The Caribbean and Latin America Aviation has been around South America and the Caribbean since the early days. A forum for aviators from that part of the world.

COPA Airlines interviews

Old 25th Mar 2017, 23:42
  #641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Maracaibo
Posts: 2
Well i just did my Interview this monday. Everything went very well, really straight foward this screening. First, i did the compass, then the 225 question psychological test, then the interview with a 737 captain and the HR girl, went really nice. The next day i did the sim on the seneca, pretty much like an ifr checkride. Did a sid in SDQ, then the VOR 17, followed by the missed approach all the way to the holding. Then got repositioned for vectors to the ILS 17, at 400 ft i lost the G/S so inmediately go around, then again repositioned por the ILS 17 one more time all the way in to a full stop Landing.

Then unfortunately for the guys that were with me on the screening the sim stopped working. Then we got picked up for the polygraph and i have to say it was the most uncomfortable thing i have ever done, really intimidating, but got nothing to hide so i am now just waiting for them to call me for the next step.

Do you know how much until they coctact you again after this first part?

Thanks!
RicParis is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2017, 03:06
  #642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 2
How long did they take to call you for the interview after you initially applied online?
Dmi737 is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2017, 14:36
  #643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Maracaibo
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Dmi737 View Post
How long did they take to call you for the interview after you initially applied online?
A lot, i sent the email with my cv in november, and then again in december.

The thing is as it was explained tome by a friend who flies there the E190, is that they were calling according to your nationality.

For example in my interview almost all of us where venezuelan and brazilians.

Also he told me that they were inviting pilots who had been referred by a Copa Pilot.

Hope you get called !
RicParis is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2017, 16:36
  #644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1
I got my interview last week, everything nice and straight to the point. The computer tests are the same as LPJ on medium level. The interview was about 30 minutes, nice talk about pilot background and simple questions, nothing too deep in aeronautical knowledge. Unfortunately, as Ric said above, the Sim broke and my crew had to come back home missing the Sim assessment. We hope to hear from them this week. To those who think Copa does not pay well or offer a good life in Panama, simply don`t apply and make it easier for those who want the job. I hope everyone gets the chance to fly for Copa, see you guys in beautiful Panama City!
CMPFO is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2017, 07:44
  #645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: up in the air
Posts: 31
anyone know HRD tel. no.?

i sent my CV about a month ago. haven't heard back from them yet except the autho reply.

i am assuming Spanish is not mandatory.
737seeker is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2017, 20:07
  #646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 2
Hi, I just received today a call from Copa for go to Panama this Sunday. I hope theŽll send the tickets and schedule via mail.

IŽve sent all my documents a month ago, and I sent my last document (the license, hours and no accidents certification) last Monday.


See u.
Laureanodb is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2017, 20:17
  #647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States of America
Posts: 10
Good day all, has anyone holding FAA certificates been called? How often are they hiring foreign pilots?
JetSyndrome30 is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2017, 22:53
  #648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 2
I have a OACI license (argentinean) CPL + IR + MULTT and 1000hr. I think they need a big quantity of pilots. They have called me 3 times for completion of documentation.
If you have sent the documents, try several times, they not always receive the emails.

Kind regards and good luck.
Laureanodb is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2017, 03:40
  #649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 92
is it true what someone said up there? FAA pilots being called with 500h?

a friend of mine is a captain over there and I'm pretty sure it's not possible but hey who knows......I have 513h haha
SextanteUK is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2017, 03:45
  #650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by JetSyndrome30 View Post
Good day all, has anyone holding FAA certificates been called? How often are they hiring foreign pilots?
I have seen pilots from all over Latin American being invited. Since they do not restrict the governing body that regulates licences according to their webpage, I would assume that an FAA licence is also accepted. They are still calling lots of pilots from all over, hopefully you'll get your chance too!

Best of luck.
GcitoG is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2017, 03:48
  #651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by SextanteUK View Post
is it true what someone said up there? FAA pilots being called with 500h?

a friend of mine is a captain over there and I'm pretty sure it's not possible but hey who knows......I have 513h haha
According to the company's webpage:

Panamanian pilots

Minimum age: 21.
Minimum operational experience: 250 flight hours as a pilot.
Single-engine, multi-engine and instruments license.
English level 4 (ICAO).

Foreign pilots

Minimum age: 21.
Minimum operational experience: 1,000 flight hours as a pilot.
Single-engine, multi-engine and instruments commercial license.
English level 4 (ICAO).
GcitoG is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2017, 22:33
  #652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by enrique757 View Post
With regionals hiring with decent bonuses , I don't know why any FAA licensed pilot want to build time in Copa. I flew there and most of the ex regional FOs are back in the states. Some went to JetBlue or Southwest.
I suggest monitoring the tone of the pilot "union" regarding foreigners... As we don't matter except for data to achieve their purposes...
That rumor about Copa hiring 500 HR FAA pilots also pissed off union members given the recent failed negotiations with the company.
Not all is shiny and glossy like the 737 PR pictures...
What is the average pay for an FO flying regional? Do you know anything about regionals or majors offering Sponsorship Programs for qualified FOs?
GcitoG is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 13:44
  #653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nicaragua
Age: 42
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by GcitoG View Post
What is the average pay for an FO flying regional? Do you know anything about regionals or majors offering Sponsorship Programs for qualified FOs?
Airline pilot Central will give you an idea of regional pay in the US. Some will give you bonuses if you are qualified, some will help you use those bonuses towards meeting your minimum hours, none will offer visa sponsorship though
chitolin is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2017, 14:00
  #654 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by enrique757 View Post
With regionals hiring with decent bonuses , I don't know why any FAA licensed pilot want to build time in Copa. I flew there and most of the ex regional FOs are back in the states. Some went to JetBlue or Southwest.
I suggest monitoring the tone of the pilot "union" regarding foreigners... As we don't matter except for data to achieve their purposes...
That rumor about Copa hiring 500 HR FAA pilots also pissed off union members given the recent failed negotiations with the company.
Not all is shiny and glossy like the 737 PR pictures...
Sorry to mention it again, but that means they are or aren`t hiring people with FAA and 500h?

One more question: If you hold a FAA license, do you still need to show ICAO english?
gustywings is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 12:59
  #655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nicaragua
Age: 42
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by gustywings View Post
Sorry to mention it again, but that means they are or aren`t hiring people with FAA and 500h?

One more question: If you hold a FAA license, do you still need to show ICAO english?
500 hrs does not min requirements, so no. FAA license shows "english proficient", so I guess that will do. But I think they will need to test you there as well...
chitolin is offline  
Old 4th Apr 2017, 08:16
  #656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: up in the air
Posts: 31
does anyone has tel. no. of Copa HRD ? my application via email returned only auto reply. the online application platform not letting me progress because of some internet security feature. i tried almost every possible solution. it didn't work.

also, do they accept applications non-Spanish speakers ?

expecting to be laid off in few months. desperately hunting for the next job. any help very much appreciated

Last edited by 737seeker; 4th Apr 2017 at 08:43.
737seeker is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2017, 22:10
  #657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by 737seeker View Post
does anyone has tel. no. of Copa HRD ? my application via email returned only auto reply. the online application platform not letting me progress because of some internet security feature. i tried almost every possible solution. it didn't work.

also, do they accept applications non-Spanish speakers ?

expecting to be laid off in few months. desperately hunting for the next job. any help very much appreciated
If you did get an auto-reply, it means they have your email. I wouldn't bother trying to get ahold of them by phone, they are really busy during the pilot selection process. If you have the requirements, they will most probably get in touch with you soon enough as they seem to be needing quite a lot of pilots. Spanish does not seem to be a must-have because they have foreign pilots flying there. Good luck!
GcitoG is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2017, 22:12
  #658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Does anyone know what to expect for the psychological evaluation with the Local Aviation Authority? Thanks for any inputs!
GcitoG is offline  
Old 15th May 2017, 15:57
  #659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States of America
Posts: 10
To the guys that went through the screening process. Upon successful completion, what is usually the next step and how long it takes?
JetSyndrome30 is offline  
Old 16th May 2017, 22:58
  #660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: FL370
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by JetSyndrome30 View Post
To the guys that went through the screening process. Upon successful completion, what is usually the next step and how long it takes?
The average I've heard of is that it takes about 2 months for the entire screening process to end from the first invitation to the final job offer. The screening process consists of:

Phase 1: Compass Test / HR Interview
Phase 2: Simulator / Polygraph
Phase 3: Skype English Evalaluation / AAC Psych Test

They are extremely busy processing probably thousands of applications for a large number of needed pilots.

Once you are cleared you receive the job offer and can expect a 4 to 5 months training period before you are done with the IOE.

Best of luck!
GcitoG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.