PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   Government Loan to Virgin Australia (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/631164-government-loan-virgin-australia.html)

DanV2 9th Apr 2020 06:23

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

VA axes what remains of the domestic network except for a single SYD-MEL service. This leaves only the single SYD-MEL service and the charters as the operating flights in the VA network.

Are we witnessing the death knell of VAH?

smiling monkey 9th Apr 2020 07:45


Originally Posted by Icarus2001 (Post 10744470)
Err the opposite of that I believe.
Every day EXCEPT Saturday.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

They mean RPT I guess? FIFO still operating through VARA?

If Virgin goes under, can VARA survive on its own or will Virgin take VARA down with it?

34R 9th Apr 2020 08:10

VARA is Virgin

Blueskymine 9th Apr 2020 08:15


Originally Posted by 34R (Post 10744539)
VARA is Virgin

VARA is Skywest. Seperate AOC.

The cats arse will be back. The fokker 50s ferried back in from whoever, wherever, and theyíll roll on again. Like last time.

34R 9th Apr 2020 08:20


Originally Posted by Blueskymine (Post 10744542)
VARA is Skywest. Seperate AOC.

The cats arse will be back. The fokker 50s ferried back in from whoever, wherever, and theyíll roll on again. Like last time.


Hope you're right....... What was the AOC status for VANZ and Tiger?
Genuine question

neville_nobody 9th Apr 2020 08:23

If VARA have their own AOC there is a chance it could be resuscitated and sold off.

machtuk 9th Apr 2020 08:26

RIP VA, the little leprechaun will be very pleased!

DanV2 9th Apr 2020 08:33

Skywest and Hazelton/Kendall (now REX), which were all on separate AOCs from mainline AN's AOC, was sold off and restarted when AN collapsed.

VA regional is using the Skywest AOC. So it'll likely be the same case if VA was to file voluntary administration shortly, Skywest (VA Regional) would be restarted through the existing VARA AOC as soon as it's possible after administration.

normanton 9th Apr 2020 08:46

Minus the Virgin name, so Branson who didn't come to the rescue can't make his 10%.

-41 9th Apr 2020 08:49

a standalone VARA would be easily destroyed by AJ.

Sunfish 9th Apr 2020 08:52

So we get left with ******* Qantas. Here comes $1000 Melbourne Sydney flights and $3000 economy to Europe. All to keep a bunch of cosseted prima donnas in Sydney. Get rid of Qantas. They are a bunch of parasites.

Bankstown 9th Apr 2020 08:52


Originally Posted by neville_nobody (Post 10744546)
If VARA have their own AOC there is a chance it could be resuscitated and sold off.

The AOC is separate:
Holder Name:
VIRGIN AUSTRALIA REGIONAL AIRLINES PTY LTD
Town/City:
WELSHPOOL
State:
WA
AOC Holder Country:
Australia
Type of AOC:
Australian
CASA Office:
Western Region
Operations:
Aircraft Charter, RPT
AOC Application Status:
Issued
Issue Date:
27/09/2019
Expiry Date:
30/09/2022

-41 9th Apr 2020 09:00

She'll be right QQ will buy the mainline 73 AOC 😂 minus the Branson baggage

ABP 9th Apr 2020 09:15


Originally Posted by DanV2 (Post 10744473)
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

VA axes what remains of the domestic network except for a single SYD-MEL service. This leaves only the single SYD-MEL service and the charters as the operating flights in the VA network.

Are we witnessing the death knell of VAH?

Qantas about to announce 1B737, 1A230 and 1DH8 operation too.

normanton 9th Apr 2020 09:26


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10744575)
So we get left with ******* Qantas. Here comes $1000 Melbourne Sydney flights and $3000 economy to Europe. All to keep a bunch of cosseted prima donnas in Sydney. Get rid of Qantas. They are a bunch of parasites.

Sunfish you are a parasite yourself.

Colonel_Klink 9th Apr 2020 10:05


Originally Posted by morno (Post 10744467)
And now Virgin announces that theyíre stopping ALL domestic flights bar one return SYD-MEL.

If thatís not a company in desperation I donít know what is.

You have states closing down their borders - absolutely no one is flying.

Have you been to an airport recently? I have:
Melbourne - was empty with hardly any cars driving from the Tulla up to departures or arrivals.
Sydney - we taxied for 34L (as they were only using one runway) and there wasnít a single arrival or departure the whole time, and we were the only ones taxiing.
Gold Coast - we were the only RPT flight for the day

In case you havenít realised, the country is in lockdown. Whatís the point in flying empty aircraft around? Iím not sure what loads on QF (I would be genuinely interested to know) are like, but they are very very low on VA.

And as the poster above said, QF arenít far from doing a similar thing. To be honest, Iím glad VA got in first with this - I would hate to know how much money is being spent flying around empty planes.

Sunfish 9th Apr 2020 10:47

My interest is the development of the australian economy.

‘It is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your ‘30,000” jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.

dr dre 9th Apr 2020 10:56


Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink (Post 10744660)
And as the poster above said, QF arenít far from doing a similar thing. To be honest, Iím glad VA got in first with this - I would hate to know how much money is being spent flying around empty planes.

QF basically have already.

Loads are low on all airlines but there are goods and people that still need to be moved intercity by air quickly, they canít wait for the long times that road transport takes in Australia. Freight, mail, organ transplants, compassionate travel, transfer of key critical health, emergency and government personnel. A lot of trade is now being done online and by order instead of in stores, lots of that goes by air and the current freight only fleet isnít big enough to carry it all, thereíll need to keep some pax aircraft airborne transporting a lot of that freight so they might as well sell some tickets. There is only a skeleton network operating, but the government will need to subsidise that bare skeleton network for critical issues. It actually wouldnít cost too much for a few months as itíd be no more than a one or a few flights per day between cities.

The airlines will also need to keep some pilots current or when the lockdowns are lifted and 5 million Australians want to travel and visit their family and friends all over the country again (in China as soon as the lockdowns were lifted people flocked everywhere) and get the economy back on track there wonít be enough current pilots to fly them all suddenly.

cloudsurfng 9th Apr 2020 11:04


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10744687)
My interest is the development of the australian economy.

ĎIt is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your Ď30,000Ē jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.

this is a brilliant post. Long enough to print out and use as toilet paper.

SandyPalms 9th Apr 2020 11:23


Originally Posted by Sunfish (Post 10744687)
My interest is the development of the australian economy.

ĎIt is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your Ď30,000Ē jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.

axiomatic? Been a while mate, welcome back.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:51.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.