Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Finally a commuting roster on the 777!

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Finally a commuting roster on the 777!

Old 4th Apr 2017, 11:39
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Advance Planet System
Posts: 6
Finally a commuting roster on the 777!

According to Fleet a possible 17 days off can be achieved with the new contract on the 777??
Un_Limited is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 11:48
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 962
The devil will be in the details of the revised terms and conditions. A paycut for sure, but how much? What about housing, medical and schooling?

Still, a very interesting development. If they do go for commuting rosters it makes sense to start small with the freighter.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 11:48
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK/UAE
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by Un_Limited View Post
According to Fleet a possible 17 days off can be achieved with the new contract on the 777??
Waiting to see the reduced package before biting.
Could also leave you subject to tax in your home country.

Still, it's a positive start so credit where it's due.

Last edited by luvly jubbly; 4th Apr 2017 at 12:24.
luvly jubbly is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 12:02
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Hot place
Posts: 57
28 days on and 13 off! Count me out.
Divertnow is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 12:05
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 19
28/13 isn't that great. A good start but have to be better. Not really good for commuting if you want to see your family.

It equates to 9.6 days off per month.
That wouldn't be enough for me to see my family on
ynos is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 12:16
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 19
21/14 would be a lot more interesting, that would equate to 12.1 days off per month

Will be interesting to see the actual TnCs end of the week
ynos is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 12:32
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The Sharp End.
Posts: 433
As has been said, I'm sure EK will get more than its pound of flesh, its inherent in their nature. But I'm hopeful this is the beginning of some progress. Good idea to dip their toe in on the freighter contract.
sluggums is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 12:37
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UAE
Posts: 203
Think you have to remember that both EK and Dubai appear to be hemorrhaging cash at the moment.
I reckon this is just an attempt to reduce costs.
As stated the devil will be in the detail, but I doubt the Ts& Cs will be anything like current poor standards, they will be worse. Also I would doubt there will be discounted firm tickets included within the deal, therefore comutting will be out of your own pocket.
Let's see what they dangle in the water as bait with the package, could do with a good laugh.
gardenshed is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 13:28
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knoteatingham
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by gardenshed View Post
Think you have to remember that both EK and Dubai appear to be hemorrhaging cash at the moment.
I reckon this is just an attempt to reduce costs.
As stated the devil will be in the detail, but I doubt the Ts& Cs will be anything like current poor standards, they will be worse. Also I would doubt there will be discounted firm tickets included within the deal, therefore comutting will be out of your own pocket.
Let's see what they dangle in the water as bait with the package, could do with a good laugh.
If EK doesn't include free J class upgradeable to F class confirmed seats then it is taking the wee wee and threatening its own operation as there would inevitably be pilots not getting to DXB in time for rostered duties. An integral part of any commuting contract is free J class travel to/from home base and work base.
BANANASBANANAS is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 14:40
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 654
It looks to be a commutable contract, but certainly not a commuting contract, unless of course there is provision for tickets etc etc.
21 on 14 off and they'd be killed in the rush, but that wouldn't satisfy the slave ship mentality, nor the control freaks.
Monarch Man is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 15:12
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: On the Beach
Posts: 292
Commuting, doubt it.........

28 on, 13 off, yes all very well. But surely we know what's coming - " new freight dog acclimatisation requirements to have spent the previous 12 days in DXB prior to commencing duty ", for no particular reason.......

I especially love the way they say an individual's performance and attendance record, and pilots who've previously demonstrated flexibility, will be taken into account when selecting the chosen few.... in the same missive as telling us that there will be external advertising for the positions also. How is a new joiner's flexibility, performance and attendance record to be assessed?
Plank Cap is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 15:56
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: i'm in the parking lot
Posts: 243
not to be pedantic but where does it say "commuting contract?"

because my copy doesn't appear to read that way

and as other's have already said...the devil's in the details
The Turtle is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 16:01
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UAE
Age: 61
Posts: 35
just the first little stroke, see my post on the end of FT 2016-17 thread.
north flyer is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 16:43
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 462
Who are the pilots who fly the Emirates branded 747F working for? They are on full time contracts, I wonder what their terms are. 9.6 days per month isn't exactly stellar, even Norwegian are offering 12 off a month on a full pay package. Basically the difference is that you get the days off together, but with a probable huge difference in terms.

The devil is in the detail but all I can see is similar working days away but now grouped into large chunks (think 418 several times a month) Yes flight hours 'may' be less but time away from home will in total be very similar but for less money and less allowances.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 16:58
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Inmate of District 11
Posts: 443
IF, it was such a good deal, they would have announced pay and other statistics. The reason they didn't is to see how many enquire and the more = the less the package will be.

Jack
jack schidt is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 16:59
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Knoteatingham
Posts: 828
Originally Posted by Plank Cap View Post
28 on, 13 off, yes all very well. But surely we know what's coming - " new freight dog acclimatisation requirements to have spent the previous 12 days in DXB prior to commencing duty ", for no particular reason.......

I especially love the way they say an individual's performance and attendance record, and pilots who've previously demonstrated flexibility, will be taken into account when selecting the chosen few.... in the same missive as telling us that there will be external advertising for the positions also. How is a new joiner's flexibility, performance and attendance record to be assessed?
It is just typical management mind games to use words such as 'selected' and 'assessed' to make it sound like a juicy proposition that will be oversubscribed.
The truth of the matter is that EK has a desperate pilot manpower situation and they are just mining their wealth of dirty tricks to try to 'solve' their problem without awarding an across the board pay rise. If there is no guaranteed J class ticket between home and work bases and if the terms and conditions are any less than the existing contract (EK will still save on accommodation costs) then it's a non starter for me.

I would wait until the terms and conditions are published and then, in all probability, find them totally unacceptable and write in to CM telling him what we think.
BANANASBANANAS is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 17:05
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK/UAE
Posts: 417
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Who are the pilots who fly the Emirates branded 747F working for? They are on full time contracts, I wonder what their terms are. 9.6 days per month isn't exactly stellar, even Norwegian are offering 12 off a month on a full pay package. Basically the difference is that you get the days off together, but with a probable huge difference in terms.

The devil is in the detail but all I can see is similar working days away but now grouped into large chunks (think 418 several times a month) Yes flight hours 'may' be less but time away from home will in total be very similar but for less money and less allowances.

The 747F contracts are terminated.

Where does this 9.6 days off per month come from? There will have to be the usual legal days off in the 28 days on roster as well. Of course, some could be days off downroute.

There would just be a gap of 13 days before the next 28 day rostering period starts.

I have worked a 2 months on, 1 month off roster before, which equates to this one.

As was mentioned above, I wouldn't expect tickets included as it does not say commuting roster.
Where you are on your 13 days off roster would be subject to the usual rules I suppose.
luvly jubbly is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 17:26
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 462
28/13 is 1 day off per 2.15 worked. thus 365/(2.15+1)=115.87 periods a year
115.87/12 =9.6 off a month averaged over a year. Your currently getting 8 on the average....so an extra 1.6 per month off with your family.

Legit days off could well be down route, as they were advertised in the last freighter version.

747F are still flying, and I would be surprised if they were terminated since they carry odd sized freight that the 777F cant carry. If they have been terminated I wonder what they were previously then?
felixthecat is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 17:33
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Eternal Beach
Posts: 1,071
First 74F is out in June, second in November.

halas
halas is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 17:48
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: UK/UAE
Posts: 417
28/13 is 1 day off per 2.15 worked
You still have to have 7 legal days off in any given 28 day period so it would be 20 days off total in every 41 day rostering period. (13 of which are consecutive.)

I guess you are talking about commutable consecutive days off.
Apologies if I misunderstood.

Anyhoo, I'll wait for the small print.

Some info on the TNT B74F

Emirates to end use of 747 freighters, citing weak cargo demand | Airframes content from ATWOnline

Last edited by luvly jubbly; 4th Apr 2017 at 18:11.
luvly jubbly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.