PDA

View Full Version : Just in Khartoum airport accident

gtaflyer
3rd Oct 2018, 14:10
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/543x724/png_image_42a8ba8eee2eda347def24515a40991587a9e696.png
Aircraft collide

India Four Two
3rd Oct 2018, 14:13
A landing accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=FHUMe6Mfkxk

From RT:

Two military transport aircraft have been destroyed in a ground collision at Khartoum International Airport, Sudan. The accident was captured on CCTV.CCTV footage shows two Sudanese military cargo planes – an Antonov 30 and Antonov 32 – landing on the same runway. Unable to avoid each other, one of the planes clips the tail of the other. Firefighters quickly arrived at the scene to extinguish the resulting blaze, Khaleej Times reported. There are currently no reported casualties.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Oct 2018, 14:21
Wow. Presumably there is no ATC there.. or, if there is, it isn't much cop?

BluSdUp
3rd Oct 2018, 14:22
One landing ,one taking off?

shorthauler72
3rd Oct 2018, 14:27
I have seen the exact same aircraft a few days ago on short final, with 300 ft between them. Thought that one might be filming the other, but obviously they were training landings in formation. At a civilian airport in the middle of the city. HSSS closed until 18:00 hrs local today.

evansb
3rd Oct 2018, 14:43
Khartoum International Airport is an airport in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan. The airport handles over 2,000,000 passengers annually, and is served by nearly 2-dozen airlines. The current facility will be replaced with a new airport 40 kilometers south of the centre of Khartoum.

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2018, 14:43
Judging by the boneyard in the background, the collision took place about two-thirds of the way along KRT's 3000 m Rwy 18. Go figure.

wiggy
3rd Oct 2018, 15:18
Judging by the formation flying comments and the TV snippet at a quick glance it looks like it could be a “Stream”/“in trail” landing gone wrong.

ex-EGLL
3rd Oct 2018, 18:50
Would that be Land After or After the Landing Bren?

MitrePeak
3rd Oct 2018, 19:08
" Hey Boris, last one back to the hotel buys the Vodka..."

MitrePeak
3rd Oct 2018, 19:11
There is ATC there

BluSdUp
3rd Oct 2018, 20:35
This reminds me of Tampere Finland a few years ago.
Great fun watching pairs of F18s taking of rwy 24.
They had two narrow red lines offset some 7 or 8 meters each side of center-line for offset tracking in case the lead rejected, I suppose!
Brilliant to watch."
Not so brilliant one day on rwy 06 when my FO was bang on the RH line on a snow covered rwy despite my call:" SenterLine "
As we flared I realized what he was up to and left him to it.
He nailed it, but was a bit concerned about the snow bank on his side.
As I corrected onto the centerline upon taking control , some nonstandard calls came from him indicating he just clued in to his slight error.
Back to Sudan.
WTF was that all about?
Formation takeoff or landing with a rather big ( wide) TP?
Any Mil Crew that can enlighten us on the advantage of this.
The dis-advantage we get!
regards
Cpt B

F-16GUY
3rd Oct 2018, 21:18
Never saw a formation T/O or LDG with a transport type before.

For fighters the contract for formation stuff (at least in our part of the world) is as follows:
-Formation T/O and LDG is always in close formation. Never 300 feet apart as mentioned above.
-Both for T/O and LDG the centerline is to be treated as a brick wall.
-RWY has to be at least 125 feet wide (F-16).
-Both aircraft have to line up on the center of their half of the RWY. (In Canada we used to do Vic formation T/O in the Hawk (3 ship - one on the centerline and one on each side). Not very clever me think).
-Wingman always on the upwind side to reduce chances of him getting into leads wash. (apparently not an issue in the Hawk.....)
-Maximum 20 KTS crosswind allowed.
-Wingman has one "push it up" or "give me one" call. If still unable to keep position he is to perform individual T/O or if during approach, to break away and perform go around on his own.
-In case of dual abort or dual brake failure, the first aircraft to reach the cable owns it. The other will turn on to the grass and eject before leaving the prepared surface (F-16 are not suitable for off-roading. They tend to break the nose wheel, dig in, collapse the cockpit around the pilot, flip upside-down and ignite).
-Mixed type (ie. F-16 with Mirage) T/O and landing not allowed.
-Configuration or weight which gives T/O or LDG speed difference of more then 10 KTS not allowed.

Obviously display teams do it differently, but their formation training level is much higher then the average squadron pilot.

For reduced spacing landing of the same formation members, the following apply:
-At least 3000 feet landing separation (day VMC).
-All formation members to acknowledge which side of the RWY is slow/cold side (if not stated by airfield SOP or if non standard).
-All formation members to move to slow/cold side as soon as safe to do so.
-When moving over to slow/cold side, no part of aircraft to be on hot side of centerline.
-Slow/cold side will normally be to the same side as the taxiway where the aircraft clears the RWY.
-If for some reason the hot side needs to be crossed when clearing the RWY, it can only be done after all formation members have called "safe speed".

rudolf
3rd Oct 2018, 23:16
I used to fly 5-ship C130, take-off was all aircraft on the runway and if I recall correctly 30s stream which allowed time for following aircraft to stop if someone in front had a problem. Landing was a break and then cleared to land in sequence, the runway didn't have to be clear but those in front would keep rolling and move to the side.

F-16GUY
4th Oct 2018, 20:32
I used to fly 5-ship C130, take-off was all aircraft on the runway and if I recall correctly 30s stream which allowed time for following aircraft to stop if someone in front had a problem. Landing was a break and then cleared to land in sequence, the runway didn't have to be clear but those in front would keep rolling and move to the side.

rudolf,

What was the required landing seperation between the Hercs? And was there any limit on how wide the RWY had to be?

suninmyeyes
4th Oct 2018, 21:51
I wonder if the aircraft in front was on its takeoff roll and then aborted? Otherwise “land after” has a different interpretation out there!

Big Enos Burdette
5th Oct 2018, 04:50
Landing video

Some serious oscillations after touchdown.

lucille
5th Oct 2018, 05:35
These are Eastern bloc crews and operators in Africa. They operate completely unhindered by any rules or structure. I guess they’re enjoying their new found freedom away from whatever totalitarian regime they have back home. Sometimes I envy their insouciance.

Nemrytter
5th Oct 2018, 07:32
Pprune: The place where no-one has realised the cold war is a distant memory.

fdr
5th Oct 2018, 09:43
Pprune: The place where no-one has realised the cold war is a distant memory.

Not "is", "WAS". We have entered a new cold war in the last few years, and if anything the geopolitical/resource/environmental situation is much worse than 1989.

Great video footage though. a couple more circuits like that and the team would become aces. #2 at least gets to score 2 kills.

AN2 Driver
5th Oct 2018, 14:52
Frankly, looking at the 2nd video I really wonder what went through their mind. They should have gone around after the fist touch (probably before even). But it sais something for the airplane that it did not break into pieces after the 2nd bounce... scary as hell. Ok, it was training but then, that means there would have had to be an instructor on board, why the hell did they not abort the landing?

#2 at least gets to score 2 kills.

You mean he killed two planes? Or two people? Is the outcome known regarding the lives of the crew? I guess the crew of the 1st plane had chances, but the 2nd one?

Bigpants
5th Oct 2018, 16:11
Funny, but normally my sense of self preservation takes over when presented with a clear opportunity to kill myself in broad daylight on a 3000m long runway.

Clearly these pilots are not put off by the imminent possibility of death, impressed!.

fatbus
5th Oct 2018, 20:45
Making light of a serious crash with , more than likely, loss of life is of poor judgment!

fdr
5th Oct 2018, 22:11
Making light of a serious crash with , more than likely, loss of life is of poor judgment!

FB; I would contend that nothing serious was going on in either of these aircraft.

Back in the day when I was doing formation landings in small jets and stream landings in larger jets, it is standard practice for lead to offset to the cold side to ensure trail has a hot lane to use in the event of a stopping issue. That is one of the determinants whether a runway is suitable for the operations, which is also leads responsibility. It is also the responsibility of the aircraft in front to not stop on the runway or otherwise be a speed bump.

The second aircraft logged numerous landings on their attempt to break their plane. they made the point moot by trying to share the same place as #1.

One assumes the crew on these aircraft had passed some training course in basic flying, sufficient to achieve a set of wings. thereafter presumably they achieved sufficient experience in a RHS to qualify for command in said aircraft. They also presumably had training somewhere on formation, and also on landing aircraft.

There are no reported fatalities, there are two "probables" destroyed aircraft = 2/5 of the way to being an ace from Blue on Blue.

Serious crash? The planes should have had red noses on. As should AZ214, JT904, PX73, unmentionables521 etc. Nothing serious going on in front of the cockpit door on those aircraft.

Causation has changed somewhat over the years in aviation. Military aviation still loses more people and equipment in training than in combat. Civil accidents still occur from human factors, but there is a rise in failings from lack of basic competencies, to which end regulatory bandaids have had little rational basis for mitigating.

If there had been some seriousness anywhere in the event in Khartoum, then there would not have been the blooper video outcome.

cheers

Afrijet
6th Oct 2018, 02:38
These are Eastern bloc crews and operators in Africa. They operate completely unhindered by any rules or structure. I guess they’re enjoying their new found freedom away from whatever totalitarian regime they have back home. Sometimes I envy their insouciance.

dude, they operate that way out of afrika too.