PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The truth about being a commercial pilot
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2002, 13:59
Training Risky

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
If I may I'll add my 2 pence worth now. I know it's off topic and I apologise, as this is happening more and more on Pprune, (and I'm guilty of it myself).

But to those weighing up commercial flying against military flying, I would suggest only applying for the latter if you are 110% committed to being an officer/SNCO/NCO in HM Forces.

I feel my comments are relevant because those people who are realising that an fATPL is enormously expensive may consider applying for the military instead.

The flying is great, the people on the shopfloor and the lower management are all great, and the pay is not bad.

But...

You spend more time away from home/friends/family than if with an airline, and it's not all flying. Secondary duties on the ground form a large part of our lives.

Bear in mind also that you can spend 3 years training to fly helicopters when you never wanted to, get chopped for low-level nav, and that's your lot! The RAF does not need any more multi-engine pilots for the time being! It needs fast-jet and helicopter pilots, that's where the holes in the front line are.

Good luck for all those who apply though.