Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Old 28th May 2018, 02:53
  #3601 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The wrong time zone...
Posts: 710
Peter, all the very best!
Your tireless efforts will no doubt pay off and are a testament to your character - best of luck at ASP!
That's been a hell of a ride for you!
josephfeatherweight is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 04:35
  #3602 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3
Thanks Joseph!

I will remain resolute to the bitter end if need be! I am of the belief you haven't failed until you give up.
peterpilot88 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2018, 10:12
  #3603 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Queensland
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by NickyG View Post
ASP - I recently received an invitation to attend ASP (mid March) assuming I'll be one of the first. I'm seeking any assistance on how to prepare/what to expect as info in the letter was limited. I've applied for JBAC and already been recommended by OSB but still waiting for offer.
I know this is a pilots thread but since the testing is now combined across all OA roles I'm hoping to get some links to practice assessment likely to be included. Can anyone point me in the right direction for Aviation cognitive tests online?
The letter stated that the assessment component is all computer based consisting of aptitude testing using the Military Aviation Cognitive Testing System (MACTS).
It reads as if the test will be exactly the same regardless of the role applied for and I'm wary my flying aptitude is limited.
Thanks in advance for the assistance and I'm happy to contribute a brief if the ASP once completed.
Hi NickyG,

How are you going with your JBAC application?
I also have applied for ATC and I have my Assessment Day this month.

Feel free to message me as I tried to message you but it wouldn't let me.

Cheers
ElFynn1214 is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 01:09
  #3604 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 1
RAAF Pilot Assessment Day - Next Step

Hey guys,

Yesterday I had my assessment day for a position as a RAAF pilot.

I'll keep this brief. Basically my school results were average (I'm not dumb, I was just lazy in school), but I passed everything to meet the requirements. Its been a few years since school and I am a much more motivated and committed person than I was back then. Yesterday in the test however, I scored extremely high and did well throughout the whole day. Now, I'm just wondering how much merit that will actually carry? Do the school results matter if they have proof that things have changed? I'm heading to ASP in about 2 months. I'm not too concerned and they told me that I shouldn't be either, just to keep studying. Can anyone give their experience in ASP? I'm aware that they use MACTS to test you.

Thanks guys.
Birdyvii is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 06:00
  #3605 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7
I just got an offer to Attend ASP from the 30th July to the 2nd August, three years in the waiting. Did anyone else get an offer to attend. Could direct message me.
kyle_ is offline  
Old 7th Jun 2018, 08:18
  #3606 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,550
Those wishing a military flying career might wish to think outside the box. A young lad I've known since birth wanted to join the Navy as a pilot. Flunked the testing but was offered a Observer position which he accepted. Towards the end of his Observer commitment he applied again for Pilot which he passed. Dux at Pearce and RAAF offered him Hornets if he'd swap services. Declined, so at the age of 34 the newly graduated pilot decided to stay Navy and fly helos. More than one way to skin a cat.
megan is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2018, 04:23
  #3607 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Townsville
Posts: 2
Iím currently waiting on an invite for ASP, and I was wondering whether anyone knows how often they sit the boards?
Nate01 is offline  
Old 8th Jun 2018, 07:36
  #3608 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Townsville
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by kyle_ View Post
I just got an offer to Attend ASP from the 30th July to the 2nd August, three years in the waiting. Did anyone else get an offer to attend. Could direct message me.
Congrats man on getting the offer,
Just wondering how long the wait has been since assessment day? I sat mine January this year and they gave me the heads up saying I might get an invite in July/August. Help is much appreciated.
Nate01 is offline  
Old 9th Jun 2018, 06:17
  #3609 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Aus
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Birdyvii View Post
Hey guys,

Yesterday I had my assessment day for a position as a RAAF pilot.

I'll keep this brief. Basically my school results were average (I'm not dumb, I was just lazy in school), but I passed everything to meet the requirements. Its been a few years since school and I am a much more motivated and committed person than I was back then. Yesterday in the test however, I scored extremely high and did well throughout the whole day. Now, I'm just wondering how much merit that will actually carry? Do the school results matter if they have proof that things have changed? I'm heading to ASP in about 2 months. I'm not too concerned and they told me that I shouldn't be either, just to keep studying. Can anyone give their experience in ASP? I'm aware that they use MACTS to test you.

Thanks guys.
Well done mate 2 months is crazy fast you must have killed it. What was everyone else's average time before they were invited to asp? i've been waiting 8 months so far & have heard on average its 10-12, however hopefully the new asp system will speed it up like it supposed too.
Glenny is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:31
  #3610 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2
Is anyone here going for ADFA entry and any advice from anyone whos done the new ASP? Any way to prepare

Hows the current demand for RAAF fast jet pilots
TheTiger is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2018, 07:38
  #3611 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Birdyvii View Post
Hey guys,

Yesterday I had my assessment day for a position as a RAAF pilot.

I'll keep this brief. Basically my school results were average (I'm not dumb, I was just lazy in school), but I passed everything to meet the requirements. Its been a few years since school and I am a much more motivated and committed person than I was back then. Yesterday in the test however, I scored extremely high and did well throughout the whole day. Now, I'm just wondering how much merit that will actually carry? Do the school results matter if they have proof that things have changed? I'm heading to ASP in about 2 months. I'm not too concerned and they told me that I shouldn't be either, just to keep studying. Can anyone give their experience in ASP? I'm aware that they use MACTS to test you.

Thanks guys.

Hey mate, congratulations on doing well on your assessment day and good luck in your upcoming ASP in a couple months.

The results from your assessment day carry a lot of merit and will be a factor in determining your suitability as an officer. The upcoming ASP and other testing you have completed will be the main factor in determining your suitability for air crew roles such as pilot.

My advice is to try enjoy yourself whilst on ASP and interact as much as possible with other candidates whilst you are there. The few days down there gives you a small insight into what it is like to live on base. Take every opportunity to learn about OTS from the officer cadets and officers down there and though pilot is the main role a lot of candidates apply for, have a serious think about other aviation roles that you will learn about during the ASP.

Donít stress about the school results, I had average school and university results but after receiving strong results for pilot at ASP in May and strong recommendations during the application process, I will be sitting a board next week for RAAF Pilot.
SonicStrike is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2018, 23:48
  #3612 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Nate01 View Post


Congrats man on getting the offer,
Just wondering how long the wait has been since assessment day? I sat mine January this year and they gave me the heads up saying I might get an invite in July/August. Help is much appreciated.
Hey Mate, i had my first assessment day mid 2016 passed fine and was recommended, however i had minor medical issues as I've had a knee recon. took me all of 2017 to get my medical cleared including several doctor visits and day Surgery's just to get reports for ADF. Couple thousand dollars in bills. My medical was cleared late last year but my assessment day expired so i resat it around October passed again with flying Colours. I had an offer for ASP in march but it was only three days notice cause someone pulled out so i couldn't get the time off work. Hence i'am here now and just got my offer last week for the 30th July. - 2nd August
kyle_ is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 02:33
  #3613 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8
Has anyone been panelled for the August RAAF OTS intake yet? Iíve only just completed my OSB 2 weeks ago, and am not sure if Iíve made it in time for that course. If offers have already gone out, Iíll know to plan and hope for the January intake. Thanks
EttaJames29 is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 03:48
  #3614 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 41
So far have only heard of offers going out for the July intake and only (that I know of) to those who had completed an OSB prior to their ASP. Perhaps the new financial year will bring some progress.

edit: apparently July is full up, no offers out for August as of last week.

Last edited by tayra; 12th Jun 2018 at 10:49.
tayra is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 04:09
  #3615 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by EttaJames29 View Post
Has anyone been panelled for the August RAAF OTS intake yet? Iíve only just completed my OSB 2 weeks ago, and am not sure if Iíve made it in time for that course. If offers have already gone out, Iíll know to plan and hope for the January intake. Thanks
They are still doing osbs for the August intake. I imagine you will get a response in a couple weeks once they are done.
BordZ is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 11:50
  #3616 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Aus
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by tayra View Post
So far have only heard of offers going out for the July intake and only (that I know of) to those who had completed an OSB prior to their ASP. Perhaps the new financial year will bring some progress.

edit: apparently July is full up, no offers out for August as of last week.

Hi tayra, got an offer today for the august asp. if anyone else gets one feel free to get in touch, see you all there hopefully
Glenny is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2018, 05:36
  #3617 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: QLD
Posts: 2
Hi guys

Been reading into this quite a bit looking for anything that can help. Had my assessment day recently and have just received an offer to attend a ASP, the guy at my local requirement couldn't offer me much help on the whole process however did help a little, was wondering if anyone that has been through the new ASP could offer me a little insight into how the whole thing will go.

other questions:
Any recommendations on areas of study?
lets say i pass it and get recommended for OSB what is the wait time in between ASP's and OSB's ?

Cheers
TheGoose is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2018, 07:20
  #3618 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: overthere
Posts: 2,951
Is the OSB pass rate higher now ASP has been introduced?
donpizmeov is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2018, 02:14
  #3619 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
Hi guys

Been reading into this quite a bit looking for anything that can help. Had my assessment day recently and have just received an offer to attend a ASP, the guy at my local requirement couldn't offer me much help on the whole process however did help a little, was wondering if anyone that has been through the new ASP could offer me a little insight into how the whole thing will go.

other questions:
Any recommendations on areas of study?
lets say i pass it and get recommended for OSB what is the wait time in between ASP's and OSB's ?

Cheers
People on my ASP completed OSB within 2 months. I'd recommend utilising the time at ASP to find out as much as you can about the role you are going for, the training involved and the military lifestyle. This will help you immensely at your OSB. Also, remember that the people running the ASP will have direct influence over your application progression, so ensure that you present yourself well. I'm not sure that you can study all that much for the actual testing. Practice mental maths and short term memory problems - that's about all I can think of.
EttaJames29 is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2018, 09:25
  #3620 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Glenny View Post
Hi tayra, got an offer today for the august asp. if anyone else gets one feel free to get in touch, see you all there hopefully
Glenny, what dates did you get an offer for? i'm going on the first week of August
kyle_ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.