PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - -QRA lunchtime and Voyager support from the ‚Hall
Old 15th Sep 2020, 13:29
4mastacker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FB, you could be correct although I didn't think my memory was that bad. Could have sworn it was '79. Myself and the, then, brand new Mrs 4ma remember standing in front of 111's hangar looking down into a Buccaneer's cockpit as it done a very low fly-by.

I must have confused '79 with the 1978 show. After having done four or five shows, I preferred to remain in the tea-bar so I'll accept your recall of the flying display. However, I do recall the crew of the Victor in the static display being called to Ops during the display and being launched as the public were leaving. Q had been scrambled during the display and this led to a weekend of intense QRA flying due to Red Star Airlines activity oop north. We were due to receive 4 Victors for EX Northern Wedding by Monday lunchtime, but because of the Q activity, there were 11 thirsty Victors sitting on the airfield by late Sunday evening. I was the duty petrol pump attendant that weekend; QRA's flying and the Victors' uplifts had caused us to reach a very critical figure with our AVTUR stocks, so I had to call-out OC Supply at 04FS. He pulled a red book out of his safe, rang a couple of numbers and activated a plan which caused surprise and alarm at HQ Army Scotland and the stackers at HQSTC. As a result of the call, British Rail diverted extra fuel trains from Grangemouth supported by road tanker convoys from Forfar; AVTUR destined for Edinburgh and Glasgow airports was diverted to meet our needs. Our fuel off-take that week was way in excess of a normal month's usage. Someone decided to throw in a TACEVAL that week for good measure. HQ Army Scotland sent a red tab to find out "What the bloody hell is going on?" - he left quietly reflecting that "He didn't realise such things were happening".

DuncanDoenitz - The 1975 Lossie bolthole had just started when a Jaguar (XX831) planted itself in the ground not far from the dispersal where our guys were working - IIRC it was before 111 arrived. 892/PTF departed in 1978 for the Ark Royal's final commission. The departure of the last of the RN Phantoms was marred by the sad loss of XT868 - I was on the BFI behind the Q shed when the accident happened - coincidentally, I was working on the same BFI when the Sidewinder went walkabout.