Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

The truth about being a commercial pilot

Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2002, 22:22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I might start this forum for the benefit of the users, who like me, are doing an office job and dream of being a commercial pilot ...

If there are any real commercial pilots on this forum, can you please respond to this thread explaining what life is really like as a pilot. The following questions are a guide :

1). What sort of pilot are you ? airline, cargo, flying instructor ?

2). If airline, then do you work short/long haul for a traditional/budget/charter airline ?

3). How does flying integrate with your life-style ?

4). Given that most users on this forum would give everything up to be in your shoes, how do you feel about this ? Do you think they are seeing pilots jobs for what they really are, or are they seriously misguided ? What would you say to them ?

5). Is there a job you aspire in the same way as us "wannabe's" aspire to your job ?

6). For those who work for a budget carrier, what is it like compared with working for a traditional carrier ?

7). Some people compare airline pilots with train/bus/taxi drivers. Does the job feel like one of these ?

8). Does the job ever get boring (apart from long haul flights) ? Do you feel you're doing something new every day ? or is it monotonous ?

9). Finally, If you work for a Cargo Carrier, then what is it like ?
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 04:22

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Done a few flying jobs. Did them in Oz, now waiting to fly in the UK.
Instructor.
Part time on weekends
*check flying for the day v's hours on aircraft.
*answer phones/radio
*check oil/fuel q/tyre pressures and clean the windscreen on the fleet.
*make tea/coffee etc for customers
*advise students what flying is about, next steps etc
*fuel aircraft
*brief students
*fly with students (not many I am afraid)
*keep eye on weather and update.
*ensure the aircraft were tied down before going home.

Charter pilot.
This involved a shift to the bush. (5,000km drive)
*check roster before going home
*get up at 4am
*get to work by 5am
*daily the beast (C207) making sure the windows are spotless.
*drive bus into town and gather pax
*sort out the tickets etc
*brief pax about the flight.
*fly it. 2 hour scenic with commentary.
*return pax to hotels
*get ready for freight flight. Rip out seats, load 500kg of freight into the beast.
*preflight it. (with luck you get the same plane. Therefore only one daily
*fly to an outback aboriginal community
*unload freight, put seats back in and sell tickets.
*fly back to town.
*work in the hangar till 2.30pm. Go home and sleep
*repeat 4-5 days a week.
*if flying the indigenous folk around, waste at least 1 hour trying to find them.
*some days = one flight, other days = up to 4 flights.
*answer phones, clean office, do amendments, work in hangar.
*go to pub and await boss's call

Coastwatch pilot.
*visual task so it was the Islander or the Shrike.
*turn up to work 2 hours prior to sort out the wx/plan/task/fuel for the day.
*drag plane out of hangar and daily it.
*brief the crew.
*fly around the Kimberley archipelago for a few hours hoping you'll land before the bladder bursts. Nice and low, about 500' with 100' phot runs. Fun. Look at mangroves, whales, boats, yachts and crocs.
*land. Wash salt off plane. Detergent wash once a week.
*debrief.
*do usual office stuff but usually land/wash and go home usually about 1 hour to 2 hours after landing.
*hope the roster hasn't changed too much since the morning's departure.....

small regional airline pilot (Bandit/Twotter FO)
*turn up to work about 45 min prior.
*submit the plan, work out the fuel. Hope the captain agrees. (Captain daily's the plane)
*get the pax load from ops and wander out to the plane.
*meet and greet pax.
*brief pax and hand out the chow.
*argue with the captain as to who's leg it is. (weather dependent)
*fly out to somewhere hot.
*land and unload couple hundred kg's of freight and bags. Load more on.
*repeat till thoroughly sick of it and dehaydrated. Land and knock off exactly 15min after engine shut down.
*after filing the trim sheets/plans and entering FD times in the computer as well as checking that the roster hasn't changed.
*run away before ops can assign any more duties.
*if on the twotter, have a Ground Hog day flying to the same place 3 times in one day....
*try to be inventive with the pax briefings to show enthusiasm and still get the point across.

*get roped into office duties.

large regional pilot (FO) (Dash 8)
*bash through peak hour traffic to get to work and fight for car park spot.
*check in with ops.
*grab plan/wx/notams and remember to sign the book with the company standing orders and weekly notams.
*work out who you are flying with. That will determine if it's a good day or a day from hell.
*figure out the fuel and wave it near the captain to see if he (at the time I was there, there were no female capt) agrees with it. Usually does.
*submit the plan and the fuel chit to ops.
*check arrival tv to see where our plane is.
*wander out to tarmac and make sure it has the required number of wings, wheels and the like.
*if it's the first flight of the day, do the external walk around.
*set the fuel bugs
*leap aboard and say g'day to the FA. Sort out the drinks.
*do the preflight and grab the ATIS.
*come together and do the briefing. Once again, sus out where the viscious xwind will be and argue against that leg.
*Start up and taxi off. Have a brief chat to the pax and completely unsettle them as they now realise it's a female flying.
*land and now work like a one armed bandit for the turnaround.
*grab the RTOW book and scribble out the TOLD card.
*run around the plane trying to not let the hat be blown away.
*find the captain and repeat the process.
*refine the TOLD when have the final weight.
*fly away.
*land and either go home after zooming past ops or head to the hotel. Track direct for the free drink
*if the roster has changed, it will cost them. Unions are a good thing.

UK
*Park yourself in Ops and learn a lot.

Hope that was reasonably interesting.

mpala,
Now I'll answer your questions.
Initially, lifestyle just doesn't come into it. You'll have none starting off. After a few years, that becomes more important.
However, you are more or less a slave to the industry. You will go where the work is.

No, I don't think people on the outside really see flying for what it is. They don't see the sacrifices, the poor pay, mercy of the roster and weather. They certainly don't see the medicals and the checks that just NEVER go away. Redundancies and separations from loved ones always happen. It sucks.

Yes the job can get boring. Dangerously so. You have to be extremely vigilant to keep yourself fresh and not become complacent. Fatigue is a genuine problem and it is insidious.

No idea re train/bus drivers. Never been one.

The golden age of aviation is over. The most fun I had was flying a bugsmasher around the Kimberley. It was also the time I worked the hardest and got the least pay. The more money I earnt the less fun I had. Therein lies the rub.
Nowadays, you are expected to be a system manager and be forced to jump through psych tests and the like. Not many people actually "fly" any more. That's a sad thing.
I learnt to fly because I wanted to fly........ not just be an airline pilot.
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 05:44
DIRECTOR

Mpala If you don't mind me saying so that is a dumb question as different Pilots will have different views and all sorts of things come into the equation.
I suggest you stay in the office until such time as you can decide exactly what it is you want in life. Why do you want to be a Pilot??? What is it about being what you think the job entails that is heading you in that direction? I then might be able to tell you whether your dreams are likely to be realised.
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 09:13

thegypsey - there's no such thing as dumb questions, just dumb answers as you have reminded us. I too am in an office job dreaming about being a commercial pilot, would you like to analyse my dreams too?

mpala, excellent questions, redsnail, excellent answers, nuffsed.

D
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 09:16

Why do it if it's not fun?

Not dumb at all, gypsy. Answers from any one individual might not mean much, but if enough people answer, us Wannabes can get a good idea of what we're letting ourselves in for.

Thanks for such a great reply, Reddo. Looking forward to reading more replies from other pilots.

FFF
-----------------
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 10:33

redsnail,

Thanks for posting such a detailed response - very interesting reading.
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 10:51

Thumbs up

redsnail,

Great response Its funny, but the more you gals and guys try to put us off the more convinced I am that I am making the right choice! Then again, the "Don't Walk on the Grass" signs were irrisistible as a child. So long as modern cockpits don't have "Do not press this button" buttons I think I will be ok

Cheers,
Kef.
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 11:47

Thanks redsnail for the info.very interesting. I just wanted to say as at the moment I am in ATPL training in germany (with a loan for 35000 Euros) I feel that I have done the right decision!!!I do not know what it will be like once I am finished, but the flying school oparates three King Air's (C-90, B-200) as vip transporters, and I talked to a few pilots and all said that allthough it was difficult working odd houres, nobody wanted to change their job.
And in the CPL/IFR course I visited I was the only "real" flying student, meaning not a having a full-time job next to flying( unless you considere school a full-time job ...)
The point I am making is that there is allways a way if you want to get there.
And when youre approaching a short field, coming over a forrest with 16ktsG20kts from the side, and you land it it kind of makes you proud...
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 13:03
Modelmaker

redsnail - nice life stories... /me (wannabee) admires you when you write this down:
"The golden age of aviation is over. The most fun I had was flying a bugsmasher around the Kimberley. It was also the time I worked the hardest and got the least pay. The more money I earnt the less fun I had."

i'm completely convinced by these thoughts... money can't buy happiness as they say... after reading all these threads - i think i'll decide to leave the EU for a while and give in to the temptation looking my luck elsewhere.

Old 3rd Dec 2002, 13:29

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
No worries folks, thanks for your replies.
I figured that I have done some flying that many in the EU would never have been exposed to.
Kefuddle, not trying to put you off at all.

The dream that the schools sell to you versus the reality is quite often poles apart.
Fact: unless you score a jet job (or FRA) the pay will be poor for a few years. Something to remember with a huge mortgage/loan.
Fact: it's hard work on your partner. Studying is bad enough, then you'll probably have to move. Checks will get in the way of your social life as well as roster changes/disruptions. You think you'll be home at time "x" but the weather craps out and goodness knows when you'll be home.
Fact: if you change jobs, chances are you'll have to go to the bottom of the seniority list or the company decides to change your base. Like it or lump it.
Fact: you are at the mercy of your health/skills.
Fact: you will probably have to move at least 100m to 10,000miles to get a job.
Fact: it will take 3, 4 even 12, 24 months to get a job. Any job.

I could tell you all about the great things. Seeing a great moonrise, seeing a stunning sunrise, flying around some of the world's most stunning scenery. Meeting lots of people and working with people that will become friends for life.
While those experiences are fantastic and I wouldn't swap it for the world, it will not pay the bills or put food on the table.
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 13:59

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
If I may I'll add my 2 pence worth now. I know it's off topic and I apologise, as this is happening more and more on Pprune, (and I'm guilty of it myself).

But to those weighing up commercial flying against military flying, I would suggest only applying for the latter if you are 110% committed to being an officer/SNCO/NCO in HM Forces.

I feel my comments are relevant because those people who are realising that an fATPL is enormously expensive may consider applying for the military instead.

The flying is great, the people on the shopfloor and the lower management are all great, and the pay is not bad.

But...

You spend more time away from home/friends/family than if with an airline, and it's not all flying. Secondary duties on the ground form a large part of our lives.

Bear in mind also that you can spend 3 years training to fly helicopters when you never wanted to, get chopped for low-level nav, and that's your lot! The RAF does not need any more multi-engine pilots for the time being! It needs fast-jet and helicopter pilots, that's where the holes in the front line are.

Good luck for all those who apply though.
Old 4th Dec 2002, 03:54

Mpala In my opinion you either want to be a pilot or you don't and to ask people what they think makes me wonder whether you are the right person for the job . Dissatisfaction with what you are doing in your office day dreaming about another job does not strike me as the right way to approach such a change of career. Kindly let us all know what you think being a Pilot entails and then you will probably get lots of replies ranging from putting you off totally to telling you how wonderful it is.

Gypsy I am inclined to agree with your remarks.
Old 4th Dec 2002, 07:13
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Millerscourt,

How the devil is he supposed to find out if the job is for him without asking the guys and girls already in the job? Questions exactly like his were the reason PPRuNe Wannabes was set up.

You say in your profile that you're an A340 Captain - I think I speak for most in saying we'd all be greatful for a run down of your 'average day' if you can spare the time. Can you spare the time in your hectic schedule or do you not have a hectic schedule - you see these are the sort of things us wannabes don't know unless you guys up front tell us through forums like these.

Good on ya mpala. A good set of questions, neatly laid out and forming an interesting thread IMHO.

Thanks to Fat Dog and Reddo. Also top marks to Training Risky who goes beyond the call of duty to help those contemplating the military route. Thumbs up!

VFE.

Last edited by VFE; 4th Dec 2002 at 07:40.
Old 4th Dec 2002, 10:45

Millerscourt - I think you missed the point of the question. It is not about whether to be a pilot or not, it's about finding out more about the job itself. Which job you might ask. Well, how about yours. Give us a little bit of insider info into what to look forward too, or what to look out for. There is absolutely no doubt that I would rather be a professional pilot. I'm sitting in an office because this is the best way for me to get the dosh to pay for training. Redsnail gave us a good insight into various types of professional flying. How about you tell us what's it like being a A340 Captain.

D
Old 4th Dec 2002, 11:50

Cool

1) PPL student age 21 - wow factor, I'm flying !

2) Lots of flying in US - fun + sense of freedom.

3) Flying instructor for 3 years - being paid to fly - great.

4) First airline job - regional turbo prop (Leeds) - all new again with novoltey factor, lots of 'hand on' visual stuff - learnt a lot and enjoyed immensly.

5) First commercial Jet - @ STN, all new yet again, but still just an aeroplane that goes faster ! Lots of electronic 'game boys' and buttons to push - less hands on, more routes, lots of sectors, more system management .... Did for 6 years, but never got bored.

6) Big airline, bigger Jet, biggest airport - My pre-conceptions were wrong to go 'big' - very impersonal, rarley know people I fly with, lots of hassle/delays/slots/pax's late, every turnaround is hassle - much rarley fly the a/c - even more system mangement. Don't enjoy going to work, dream about a regional turbo-prop command - start instructing part time - and buy a share in an aerobatic light a/c - realise flying can still be fun !

Pushing shinney leavers is still a good way of earning a living, but make no bones about it -if youre a 'purest' flying person you will never really enjoy it - go for the regional smaller type of operation.
I dream about one day flying a sea plane around the barrier reef for a living ........ but its catch 22, get paid a lot of dosh and have good pension in airline world, they do 'look after me' and its reasonably secure, feel locked in - life could be worse !!!!
Old 4th Dec 2002, 12:02

mpala

This question has come up a few times in the past, and a few of us (including myself, WWW, Pilot Pete and others) have given comprehensive descriptions of our jobs and lifestyles.

Inevitably, it's actually very difficult to describe what the job would feel like to someone else because we don't know what your day-to-day priorities are. For instance, I have two young children. The knock-on effects of a delay, or a standby call-out, to my access to them can have a disproportionate effect on the way I feel about my job. Individual managers and their abilities (or lack thereof) can also have an enormous effect on how you see your job on any given day - just like in your life.

In fact, many of the niggles, distractions and dissatisfactions with our jobs are exactly the same as those you suffer. For most of us, the compensation is getting in the aeroplane, having a great view, and regaining a degree of control over your own destiny for a while!

For what it's worth, I fly A340s for Virgin. I fly about three or four times a month to various long-haul destinations - Shanghai, Cape Town and Los Angeles are typical examples. Each sector is in the order of 11 or more hours and so we tend to carry three pilots. This means that landings are few and far between - one a month is common. This is the main reason that we insist on new hires having a lot of experience, as you won't get much practice once you're with us!

Much of the flying I do is boring, and the increased security levels we now have mean that we have fewer people to talk to than hitherto! Occasionally, challenging weather or aircraft problems raise the interest level somewhat, but it's probably fair to say that you don't want to be doing my job if you still hanker to feel the aeroplane under your hands and feet - this job is for those who've been there, done that, got the T-shirt and now offer all that experience in the pursuit of ultimate safety for the travelling public - and a reasonable pay and retirement package!

Are there other jobs I'd like to do? You bet, but my family's security is now my priority and so I'll leave those to others. I'm lucky; I've done most of the things I wanted to do when I was young, so now I'll stick with what I know. But, when the kids have grown up (and I'll have retired from commercial flying by then), who knows? Maybe I'll start an IT company!
Old 4th Dec 2002, 12:04

training risky-Great advice on the military stuff. I couldn't agree more. The RAF is a way of life, not just a job. Even in the UAS, we'd fly for an hour of the day and spend the rest of it doing secondary duties (plural!). Those guys who flew a sortie then dissapeared home were soon chopped.

Anyway, it really is important that us wannabe truckie pilots get all the inside info we need. And who better to get it off than you current truckie pilots who understand the in's and out's?
Old 4th Dec 2002, 13:36

Millerscourt- Not sure about your logic, only a fool would enter a new profession without being armed with as much inside knowledge as possible, believe me I've worked in other professions that with hindsight I wish I'd learnt more about first.

I'm one of the lucky few who has landed a job post 9/11. I qualified at the beginning of this year and am now working for a charter operator on turbo props.
What's it like? Fantastic!! Yes it's hard work with unsociable hours (I can think of better places to be than doing a walk round at 3am in foul weather), however I get alot of hands-on flying to a variety of destinations and it goes without saying that the views are incredible! Maybe I'm still at the rose tinted spectacles stage but I still can't help but smile to myself when we're in the cruise knowing I'm getting paid for doing my dream job.