Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

This does not bode well...

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

This does not bode well...

Old 18th Aug 2019, 05:18
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 689
Private armies donít have a good track record.
Freehills is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 06:07
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by Flex88 View Post
Two things:

1. CX now being led by 2 Mainland Chinese ???
2. Merlin Swire must be leading from behind...

THIS is how #China really works.. Classic.
1. No itís not
AllWobbly is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 06:09
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 3.5 from TD
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by Freehills View Post
Private armies donít have a good track record.
Private army defeated the British empire and sent them packing.

Mic drop.
Sqwak7700 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 06:20
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by Sqwak7700 View Post


Private army defeated the British empire and sent them packing.

Mic drop.
where? The continental army in the US revolutionary war was not private. It was the British Army if anything that relied on German mercenaries.

you might as well say the Viet Cong and NVA were private armies that sent the US empire packing
Freehills is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 10:51
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 3.5 from TD
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by Freehills View Post


where? The continental army in the US revolutionary war was not private. It was the British Army if anything that relied on German mercenaries.

you might as well say the Viet Cong and NVA were private armies that sent the US empire packing
Sorry, but not even close freehills. And if you consider the NVA a private army you are only proving my point.

Still waiting for your example of a private army not working too well. Or even for a government agency that works, which was my original challenge.

The reason you canít provide examples is because there are none. Government is run by people that earn a living ensuring its existence. Guess what comes first, providing a service, or guaranteeing they have a job? Maybe some started with honest intentions, but they eventually end up in the same place when they remove the power from the people.
Sqwak7700 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 11:49
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the twilight zone
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by Sqwak7700 View Post


Sorry, but not even close freehills. And if you consider the NVA a private army you are only proving my point.

Still waiting for your example of a private army not working too well. Or even for a government agency that works, which was my original challenge.

The reason you canít provide examples is because there are none. Government is run by people that earn a living ensuring its existence. Guess what comes first, providing a service, or guaranteeing they have a job? Maybe some started with honest intentions, but they eventually end up in the same place when they remove the power from the people.
Yes, there is one; Tax Collection Agencies
The Range is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 14:01
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by Sqwak7700 View Post


Sorry, but not even close freehills. And if you consider the NVA a private army you are only proving my point.

Still waiting for your example of a private army not working too well. Or even for a government agency that works, which was my original challenge.

The reason you canít provide examples is because there are none. Government is run by people that earn a living ensuring its existence. Guess what comes first, providing a service, or guaranteeing they have a job? Maybe some started with honest intentions, but they eventually end up in the same place when they remove the power from the people.
I am interested in where a private army sent the British packing. In the US, both the militia and the continentals were state armies, not private, similar to the VC and NVA, which were also not private armies.

private armies not working well - the reunification of China by the KMT - the private warlord armies all lost. Or the invasion of Italy by the French in 1494 - the Italian cities relied on hired private mercenary armies that were no match for a national army.

ATC is a government agency that works well.
Freehills is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 17:19
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: HK-CRoC
Posts: 555
Resigned - NO

Originally Posted by AllWobbly View Post


1. No itís not
Yes it is.....

Read between the lines as well as the part about "Fired from Swire"..
The Dragon has roared and the outcome not hard to figure out..

So much for #Diversity and #Inclusivity.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bulence-cathay
Flex88 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 20:18
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: HK-CRoC
Posts: 555
And Another Thing !

With all the current CX issues and furor in Hong Kong, it seems odd that Supreme Leader and "Inclusivity" proponent Merlin Swire is conspicuously silent these last few days ?

Perhaps he should take a few moments away from his manicure and eyebrow plucking regimen and SAY SOMETHING.. That said, if he follows in the prescribed and historical CX Chief Pilot, General Manager & Director "communication" protocol (also known as the "promotion communication protocols", you will hear nothing..

Sad that as the ship sinks, the Captain abstains from an announcement. The lack of internal fortitude is glaringly blatant !!

NOTAM
Mainland #KowTow procedures are in force UFN.
Flex88 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 20:30
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 713
UFN...? Shall we just state, "in force FOREVER" ? Bejing is never going to loosen it's grip on the neck of the HK people or HK business again. That ship has now sailed. A new day dawns.
Air Profit is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 20:33
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 713
As my FO from London said to me in the past couple of days, quote; "glad my wife convinced me to send in the BA application" ( course date imminent). I wonder how many times something similar has been said these past weeks?
Air Profit is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 23:16
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: hong kong
Posts: 84
Well looking at BA’s staff travel and retiree travel scheme moving is probably a very good move of you are young enough to do it . I believe still to be confirmed that if you are prepared to take a short haul command from LGW the promotions are reasonably fast
cannot is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2019, 23:40
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: All over
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by Flex88 View Post
With all the current CX issues and furor in Hong Kong, it seems odd that Supreme Leader and "Inclusivity" proponent Merlin Swire is conspicuously silent these last few days ?

Perhaps he should take a few moments away from his manicure and eyebrow plucking regimen and SAY SOMETHING.. That said, if he follows in the prescribed and historical CX Chief Pilot, General Manager & Director "communication" protocol (also known as the "promotion communication protocols", you will hear nothing..

Sad that as the ship sinks, the Captain abstains from an announcement. The lack of internal fortitude is glaringly blatant !!

NOTAM
Mainland #KowTow procedures are in force UFN.
There is no way in hell that the powers to be are going to jeopardize a huge capital dynasty ó of which the airline is a tiny small facet ó over who has operational control of CX.
Slasher1 is online now  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 20:53
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: china
Age: 49
Posts: 68
Lets all hope the whole CX house of cards comes crashing down . What a fiasco , a miserable employer.
Címon protesters, get a grip, and challenge the colonial dynasty , they are all in cohorts with the mainland taipans . The pilots will be thankful . We just donít know it yet.
kahaha is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 21:41
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
Lets all hope the whole CX house of cards comes crashing down . What a fiasco , a miserable employer.
Címon protesters, get a grip, and challenge the colonial dynasty , they are all in cohorts with the mainland taipans . The pilots will be thankful . We just donít know it yet.
oh brilliant idea🙄 and how about the other tens of thousands of employees, their families and kids not to mention all the thousands in related industries.
The ones on a hand to mouth existence, no housing , education, no financial cushion or escape route.

AllWobbly is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 01:17
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: S.E.Asia
Posts: 1,764
Latest from Reuters.

HONG KONG/SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Pilots and cabin crew at Hong Kong’s Cathay Pacific Airways described a “white terror” of political denunciations, sackings and phone searches by Chinese aviation officials amid anti-government protests gripping the former British colony.

Cathay, founded by an American and an Australian during British rule in 1946, was caught in the middle of the crisis 11 days ago, when China demanded it suspend staff involved in the protest movement.

The firm agreed, firing two pilots, but has since been plunged into turmoil after CEO Rupert Hogg was replaced last week.

Another pilot, Jeremy Tam, who is also a pro-democracy lawmaker, said on Tuesday that he and others had quit the airline as the internal political pressure was intolerable.

“That (China’s aviation regulator) has reached into Hong Kong and directly pressured a local airline is undoubtedly ‘white terror’,” he wrote on his Facebook page, using a popular Hong Kong expression used to describe anonymous acts that create a climate of fear.

“There have been resignations from frontline staff to the company’s CEO because of this political trial.”

The airline confirmed Tam was no longer an employee and said it could not comment on internal staff matters. China’s aviation regulator has not responded to Reuters’ requests for comment.

CEO Hogg’s surprise exit sent a chill through the company of 27,000, according to Reuters interviews with eight staff members, as well as posts on two unauthorized but popular staff-only Facebook pages that illustrate the pressure on workers.

“There is a ‘white terror’ in our company,” one crew member at Cathay’s regional subsidiary, Cathay Dragon, told Reuters at a railway station on her way home. “We feel really scared to talk political stuff, even for chit-chat.

“Some of the pro-Beijing people set up a Telegram group and post our personal information, like our addresses, phone numbers, if they discover that we support the movement on our own social media,” she added, referring to use of the messenger app Telegram by both Cathay insiders and others who do not support the protests.



https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1VA13Y
Mike Flynn is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 06:14
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: England
Posts: 578
Originally Posted by AllWobbly View Post


oh brilliant idea🙄 and how about the other tens of thousands of employees, their families and kids not to mention all the thousands in related industries.
The ones on a hand to mouth existence, no housing , education, no financial cushion or escape route.

Yeah, like the pilots ever gave a flying foxtrot about them until the chickens came home to roost...
Kitsune is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 08:52
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Oztrailia
Posts: 2,695
Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
Lets all hope the whole CX house of cards comes crashing down . What a fiasco , a miserable employer.
Címon protesters, get a grip, and challenge the colonial dynasty , they are all in cohorts with the mainland taipans . The pilots will be thankful . We just donít know it yet.

youíre an idiot.........
ACMS is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 10:13
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Polar Route
Posts: 1,848
Originally Posted by ACMS View Post



youíre an idiot.........
Absolutely, even if youíve moved on, why would you want to harm your friends and former colleagues?
cxorcist is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 02:09
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: HK
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by cxorcist View Post

Absolutely, even if youíve moved on, why would you want to harm your friends and former colleagues?

Because it's YOU self-serving C*nts with no back bone that caused many of us to leave. The current pilot cadre is whole responsible. Excuse's like mortgages, kids, school, I like the W's... all contribute to Swire tightening the screws.

Shut the Airline down.

There are more jobs... You'll all just have to get off your lazy arse's and make half a effort. You've all got Stockholm Syndrome.

I can't wait to see CX burn.
FreemaninHK is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.