Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Beards in the RAF

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Beards in the RAF

Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:35
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 71
Posts: 1,550
Beards in the RAF

As an old stager I recall an Air Force within which you could only sport a beard in uniform following facial burns or a skin allergy.Those on RN Service also got away with it.
Having been sensitised by a recent couple of examples, I now am conscious of seemingly increasing numbers of RAF "Beardies"..
I fear you reap what you sow................
Haraka is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:42
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lost again...
Posts: 652
What a terrible state of affairs... It's appalling.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I shall write to my MP at once and in the event of war breaking out I will be demanding that we boycott the RAF until they are all clean-shaven.

OvertHawk is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:48
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where-ever nav's chooses....
Posts: 702
Originally Posted by Haraka View Post
As an old stager I recall an Air Force within which you could only sport a beard in uniform following facial burns or a skin allergy.Those on RN Service also got away with it.
Having been sensitised by a recent couple of examples, I now am conscious of seemingly increasing numbers of RAF "Beardies"..
I fear you reap what you sow................
what precisely are you “reaping”?
alfred_the_great is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:54
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 74
Posts: 3,870
We gave this subject a good going over a year or two back RAF Beards...?

Nearly 200 replies, might be worth reading through if you missed it first time.
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:57
  #5 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 71
Posts: 1,550
Thanks TTN I missed it.
I'll look back
H.
As of 1st September 2019 apparently.....
Hair nets "in" yet?
Haraka is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 13:19
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 175
I image your blood-pressure rising when you learn that RAF personnel aren't wearing uniform whilst working from home.
VigilantPilot is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 13:24
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: england
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by VigilantPilot View Post
I image your blood-pressure rising when you learn that RAF personnel aren't wearing uniform whilst working from home.
Take a loyalty pill VP! Surely that's why video calls are the norm, so the SWO can check the standard of your ironing?
pba_target is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 14:20
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: London
Posts: 95
Dreadful state of affairs....it will be false eyelashes next 😈
Jamesair1 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 14:34
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,937
Haraka

This RAF beardy weirdy thanks you for your concern.

I will be sure to be on the look out for freshly sown seeds to reap.

BV

PS. I think they look scruffy as hell but I have always hated shaving so I’m happy as Larry. How’s that for double standards?!
Bob Viking is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 14:40
  #10 (permalink)  
622
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hants
Age: 52
Posts: 977
...and don't forget...it applies to the men to!
622 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 14:54
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 404
If this boils your blood Haraka, wait until you hear about what happened the other day to a young RAF Regiment recruit. Oh, I forget - you did, and you were totally ok with it.
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 15:02
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Norwich
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
This RAF beardy weirdy thanks you for your concern.

I will be sure to be on the look out for freshly sown seeds to reap.

BV

PS. I think they look scruffy as hell but I have always hated shaving so I’m happy as Larry. How’s that for double standards?!
I personally cannot stand stubble on my face. Never had a balancing slug when in and never wanted one since I was out. Maybe because anything attempted 1/. didn't grow. 2/. was ginger. I do need a ruddy good hair cut mind!
Non Linear Gear is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 15:23
  #13 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 71
Posts: 1,550
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man View Post
If this boils your blood Haraka, wait until you hear about what happened the other day to a young RAF Regiment recruit. Oh, I forget - you did, and you were totally ok with it.
The originator. in my opinion quite rightly, pulled that thread and I won't be goaded by your simplistic and incorrect allegation into resurrecting it here.
Haraka is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 15:30
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: east ESSEX
Posts: 3,909
Good grief.!,with all the pay you chaps get now I would have thought that you would have bought Flag-poles,whistles and flags , in the garden for ceremonial `raising/lowering ,if working from home,dressed appropriately of course...!!
sycamore is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 16:07
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Norwich
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by Haraka View Post
The originator. in my opinion quite rightly, pulled that thread and I won't be goaded by your simplistic and incorrect allegation into resurrecting it here.
Surprised the Rocks didn't get the razors out. Would have done in the old days. An Eye Brow for and Eye Brow. Drunk armourers were always losing them.
Non Linear Gear is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 16:46
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 350/3 Compton
Age: 73
Posts: 374

We used to have them back in the days of black and white!

OK, so it ain't that great but it helped pass the time!

Mog

Mogwi is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 17:32
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In the State of Denial
Posts: 926
Bang goes your anonymity, Mogwi...!!
Ken Scott is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 18:44
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2,017
I just appreciate that Mog has both his name and which hand it is (RIGHT / STBD) written on the back of his glove.

Anyway, dashing good looks or something.
Just This Once... is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 19:36
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Just This Once... View Post
I just appreciate that Mog has both his name and which hand it is (RIGHT / STBD) written on the back of his glove.

Anyway, dashing good looks or something.
I wonder where he wrote UP and DOWN?
Ninthace is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 20:38
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around
Posts: 928
Sums up this (and many) threads:

Every time literally anything changes in the RAF:

Serving personnel: ok whatever

Veterans (who are 100% unaffected): THIS IS AN OUTRAGE THE END OF THE RAF WAY TOO PC NOW AINT MY RAF.
downsizer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.