Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia - no food in economy.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Virgin Australia - no food in economy.

Old 24th Mar 2021, 12:24
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fliegensville, Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 22
And I remember First & Business class early morning flights OOL - SYD, early 90's I would say....the second after the seat belt signs were off, the white linen was put down, full hot breakfast, bottomless coffee, until descent, then the linen was taken away try tables upright and into Sydney....fabulous indeed!

I am so pleased to have known that 'other' time...CX serving brandy after the meal service in Y class.....things were so much better until...'Our customer research has revealed what you want'....no it damn well has not!!
Fliegenmong is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 13:04
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat View Post
I've flown quite a few times with VA and the lack of tea and coffee has annoyed me (usually at 6am); if they bring that back, I don't really care about a meal or snack.
Be thankful you miss out, after youíve seen e water tests that come back from the water tanks on most jets.
havick is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 19:58
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: All at sea
Posts: 1,900
I don’t mind paying for proper food, but not junk food. Meantime Virgin should stop referring to its customers as ‘guests’ and call them what they are by definition - passengers.

Mach E Avelli is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 20:44
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
A friend forwarded this to me yesterday. No "complimentary" food in economy anymore. Food available for purchase? Very light on detail. What about the fare paid that included a food component?
As your quote stated itís very clear. If you paid for your ticket when meals were included make it known and you will get your free grub. Many airlines are doing this now.
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 20:48
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
I have a crazy idea. Make flying Ď niceí again.

Where people dress properly, a ticket costs more than a taxi fare to the airport, even in Y you have decent leg room.. and the whole experience is, well, .. nice.

( ok .. I will just go back into my cave).
And 75% of all pilots worldwide are made redundant. That will go over well on this site.
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 20:56
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 745
75%? Where did you pull that figure from
SHVC is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 21:21
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: aus
Posts: 522
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
I have a crazy idea. Make flying Ď niceí again.

Where people dress properly, a ticket costs more than a taxi fare to the airport, even in Y you have decent leg room.. and the whole experience is, well, .. nice.

( ok .. I will just go back into my cave).

Yes crazy, the vast majority of people dont want that shit, what I want from flying fast in and out of the airport and a seat on a safe plane and if flying longhaul in flight entertainment. I dont care what others wear, dont care about the shitty snack on short haul. People who want to return to the "golden age of flying" pay for first class.
rattman is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 21:22
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 871
Is this part of the new world airline concept that JH was talking about? Where the back end is like Jetstar and the front end is like QF? Bogans at the back and business up the front? What happens is that the bogans still travel Jetstar because they don't feel out of place and business travels QF because they don't want to mix with the bogans even if it is in Y. Your new world airline just gets the brand loyalists and the crumbs.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 22:01
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montreal
Posts: 13
A good percentage of domestic flights in Australia are less than 2.5 hours duration. It amazes me that people cannot go without a heavy feed for that amount of time? Most workers will go 4 to 5 hours before having a break which may include coffee and a snack, or lunch. And most workers can go 3 to 4 hours without having to take a sh#t also. But oh no, not when it comes to flying. Letís say the plane departs for a 70 minute flight. By the time it hits cruise and the seatbelt signs are switched off people have been onboard for around 30 minutes average. But they rush for the onboard shitter. A lineup of defecators who barely lasted 30 mins in their seat. WTF? Then there is the food - why why why, why do you need a feed? Itís a 1 hour flight. Crew are running about like blue arse flies to hand out mini bottles of water, OJ and a cookie. FFS, eat at home! The snacks on the aircraft (especially) the coffee are complete shit, and the airport is a ripoff!

So yeah, VA may be offering crap onboard, but nobody is suffering. Itís Stockholm syndrome all over. Itís like the wankers who speed up on the road when you finally get an overtaking lane. Itís psychological. They do 80 in a 100 zone and when you get to the overtaking lane they speed up to 130 so you canít pass, and then drop back down to 80. Same same with flying, people just have to run for the dunnies when the seatbelt sign is removed. Here is a thought, take a pre-boarding crap in the airport. People then whinge they get crap food on a 50 minute flight. Hereís a thought - eat at home before you travel to the airport!!!


Epicurus is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 22:32
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Village
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by MickG0105 View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't pay-for-food the catering model that Virgin had for the back of the bus back in the good old days when they actually made money.
Guess those brown bag deals with DGL's really paid off then
didrechambers77 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 23:01
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
A good percentage of domestic flights in Australia are less than 2.5 hours duration. It amazes me that people cannot go without a heavy feed for that amount of time? Most workers will go 4 to 5 hours before having a break which may include coffee and a snack, or lunch. And most workers can go 3 to 4 hours without having to take a sh#t also. But oh no, not when it comes to flying. Letís say the plane departs for a 70 minute flight. By the time it hits cruise and the seatbelt signs are switched off people have been onboard for around 30 minutes average. But they rush for the onboard shitter. A lineup of defecators who barely lasted 30 mins in their seat. WTF? Then there is the food - why why why, why do you need a feed? Itís a 1 hour flight. Crew are running about like blue arse flies to hand out mini bottles of water, OJ and a cookie. FFS, eat at home! The snacks on the aircraft (especially) the coffee are complete shit, and the airport is a ripoff!

So yeah, VA may be offering crap onboard, but nobody is suffering. Itís Stockholm syndrome all over. Itís like the wankers who speed up on the road when you finally get an overtaking lane. Itís psychological. They do 80 in a 100 zone and when you get to the overtaking lane they speed up to 130 so you canít pass, and then drop back down to 80. Same same with flying, people just have to run for the dunnies when the seatbelt sign is removed. Here is a thought, take a pre-boarding crap in the airport. People then whinge they get crap food on a 50 minute flight. Hereís a thought - eat at home before you travel to the airport!!!
spot on.

funny how the people that hunt around for a $49 fare because they think flying is overpriced are happy to fork out another 15 bucks because they canít possibly last 50 minutes without a glassful of Shiraz and 3 biscuits with cheese....
Same people would balk at paying 12 bucks at DMs for a whole bottle!
LapSap is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 23:05
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Fliegenmong View Post
And I remember First & Business class early morning flights OOL - SYD, early 90's I would say....the second after the seat belt signs were off, the white linen was put down, full hot breakfast, bottomless coffee, until descent, then the linen was taken away try tables upright and into Sydney....fabulous indeed!

I am so pleased to have known that 'other' time...CX serving brandy after the meal service in Y class.....things were so much better until...'Our customer research has revealed what you want'....no it damn well has not!!
What rubbish! I first flew to Bali in 1982 and the return fare at the time was $1080. Adjusting for inflation, that would make a return Economy fare to DPS today as over $3700. Be grateful about how much cheaper flying has become. If you want fancy food, go to a proper good restaurant with all the money you have saved from cheaper airfares.
1A_Please is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2021, 23:27
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: terra firma
Posts: 146
And you Australians have the audacity to moan about "whingeing Poms?". This is pathetic coming from some of you.

Flying is now cheap. Food on aircraft is generally rubbish. And pricey. Buy a nice bloody sandwich and a bun to take with you.

It won't cost you much, either.......Sheesh!
MissChief is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 05:18
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Oztrailia
Posts: 2,920
Ha funny, don’t ever recall seeing any hot food in Economy in VA on all my flights over the years, chips and pretzels mostly.....even over dinner flights so this is hardly new.
ACMS is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 07:55
  #35 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 3,327
Update: My friend flew today and tells me that they could only manage cold drinks, water and juices. Not even the tea and coffee promised in the VA email. On a nearly four hour sector. What a circus.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 11:04
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1
I can't believe so many people on here like airline food.
To be fair to the people that prepare and dish it out, when it comes to feeding people 10k in the air there is a lot that needs to be compromised.

If you want a good meal, eat at home or at a restaurant at the airport, works all the time. If allowed, carry your own lunch box.
cattletruck is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 11:51
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 402
I wonder if V4 will gain some traction and market share under Bruce Buchananís leadership.

Might be hard once Rex starts flying 330s across the Tasman.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 11:55
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne
Age: 49
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by MickG0105 View Post
Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't pay-for-food the catering model that Virgin had for the back of the bus back in the good old days when they actually made money.
As SLF who flew VA domestically from the Blue days onwards enough to keep a good FF status for many years: they seemed to me to be adjusting the catering model every few months. Good riddance to the pitiful offering in the year or so pre-COVID -- e.g., a tiny pack of three crackers and a micro-sized dip -- it achieved nil except annoyance value, and it was truly embarrassing for the company. My own preference was for the old VB days. If you wanted food there was a reasonable sanga and a drink for $10 or so. Otherwise they left you alone, with (IIRC) just one fairly cheery announcement before takeoff then they'd STFU for the rest of the flight. Latter day VA was as bad as QF with the pointless chatter but at least QF didn't seek to fake full service with a 25g pack of nothingness.

So to me it's good news that they might revert to their old ways (and which might have been more profitable too)
unexplained blip is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 17:25
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 515
It doesnít effect me so I may well be wrong but just to empathise with some of the busy corporate ďguestsĒ for a moment.

Perhaps business passengers who are getting up at 4:30 in the morning to get the 6am flight to MEL/SYD/BNE/ADL donít want to get up any earlier to buy their breakfast at the terminal. They want to use the dead time on the plane to eat so they can get off at the other end and head straight to their 8am meeting.

At the end of the day they want to head to the airport and get on a plane, spending the absolute minimum time in the terminal. So if they havenít eaten at work, or in the taxi, or in the security queue or waiting for boarding to start, or while squeezing 180 passengers on to a 737.... now they are kinda hungry and they donít want to have to find food at the other end as they really just want to get home. So getting some edible food would make good use of the otherwise wasted time sitting in a pokey seat, wishing you were home already.

Itís not super important but it just may be a big enough deal to make you spend another $40 of your employers money to fly with a carrier that will feed you (even if itís crap).
Beer Baron is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2021, 18:10
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
It doesnít effect me so I may well be wrong but just to empathise with some of the busy corporate ďguestsĒ for a moment.

Perhaps business passengers who are getting up at 4:30 in the morning to get the 6am flight to MEL/SYD/BNE/ADL donít want to get up any earlier to buy their breakfast at the terminal. They want to use the dead time on the plane to eat so they can get off at the other end and head straight to their 8am meeting.

At the end of the day they want to head to the airport and get on a plane, spending the absolute minimum time in the terminal. So if they havenít eaten at work, or in the taxi, or in the security queue or waiting for boarding to start, or while squeezing 180 passengers on to a 737.... now they are kinda hungry and they donít want to have to find food at the other end as they really just want to get home. So getting some edible food would make good use of the otherwise wasted time sitting in a pokey seat, wishing you were home already.

Itís not super important but it just may be a big enough deal to make you spend another $40 of your employers money to fly with a carrier that will feed you (even if itís crap).
You obviously donít fly business much. They can get their breakfast for free in the business class lounge. Always going to have time as you are going to have at least 45-60 minutes before your flight.
highflyer40 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.