Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!

Wikiposts
Search
Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14th Jan 2007, 03:21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!

To be honest, I never thought I would see this happen so soon.

I am not talking about planes sitting on the ground due to lack of pilots in general, but due to the lack of pilots able to fly in command.

This however has not made itself evident within the lager companies to any great extent – yet, but it can be seen everyday now at the regional turbo-prop level.

Here is some recent evidence below from the ‘jobs’ section of the AFAP website (I am only using Pel-Air as an example of a wider trend):
PEL-AIR
Air Crew
Pel-Air is a charter operator with bases in Cairns, Mackay, Rockhampton, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Darwin. We operate Westwind Freighters and Executive jets, Metro 111 freighters and Metro 23 Passenger aircraft as well as a Brasilia EMB120 freighter.
We are looking for Captains and First Officers for bases across the country with current instrument ratings, medicals and dangerous goods.
Captain Turbine
Total Time 2500 hours
Command 1000 hours
Multi Com 500 hours
Have a look at the direct entry Capt requirements.

Now have a look at a similar add from a few months earlier.
METRO III & 23 CAPTAINS
CAIRNS BASED PEL - AIR
Pel-Air Express is a night freight operator with bases across Australia. We seek a team person with skills in team building and networking as well as leadership and negotiating skills.
Requirements:
• 3000 hrs Total
• 1500 hrs Multi-Command
• 500 hrs Turbine
• ATPL
Must have current Command Instrument Rating, Medical and Dangerous Goods. Instructional background or Check and Training experience essential. Preference will be given to Metro 3 & 23 endorsed Captains.
Haven’t Jetcraft and Skippers lost about half a dozen Metro Captains each recently? Oh well.

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen, NOW is the time to open your eyes and see the change in the balance of power. Once everyone realises that we are now an essential commodity rather than dispensable pawns – we can really do some damage……….or in the interest of both partes……….finally get paid what we deserve.

This will filter up the chain eventually. The good news is that due to the inbred reactive management practices at the regional level the hole in the experience level will hit hard. Planes will sit on the ground and contracts will be lost. In order to retain what little experience is left – the pays must go up.
Too little too late for some operators though.

The landscape is changing for the better. The answer is Unity . A very encouraging thread.

Instead of a few sticking their neck out – let us raise the bar together. Also remember, an AWA swings both ways – who has the upper hand now?
Old 14th Jan 2007, 03:48
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring it on I say...
Old 14th Jan 2007, 06:45

Yep yep

I was just about to start a post on this topic before I (luckily!) noticed this one...

The industry has always gone through waves of big hiring, then non-hiring. But I think what we're seeing here is something completely different.

The cost of training and associated taxes (fuel!) has sky-rocketed and the average salary for a pilot has gone down, so smart kids aren't learning how to fly anymore. Instead they're moving into area's of IT where they can make squillions.

Various companies are folding (esp. in the smaller charter company businesses, due to the cost of fuel, insurance, and whatever else) so the chance of developing experienced pilots in Australia is diminishing.

So it's boiled down to what I have noticed on the AFAP website today, and in last weeks Australian. STACKS of jobs... (Did anyone else see the aviation section of the Australian?).

From what I can deduce... if you have anywhere between 100-500 multi command time at the moment, you are looking pretty good for a decent basing on piston/turboprop twins. Eventually these operators will be lowering the multi minimum to nothing, as there will be absolutely no-one with the experience. And to keep people in these jobs (even if for a little bit longer) they are going to have to up the pay, as mentioned earlier.

Smile guys and girls. Times are changing. You are going to be in demand soon.

Old 14th Jan 2007, 08:24

About time...!!!

'Twill be nice to see some operators shelling out the dollars the guys and girls deserve, and having to change their stingy ways...

The part that worries me is the decline in safety that might accompany the hiring of less experienced pilots than usual... nothing against newbies but you can't argue that experience is a great help in the kind of flying these guys and girls will do...

And yes, there has been a mass exodus from those (and more) operators over the last months... maybe now the people running these outfits will wake up and smell the coffee.... but as was said, it's too little too late. Losing those contracts is really going to hurt!!! I just feel sorry for the people on the lower end of the pay scale who will feel it most, I couldn't care less about the Scrooges in management...
Old 14th Jan 2007, 09:09

I know five king air spots are coming up with Pearl at a remote base over the next couple of months. And required experience is coming down you would not get a king air job five years ago under 3500hrs now it is common to hire guys with less then 2300 hrs and for the company to work a dispo out of the companys they work for.Its possibly the best time ever to fly as i started in 89 and jobs were hard to get.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 09:39

Could also be due to the baby boomer and Vietnam era pilots all reaching retirement age, the rising cost of training could also be having an effect and the reduction of piston twin hours being flown in GA compared to 10 or 15 years ago. I am not seeing a shortage of fresh commercials or guys with 500 to 1000 single though. What ever the reason (like Howard says) "bring it on" !
Old 14th Jan 2007, 11:09

And don't forget: 5 years ago, kids were suddenly forbidden to visit flight-decks, in the interest of "security". That must translate into lower numbers of people inspired to go into the profession. Hell, over here at QF our sons and daughters are forbidden! (and no, on the ground, at the gate, ain't the same....). Thanks to Qantas my two boys (8 and 7 yrs) have never seen the flight-deck and may never see one in their lifetimes. Unsurprisingly, I don't hear them saying, "I wanna be a pilot when I grow up". They're more into computers, and frankly I'll encourage them that way.

Apparently the number of CPL's issued last year in Aus is way down (anyone got the actual numbers?). It's too expensive and fewer people are inspired by the dwindling returns on the investment.

Little wonder that airlines are so enthused about the MPL, what with a lot of imminent retirements (from 1 Jul onwards!) and with new blood drying up.

The next 5 years are possibly very encouraging if you are building heavy jet experience now, and recognize your worth on the world market....
Old 14th Jan 2007, 11:30

Security on airlines is absolutely shocking - not allowing kids to go into the cockpit and have a look is just shocking ( This experience for me as a child is one of the things that made me want to be a pilot ) But the airlines will give you a metal fork on the plane with a plastic knife, in my opinion you could do more damge with this metal fork than a metal knife, and they wont let kids in the cockpit!!!
Old 14th Jan 2007, 12:35

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone know sme info abput Pelair as far as recruting in the next 6 months. What hrs are required realistically for an FO spot(first turbine). Also pay rates and likely basings for newbies. Progression into REX??

I seem to be pretty close to their minimums, about to crack the 2,000 mark and 450 ME and give away the instructing game, has been good but I think 5 years is enough.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 14:41

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know what the conditions are Pel A*r vx REX ?

Interested in both companies and pretty surprised at the lower mins. I saw the 3000 + a few weeks ago. My current gig upgrades captains at 1200 hrs!
Old 14th Jan 2007, 21:22

anyone whose been a freight pilot (and moved on) knows its the best lifestyle you can get
You must be bloody joking...
Old 14th Jan 2007, 22:10

Thanks to Qantas my two boys (8 and 7 yrs) have never seen the flight-deck and may never see one in their lifetimes. Unsurprisingly, I don't hear them saying, "I wanna be a pilot when I grow up". They're more into computers, and frankly I'll encourage them that way.
What a load of cr@p. You can't blame Qantas for enforcing what is world wide practice. And if denying kids access to as flight deck means that there will be a drop in the number of future pilots, it must be some job. Tell me, when did they allow kids into hopsital operating theatres so they could have a look and help them decide to be cardiac, or any other, surgeon? Perhaps the young 'uns now realise that there is little real job satisfaction in flying aircraft and equate a pilot on QF459 to the driver of the 2.52 from Central to Emu Plains.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 22:18

Don Quixote Impersonator

Coming?? It's been with us for at least the last 10 or so years.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 22:36

Students

I've also noticed that on most schools, there are not enough locals taking up flying lessons nowadays. The demand for an aviation career is not as attractive as it used to be. They are now more into finance, computers and others.

From what I've seen on most schools, almost 90% of students are now made up of overseas students/airline cadets.

The bottom flow is now dramatically slowing down and it will sooner if not later affect the top line of future captains.

D6
Old 14th Jan 2007, 22:38

Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ
Anyone know what the conditions are Pel A*r vx REX ?
Interested in both companies and pretty surprised at the lower mins. I saw the 3000 + a few weeks ago. My current gig upgrades captains at 1200 hrs!
From where I am, we have direct entry FO's taken in at 1200 hours on A330s.

D6
Old 14th Jan 2007, 22:44

Mellow out Mr. Lert,
I'm with the Johns family on this one. A cockpit visit on an ancient AN FK27 from BNE to Bundy as a 14 year old, got me hooked. Thirty plus years and 16,000 hours down the track I still think that visit was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 23:22

If you have ever worked night freight, you would understand that 1 year flying clapped out, auto pilotless metros on the back of the clock, drinking instant coffee to stay awake is the equivalent of 2 or 3 as a "normal" human being.
Old 14th Jan 2007, 23:28
Whispering "T" Jet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freighter operations - best job in aviation !

No complaining passengers when you hit turbulence, run late or not at all.
No traffic on the road driving to and from work.
No holding on the ground or in the air due traffic congestion.
No radio congestion, waiting for clearances and pushbacks.
Direct tracking everywhere and speed restrictions always cancelled below 10,000 in CTA.
CTAFs always deserted, except for other freighter brothers.

I can't believe they actually pay us to do it. !!!!!!
Old 15th Jan 2007, 00:49

Originally Posted by Erin Brockovich
Once everyone realises that we are now an essential commodity rather than dispensable pawns – we can ……… finally get paid what we deserve.
....... the pays must go up ....... who has the upper hand now?
Erin I don't necessarily disagree, but allow me to play devil's advocate. Currently there are well documented pilot shortages in India and China. What's to stop them licking that problem with some generously funded, state-driven programs? What's then to stop them keeping the factories turning, and exporting their newly-minted pilots to Australia with sponsored 457 visas?

When push comes to shove won't the government (this govt in particular but I think the ALP too) side with the airlines to keep the payroll neat & tidy?

Hope that's not the case but wouldn't surprise if it came to pass .....
Old 15th Jan 2007, 01:16

Let's not get too worked up over this... A quick peruse of the CASA website tells us that, contrary to good rumour, a relatively healthy 987 Aeroplane CPLs were issued in 2005-06, up from the 800 per year of the previous two years.

Obviously some of those will be cadets jumping into SQ's 777s but that's a fair way from the 150 I had heard around the traps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.