Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

QF Group possible Redundancy Numbers/Packages

Old 14th Nov 2020, 21:46
  #2181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 90
Because WA and QLD are not using common sense they’re using political motivation which is having an effect on WA and QLD residents. Good for NSW and SA as those residents flock to ADL and Ballina/Byron we thank those guys for sending money our way creating employment and allowing families to reunite.

TAS needed to wait as they are a smaller island and didn’t have the resources to cope with an outbreak and needed to be sure and in my opinion didn’t make it political.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 14th Nov 2020, 22:07
  #2182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 423
Originally Posted by Slezy9 View Post
How have TAS and SA borders been different to QLD up until recently?
As far as I know, they havenít been happy to make exceptions for sporting teams, movie stars etc due to $$$$$$, while compassionate/medical cases from just across the border get knocked back. Nor have they been indulging in belligerent, childish rhetoric and saying things like ĎWe have South Australian hospitals for South Australiansí.
itsnotthatbloodyhard is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 05:05
  #2183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Who wouldíve thought the doom and gloom of a few months ago would end in some positive news only a short time later.

EOI was sent out to 787 crew this morning for flying in Dec, Jan, Feb.

Great way to end the year. Letís hope it continues
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 07:13
  #2184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76 View Post
Who wouldíve thought the doom and gloom of a few months ago would end in some positive news only a short time later.

EOI was sent out to 787 crew this morning for flying in Dec, Jan, Feb.

Great way to end the year. Letís hope it continues
I wonder if the 2000+ ground staff who found out via a media post that their jobs no longer existed are thinking its a great way to end the year.
People making comments like this just dont get it.
Oh i forgot,the company statement saying it was a very difficult time for the affected employees & their families shows how much they really care.
blubak is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 07:39
  #2185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by blubak View Post
I wonder if the 2000+ ground staff who found out via a media post that their jobs no longer existed are thinking its a great way to end the year.
People making comments like this just dont get it.
Oh i forgot,the company statement saying it was a very difficult time for the affected employees & their families shows how much they really care.
This post was directed at flight crew and being a PILOT forum then yes it is a great way to end the year. Many have not taken a pay check since March - itís unfortunate what happened to the ground crew but thatís the way it went this time round. Many of us have faced redundancy before, multiple times.

might sound harsh but a job as a baggage handler compared to a career as a pilot is a little different. Many of us didnít know when we were getting paid next...let alone the next career if this fell through.

good luck to you
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 09:23
  #2186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76 View Post
might sound harsh but a job as a baggage handler compared to a career as a pilot is a little different.
not to the baggage handler.

Tucknroll is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 10:18
  #2187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: The street
Posts: 70
Qantas don’t give a shit about staff. Pilots or ground crew.
Got some good advice today from an old TRE.If you can, then get out of flying. Use the time off now to study or do something else. Get a side hustle.Get a solid employment alternate.Don’t ever rely on the job now.No one in Qantas cares about you or your family. Focus on the alternate that is now destination. Might take some time but it is essential.
In the future if you do go back then always remember to put yourself and your family first. Qantas don’t care but you have to.
FightDeck is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 11:22
  #2188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by FightDeck View Post
Qantas donít give a shit about staff. Pilots or ground crew.
Got some good advice today from an old TRE.If you can, then get out of flying. Use the time off now to study or do something else. Get a side hustle.Get a solid employment alternate.Donít ever rely on the job now.No one in Qantas cares about you or your family. Focus on the alternate that is now destination. Might take some time but it is essential.
In the future if you do go back then always remember to put yourself and your family first. Qantas donít care but you have to.
Virgin donít give a sh!t about staff, Tiger donít give a sh!t about staff, Ansett donít give a sh!t about staff. No airline gives a sh!t about staff. Qantas at least make money and thatís about all you can hope for.

cheers,
Greaser
206greaser is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 19:53
  #2189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DeShire
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by FightDeck View Post
Qantas donít give a shit about staff. Pilots or ground crew.
Got some good advice today from an old TRE.If you can, then get out of flying. Use the time off now to study or do something else. Get a side hustle.Get a solid employment alternate.Donít ever rely on the job now.No one in Qantas cares about you or your family. Focus on the alternate that is now destination. Might take some time but it is essential.
In the future if you do go back then always remember to put yourself and your family first. Qantas donít care but you have to.

Exactly. It doesnít matter if Qantas make money or not. Nearly all crew are stood down and are not getting paid. Did not stop Alan taking 9 million in shares and all the executives are getting paid.
I think this is a good point for any airline pilots in Oz.Flying has to be treated like secondary employment.I would be actively be telling young people not to enter the industry.


knobbycobby is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 22:35
  #2190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 375
FD and Knobby, couldnít agree more!
Anyone starting out in this industry should take this advice. The best income insurance is a solid, second job. Get yourself qualifications, slowly over time, so you are not dependent on your flying job.
The only person you can rely on is yourself.
Wingspar is offline  
Old 1st Dec 2020, 23:07
  #2191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 509
The C19 shutdown has exposed just how fragile the job of pilot is. If I was a young pilot starting out I would be looking at getting a non-flying qualification or getting a Bachelor of Aviation and do a grad dip in some other field. The issue with a non- flying qualification is maintaining it. So if you get a teaching qualification how do you maintain it if you fly a domestic roster. I think future EBA negations are going to have acknowledge this and allow for a lot more part time and job sharing. Thankfully I am getting to the end of my career and have been able to survive on the sale of assets but for young pilots starting out they will have to face stand downs at some point in their future career.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 04:59
  #2192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 567
It's always been fragile, this is an additional new one. It will be climate change next, 40,000 engines pumping out 800 degrees celcius in the FL250 to FL 390 band, 24/7 can't be good.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 09:47
  #2193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DeShire
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by Wingspar View Post
FD and Knobby, couldnít agree more!
Anyone starting out in this industry should take this advice. The best income insurance is a solid, second job. Get yourself qualifications, slowly over time, so you are not dependent on your flying job.
The only person you can rely on is yourself.
Indeed.Qantas used to be a great company.So did a Virgin in the early days. Ansett was too as was Australian airlines.But the reality is the work environment is toxic now and no aviation company gives a toss about their employees except executives that rake in millions.
You canít rely on a career as a pilot now.COVID has been a blessing in some ways.I would actively telling people thinking about it not to. Or to have another degree, skill or qualification and job before they even contemplate it.Even then I would do them a favour and say stop whilst you can.
If your already committed then:
-Donít ever be solely reliant on flying for a career or money again
-Go to Uni or use your time off to learn a trade or a different skill or start a business. Take as long as you need but you will need something else.
-Prioritise yourself and your family. Stand down and redundancy proved that no airline cares about their pilots or their loyalty. Pilots are a cost base and nothing else.Geoff Dixon said if you want loyalty buy a dog.Alan would stand the dog down when he was not needed.Jayne would probably euthanize the dog.
-Donít do any favours if it doesnít suit you. No one cares about your wellbeing but you.
knobbycobby is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 10:17
  #2194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 12
[QUOTE=
-Geoff Dixon said if you want loyalty buy a dog.
Alan would stand the dog down when he was not needed.[/QUOTE]

Classic!! 😂😂😂😂
Props _are_for_boats is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 21:11
  #2195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by Xeptu View Post
It's always been fragile, this is an additional new one. It will be climate change next, 40,000 engines pumping out 800 degrees celcius in the FL250 to FL 390 band, 24/7 can't be good.
Climate change will be the next reason, yes, but more for the 3.15 tonnes of CO2 produced per tonne of jet fuel. The latest U.N. report can be read here: https://public.wmo.int/en/media/pres...t-years-record
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2020, 23:55
  #2196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 1,061
A few years ago I was in an airline crew room in the US, on the notice board there was a multitude of business cards and advertisements for businesses that the pilots were running or involved in. With furloughs, and pension plans decimated as a result of mergers or bankruptcy protection and restructuring, they knew how unreliable their finances were.

When you add in that your career is dependant on passing your medical as well, you realise how insecure your income is. Having a wife with a well paid job in a different field such, as law or medicine is good insurance but for most of us a substantial financial buffer needs to be built up in the good times and financial security achieved asap.

Taking on a loan for flying training, with the aim of paying it back from airline earnings later on isn't a good idea. Join the airforce or fly for fun.
krismiler is online now  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 01:24
  #2197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 375
Iím wondering about numbers now that a big chunk is about to go with those leaving on VR/ER.
The situation in the UK with vaccine approval, and more to come, has reported that by Easter and certainly by the northern summer the Brits will have it well under control.
Take it out to July and I can see a very good case for the reinstatement of PER-LHR at that time.
Latest Aus figures show discretionary spending has boomed. I think when the time comes people will climb over themselves to travelling internationally again.
The UK is just the start. Most western countries wonít be far behind.
Iíve said it before but QF will be short again by later next year.
Wingspar is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 02:05
  #2198 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,367
I can foresee a scenario (one of a few different ones though) that all A330s will be up and going by the end of 2021.

If thatís the case we are at least 57 Captains short on that fleet. If the mooted route structure comes off then weíll be short by an additional margin of about 10-15% on top of that again so call it 65 in round numbers.

The 787 has enough Captains to cover 11 airframes. Any additional airframes coming and theyíre short of crew too.

The 747 has less than 10 Captains left to RIN.

The A380 has about 45 Captains left. Some A380s I reckon will be flying from about March Ď22- probably enough that theyíll need a few additional Captains on that aeroplane too. Perhaps 20 or so.

F/O numbers are a bit harder to predict with the A380 still largely at full strength (for 12 jets), the 787 with the right numbers for about 12, A330 with about the right numbers to cover all aircraft (if we train those who were scheduled to come onto the jet just as Covid hit), and about 35 747 F/Os to deal with.

Anyway, thatís my take on the numbers.
Keg is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 02:18
  #2199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 476
How are the 330 SO ranks looking? How many were scared into LWOP?

Every AIPA email mentions how burdened they are...
ruprecht is online now  
Old 4th Dec 2020, 02:55
  #2200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 375
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
I can foresee a scenario (one of a few different ones though) that all A330s will be up and going by the end of 2021.

If thatís the case we are at least 57 Captains short on that fleet. If the mooted route structure comes off then weíll be short by an additional margin of about 10-15% on top of that again so call it 65 in round numbers.

The 787 has enough Captains to cover 11 airframes. Any additional airframes coming and theyíre short of crew too.

The 747 has less than 10 Captains left to RIN.

The A380 has about 45 Captains left. Some A380s I reckon will be flying from about March Ď22- probably enough that theyíll need a few additional Captains on that aeroplane too. Perhaps 20 or so.

F/O numbers are a bit harder to predict with the A380 still largely at full strength (for 12 jets), the 787 with the right numbers for about 12, A330 with about the right numbers to cover all aircraft (if we train those who were scheduled to come onto the jet just as Covid hit), and about 35 747 F/Os to deal with.

Anyway, thatís my take on the numbers.
Exactly Keg!
57-65 Captains. That training load alone is frightening. The 787 crewing issue also is alarming. Donít forget the additional airframes parked in the desert. What about numbers for them? The 787 will be very much in demand in the second half. At least QF have all those options!


Wingspar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.