PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2007, 06:45
wrongwayaround

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep yep

I was just about to start a post on this topic before I (luckily!) noticed this one...

The industry has always gone through waves of big hiring, then non-hiring. But I think what we're seeing here is something completely different.

The cost of training and associated taxes (fuel!) has sky-rocketed and the average salary for a pilot has gone down, so smart kids aren't learning how to fly anymore. Instead they're moving into area's of IT where they can make squillions.

Various companies are folding (esp. in the smaller charter company businesses, due to the cost of fuel, insurance, and whatever else) so the chance of developing experienced pilots in Australia is diminishing.

So it's boiled down to what I have noticed on the AFAP website today, and in last weeks Australian. STACKS of jobs... (Did anyone else see the aviation section of the Australian?).

From what I can deduce... if you have anywhere between 100-500 multi command time at the moment, you are looking pretty good for a decent basing on piston/turboprop twins. Eventually these operators will be lowering the multi minimum to nothing, as there will be absolutely no-one with the experience. And to keep people in these jobs (even if for a little bit longer) they are going to have to up the pay, as mentioned earlier.

Smile guys and girls. Times are changing. You are going to be in demand soon.