Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 22nd Jan 2018, 15:27
  #10421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Caspian1 View Post
@ Flying184

Thanks a lot for the above re training - extremely helpful. Difficult situations tend to be exaggerated (particularly by the prospective employer) so it's nice to hear real world accounts such as yours.

For the initial nine months of training I guess I will have to devote alternate Sundays to either (a) seeing the kids, or (b) working to feed the kids and keep the other job!

Any others going through training at the moment? Be interested to hear what your typical weekends are like.
Hi

I am currently going through basic training at NATS so if I may chip in a little bit.

As Flying184 has already said, the workload during training is pretty tough and I would also urge caution with your current plan to do consultancy work on the side. My basic course seems to be run differently from what Flying184 has described, but you would find it very difficult to have free time to do much else.

To give you an idea, after the 0800-1600 day at college I usually do an additional 3 hours study in the evening, and probably 4/5 hours at the weekend with one day off. You don't have continuous exams every week as mentioned before, but you do have a massive amount of theory to learn initially, with your first written exam (covering 4 of the topics) about 5 weeks into the course. You then have your other written exam about 2 weeks after this, with practical exams the week after that, so pretty relentless. There is no time to take your foot off the throttle and you really need to hit the ground running when it comes to learning the theory, let alone working on your practical technique.

You need to decided how much work you can realistically put into training, but I would suggest what you have described as your plan currently, if you want a good chance of passing the courses, may be very difficult to maintain without feeling burned out. Everyone is different though, but I can only advise from my experience.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Kirsteneg is offline  
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 16:00
  #10422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by ahmad221 View Post
Hi

Unfortunately Iím unable to find the group. Any suggestions?
Try searching 'NATS 251', should come up. Failing that I'll PM you so you can add me then I can put you in
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 16:46
  #10423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Kirsteneg View Post
Hi

I am currently going through basic training at NATS so if I may chip in a little bit.

As Flying184 has already said, the workload during training is pretty tough and I would also urge caution with your current plan to do consultancy work on the side. My basic course seems to be run differently from what Flying184 has described, but you would find it very difficult to have free time to do much else.

To give you an idea, after the 0800-1600 day at college I usually do an additional 3 hours study in the evening, and probably 4/5 hours at the weekend with one day off. You don't have continuous exams every week as mentioned before, but you do have a massive amount of theory to learn initially, with your first written exam (covering 4 of the topics) about 5 weeks into the course. You then have your other written exam about 2 weeks after this, with practical exams the week after that, so pretty relentless. There is no time to take your foot off the throttle and you really need to hit the ground running when it comes to learning the theory, let alone working on your practical technique.

You need to decided how much work you can realistically put into training, but I would suggest what you have described as your plan currently, if you want a good chance of passing the courses, may be very difficult to maintain without feeling burned out. Everyone is different though, but I can only advise from my experience.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Just to explain the discrepancies - I was sent to complete my NATS training at Global/Gloucestershire with 11 other students
Flying184 is offline  
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 18:05
  #10424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Farnham
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Daleboy93 View Post
Try searching 'NATS 251', should come up. Failing that I'll PM you so you can add me then I can put you in
Found it and request sent 😊
ahmad221 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 11:39
  #10425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chandlers Ford
Posts: 3
Stage 2 Interview

So I have my stage 2 assessment day on Friday so I've read with interest all the threads especially about the initial training. Seems like life gets popped on hold for a few months! Tricky with a family but hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get though and if I do it sounds like I wont be the only one. I live very near Swanwick so I'm really hoping to be able to do my training there but hey who knows!

Can anyone shed any light on how long the first multiple choice on the document I received will take and also how long the FEAST & DART tests are? I'm presuming a couple of hours for each but that does seem a long time.

Do I need paper pens, calculator? I know I did in the 1st stage.

What type of questions are in the FEAST test, any online examples would be great but I can't locate any.

Any help and advice would be eagerly received.

Can't believe how nervous I am about it, it's just something I've wanted for a long time

Thanks in Advance
ramages is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 13:06
  #10426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midlands
Posts: 6
Hello all!

Just found out about this thread! I am taking my Stage 3 next week and would be great if somebody could give me some tips or what to expect.
I have seen somebody earlier on posted a step-by-step of their day in Stage 2, but havent seen one for Stage 3, which would really help me!
One key question I have is regarding the document they give you to revise over in Stage 2, they ask you to do so again - Which part of the day would this be used for? Is there another multiple choice type questionnaire about it? Id rather practise for interview questions as thats my weak link, but would like to know if anybody can confirm it is important to thoroughly revise back through that document?
Fredh182 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 14:15
  #10427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midlands
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by ramages View Post
So I have my stage 2 assessment day on Friday so I've read with interest all the threads especially about the initial training. Seems like life gets popped on hold for a few months! Tricky with a family but hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get though and if I do it sounds like I wont be the only one. I live very near Swanwick so I'm really hoping to be able to do my training there but hey who knows!

Can anyone shed any light on how long the first multiple choice on the document I received will take and also how long the FEAST & DART tests are? I'm presuming a couple of hours for each but that does seem a long time.

Do I need paper pens, calculator? I know I did in the 1st stage.

What type of questions are in the FEAST test, any online examples would be great but I can't locate any.

Any help and advice would be eagerly received.

Can't believe how nervous I am about it, it's just something I've wanted for a long time

Thanks in Advance
First of all, good luck on Friday! A general tip i received was to not over think things, stay calm, and dont be too afraid of not passing (as you know, its not for everyone).

The multi-choice i think was 20-25questions. If you read the document you should be fine. I remember terrified il be quizzed on the plane statistics, but it wasnt too heavy in that department for myself luckily.
The FEAST and DART are about 2 hours long each. You may finish them early if you are quick, but they are timed questions so most will finish around the same time. You wont need any paper pens etc, they provide everything and tell you not to put anything else on the desk. A calculator was not needed at all.

The FEAST test is mainly spatial reasoning tests. I cant post links here, but go on google and accept the first response to 'spatial reasoning test' by 123test, it is an extremely good example of what you will encounter. My advice will be to also play the games on the NATS website. Whereas they may not be exactly what was used in FEAST of Dart, there reaction timings and how the difficulty level goes up are good examples of what you will encounter.
The DART test, I honestly dont see anything that can prepare you for it. Not in a scary way. I found it the easiest part of the day personally.

Final bit of advice will be, if you make it through the day then look out for the email in your JUNK email inviting you Stage 3. I received it 8 days after my Stage 2 and I had no idea it was in my junk mail (due to all other NATS communications coming to my main inbox).

Keep calm, dont over complicate things. Realize especially when you are doing the FEAST you WILL make mistakes, but dont let it get to you as there are so many questions a few mistakes are okay. Drink lots of water. Go to the bathroom whenever they give you the chance. And in my opinion dont 'guess randomly' to get an answer down, skip it and move on and come back to it at the end.
Fredh182 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 14:18
  #10428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1
Eek

So I've got through my stage 0 and 1 tests (much to my surprise) and have booked my assessment day for the 5th February! Any tips and tricks for the booklet or any one any experience to give me some pointers, I'm feeling confident, but can always do better and learn from those with experience!
thatjaymo is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 16:58
  #10429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chandlers Ford
Posts: 3
Thanks so much ​​​​​​​that is a real help much appreciated. Funnily enough I've tried the same spatial reasoning tests so thats good to hear.

In the Multiple choice on the document were there lots of questions on the acronyms? Feels like theres hundreds of them.
ramages is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 20:52
  #10430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midlands
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by ramages View Post
Thanks so much that is a real help much appreciated. Funnily enough I've tried the same spatial reasoning tests so thats good to hear.

In the Multiple choice on the document were there lots of questions on the acronyms? Feels like theres hundreds of them.
I dont want to say too much about what was on the tests to make it fair. But i can confirm there were some acronym questions. Id be careful as its likely they use different questions per different groups. In general i would expect some tricky acronym questions though! As an idea of how many passed the sections (so maybe you can consider which test is hardest) - everybody in my group passed the multi choice paper questions regarding the booklet, however only 2/8 managed to get passed FEAST and on to DART. You dont know how many people passed DART as the results came in personal emails approx 8 days after the assessment day.
Fredh182 is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 22:24
  #10431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chandlers Ford
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Fredh182 View Post
I dont want to say too much about what was on the tests to make it fair. But i can confirm there were some acronym questions. Id be careful as its likely they use different questions per different groups. In general i would expect some tricky acronym questions though! As an idea of how many passed the sections (so maybe you can consider which test is hardest) - everybody in my group passed the multi choice paper questions regarding the booklet, however only 2/8 managed to get passed FEAST and on to DART. You dont know how many people passed DART as the results came in personal emails approx 8 days after the assessment day.
Thanks again. You've really helped settle my nerves. 2 out of 8 though wow. Well I'll give it my best shot. Good luck with Stage 3
ramages is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2018, 08:19
  #10432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by ramages View Post
Thanks again. You've really helped settle my nerves. 2 out of 8 though wow. Well I'll give it my best shot. Good luck with Stage 3
When I did the FEAST at NATS 2,5 years ago I think about 10/12 passed it. But in the end it all comes down to if you have the capabilities or not, and if you're well rested when you start the test. I can imagine the passing rate will be very different each testing day!
Timpsi is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2018, 12:12
  #10433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 9
Hey Fred congratulations on getting to Stage. When next week do you have it? Iíll be there on the 29th for mine too. Have you had any luck answering your questions as I too would like to know if I need to thoroughly revise the document.
Tracker400 is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2018, 14:15
  #10434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midlands
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Tracker400 View Post
Hey Fred congratulations on getting to Stage. When next week do you have it? Iíll be there on the 29th for mine too. Have you had any luck answering your questions as I too would like to know if I need to thoroughly revise the document.
I will also be there on the 29th!
No answer yet. Hopefully somebody can give us some insight into what to expect to cool our nerves!
Hows your preparation going, and what are you doing for it out of interest?
Fredh182 is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2018, 15:15
  #10435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Fredh182 View Post
Hello all!

Just found out about this thread! I am taking my Stage 3 next week and would be great if somebody could give me some tips or what to expect.
I have seen somebody earlier on posted a step-by-step of their day in Stage 2, but havent seen one for Stage 3, which would really help me!
One key question I have is regarding the document they give you to revise over in Stage 2, they ask you to do so again - Which part of the day would this be used for? Is there another multiple choice type questionnaire about it? Id rather practise for interview questions as thats my weak link, but would like to know if anybody can confirm it is important to thoroughly revise back through that document?
Originally Posted by Tracker400

Hey Fred congratulations on getting to Stage. When next week do you have it? Iíll be there on the 29th for mine too. Have you had any luck answering your questions as I too would like to know if I need to thoroughly revise the document.
A few people have had questions regarding the booklet for stage 2 and stage 3.

My advice is that you need to make sure you're decently familiar with it for both. The multiple choice paper at stage 2 is mainly there to weed out anyone who has put no effort into preparing for the day. If you have a good grasp of the concepts and could muddle your way roughly through the figures you will be fine.

For stage 3 there is no specific written test on the booklet but familiarity with it will really help during the interview. Once you've learnt it for stage 2 just make sure you're revisiting it periodically until your stage 3 to ensure you haven't forgotten big chunks.

Hope that helps
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2018, 17:40
  #10436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Daleboy93 View Post
A few people have had questions regarding the booklet for stage 2 and stage 3.

My advice is that you need to make sure you're decently familiar with it for both. The multiple choice paper at stage 2 is mainly there to weed out anyone who has put no effort into preparing for the day. If you have a good grasp of the concepts and could muddle your way roughly through the figures you will be fine.

For stage 3 there is no specific written test on the booklet but familiarity with it will really help during the interview. Once you've learnt it for stage 2 just make sure you're revisiting it periodically until your stage 3 to ensure you haven't forgotten big chunks.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the information 👍
Tracker400 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2018, 13:23
  #10437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Fredh182 View Post
I will also be there on the 29th!
No answer yet. Hopefully somebody can give us some insight into what to expect to cool our nerves!
Hows your preparation going, and what are you doing for it out of interest?
Ahh ok awesome. Nervous yet? I have to admit the preparation could be going better. I have been busy with work so havenít dedicated as much time as I could be. My plan is just to familiarise myself with the booklet they provided for stage 2 and make sure Iím happy I can answer your standard interview questions comfortably. Not sure thereís much else we can do really.
Tracker400 is offline  
Old 31st Jan 2018, 22:04
  #10438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Midlands
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Tracker400 View Post
Ahh ok awesome. Nervous yet? I have to admit the preparation could be going better. I have been busy with work so havenít dedicated as much time as I could be. My plan is just to familiarise myself with the booklet they provided for stage 2 and make sure Iím happy I can answer your standard interview questions comfortably. Not sure thereís much else we can do really.
How did you get on mate?
Unfortunately I wasnt successful. Quite disappointing they dont tell you which area, although my gut says the first 30 minutes of the interview as the questions were definitely not what I was expecting or what I have experienced before.

Just wondering if anybody here has any ideas of anywhere else you can apply to within the Industry. I am very set on going into the aviation industry, even if it means paying for training (however ideally this would be like NATS and free). Does anybody know of any other possible locations/job titles where I should apply, or know any courses that are likely to boost my chances of progressing in the future in this field?
Fredh182 is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2018, 11:23
  #10439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 29
Hi Fred,

HIAL and Air Navigation Solutions have run ab-intro courses before. Worth keeping an eye out. Further afield Eurocontrol or IAA could be an option?

IIRC, Global ATS do/did a scheme where you work as a sim pilot for 3 years, then get an ADI rating paid for you.
BARRY_SCOTT is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2018, 20:19
  #10440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Fredh182 View Post
How did you get on mate?
Unfortunately I wasnt successful. Quite disappointing they dont tell you which area, although my gut says the first 30 minutes of the interview as the questions were definitely not what I was expecting or what I have experienced before.

Just wondering if anybody here has any ideas of anywhere else you can apply to within the Industry. I am very set on going into the aviation industry, even if it means paying for training (however ideally this would be like NATS and free). Does anybody know of any other possible locations/job titles where I should apply, or know any courses that are likely to boost my chances of progressing in the future in this field?
Hey Mate. Sorry to hear you werenít successful. I had a phone call on Wednesday and was lucky enough to be offered a place with them.

It must be annoying not knowing exactly where things went wrong for you. Are you considering re-applying in 12 Months time? Barry Scott has given some good pointers. You could also think about joining the military as a Controller if that seems appealing to you?
Tracker400 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.