Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

-QRA lunchtime and Voyager support from the ‚Hall

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

-QRA lunchtime and Voyager support from the ‚Hall

Old 14th Sep 2020, 16:01
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: with the wife
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy View Post
I can't get hold of anything currently to prove otherwise, but there was no Leuchars airshow after 1978 until 1981. Honest.

FB
Mrs 4ma, who was also stationed at Leuchars, is sure there was an airshow in 1979. We were posted not long afterwards to - in her words - "warmer climes".

I'll plead advancing years if I've got that wrong.
4mastacker is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2020, 18:37
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Sunny Side
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by chopper2004 View Post
The enthusiasts I encounter around country dub Coningsby Fighter-town
Brilliant!

We had very different names for the place when we boltholed there. Don’t remember any of them being in any way complimentary.
salad-dodger is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2020, 20:08
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by 4mastacker View Post
Are you sure about that? I was stationed at Leuchars from Jul 1974 until October 1979 and I don't recall a second Bolthole. Leuchars was always very busy and toward the end of my tour there, the station nearly ran out of AVTUR during one period of intense flying operations. Leuchars held an Open Day in September 1979 with both flying and ground displays, something that wouldn't have happened if they were on Bolthole.
We (111 Sqn) arrived at Leuchars from Coningsby in late 1975, replacing 23 Sqn's Lightnings so Leuchars became a completely Phantom Unit; 892 NAS (FG1), PTF (FG1), 43 Sqn (FG1) and 111 Sqn (FGR2). I don't know about a Bolthole in 1975, but I don't dispute it.

In the spring of 1979 (I remember, because I was just married), Leuchars began a Bolthole. 111 Sqn (me included) deployed to Malta for a month of annual APC and recovered to Coningsby post-ex for a detachment of at least 6 months. Date of return to Leuchars I don't know, because I was posted from 111 Sqn to the OCU in late 1979.

During the same period, 43 Sqn detached to Kinloss. The Naval Units? I don't know, but during early 1979, and throughout Bolthole, 111 Sqn was exchanging its FGR2s for FG1s, implying that Naval aviation was going subsonic.
DuncanDoenitz is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2020, 22:12
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London/Oxford/New York
Posts: 2,385
Originally Posted by DuncanDoenitz View Post
We (111 Sqn) arrived at Leuchars from Coningsby in late 1975, replacing 23 Sqn's Lightnings so Leuchars became a completely Phantom Unit; 892 NAS (FG1), PTF (FG1), 43 Sqn (FG1) and 111 Sqn (FGR2). I don't know about a Bolthole in 1975, but I don't dispute it.

In the spring of 1979 (I remember, because I was just married), Leuchars began a Bolthole. 111 Sqn (me included) deployed to Malta for a month of annual APC and recovered to Coningsby post-ex for a detachment of at least 6 months. Date of return to Leuchars I don't know, because I was posted from 111 Sqn to the OCU in late 1979.

During the same period, 43 Sqn detached to Kinloss. The Naval Units? I don't know, but during early 1979, and throughout Bolthole, 111 Sqn was exchanging its FGR2s for FG1s, implying that Naval aviation was going subsonic.
DuncanDoenitz,
Er, whilst not wishing to muddy the waters anymore with nit picking pedantry etc, but you say you deployed to Malta for a month of annual APC in the spring of 1979? Are you sure this wasn't Akrotiri on Cyprus, because I am pretty sure the RAF left Malta in 1978...
pr00ne is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2020, 22:43
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15
pr00ne; I tip my hat Sir.

I'd originally typed Cyprus, then reconsidered and amended it to Malta for some reason. Should have twigged, we were the last squadron to do our APC in Malta the previous year.

Closing Down sale, as I recall.
DuncanDoenitz is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 08:21
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 59
Posts: 1,311
4mastacker,
Are you sure you don't mean 1978, glorious weather, Phantom 9-ship which over flew Edinburgh Castle before returning, to open the afternoon Tattoo? Also, a Dutch F-104 with a Red, White and Blue Fin? Apologies but I am not so much a spotter as a complete anorak with double zip and fur lined hood!

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 08:32
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: R4808E
Posts: 419
Why do the Q support Voyagers stand by at Mildenhall and not Brize or Coningsby? TIA
Navy_Adversary is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 08:35
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 401
RW work at BZN?

CGY not suitable?

vascodegama is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 13:29
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: with the wife
Posts: 348
FB, you could be correct although I didn't think my memory was that bad. Could have sworn it was '79. Myself and the, then, brand new Mrs 4ma remember standing in front of 111's hangar looking down into a Buccaneer's cockpit as it done a very low fly-by.

I must have confused '79 with the 1978 show. After having done four or five shows, I preferred to remain in the tea-bar so I'll accept your recall of the flying display. However, I do recall the crew of the Victor in the static display being called to Ops during the display and being launched as the public were leaving. Q had been scrambled during the display and this led to a weekend of intense QRA flying due to Red Star Airlines activity oop north. We were due to receive 4 Victors for EX Northern Wedding by Monday lunchtime, but because of the Q activity, there were 11 thirsty Victors sitting on the airfield by late Sunday evening. I was the duty petrol pump attendant that weekend; QRA's flying and the Victors' uplifts had caused us to reach a very critical figure with our AVTUR stocks, so I had to call-out OC Supply at 04FS. He pulled a red book out of his safe, rang a couple of numbers and activated a plan which caused surprise and alarm at HQ Army Scotland and the stackers at HQSTC. As a result of the call, British Rail diverted extra fuel trains from Grangemouth supported by road tanker convoys from Forfar; AVTUR destined for Edinburgh and Glasgow airports was diverted to meet our needs. Our fuel off-take that week was way in excess of a normal month's usage. Someone decided to throw in a TACEVAL that week for good measure. HQ Army Scotland sent a red tab to find out "What the bloody hell is going on?" - he left quietly reflecting that "He didn't realise such things were happening".

DuncanDoenitz - The 1975 Lossie bolthole had just started when a Jaguar (XX831) planted itself in the ground not far from the dispersal where our guys were working - IIRC it was before 111 arrived. 892/PTF departed in 1978 for the Ark Royal's final commission. The departure of the last of the RN Phantoms was marred by the sad loss of XT868 - I was on the BFI behind the Q shed when the accident happened - coincidentally, I was working on the same BFI when the Sidewinder went walkabout.
4mastacker is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:21
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 59
Posts: 1,311
4mastacker,

I do recall Exercise Northern Wedding, I'm sure that was toward the end of 1978. I was a scarcely old enough to drink Scopie at Boulmer then!

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2020, 16:19
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lincs
Posts: 2,242
Originally Posted by chopper2004 View Post

Apparently today’s catch up in the Scottish isles was not Bear but Sukhoi SU-27/30/33.
It was two Russian Navy Tu-142 Bear F.


TEEEJ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.