PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The truth about being a commercial pilot
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2002, 22:22
mpala

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truth about being a commercial pilot

I thought I might start this forum for the benefit of the users, who like me, are doing an office job and dream of being a commercial pilot ...

If there are any real commercial pilots on this forum, can you please respond to this thread explaining what life is really like as a pilot. The following questions are a guide :

1). What sort of pilot are you ? airline, cargo, flying instructor ?

2). If airline, then do you work short/long haul for a traditional/budget/charter airline ?

3). How does flying integrate with your life-style ?

4). Given that most users on this forum would give everything up to be in your shoes, how do you feel about this ? Do you think they are seeing pilots jobs for what they really are, or are they seriously misguided ? What would you say to them ?

5). Is there a job you aspire in the same way as us "wannabe's" aspire to your job ?

6). For those who work for a budget carrier, what is it like compared with working for a traditional carrier ?

7). Some people compare airline pilots with train/bus/taxi drivers. Does the job feel like one of these ?

8). Does the job ever get boring (apart from long haul flights) ? Do you feel you're doing something new every day ? or is it monotonous ?

9). Finally, If you work for a Cargo Carrier, then what is it like ?