not sure that Bob works for the same Air Force as you...

On a practical note, does the beard interfere with the fit of the mask, especially if pressure breathing is active?
Ewan Whosearmy is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 12:22
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy View Post
212Man, not sure that Bob works for the same Air Force as you...

On a practical note, does the beard interfere with the fit of the mask, especially if pressure breathing is active?
Clearly not, looking at Mogwi's picture.
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 13:46
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Mil-26Man View Post
Clearly not, looking at Mogwi's picture.
I think Mogwi looks pretty good for 73!
Torchy is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 14:04
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dead Dog Land
Age: 76
Posts: 515
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there was always this precedent.



The Oberon is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 14:04
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
I think Mogwi looks pretty good for 73!
It's the beard!
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 14:10
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 1000+ Posts
Posts: 1,069
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Royals don't count.

The Prince James Hewitt Jr used to wear one in full dress uniform but he's bu66ered off to California now so forget him.
Training Risky is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 15:19
  #38 (permalink)  
Brewers Droop
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Beards in the RAF appears to not be on my list of problems in the world to worry about?

Am I missing something?





 
Old 25th Mar 2021, 15:27
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Narfalk
Posts: 391
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer View Post
Sums up this (and many) threads:

Every time literally anything changes in the RAF:

Serving personnel: ok whatever

Veterans (who are 100% unaffected): THIS IS AN OUTRAGE THE END OF THE RAF WAY TOO PC NOW AINT MY RAF.
Well some people have been out of the armed forces way longer that they were in them! 🤣🤣
Cat Techie is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 16:43
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: England
Posts: 644
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man View Post
Clearly not, looking at Mogwi's picture.
Mog has been very kind to me in the past, so I shall choose my words carefully... what I mean is, does a full beard interfere with the seal of the mask?!
Ewan Whosearmy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.