Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Jetstar T & C's - Facts and Questions

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Jetstar T & C's - Facts and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 8th Mar 2008, 10:47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetstar T & Cs - Just the Facts

Base Salary

Narrow Body

Junior FO $52,271 ($55,407.26 with retention bonus included)
FO initial 12 months $79,857 ($84,648.42 with retention bonus included)
FO after 12 months up to 5th year $87,117 ($92,344.02 with retention bonus included)
FO after 5th year $94,377 ($100,039.62 with retention bonus included)
Captain $145,195 ($153,906.70 with retention bonus included)

Wide Body

Junior FO $59,588 ($63,163.28 with retention bonus included)
FO initial 12 months $91,038 ($96,500.28 with retention bonus included)
FO after 12 months up to 5th year $99,314 ($105272.84 with retention bonus included)
FO after 5th year $107,589 ($114,044.34 with retention bonus included)
Captain $165,523 ($175,454.38 with retention bonus included)

A Junior FO is defined as a pilot who has insufficient experience to qualify for an ATPL.

A pilot undergoing command upgrade is paid at the appropriate FO rate until achieving Checked to Line status.

Superannuation

At the rates prescribed by the federal superannuation legislation.

Retention Scheme

Pilots successfully checked to line and employed by Jetstar on anniversary dates (1st, 3rd and 5th year anniversary of EBA 2008) receive a 6% retention payment. Superannuation contributions will be paid on the Retention amount. For convenience, the retention bonus has been annualised and included in the figures given above, but it is only paid as a lump sum at the 1st, 3rd and 5th year anniversary dates.

Company Performance Bonus

FOs with more than 3 years service, and all Captains, are eligible for a Company Performance Bonus on 1 April each year, which is dependent upon Jetstar Performance KPIs and the Qantas Performance Factor under the Qantas Executive Cash Plan. Superannuation contributions will be paid on the Bonus amount.

Overtime

Paid for each credit hour in excess of 75 hours in a roster period (30 or 31 days depending upon the month) at the rate of annual salary divided by 787. Overtime is included when calculating payments under the Retention scheme and the Company Performance Bonus, and superannuation contributions are paid on overtime payments.

Credit hours are 1:1 with flight hours; 3.6 hours for each Mon-Fri leave day, 0 for Sat-Sun leave days; 5.5 hours for sim duties, recurrent emergency procedures and security training; 3.6 hours for other ground duties; 50% of positioning travel.

Narrow Body Overtime per Hour

Junior FO $66.42 ($70.40 with retention bonus included)
FO initial 12 months $101.47 ($107.56 with retention bonus included)
FO after 12 months up to 5th year $110.70 ($117.34 with retention bonus included)
FO after 5th year $119.92 ($127.12 with retention bonus included)
Captain $184.49 ($195.56 with retention bonus included)

Wide Body Overtime per Hour

Junior FO $75.72 ($80.26 with retention bonus included)
FO initial 12 months $115.68 ($122.62 with retention bonus included)
FO after 12 months up to 5th year $126.19 ($133.76 with retention bonus included)
FO after 5th year $136.71 ($144.91 with retention bonus included)
Captain $210.32 ($222.94 with retention bonus included)

Working on Day Off

Working on a day off is paid at a rate equal to the overtime rate, with a minimum payment equivalent to 3.4 hours at the overtime rate; plus a further payment equivalent to 3.4 hours at the overtime rate. Another day off is not given.

Example: Working 1 hour on a day off results in a payment of 6.8 hours at the overtime rate.

Example: Working 10 hours on a day off results in a payment of 13.4 hours at the overtime rate.

Check and Training

Level 1 8.5%
Level 2 (Check A) 12%
Level 3 (Check B) 18%
Other secondary duties or Regional Base Captain 6%

Annual Increment

Annual salary increases 3% each year on 1 Jan up to and including 1 Jan 2012. For the last two years, this increment may be increased depending upon inflation. Should the underlying annual CPI as at Dec 2010 exceed 3% then the increment on 1 Jan 2011 will be the same as the CPI figure up to a maximum of 4%. A similar arrangement occurs for the increase on 1 Jan 2012.

Allowances

$117.65 (Group A)
$97.25 (Group B Capital and High Cost Cities)
$89.75 (Group B CNS and others)

Per 24 hours within Australia depending upon location. Overseas the amounts are varied by the cost of living index for the destination concerned. Groups A and B will be determined with reference to the ATO Taxation Determination each FY.

Training

Initial rating $36,000
Command upgrade of previously endorsed aircraft $15,000
Recurrency training of previously endorsed aircraft $10,000

Conversion and upgrade rights are limited to one upgrade to widebody and one command training opportunity, except that movement from a narrow body or A330 to the B787 will be subject to a training bond. Any other conversions or transfers at the request of the pilot will be charged to the pilot at the rates given above.

Transfers, at the company's or the pilot's request, from the A320 or the A330 to the B787, or from the A330 to the A320, or from a Captain position to a lower position, will all incur a training bond.

This means that in the event of a reduction in the A330 fleet, if a pilot wishes to bid to the narrow body fleet instead of the B787 this will be subject to a bond. If the pilot transfers to the B787 this will also be subject to a bond.

A training bond has a term no greater than 36 months. In the event of a resignation or termination the pilot may be required to pay the amount stated.

Direct Entry Commands

There are provisions to allow a direct entry Captain to remain as a Captain out of seniority for "normally not to exceed" 5 years.

There are provisions to allow Qantas pilots to enter on ghosted seniority numbers. These numbers are such that, at present, Qantas pilots would come in immediately, or within a few months, as Captains (usually on the A330).

Annual Leave, Monthly Days Off and Standby Days

Annual leave 6 weeks

Days off minimum 10 in each of six roster periods, and 11 in each of the remaining six roster periods. An additional 6 days off will be rostered each calender year allocated according to the business cycle. A roster period is either 30 or 31 days long depending upon the month.

Standby days are a maximum of 4 per roster period when rostered up to 75 credit hours; maximum 3 when rostered >75 and up to 90 credit hours; maximum 2 when rostered >90 and up to 100 credit hours; and 0 when rostered >100 credit hours.

Resignation Notice

2 months

Application of the Agreement

This Agreement operates to the exclusion of any Awards, industrial agreements, State Awards or State employment agreements, orders of industrial commissions, or State or Territory laws that might otherwise apply to the Employees' employment save that it does not exclude State or Territory laws dealing with: occupational health and safety; workers compensation; training arrangements; discrimination and/or equal opportunity employment.

'Protected award conditions' within the meaning of the Act, are excluded from the operation of this Agreement. Protected award conditions are provisions in any Award, which might otherwise apply to pilots' employment, that relate to the following matters: rest breaks, incentive based payments and bonuses, annual leave loadings, public holidays and days in substitution thereof, monetary allowances, overtime and shift loadings, penalty rates, and other matters prescribed by the Act.

Copies of the Agreement

Copies of the Agreement will likely be published on an Australian Government website once the Agreement comes into effect. If someone could let me know where, I'll include a link here - or you could Google it.

Disclaimer

This is necessarily an abridged version of a 44 page document. All amounts are factual, but some amounts may have been combined to assist legibility and brevity. For example, allowances in the EBA are divided into amounts for breakfast, lunch, dinner and overnight, whereas only the total has been quoted above.

Not in the Agreement but Answers to Some Other Questions

Important: These are not in the Agreement so may be subject to change. They are still factual, as far as I know.

You are expected to join with a valid aircraft rating (at the moment A320, sometimes A330). This is done at your own expense in your own time. Supposedly some have been able to join with no rating and pay it back to Jetstar over time, but I have no knowledge of this.

Narrow body basings are in SYD, MEL, AVV, NTL, SEQ (south-east QLD, expected to operate from both OOL and BNE), CNS, ADL, HBA, CHC (Christchurch). PER is supposed to start up soon as a narrow body basing - no details. Widebody basings are SYD and MEL.

Dear PPRuNers

Please only reply with factual errors to the above. I will edit this post in response to any factual errors to keep it up to date. For comments, discussions, requests, rebuttals and rumours, please start a new topic or continue an old one. That way this thread will stay as a constant information resource for all Oz pilots.

Note that I do not have the time to answer questions outside the scope of this Agreement. That includes questions on speculations about the B787, future basings, time to upgrade, etc. The Agreement will last 5 years so this thread is about that only.

An equivalent resource from a Virgin Blue, Virgin Oz, Tiger or Qantas pilot would be warmly welcomed by all, I am sure.

BeerBaron

Last edited by BeerBaron; 9th Mar 2008 at 09:56. Reason: Edited Training to clarify bonding. Added Direct Entry Commands, Applicability and Not in the Agreement sections.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 12:40

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
BB

That must have taken a while. Thankyou for you input.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 13:52

Question Jetstar T & C's - Facts and Questions

BeerBaron,

Thanks very much for your highly informative post re J* T & C's.

I'm certain it took a lot of work but will be highly appreciated by many Pruners considering J* as a career option.

I have a few questions which hopefully you can address:

1. Is the full 44 page document available for general consumption?

2. With reference training costs: If somebody were to join the company with a command A320 endorsement that hadn't been used for say 5 years, I assume they would be required to pay the recurrency training cost of $10,000. When upgrade time came around would they then be required to cough up a further $15000 for "Command upgrade of previously endorsed aircraft"?
(Please viewers lets not get into the same old argument re the desirability of paying for endorsements. )

3. What is the current expected time time to upgrade with previous 320 command time?

4. Where are the present widebody bases?

5. Any heads-up on likely 787 bases?

6. Any news on start dates for the PER base?

Any info you can give on the above would be much appreciated.

Rgds,
Soupy.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 14:17

I have merged the two threads for sanity sake...mod sanity that is.

It is not the sort of thread we generally sticky. If there is enough interest, which I am sure there will be, it will stay on page one long enough.

Play nice kiddies!!!

MA

Nope that'd be a typo

A freudian slip is when you tell your spouse he/she has ruined your entire life when you meant to say "happy anniversary darling"
Old 8th Mar 2008, 14:20

Great Info Thanks! Maybe its time to move from the land of Hype and Glory back home to Gods Own.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 14:22

Much Ado,

"Pay nice kiddies"?

Could that be a freudian slip?
Old 8th Mar 2008, 20:57

BeerBaron this is a fantastic post. Probably the mot informative I've seen on Pprune.

It would be even better if someone from the rival companies would do the equivalent so we could compare apples with apples.

Moderators
It would also be good if this could be a free standing thread dedicated to questions and constructive answers only.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 22:00
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"oooh, oooh, pick me I have a question" (raises hand)

"What is the criteria for a Junior F/O on the narrow body fleet"?

Second question if I may, have the wages for new hires effectively 'dropped'?
Old 9th Mar 2008, 05:31

More Questions ...

BB,

Thanks for the heads up on remuneration.

Maybe not your area of expertise, but I'm wondering about the industrial situation re "FO immediate upgrade to Captain for 5 years" type contracts.

Have these been officially sanctioned by the J* Pilot body, or is Alan Joyce pulling a swifty?

Additionally, I understand it is an AWA - these will soon be history, so where would that leave someone who graciously accepts one of these? And from what I've heard, the AWA figures are somewhat at variance with yours.

Any FACTS would be appreciated, as I don't want to tread on anyone's toes, or walk into a contractual ambush.

Karrupted.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:03

Answers for Soup Dragon

Dear SD, I have included answers to most of your questions by editing the original post - thanks for asking. Other answers are:

2. I suggest you talk to CASA or Jetstar about what you require to do to renew or otherwise validate your rating before joining Jetstar. Once in Jetstar, you get one transfer of aircraft type and one command free of charge, after that, as described in the first post.

3. Can't really speculate, too many variables, especially with direct entry Captains involved. It also depends upon who you know (AN is a help here) and how much experience you have. Pick a number between 1 and 10 years. If you have no jet time and little total time, you'll be bypassed.

5 & 6 No!
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:06

Answers for Howard Hughes

1. Don't know

2. Edited: FO wages for new hires have not dropped from the previous Agreement; they have increased by $68.82 pa (ie virtually the same). See this post for the details.

Last edited by BeerBaron; 13th Mar 2008 at 03:48. Reason: Changed answer to Q2
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:11

Answers for Karrupted

1. What industrial situation? It's in the Agreement (see edited first post). I think that answers your question ... ?

2. Voted in by a small majority on second go around, after allowing pilots outside the previous Agreement to vote as well.

3. I have written the Application of the Agreement in full in the first post, so you can see for yourself if it is an AWA or otherwise; I am no expert on these matters.

4. If you know of different T & Cs for other Jetstar pilots, by all means share your info; this thread is about the Agreement recently signed between Jetstar and the pilot body.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:12
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thnaks Mr Baron!
Old 9th Mar 2008, 10:14

Soupy I replied to your post but it's being vetted by a moderator ...? Not sure why. If it doesn't turn up in 24 hours or so I'll repost. Must go - BB
Old 9th Mar 2008, 12:44

BB,

Thanks mate. Lookin forward to your words of wisdom.

Edit: Alternatively, if your post is too contentious for the mods, any info in a PM would be great.

Thanks

Soup Dragon

Last edited by Soup Dragon; 9th Mar 2008 at 15:23.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 15:29

BB,

I see the mods have now allowed your post.

Thanks again for th info, most informative.

SD
Old 11th Mar 2008, 00:58

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
back to the top
Old 11th Mar 2008, 14:39

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Back to the top again cos although Condition Lever can fly a 330 he can't find the details of the EBA.
Old 11th Mar 2008, 16:10

Karrupted,

Maybe not your area of expertise, but I'm wondering about the industrial situation re "FO immediate upgrade to Captain for 5 years" type contracts.

Have these been officially sanctioned by the J* Pilot body, or is Alan Joyce pulling a swifty?
Yes it is in the Agreement. AJ is not puilling a swifty.

Additionally, I understand it is an AWA - these will soon be history, so where would that leave someone who graciously accepts one of these? And from what I've heard, the AWA figures are somewhat at variance with yours. Incorrect. Not an AWA. It is a Union collective agreement. An EBA endorsed by the AFAP who is a signatory to it. All pilots who were employed under an AWA have/or had the choice of going onto this collective agreement.

Also to correct a small point BB made. New FOs do not get paid less they than current FOs at this point. They will get a lower percentage, 55% of a Captains pay, instead of 60% but only for the first twelve months when it rises to the 60% figure. It is slightly more in dollar terms, than 60% was before the new agreement. Additionally in the event a new FO is not offerred a command within 3 years the performance bonus kicks in and if still not after 5 years then rate rises to 65% of captain pay.

As the agreement has been lodged with the Authority it will be on public record and should be available for perusal on the website as is any other agreement.
Old 13th Mar 2008, 03:44

TurbTool,

Thanks for correcting my error. You are correct, new hire FOs are paid more in $ terms than under previous EBA, when retention bonus is included. Figures are:

FO under previous EBA $84,579.60 (narrow body)
New hire FO under new Agreement $84,648.42 (narrow body) (with retention bonus included)

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.