PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naval Pilot Selection Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 04:25
Feneris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They let me in too!!

Main points to think about:

Apply to all 3 services, but don't tell each of them that. You may fail AIB but pass OASC.

Age 23 is not too old, so long as you can start at RAF Crabwell before your 24th birthday. RN age limit is to start before 26th birthday. Army, I believe is even higher.

Learn about the RN/FAA etc, but it's only a small part of AIB.

Late decision in life to join the military does not matter.

No point doing GAPAN tests, you'll only have to redo them anyway.

About 6 to 8 pilots starting at BRNC 6 times a year. Lots more in the crabs........DO NOT WORRY ABOUT NUMBERS APPLYING VERSUS NUMBER OF PLACES... ...if they like you, you'll get a job....if they don't.......

Physical fitness is good, when I did AIB it wasn't tested, however the 'bleep' test will be introduced soon. (OASC carries out the bleep test)

If you can, get on a 'Royal Navy Potential Officers Acquaint Visit'. This can be arranged via your careers liaison officer. They are popular and it may take a few months to get on one. Even the fishhead 'Warfare' acquaint will give you a lot of good info.

If I was you....... I would apply for the RAF immediately, before you are too old (better to be a crab than civvy). See how OASC goes. If you fail, your careers liaison officer will tell you why. If it's a general 'character' issue, such as leadership, join the Territorial Army. The general military training will really improve the strength/calibre of your character (did for me anyway, in a very short period of time). If you pass OASC try to get to AIB before starting with the RAF, as the FAA is by far the better place to be. I'm obviously not biased

Good luck ahead, remember, if you don't ask you don't get!!

F