Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Old 9th Jul 2018, 22:21
  #4521 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Dropp the Pilot View Post
Describe how the cost of living matters when you have a free house, free electricity, free water, free chauffered transport to and from work, medical insurance, next-to-free airline travel and the bulk of your children's school fees payed for you.

totally agree with you
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 9th Jul 2018, 23:52
  #4522 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 952
Because food isn't free, transport (apart from to/from work) isn't free, internet/phone isn't free (and remember Skype is blocked) and you will quickly discover that schooling is VERY expensive- it goes up every year but the amount Emirates contribute certainly doesn't. If all you ever do is go to work or sit in your 'free' housing then the cost of living won't matter- but you will go crazy in a couple of months.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 00:17
  #4523 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by BigGeordie View Post
Because food isn't free, transport (apart from to/from work) isn't free, internet/phone isn't free (and remember Skype is blocked) and you will quickly discover that schooling is VERY expensive- it goes up every year but the amount Emirates contribute certainly doesn't. If all you ever do is go to work or sit in your 'free' housing then the cost of living won't matter- but you will go crazy in a couple of months.
First of all you are not just sitting home you are flying around the globe and when you are off at home you are enjoying a couple of days with your kids or family at home maybe having dinner at home and go out the next day ...
​​​​​​Then for food and cost of living ther is no way that you spend 30k Aed a month on food and outdoor activities unless you are partying everynight and eating at 5 star restaurants every day , just remember you are an employee not a prince
lastly dubai is expensive very expensive but even with this facts the package s stil good very good and much much better than back home..
Come on dontd be spoiled guys
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 00:40
  #4524 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 952
That wasn't the question though: the point was to describe why the ever rising cost of living (and static salary) matter, which I did.

Can you save money on an F/O salary? Certainly. How much you save depends on your lifestyle of course but, as you say, Dubai is not cheap and it is getting more expensive. Remember, the way salaries are going, you will be better off the first year you are there than you ever will be again.

The first line of Dz flyer's comment, "...you are not just sitting at home...." is very relevant. No, you aren't at home- you are many thousands of miles away from your family and friends and you need to be adequately compensated for that. Most of the time it doesn't matter much (did I mention Skype is blocked in the UAE?) until a family member is ill or there is some other crisis. Then it really matters.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 00:56
  #4525 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by BigGeordie View Post
That wasn't the question though: the point was to describe why the ever rising cost of living (and static salary) matter, which I did.

Can you save money on an F/O salary? Certainly. How much you save depends on your lifestyle of course but, as you say, Dubai is not cheap and it is getting more expensive. Remember, the way salaries are going, you will be better off the first year you are there than you ever will be again.

The first line of Dz flyer's comment, "...you are not just sitting at home...." is very relevant. No, you aren't at home- you are many thousands of miles away from your family and friends and you need to be adequately compensated for that. Most of the time it doesn't matter much (did I mention Skype is blocked in the UAE?) until a family member is ill or there is some other crisis. Then it really matters.
You will be mikes away from hole and family in any airline job even if you are flying for your home country airline and i dont think you will be better rewarded for that than EK
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 01:54
  #4526 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Best Place!
Posts: 181
Just over 5 months. That's what you need to know. It took me just over 5 months to return to a normal sleeping pattern after 7 1/2 years at EK.

The argument over the package is completely irrelevant to that. What price do you place on your health? 5 months to get back to some form of pattern in sleeping is absolutely ridiculous. Do any of you read what lost sleeping patterns equate to? It is a given in our job that we have affected sleeping patterns, however, to the extent that EK disrupts them and consequently affecting your health in ways you won't see until you leave.

K1000, what Dropp wrote is wrong, Medical isn't free. You pay a premium every month for it. And it will only keep increasing because the medical system is one of the most disgusting money grabs in Dubai. The second they know you are EK they charge for everything, and inflate the cost. So as a result, EK will only keep raising the Premium, for Medical coverage from second rate Medical Professionals.
mmmbop is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 04:07
  #4527 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I won't even bother with the first part of the point you're trying to make.

As to the above, the package you're referring to may be much better than it is in your home country. At many many other pilots' homes including my own, the package is average at best and diminished greatly by the lack of respect shown to the contract by the company.

The whole point of an expat deal is for it to be good enough to attract talented expats who are willing to trade life in their home country for the rewards it provides. It doesn't seem like EK are offering anything like this at the moment.

Professionally, I'd love to experience the challenge that the EK network offers pilots (assuming I'd manage to pass the interview and assessment) but speaking to friends there now and reading the input of others here, I don't think the risk of moving my family to Dubai is work the reward the company is currently offering.

So I'm afraid I have to disagree with you when you say the package is not currently "much much better than at home".


EDIT:
Just read and now realise that you must either be a troll or a pilot with very little knowledge of life outside the poor contract you must be on.
i respect your opinion and agree of most of what you said ...but there is airlines in EU paying 3k for FO how can you accept that ? Will you be satisfied and have a happy life with such a salary? Honestly?
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 04:10
  #4528 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by mmmbop View Post
Just over 5 months. That's what you need to know. It took me just over 5 months to return to a normal sleeping pattern after 7 1/2 years at EK.

The argument over the package is completely irrelevant to that. What price do you place on your health? 5 months to get back to some form of pattern in sleeping is absolutely ridiculous. Do any of you read what lost sleeping patterns equate to? It is a given in our job that we have affected sleeping patterns, however, to the extent that EK disrupts them and consequently affecting your health in ways you won't see until you leave.

K1000, what Dropp wrote is wrong, Medical isn't free. You pay a premium every month for it. And it will only keep increasing because the medical system is one of the most disgusting money grabs in Dubai. The second they know you are EK they charge for everything, and inflate the cost. So as a result, EK will only keep raising the Premium, for Medical coverage from second rate Medical Professionals.
what you said about sleeping patterns is totally true BUT
do you mean your sleeping patterns will be affected only with EK ?
wont you fly long haul flights at night somwhere else ? This is part of the job , we all made a choice to be pilots from the beginning and this is part of it
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 04:18
  #4529 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Best Place!
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Dz_flyer View Post

what you said about sleeping patterns is totally true BUT
do you mean your sleeping patterns will be affected only with EK ?
wont you fly long haul flights at night somwhere else ? This is part of the job , we all made a choice to be pilots from the beginning and this is part of it
DZ. I still fly Long Haul. What EK does is not LH. It does LH, MH, & SH. There is no break, and no consistency. It is pure exhaustion and FATIGUE. Where I am now, I do trips, but get enough of a break to catch up my sleep. And I get AL which then allows me to get back to 'normal.' What I am saying is If you join EK, you will not know what 'normal' is again until after you leave.
mmmbop is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2018, 08:22
  #4530 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: on earth
Posts: 302
Dear DZ

I have been paid 4500 euros per months ( after tax ) , as a captain on a B737 for several years in Europe and this was more than enough to be a happy man and having a nice life.
The only reason I left is that unfortunately this company is not there anymore and I had to find another job.
If I knew ( before coming ) how it was here , despite the tax free salary , I would have tried to find another job.
I didn't have enough time to do some research before being hired and being unemployed I jump on the offer BUT I honestly regret it.
dubaigong is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 01:32
  #4531 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the back of a bus
Posts: 956
when you are off at home you are enjoying a couple of days with your kids or family at home maybe having dinner at home and go out the next day ...
said like someone who's never worked for EK. Did you even read the threads? I mean ACTUALLY read them? The way things now you are not "enjoying" anything on days off. You're dealing with life through a constant fog of fatigue unlike anything you will experience anywhere else. Add to that having to deal with the mind numbing incompetence of people around you that steals yoyr time off for trivial matters the company loves to waste time with and you pretty much barely have time to scrape yoursrlf into a semblance of feeling human before the next trip. Forget "sleep recovery"; it doesn't exist.

and that's not even accounting for those who you know, have kids to consider. They take up time too.

speaking gor myself, this was with pretty non existent social life in the last 12 months of EK. I was using my time off to sleep and scrape through. Not that i didnt want to go out, you just end up at a point where you feel your health draining and know a big night will be tge end of you for a while. Remember, it seems sick leave is a privilege not a right it if you ask the dear employer... so dont count on that to 'save' you

finally, NOTHING is free in EK. You pay dearly for it in many, many ways
givemewings is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 01:41
  #4532 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Blandings
Posts: 685
'twould only be just if you would preface your rants with "I have never ever been a pilot at Ek but...."

It does change things......
Dropp the Pilot is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 07:56
  #4533 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by Dz_flyer View Post

what you said about sleeping patterns is totally true BUT
do you mean your sleeping patterns will be affected only with EK ?
wont you fly long haul flights at night somwhere else ? This is part of the job , we all made a choice to be pilots from the beginning and this is part of it
With the greatest respect DZ, until you have flown the rosters and the hours we do here you have no idea. The mixture of East-West, LH SH, compounded by 90 hours a month is ridiculous. Yes we did make a choice to become pilots but the ground has changed under our feet. When I joined I was doing 65-70 hrs a month, had a life outside work and felt rested. That has all gone, money is the only thing that keeps me here now, and that is a great shame.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 08:04
  #4534 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the back of a bus
Posts: 956
Ah yes, I knew without looking when notified of a reply who it would be from.

Dropp you never fail do you? You know what, you're absolutely right. It DOES change things. The fact is, I prefaced my statement with 'ever WORKED for EK'. I did work for them. For a good chunk of years too. And you know what? I agree with you. My being a CC and not a pilot DOES make a difference. It means that my rosters were even more constricted and more fatiguing because CC were subject to higher hour limits, and lower requirements for rest. So yeah, while my experience may not be entirely the same as that of a pilot, it is was no less damaging to my health and I argue that it may have been more so. Ever done a 132 BLOCK hour month? Stop trying to invalidate my experiences because you have some issue with non-pilot aviation staff in this forum. I hope you don't let that chip on your shoulder show when on the job, because if your attitude is the same there you can't be very pleasant to fly with. It's people with attitudes like this that cause the 'us vs them' mentality that EK love to abuse so much. We're all on the same team, CC are not your enemy.

I'm not sure what it is that makes you always nitpick my posts in particular, other than our differing career paths in the same industry, but then again I suppose it's your problem and not mine.

Last edited by givemewings; 11th Jul 2018 at 08:15.
givemewings is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 08:22
  #4535 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 420
Guys, please don't let this degenerate into a CC vs pilots rant.

We are ALL pushed too hard here, our tempers are short and more so with tiredness. The hours that the CC work are equally ridiculous and for far less reward, every one of the CC has my respect and sympathy. Infighting between us does no good at all and makes us all look foolish.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 09:25
  #4536 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the back of a bus
Posts: 956
No fighting here, just tired of the same individual taking a pop at me.

We're all tired, we're all over it. The question is, what will you do about it? At the end of the day we all have a choice. A choice to join, or not, a choice to stay, a choice to leave.

Last edited by givemewings; 11th Jul 2018 at 14:35.
givemewings is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2018, 11:42
  #4537 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: A cut above
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by givemewings View Post
Ah yes, I knew without looking when notified of a reply who it would be from.

Dropp you never fail do you? You know what, you're absolutely right. It DOES change things. The fact is, I prefaced my statement with 'ever WORKED for EK'. I did work for them. For a good chunk of years too. And you know what? I agree with you. My being a CC and not a pilot DOES make a difference. It means that my rosters were even more constricted and more fatiguing because CC were subject to higher hour limits, and lower requirements for rest. So yeah, while my experience may not be entirely the same as that of a pilot, it is was no less damaging to my health and I argue that it may have been more so. Ever done a 132 BLOCK hour month? Stop trying to invalidate my experiences because you have some issue with non-pilot aviation staff in this forum. I hope you don't let that chip on your shoulder show when on the job, because if your attitude is the same there you can't be very pleasant to fly with. It's people with attitudes like this that cause the 'us vs them' mentality that EK love to abuse so much. We're all on the same team, CC are not your enemy.

I'm not sure what it is that makes you always nitpick my posts in particular, other than our differing career paths in the same industry, but then again I suppose it's your problem and not mine.
The problem here is that there are pilots reading this thread looking for information relevant to the experience of being an Emirates pilot and not Emirates cabin crew. Whilst your experiences are valid they are arguably irrelevant.

If you don't preface your posts with such information then you distort the message. It took me a while to work out your angle and no disrespect intended but I generally (this exchange excluded) disregard what you post for that reason.

It's got nothing to do with "pilots vs cabin crew". Is there even such a thing?
whatsyourbeef is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2018, 13:51
  #4538 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the back of a bus
Posts: 956
I've never hidden my role in this forum, there are plenty of non pilots and non EK who participate and not all of them are open about the fact that they don't work for the company.

You might think what I post is irrelevant and you're entitled to your opinion of course. However to only look at the experience of one employee group when considering to join is imho a huge mistake. The way they treat those "lower" on the chain than you indicates how you will eventually be treated. Maybe not right away but it'll happen. It's just the way it goes. I knew a bit about how the cleaners/bag throwers got treated before I joined but I wish I'd known specifics because it shows a lot about the management mentality overall.

I'll add a disclaimer to future posts (although on many I have said specifically I was talking from a CC perspective) hopefully that will keep the haters happy although I suspect some would prefer I not post at all. Too bad since I've been on this site in one form or another since the mid 90s, and I don't plan to go anywhere soon... Sorry not sorry.

I don't think there is "cc vs pilots" either but some here obviously do because they go out of heir way to make a big deal about things and not to other non-EK posters who don't even work for the company. Some in every group I guess *shrug*
givemewings is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 05:42
  #4539 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Heaven
Posts: 19
If some one has recently started preparing for emirates assesment they can PM me.I am not that good with mathematics, i need some help. Thankyou
ReducedThrust is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 04:57
  #4540 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FinalApproach
Age: 38
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by givemewings View Post
Ah yes, I knew without looking when notified of a reply who it would be from.

Dropp you never fail do you? You know what, you're absolutely right. It DOES change things. The fact is, I prefaced my statement with 'ever WORKED for EK'. I did work for them. For a good chunk of years too. And you know what? I agree with you. My being a CC and not a pilot DOES make a difference. It means that my rosters were even more constricted and more fatiguing because CC were subject to higher hour limits, and lower requirements for rest. So yeah, while my experience may not be entirely the same as that of a pilot, it is was no less damaging to my health and I argue that it may have been more so. Ever done a 132 BLOCK hour month? Stop trying to invalidate my experiences because you have some issue with non-pilot aviation staff in this forum. I hope you don't let that chip on your shoulder show when on the job, because if your attitude is the same there you can't be very pleasant to fly with. It's people with attitudes like this that cause the 'us vs them' mentality that EK love to abuse so much. We're all on the same team, CC are not your enemy.

I'm not sure what it is that makes you always nitpick my posts in particular, other than our differing career paths in the same industry, but then again I suppose it's your problem and not mine.
Shut the ,,,,,,, up. Your being cc and not Pilot makes a big difference. Aren't there threads specifically for Cc's
Sorry for my being a bit rude .
Mgggpilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.