PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Pilot Shortage is coming!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2007, 11:09
Ron & Edna Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And don't forget: 5 years ago, kids were suddenly forbidden to visit flight-decks, in the interest of "security". That must translate into lower numbers of people inspired to go into the profession. Hell, over here at QF our sons and daughters are forbidden! (and no, on the ground, at the gate, ain't the same....). Thanks to Qantas my two boys (8 and 7 yrs) have never seen the flight-deck and may never see one in their lifetimes. Unsurprisingly, I don't hear them saying, "I wanna be a pilot when I grow up". They're more into computers, and frankly I'll encourage them that way.

Apparently the number of CPL's issued last year in Aus is way down (anyone got the actual numbers?). It's too expensive and fewer people are inspired by the dwindling returns on the investment.

Little wonder that airlines are so enthused about the MPL, what with a lot of imminent retirements (from 1 Jul onwards!) and with new blood drying up.

The next 5 years are possibly very encouraging if you are building heavy jet experience now, and recognize your worth on the world market....