Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Naval Pilot Selection Advice Please!

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Naval Pilot Selection Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10th Mar 2004, 21:27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Naval Pilot Selection Advice Please!

oh god its him again.......

Hi guys,

First off I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my last post. It gave me a lot of food for thought about which of the services would suit me best and how to go about making myself a more ideal candidate for selection. I decided to start this new post to attract FAA pilots.

I have decided to give it my all to become an officer pilot with the Fleet Air Arm. All things considered, I don't want to be behind a desk after a few years and in my opinion the Navy comes out top for the variety of flying that they can offer to heli pilots [ducks for cover from AAC and RAF pilots] and for its history. My plan so far is thus:

Read up all I can regarding the Navy, stay abreast of current affairs, and enhance my leadership skills. I've bought the Oxford Illustrated History of the Royal Navy, a book called "men against fire - a history of battle command" - this might be a little OTT but it was cheap and may be useful somewhere along the line. I've also blagged a place on a leadership course with work and am borrowing a book about the history of the FAA. I can also get a full medical and fitness check at work to see where I need to improve physically.
Visit Naval stations and squadrons. I have the contact details of Yeovilton's CRO and will be making contact as soon as i know how much time I can get off work in the next month. As Somerset is a bit of a mission from here oop north, I was hoping to visit Yeovilton in the afternoon and either Devonport or Portsmouth in the morning to make a full day of it. Is it possible to get a look around either of these two and can anyone give me a contact no.?
I was also going to sit the GAPAN tests [similar to the RAF's pilot aptitude tests that give you a rating on how suitable you are to become a pilot]. Do you think this is worth having? Its certainly a lot cheaper than a half hours pleasure flight in an R22 and will at least give me an indication if i'm kidding myself.
Get fit!!!!!

Once I have done a bit of reading and looked round the bases/asked the CRO questions, I am going to go to Manchester's recruitment office to start the ball rolling.

As I mentioned in my other post, I believe my main weakness lies in that I am 23 and even though my main ambition is to become a pilot, I have taken until now to express military interest. For those of you who didn't read my last post, I have only 3 years as an air cadet as a military background and gave that up when I started sixth form. There was an RAF UAS squadron at my university [Manchester] but I didn't attend as my course was quite intensive and I worked evenings and weekends to pay my way through uni as I had no parental support. As far as I am aware, there was no Naval equivalent of the UAS at Manchester. My coursemate was sponsored by the Navy at sixth form and didn't attend anything at uni either.
How much do the Navy rely on a history of interest when selecting pilots? How do I get around it? My career choices so far have been dictated by my financial circumstances [i.e. I was crippled with debt on graduating and took my first firm job offer] and to some extent by family matters [mother's serious illness]. I can explain my choices on these terms but I reckon they'd still have me on not applying when I came out of uni. If there turns out to be a Naval Cadet thing in Manchester then I'm doubly screwed.
How far will I get with honesty regarding this? I.e. I've only been giving it serious thought recently as I've discovered how unchallenging and uninspiring a career in industry is turning out to be? I can honestly admit that I'm not in it for the cheap ATPL and would give anything to be flying the kind of missions you guys do [I mean I could be a civvie heli instructor or charter pilot, or be flying low level NVG with a helo full of marines. no contest!].
I understand that there are literally thousand s of people in my situation with the same end goal. If I pass officer selection and am chopped from a flying course for not meeting the standard then, although I would be kicking myself for not working harder, I could understand it. Not getting to that point in the first place would be gutting.
I know I have a habit of rambling on, but please tell it to me straight and give me some honest advice. Anything you can tell me that may help is most gratefully received. My last thread led me to research areas that I would have never have thought of, and am no doubt confident that this one will too. I would be particularly interested from hearing of from FAA pilots who were once in a similar situation to mine, and how they managed get through the selection process.

Lastly, any idea of the no. of pilots recruited each year and a rough estimate of applicant numbers??

Thanks again guys, if you want to contact me directly PM me and i'll give you my email address.

Phil.
Old 10th Mar 2004, 21:52

Mate just apply!
They let me in.
Old 10th Mar 2004, 22:59

You'll have to go to Cranwell to do the aptitude tests anyway, so apart from giving you some practice at them, I can't see how paying for the GAPAN tests would help.

If you're trying to show a commitment/passion towards aviation, I would have thought that paying for a trial lesson on a light fixed wing aircraft would be a better bet. If you like the lesson, then talking about it in subsequent interviews will be a useful way to get across your passion for aviation. I had a fixed grin on my face for days after my first flight

Just be honest about it being a recent interest, dont get too hung up about not joining straight from uni nor applying for sponsorship. The Navy did run a whole recruitment program a few years back with pictures of pizza delivery boys/warehouse stackers/bus conductors saying that they would have been harrier pilots/missile loaders/warfare officers in the Navy, so your comments about industry may strike a chord with your interviewer. Just be honest about it as they will spot bullsh!t a mile off.

Dont get hung up on the number of applicants you are up against, somebody has to get the job and there is no reason why that cant be you.

Good luck with it, I hope it works out.
Old 11th Mar 2004, 01:17

Talking

For you the news is good and bad! The Flying Training Officer in charge of all potential aircrew at the Naval College is a friend of mine. E-mail me your details and I will get him to give you the low down. He's a good bloke and will help you out.
Old 11th Mar 2004, 03:26

i have had trial flights in the last year - one free of charge from a friend of a friend who let me fly her cessna from a private strip to south wales and back [minus taking off and landing]. that was fantastic and was grinning from ear to ear all the next day and beyond. i had a half hour flight in a jetranger as a kid, which has stuck with me all this time, but don't fancy paying the silly prices they charge for a pleasure trip in a heli these days.

I remember the recent ads and hope they ring true.

cobalt frog: a pm is on its way

phil
Old 11th Mar 2004, 04:25

They let me in too!!

Main points to think about:

Apply to all 3 services, but don't tell each of them that. You may fail AIB but pass OASC.

Age 23 is not too old, so long as you can start at RAF Crabwell before your 24th birthday. RN age limit is to start before 26th birthday. Army, I believe is even higher.

Learn about the RN/FAA etc, but it's only a small part of AIB.

Late decision in life to join the military does not matter.

No point doing GAPAN tests, you'll only have to redo them anyway.

About 6 to 8 pilots starting at BRNC 6 times a year. Lots more in the crabs........DO NOT WORRY ABOUT NUMBERS APPLYING VERSUS NUMBER OF PLACES... ...if they like you, you'll get a job....if they don't.......

Physical fitness is good, when I did AIB it wasn't tested, however the 'bleep' test will be introduced soon. (OASC carries out the bleep test)

If you can, get on a 'Royal Navy Potential Officers Acquaint Visit'. This can be arranged via your careers liaison officer. They are popular and it may take a few months to get on one. Even the fishhead 'Warfare' acquaint will give you a lot of good info.

If I was you....... I would apply for the RAF immediately, before you are too old (better to be a crab than civvy). See how OASC goes. If you fail, your careers liaison officer will tell you why. If it's a general 'character' issue, such as leadership, join the Territorial Army. The general military training will really improve the strength/calibre of your character (did for me anyway, in a very short period of time). If you pass OASC try to get to AIB before starting with the RAF, as the FAA is by far the better place to be. I'm obviously not biased

Good luck ahead, remember, if you don't ask you don't get!!

F
Old 11th Mar 2004, 16:24

mate

just apply. i'm in the navy fast jet pipeline at the mo, and it would seem the crabs are having snags with too many numbers and not enough places to fill so even those who pass courses are being scrutinised. if they are low average they may still be chopped despite passing the course thus filling the light blue rotary and ME slots.

best advice i got when going for aib was be myself and don't try to bulls**t the board. they'll see right through you. but don't forget the guys who usher you between interview stages at the aib are also consulted at the decision making! also your age is not against you, many of the guys i joined with were in their mid twenties.

best of luck
Old 12th Mar 2004, 06:34

Talking

and learn to swim........
Old 12th Mar 2004, 07:00

and to swallow

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced
Old 14th Mar 2004, 19:36

dude, i first applied to the RAF in 1981 and they wanted me to fly fast jets (sorry i'm not that quick) , then i went to the army and they said i had to dig trenches for 2 years before i could start flying training. so i went to the navy who graciously gave me a job, now i'm a squadron CO. as the guy previously said just apply. if i can do it anyone can
Old 14th Mar 2004, 20:49

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Presumably you normally rely upon a secretary to correct your written English?
Old 15th Mar 2004, 09:53

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Beagle
No secretary needed, I think it's called nautical English.
Old 19th Mar 2004, 04:48

Don't waste time! I did, and joined BRNC at the age of 25. By the time I realised I wasn't, I was, too old if you get my drift. I tried to transfer to WAFU (aircrew) but they wouldn't let me

So I navigated warships for 6 years (no I've never been anywhere near that feckin rock off Australia...) and decided to bin it because a Warfare Officer's career progression is dull and involves pandering to ex-squadron COs who think they can navigate ships when they're awarded their command for not singing the party line out of tune ...sorry Merlinboy.

Hence nearly finished civvy ATPL and looking forward to the back of the dole queue (Ra,you cynical twot!)

Anyways, go for it, your action plan will prepare you for the AIB which is straight forward enough. Military life definately a tick in the box for a young chap or chapess and all the WAFUs I knew and who still fly in the Andrew are a cracking bunch (don't let them on the bridge tho, it'll take them hrs to find their way back to their bunks...)
Old 19th Mar 2004, 09:12
nickyg

Read the week mag for current affairs

Old 20th Mar 2004, 09:42

Someone suggested apply to all three but don't tell

- Don't, or at least if you do, tell them and have a particularly cunning answer as to why.

They WILL find out. Back in 87, I was quite worried about how much they DID know about me at OASC.
Old 20th Mar 2004, 18:26

I had only planned to apply to the navy anyway as my local AFCO deals with all 3 services so I reckoned they would find out pretty quickly. With a weak military background, I think that showing commitment to only one service will be in my favour [i hope!]. If they knock be back I can suffer another year at my desk job whilst working on my areas of weakness.

I went down to the AFCO last week but, as I didn't have an appointment, there was noone available to talk to me. I got the preliminary application forms through this morning and will be sending them back next week. I can't see any problem in getting an interview so the ball is now rolling. Have been reading up on all things Naval and am in the process of arranging a visit to Yeovilton. No doubt I'll let you know how I progress and be asking your opinions on a few things.

P.S. For pilot selection, do they send you to Cranwell after successfully getting through the AIB, or before? Also, do you reckon its worth my while helping out at as a Sea Cadet civilian instructor?

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 20th Mar 2004, 19:37

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe......

You'd be better of joining the RNR - not sure which unit is neaest to you. Or possibly the TA or other Reserve Forces.

Being a Reservist will give you more of an insight into things and the training will make subsequent RN training seem easier as you will of got some experience of the basics. And of course it shows commitment.

Hopefully you should be able to get some CW training to help you prepare for the AIB.

RNR

A quick tour of the RN website (www.royal-navy.mod.uk) should help you brush up your knowledge, as will going to www.rnreference.mod.uk and looking at the Rolling Brief.