Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Engineers & Technicians
Reload this Page >

Technicians doing baggage handling, BA T4?

Wikiposts
Search
Engineers & Technicians In this day and age of increased CRM and safety awareness, a forum for the guys and girls who keep our a/c serviceable.

Search this Thread

Old 9th Mar 2007, 20:42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't work for BA or anywhere near LHR. However, have had reason recently to act as self loading freight on said airline, arriving back into this country through Terminal 4. Unfortunately, I had the unfortunate experience of a 90 minute wait for my bags, after the aircraft had landed and made it to the gate (already an hour late because of Tech Problems!)

Apart from otherwise disgraceful service from the BA Customer Service Reps (no tannoy announcement explaining delay, actively avoiding passenger questions) what perturbed me most was when I finally did get to speak to a BA Rep, she started saying that there were absolutely no baggage handlers available and they were waiting for the technicians to finish servicing the aircraft so they could unload it (which eventually happened after 70 minutes)

Now, I'm no Union Man (10 year military aircraft engineering officer) so the flexi-working does not bother me, however, what pressure are these aircraft technicians under if they are being asked to fix the aircraft and unload the bags? Is there a flight safety accident waiting to happen? Should I actively avoid flying BA for safety reasons?

Grateful if anyone at BA LHR could let me know. Is this 'Fit for Five' thing (The name of the programme I'm told your using to get efficient before T5) thinning you down too early and going too far?
Old 10th Mar 2007, 11:13

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Who's Job

A couple of years ago in Liverpool while walking back to our office we spied a Ryan Air captain hauling bags out of the forward freight of his 737.
No baggage handlers available as a whole herd of 73's had arrived at once.
So wearing our nice orange overalls we jumped in to give the man a hand.

Wouldn't make a habit of it but there are times when a mans got to do what a mans got to do. Besides we could see the funny side unlike the captain who was a bit hot and bothered!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if his F/O had declined or if they tossed for it!!!!!!!!

ericferret
Old 11th Mar 2007, 14:07

STOP STIRING! Dont try and wind people up. Engineers have been doing baggage overtime for years it is purely voluntary and frankly a very good earner, especially when there wasnt any engineering overtime. We get paid our overtime rates for doing baggage handling and have to comply with the Working Time Directive the same as every other person working shift. Its no different from doing engineering overtime. Some of the guys even double their wage through overtime. This year is the first year it has lasted all year rather than in the peak summer months. We do not step on the baggage handlers toes and work with them together with the agreement of their union. There is so much overtime available we just fill the slots they cannot fill due to running out of hours. I can't believe you are questioning safety. Yes I have taken the bait to reply but to kill this thread dead.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 17:56

Not Stiring

Before going on, I'm glad your finances are taking a turn for the better; I just hope that doesn't colour your judgement on what is a sensible discussion point.

The was actually a couple of points here:

1. Why does BA not employ baggage handlers at Terminal 4 on saturday night (as was obviously the case as there was no other aircraft in)
2. Why does it rely on engineers? (Be it paid or not)
3. Should I stop flying BA now because of such dreadful service.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 19:13

Ha Ha Ha you make me laugh why are my finances in question? But as an ex military man you will know all about communication and imflamatory language. I forgot money has corrupted me I appologise profusely, as sound judgment calls are beyond me. I dont think so.
We dont do both at the same time, a shift as an engineer then if you choose a shift as a loader or baggage handler.
1.Yes they do, but perhaps they had a high number of sick that night, and without going into the details, it is not baggage handlers that deal with the baggage on arrivals its the loading teams. Im not going to explain the different departments and their working practises or whether it is actually new processes in their infancy rather than "bolshey" union types that are the problem. Last time I checked there are plenty of aircraft "in" on Saturday nights. May be the teams were tied up on departures which may be going late? Who knows? BA has one of the best despatch reliability rates at the moment. Maybe sit waiting for tech delays with a few other airlines.
2. Why rely on engineers? it doesnt. But they come in very useful when the sh1t hits the fan. Your right there is the economics of recruiting lots of extra personel for peak periods while in an inefficient terminal for the final 12 months. Manning levels are set for T5 and the rest is overtime.
3. Can you not make your own decisions?
You asked for an answer from someone who has some first hand knowledge of whats going on it doesnt match the BA BASHING you wanted to start well tough. Things arent great, things arent perfect, there is a lot to be improved but neither are you or I or anyone else.
Old 11th Mar 2007, 21:04

As an LHR employee (but not with BA!), I can tell you that waiting 60-90 minutes for BA baggage is becoming the norm. Quite frankly, it's a disgrace. I can definitely see why they dropped their 'World's favourite airline' tagline!

Last edited by LB1985; 11th Mar 2007 at 21:04. Reason: Becase I can't spell!
Old 15th Mar 2007, 11:28

Sounds to me like the a/c hold was frozen shut, happened on a GSM 767 in MAN a few weeks back. There is a system to heat the seals when hte a/c has landed, but if this doesnt work and its not a warm day there isnt much the engineers can do.

Hence the baggage's guys leaving the a/c then with no one else to do it, the engineer's may have been asked to help with the offload once they got the hold open... GJ Engineers