PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet MPL 2017

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

EGPF
25th Apr 2017, 15:39
Flight Schools: (That are linked with the Generation easyJet Program)

L3CTS:
Link to application page - L3CTS. (https://www.l3airlineacademy.com/easyJet-application-selection)

CAE Oxford:
Link to application page - CAE Oxford. (http://www.caeoaa.com/easyjet/how-to-apply/#.WS7042jyuUk).

FTZ Jarez:
No information available.

JackVince
26th Apr 2017, 07:17
Same here. I look forward to it! :)

o_rey28
26th Apr 2017, 10:32
That'll be a good question to ask during the live Q&A tomorrow!

o_rey28
26th Apr 2017, 10:34
A question: Does anyone have an idea of when training starts?[/QUOTE]

That'll be a good question for the live Q&A tomorrow!

ScotWings
26th Apr 2017, 11:10
Hi there. If it's anything like last year, applications opened at the beginning of May 2016, and training start dates were staggered between about December 2016, and June 2017.

EGPF
26th Apr 2017, 14:07
A question: Does anyone have an idea of when training starts?

That'll be a good question for the live Q&A tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder! I hope the timing is good though.

Scotwings, thanks!

Kalvb123, thanks, good luck with stage 3! Do let us know how it went.

gbotley
27th Apr 2017, 11:31
It would appear this scheme is being run in a similar way to the BA FPP where all schools share applicant data as the following now applies:

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING RE-APPLICATIONS TO THE CTC WINGS GENERATION EASYJET PILOT TRAINING PROGRAMME. WE WILL ALSO NOT BE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM THOSE WHO HAVE APPLIED UNSUCCESSFULLY TO OTHER APPROVED TRAINING PROVIDERS OF THE GENERATION EASYJET PILOT TRAINING PROGRAMME. Please be advised that easyJet will only be able to accept one application per person [regardless of training provider]

Best of luck all those planning to apply this time around.

s5147
27th Apr 2017, 14:22
When they say that they will not be accepting re-applications does this mean that they will not be accepting applicant who were unsuccessful from previous years?

I'm relatively new to the scene and as such haven't applied before. Having read the above I'm concerned as to whether to apply now and see how I go, or wait until I'm in a more financially and educationally stable position before applying.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Chris the Robot
27th Apr 2017, 16:26
Firstly, you need, from what I can tell, to be able to afford the programme, I've followed the 2016 thread loosely and I haven't seen much discussion around the loan guarantee that Easyjet says they offer to the strongest candidates. Perhaps the Q&A will have reveal how many received that funding last year?

Otherwise, it's a tricky one. On one hand, the industry would appear to be pretty strong at the moment though the potential impact from Brexit is unknown. On the other hand, if you wait and it opens next year with the same rule, a lot of very capable people won't be applying and there's only going to be so many people who are interested in the programme, able to afford it, yet very strong applicants.

For the record, I currently have no intention of applying since I'm on a totally different training programme altogether that has little to do with aviation.

ManUtd1999
27th Apr 2017, 17:23
The facebook Q&A was quite informative. Loan guarantees appear to be on offer for "particularly outstanding" candidates. However, Flexicrew still seems to be in operation for UK based cadets. Rumours on here suggested is was being scrapped but this appears not to be the case....

Genuinley torn whether to apply. On one hand it's a great opportunity and the finance might be do-able (I'd apply on the basis of onyl accepting an offer with loan guarantee). On the other, 100,000 is a massive loan to have and a zero-hours contract doesn't offer much by way of financial security.....

Does anyone have any up-to-date figures on Flexicrew rates?

EGPF
27th Apr 2017, 20:53
Thanks you very much for your insight Kalvb123! Best of luck to you as well.

ManUtd1999
27th Apr 2017, 21:01
As for comments about the 'zero hours' contract, there is no indication of this style of recruitment. After talking to the recruiters recently at my Stage 3 assessment, easyJet treat the flexicrew cadets the same as any other employee and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The flexicrew contract only pays cadets by the hour when they are required to fly (or standby). You have no minimum hours and no salary if you're not needed for whatever reason. By definition, that is a zero-hours contract. As you point out, this only applies to the UK, but you don't get any say on your intial base.

It's good to here EZY treat their cadets well and makes the scheme more appealing. The fact remains though that if they removed Flexicrew and I knew they'd help out with a loan guarantee, I'd apply without hestitating. As it is, I'm really not sure.

sara98
27th Apr 2017, 22:07
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING RE-APPLICATIONS TO THE CTC WING GENERATION EASYJET PILOT PROGRAMME. WE WILL ALSO NOT BE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM THOSE WHO HAVE APPLIED UNSUCCESSFULLY TO OTHER APPROVED TRAINING PROVIDERS OF THE GENERATION EASYJET PILOT TRAINING PROGRAMME. Please be advised that easyJet will only be able to accept one application per person [regardless of training provider]
I had a go with CAE but I was unsuccessful at stage 2 so, from what I can see, I am not allowed to apply to CTC this time. However, I am wondering why it is like this with CTC while with CAE it is still possible to reapply and resit stage 2 again as dates are available!! Any clue?

EGPF
27th Apr 2017, 22:23
I don't think CAE have updated their information yet as on close inspection, the application page states;
"...stage 2 of the Assessment and Selection process taking place from October 2016. Enrolment for courses will commence from Spring 2017."
Could be a mistake though.

sara98
27th Apr 2017, 22:46
I have just double-checked CAE website and in their "How to apply" section -> "Eligibility Requirements" they state "The programme is only open to new applications" but I know for sure that applicants who failed stage 2 six months ago can still reapply to resit it!!

gbotley
27th Apr 2017, 23:41
@s5147 - Correct, although if you've previously applied to an EasyJet MPL before it was rebranded to Generation EasyJet then you are able to apply according to CTC.

@sara98 - Based on the last years intakes, CTC and OAA opened their schemes at different times.. so maybe OAA is yet to be considered in 'year two' of the program.. who knows?!

It would appear, from CTC's Q&A, loan guarantees are offered to those performing well compared with peers in selection but must also posses the required A levels or Degree too!

sara98
28th Apr 2017, 13:43
.. so maybe OAA is yet to be considered in 'year two' of the program..

Sorry, what do you mean by that? OAA is currently recruiting cadets for the Generation easyJet!

And, as far as you know, has the restriction (no reapplications allowed) been imposed by easyJet or has it been introduced by CTC?

EGPF
28th Apr 2017, 13:49
The re-application rule has probably came from easyJet as in the CTC page it says it won't accept re-applications regardless of which FTO you applied with.

EGPF
28th Apr 2017, 14:29
Im not saying this is accurate but my answer to that is that they've not updated their information yet as said above.

sara98
28th Apr 2017, 15:47
What is the reasoning behind allowing OAA applicants to reapply via OAA but not allowing them to reapply via CTC?

They both lead to the same right hand seat in the same aircraft belonging to the exact same company.
Exactly! It's such a weird thing!

gbotley
28th Apr 2017, 21:44
@sarah98

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough, but CTC Aviation opened their very first application window or at least announced it in June 2016. Oxford didn't do the same until October 2016. That's four months out. With CTC Aviation having closed the scheme a few months ago I would consider it opening again as the second application window for the scheme... i.e. it's second run. I'm speculating here, but I very much doubt that CTC Aviation would have the names of previous OAA applicants without the airlines involvement in the process somewhere. So, if you'd previously applied to OAA and try to apply to CTC Aviation this year then I imagine CTC Aviation would have your name on a list.

In respect of OAA, I imagine it incredibly likely that when Oxford eventually close/re-open the scheme that the particulars will change to match in the sense that previous CTC Aviation applicants can't then re-apply at Oxford either. It'll be as simple as that. Generation easyJet appears to be easyJet taking more control over their program than the former MPLs. It seemed like a very managed launch across the various training organisations last year and, given the cost for a selection event, I can't imagine it being the schools putting these restrictions in place themselves.

Efato75kts
29th Apr 2017, 08:29
I just received an email that application window is now open.
I applied last year for the MPL for EZY ,not generation one (I do not know if matters). I attended the pilapt test at Dibden but was not successful.

My question is , they sent me the rejection email last year stating

"We can advise you that upon further review of your assessment results, you are eligible to reapply to this programme again in 6 months."

Does that mean I am eligible to apply even though they state re applications are not accepted?

gbotley
29th Apr 2017, 09:34
I applied last year for the MPL for EZY, not generation one. Does that mean I am eligible to apply even though they state re applications are not accepted?

Quoting the Facebook Q&A you can only apply to easyJet again should you have previously applied prior to it becoming generation easyJet. So if you simply applied to the MPL before these 3 routes came about then you'll be able to apply this time with no issues.

Jenna_Aviatrix
29th Apr 2017, 12:14
I'm confused guys.....unlike efato75kts, I DID apply for the generation easyjet (GEPTP) last year...I passed everything except the final interview (impatient interviewer) and then got this email the day after saying:

"Thank you for attending your recent Generation easyJet Pilot Training Programme non-technical skills assessment day.

Following a careful review of your results, we regret to advise that you did not meet the standard required on this occasion to be considered for a place on the programme.

We understand that this will be disappointing news and can advise you that upon further review of your assessment results, you are eligible to reapply in 6 months."

It doesn't say that it has to be the WINGS that I can only apply for in this email. Written like it is leads me to believe that I can reapply!?!?!?

It's been exactly 6 months for me as well as that was back on 28th October 2016 I got this email.

gbotley
29th Apr 2017, 14:28
@Jenna_Aviatrix

Back when I was applying to schemes the 6 month window was related to when you could reapply for Wings or the same program so long as you continued to meet the criteria when it reopened.

The airlines can change things up from time to time and easyJet are by no means alone as Flybe made alterations to their financial arrangements for their latest MPL intake. In the case of easyJet though, the shift to Generation EasyJet was a rather big change and, for whatever reason, they have altered the criteria for its second run to exclude past applicants. Whether this is a temporary or more permanent change remains to be seen. As disappointing as it sounds, there's not a lot we can do at this point and my best advice would be to call CTC Aviation directly on Monday. I feel that nobody on PPRuNe will be able to provide you the answer you're looking for and that the guys at the school will be best placed on this occasion.

P.S. remember that easyJet are only one of many airlines out there that run this types of program. :)

Efato75kts
29th Apr 2017, 15:04
I will ring in on Monday and get full details

Jenna_Aviatrix
29th Apr 2017, 15:30
Yeah I'll definitely be calling them on Monday Gbotley :). If they say anything different to what we already know, I'll let you guys know

FlyVeryHigh-
29th Apr 2017, 16:10
Can anyone shed any light on whether any males have been successful in having their loan underwritten by ezy? I'm confused as to how they market the Amy Johnson initiative for females, then also say they will underwrite loans for outstanding applicants?

EGPF
1st May 2017, 22:05
On a side note: apparently there is going to be a new series called "easyJet: Inside the Cockpit" which will look into the training provided by CTC for easyJet cadets to the point where they become first officers! Sounds truly intresting for those planning to apply next year maybe, and it's going to be on ITV.
Source: Realscreen » Archive » ITV books ticket with ?easyJet: Inside the Cockpit? (http://realscreen.com/2016/11/03/itv-books-ticket-with-easyjet-inside-the-cockpit/)

ManUtd1999
3rd May 2017, 19:07
Can anyone help out with some up-to-date salaries for Easyjet FOs?

1) Pilot Jobs Network states a SO salary of 43900. Is this the salary UK based cadets go onto once they get off Flexicrew?

2) At Flyer a few weeks back CTC said that the 69,000 bond is repaid to you over 7 years if/when given a permanent contract in the UK. Is this repaid on top of salary or as a tax free allowance (eg, your "salary" is reduced to 32000 + ~10,000 bond)

Diving_Aviator
3rd May 2017, 19:30
Long time lurker, finally sent off my application for Easy today... From what I've read in the previous Easy MPL thread, both of those statements are correct:

1) Flexicrew might not exist by the time you get there.

2) It does give you a slight tax advantage, but then... it's your own money being paid back as part of your salary

Good luck to everyone else applying this year!

momo95
3rd May 2017, 19:34
For the CTC bond your salary gets reduced by £1,000/month and you are then "repaid" your training bond on top of the remainder. At least that is how it was explained to me by CTC

Edit: Just to add CTC didn't come straight to the point and say your salary was reduced, they said you are put on a different contract when you become permanent and the new salary is essentially low 30s ... i added 2 and 2 together

ManUtd1999
3rd May 2017, 20:42
For the CTC bond your salary gets reduced by £1,000/month and you are then "repaid" your training bond on top of the remainder. At least that is how it was explained to me by CTC

This is how I thought it worked aswell.

It's worth pointing out aswell that no cadets have actually graduated through the Generation Easyjet scheme yet. It's therefore hard to know exactly what terms are going to be offered and when.

Anyone else's info on this is much appreciated!

when I finish training (2019)

On that note, early 2019 also happens to be the date the UK leaves the EU. Without wishing to be too negative or turn this into a political thread, that carries signifcant risk of an economic downturn, at which point all bets are off as to what potential T&C's would look like anyway. Needles to sa this is a worst case scenario but it's one worth considering given the sums of money involved.

jswift98
3rd May 2017, 21:28
how come the easyjet selection day is over two day, how is it split? Do you have to pass day 1 in order to get through to day 2?

ScotWings
3rd May 2017, 22:15
Yeah, if it's the same as last year, you need to pass day 1 (technical) to be invited to day 2 (interview and group task)

doz111
4th May 2017, 10:22
Can anyone help out with some up-to-date salaries for Easyjet FOs?

1) Pilot Jobs Network states a SO salary of 43900. Is this the salary UK based cadets go onto once they get off Flexicrew?

2) At Flyer a few weeks back CTC said that the 69,000 bond is repaid to you over 7 years if/when given a permanent contract in the UK. Is this repaid on top of salary or as a tax free allowance (eg, your "salary" is reduced to 32000 + ~10,000 bond)

1) Yes
2) Tax free allowance. Your salary is reduced by the exact amount of bond repayments you will receive

EGPF
16th May 2017, 11:25
EasyJet has posted an article on pilot career live announcing that they will be having the biggest ever recruitment drive as of June, they will be recruiting 450 new pilots!

They have also released salary information;
"Cadet Scheme £40k-£50k
Second Officer £40k-£50k
First Officer £54k-£58k
Senior First Officer £66k-£75K
Captain £114k-£146k
easyJet note: The total reward package includes flexible rosters, basic pay, on target bonus and sector pay and other allowances plus employment benefits such as pension. All these ranges are based on pilots working full-time. There will also be part-time (at 75%) and fixed rosters (paid at 90%) contracts available."

Article: https://www.pilotcareernews.com/easyjet-launches-biggest-ever-pilot-recruitment-drive/

planesandthings
16th May 2017, 19:31
Marketing drivel again, What isn't mentioned is despite all this growth,profit and celebration, they still expect up to £130,000 to be borne by the cadet if you want to join the ranks. Who wanted to buy a house anyway?

Clearly Brexit obviously isn't worrying them as they made out to be.

Another kick in the teeth for many of us :ugh:

ManUtd1999
16th May 2017, 20:17
"Cadet Scheme £40k-£50k
Second Officer £40k-£50k
First Officer £54k-£58k
Captain £114k-£146k
easyJet note: The total reward package includes flexible rosters, basic pay, on target bonus and sector pay and other allowances plus employment benefits such as pension. All these ranges are based on pilots working full-time. There will also be part-time (at 75%) and fixed rosters (paid at 90%) contracts available."

By my calculations based on the Flexicrew rates mentioned on here a cadet would have to fly 900hrs and get a further 4-5 standbys a month to earn 40,000 year 1. That seems quite unlikely, but perhaps the pay scales have changed (fingers crossed)

Marketing drivel again, What isn't mentioned is despite all this growth,profit and celebration, they still expect up to £130,000 to be borne by the cadet if you want to join the ranks. Who wanted to buy a house anyway?

Agree 100%. Especially seeing as BBVA pulling out of the loan market would appear to have torpedo'ed any chance of a loan guarantee.

Speedbird148
16th May 2017, 20:56
The skeptic in me would be hesitant around "Total Reward Package". As I know from my current non-aviation employer that my Total Reward Package paints a much nicer picture than my take home salary.

gbotley
16th May 2017, 22:36
ManUtd1999, wouldn't worry about loan guarantee. Airlines can and do use other banks. Virgin for example didn't go anywhere near BBVA, at least for their most recent entrants.

FlyVeryHigh-
16th May 2017, 23:07
By my calculations based on the Flexicrew rates mentioned on here a cadet would have to fly 900hrs and get a further 4-5 standbys a month to earn 40,000 year 1. That seems quite unlikely, but perhaps the pay scales have changed (fingers crossed)

Agree 100%. Especially seeing as BBVA pulling out of the loan market would appear to have torpedo'ed any chance of a loan guarantee.

I know this is discussed in another thread but not really sure whats happening with BBVA at the moment, they are currently listed as an option for financing with OAA for the CityJet scheme which recently opened, so from that I'd hazard a guess they're still in the game for the time being anyway.

Pal of mine on the line at LGW with EZY and went the EZY/CTC MPL route. He's struggling for money with loan repayments of around £1,000 a month and renting around the LGW area - sunny Crawley; although now it's coming into the summer season he'll be doing better.

KayPam
16th May 2017, 23:09
If EZY is to recruit 450 pilots, does that mean they will have to recruit modular students from other schools than the big 3 ?

FlyVeryHigh-
16th May 2017, 23:25
Probably a mix of the big 3 and direct entry/ATPL or fATPL holders.

sara98
17th May 2017, 00:51
EasyJet has posted an article on pilot career live announcing that they will be having the biggest ever recruitment drive as of June, they will be recruiting 450 new pilots!

"Cadet Scheme £40k-£50k
Second Officer £40k-£50k
First Officer £54k-£58k
Captain £114k-£146k

Article: https://www.pilotcareernews.com/easy...uitment-drive/

The announcement states that "At the beginning of June, the low-cost airline will be launching a recruitment drive for up to 450 new pilots in a campaign it calls ‘For the love of Flying’."
Do you have any idea whether "For the love of Flying" will be run as a separate program from the "Generation easyJet" or not? Could it just be a new way to call basically the same programme?
However, that "At the beginning of June" sounds a bit weird to me since CTC will stop accepting applications for the Generation easyJet exactly at the beginning of June (4 June)!!

J380
17th May 2017, 11:46
The facebook Q&A was quite informative. Loan guarantees appear to be on offer for "particularly outstanding" candidates. However, Flexicrew still seems to be in operation for UK based cadets. Rumours on here suggested is was being scrapped but this appears not to be the case....

Genuinley torn whether to apply. On one hand it's a great opportunity and the finance might be do-able (I'd apply on the basis of onyl accepting an offer with loan guarantee). On the other, 100,000 is a massive loan to have and a zero-hours contract doesn't offer much by way of financial security.....

Does anyone have any up-to-date figures on Flexicrew rates?

I'd be doing exactly the same to be honest. In all honesty I don't think the BBVA loan would be an option so I'm torn between applying on the chance of a guarantee or waiting for Aer Lingus to reopen. I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do

ScotWings
17th May 2017, 13:50
Do you have any idea whether "For the love of Flying" will be run as a separate program from the "Generation easyJet" or not? Could it just be a new way to call basically the same programme?
However, that "At the beginning of June" sounds a bit weird to me since CTC will stop accepting applications for the Generation easyJet exactly at the beginning of June (4 June)!!

I wouldn't get too worried about the name of the scheme.

I applied this time last year to the original easyJet MPL at CTC, and in between my two assessment dates, they launched the 'Generation easyJet' scheme. When I got accepted, I got accepted onto the Generation easyJet MPL.

Millasaurus
17th May 2017, 14:55
easyJet are getting rid of flexicrew, so there is a chance that cadets will go straight onto permanent contracts in the UK, but that remains to be seen. That would explain the salary though, as well as the fact it was increased in roughly October 2016 I believe.

EGPF
17th May 2017, 17:49
"Once they have completed as least 12 months, pilots then join easyJet as permanent employees at Second Officer rank for a further 12 months."

From Article: https://www.pilotcareernews.com/easyjet-launches-biggest-ever-pilot-recruitment-drive/

ManUtd1999
17th May 2017, 19:11
I'd be doing exactly the same to be honest. In all honesty I don't think the BBVA loan would be an option so I'm torn between applying on the chance of a guarantee or waiting for Aer Lingus to reopen. I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do

I'm currently leaning towards waiting. There is quite a lot of uncertainty atm with the loans and contract on offer. Regardless, the Aer Lingus scheme is in a different league to this one, the downside being the chances of getting in are tiny.

Easyjet are not going to find 300+ cadets in this CTC application window. It might well re-open later this year or in early 2018. Then there's OAA which seems to be permanently open but I guess coudl be re-launched at some point. My current thinking is to wait, apply for EI and maybe Virgin, then look at Easyjet.

Officer Kite
17th May 2017, 19:49
There are more chances out there than the ones mentioned, and costing a lot less.

I spent 3 years of my life solely focusing on CTC/OAA as though they were the only ones in existence and as if their cadet programmes are the only ones on the planet.

A friend of mine meanwhile applied to BAA and got in on the wizzair scheme (£52k + bonded TR) ... I applied and got smartlynx (£52k + £20k TR), There is the opportunity to spend £75k less if you get wizz and £50k less if you get smartlynx - in comparison to easyJet ... to fly the exact same aircraft.

Broaden your horizons, the world does not revolve around easyjet, ctc and oaa. And also, BAA have not acted with secrecy or treated me as though I am a nuisance to them, they are fully open about their process and are genuinely happy and ready to answer any queries at anytime - that is the polar opposite to the 'big 3'.

Good luck to you all - you will get there with the right determination.

J380
18th May 2017, 08:34
Thanks for that, I didn't even know about the BAA options (funny how the well marketed schemes make you think they're the only ones out there). Couldn't agree more with your statements above. Did you take the Smartlynx option?

Officer Kite
18th May 2017, 11:10
I certainly did, it is a bargain that I would have been very foolish to refuse. I've got my A320 at the end of it as motivation throughout it all, absolutely no additional benefits are present with the ludicrously priced 'generation easyJet' or whatever else they're calling it now.

Often times people say to forget integrated in the big schools and go the modular (self improver route) and save a tonne of cash. But from what I am gathering, one of the best things that can happen is that you go modular then are lucky enough to gain employment with Ryanair. So I've done some sums on this.

Going modular will at best cost around £50k (providing you mix and match schools and stick to some of the better known modular schools with established reputations like stapleford, bartolini etc).

Then the Ryanair TR is around 29,000 euro i believe (so £25k).

That is a total of £75k. Which is about £3k more than the smartlynx offer via BAA.

So in essence, it is integrated training, with the airline's backing (airline letter of engagement etc have been received) ... at a modular training price. There is also no stress of going modular and having to go to different schools, and the ever present question throughout the whole thing of "will this even be worth it?". Going through all that effort with nothing solid at the end of it just wasn't for me. Though I have the utmost respect for those who are doing it.

Best of luck to all !

Geccouk93
18th May 2017, 14:22
To help clarify the matter on reapplying. I applied last year, got through to Stage 2. I passed the maths but failed PILAPT by 1 mark. I have since reapplied with the new application this year on the date the applications opened (didn't bother reading whether I could or not, I saw the apply now button and got excited) and I had to state that I had applied last year, and state my old application number. I got an email yesterday asking me to book to retake my PILAPT. So if someone has applied previously, just complete a new application and try again this year! Whats the worst that's going to happen - they tell you no and that you have to wait. The best? They offer you a date for the next stage.

BAe 146-100
18th May 2017, 16:40
But to be fair easyJet and Ryanair are huge scheduled airlines with a proven track record of hiring zero hours pilots and providing them with top training, and you know unless you royally screw things up you will pretty much have a job at the end at a secure company. Adding to that, one of these 2 on your cv will do you no harm in the long run, and I don't work for these airlines so I have zero bias.

Smartlynx is a acmi with 9 aircraft with no real bases, they work on behalf of other airlines, your entering the unknown so to speak with the program and the training,, you hardly can compare them to RYR and EZY on the stability of the job offer or the track record. Your the first ones, it could go brilliantly or be a damp squib.

AA757
18th May 2017, 19:47
Exactly, that's the truth and anyone interested in SmartLynx should be extra careful. From what I've heard, the salary is 100 per day + 50 euros, so circa 3000eur gross, if you're working full time. This is assuming that SmartLynx has enough demand from other airlines.

Another thing to consider (I'm not saying it's a good thing) is the reputation of the school. If you wish to move back to Europe, I'm pretty sure that many respectable airlines will look down on eastern european schools and would choose someone from CTC over someone from BAA all other things considered equal.

Officer Kite
18th May 2017, 21:21
BAE 146 ... I see your point. With regards stability, it is hard to argue Ryanair and easyJet don't offer some of the most stable contracts around. However having said that, Smartlynx currently have 12 aircraft and another 3 soon to join the fleet. They have existed since 1992 (so older than easyJet actually) and seem to have negotiated every financial downturn in between then and now quite successfully. Further to this, they must be doing something right considering their clients are currently Monarch, Thomas Cook, easyJet, El Al, TUI Fly Belgium and they previously have done some flights for Ryanair too. These are not Mickey Mouse contracts. So there must be something about them. Having worked in the industry I know just how rigorous and stringent the audits are when it comes to trying to be awarded a wet lease contract. It is anything but easy, SmartLynx have a proven track record of managing to deliver to these top airlines every time though. I have no reason to believe they are any less "safe" or whatever other term people may use about them in comparison to say CityJet, who also operate mostly in the acmi business and who only 16 months ago were preparing for liquidation.

If you're still unsatisfied cos smartlynx aren't a big name, then how about wizz? I have coursemates doing their programme and they are spending even less than me :)

AA757 ... I'm not sure what you mean by when I "come back to Europe" ? Can you please clarify? Training takes place in Europe at an Easa approved school, flying for a European based airline who currently only fly for European airlines (except El Al).

Regarding applying to an airline and them taking issue with where you trained, for a starters BAA is not one of those schools, and besides I'm on a cadet programme so the job is there anyway. If you're referring to if I would like to leave smarlynx then I'd have issues, it's quite naive to think an airline would take issue with where you trained if you pass your sim assessment and have say 2000 A320 hrs under your belt. As for smartlynx, my research shows their ex pilots currently fly for Aer Lingus, Emirates and a number of other household names :)

As for salary concerns ... €30,000 is what I believe new Ryanair FOs expect so no concerns there with what I'll be on ... and hotels are provided for us by the company wherever we are based to be used on days on and off if we so wish, roster is 6 on 4 off so good chances of being able to commute if I get one of the UK or Belgium contracts :)

I'm pretty sure that many respectable airlines will look down on eastern european schools

May I ask if you have any aviation related experience? Like have you ever actually worked in flight ops or where you may get a chance to see what airlines do or don't want? What you've said and I've quoted doesn't reflect that of an informed opinion.

BAe 146-100
18th May 2017, 21:58
Further to this, they must be doing something right considering their clients are currently Monarch, Thomas Cook, easyJet, El Al, TUI Fly Belgium and they previously have done some flights for Ryanair too. These are not Mickey Mouse contracts. So there must be something about them. Having worked in the industry I know just how rigorous and stringent the audits are when it comes to trying to be awarded a wet lease contract. It is anything but easy, SmartLynx have a proven track record of managing to deliver to these top airlines every time though

Your slightly missing my point. I was was referring to the facts they have no track record in a integrated scheme and putting them in successful employment like RYR or EZY, that is what you should be focused on. This is the first time they ran a scheme, and for one of a better word you guys are being trialed.

So instead of opting (or trying to opt if you pass) a tried and tested RYR or EZY scheme, this scheme with Smart lynx is not tried and tested.

Also to add this type of airlines (along with Avion and Small planet) regularly recruit on 6 month summer contracts only because there is not enough work to go round all throughout the year, while RYR and EZY is a 365 days a year operation.

It is good if it works out fine, but it can no way be compared to those airlines schemes at the moment with no track record to look back on.

Officer Kite
18th May 2017, 22:38
To the best of my knowledge, Ryanair guys and easyJet are on much lower hours in winter months too. Receiving very little pay in numerous circumstances, there is not much of an additional benefit in that regard I'm afraid. My current airline are very well known and also in the acmi business, before Christmas I bumped into a pilot I know doing office work. Why? He hadn't been flying for 3 weeks because there was no work, he offered to help in the office. And I can guarantee you that you would recommend applying to a cadet scheme for this carrier.

I'm not aware of smartlynx running a 6 month contract with anyone yet but I will admit I don't know 100%. However if they did, we aren't on that. They would obviously reduce the temporary guys in winter and stick to permanent contract guys for the hours that are available.

And you keep speaking about a Ryanair scheme, they haven't got one as far as I'm aware. I simply used them to demonstrate how this integrated course leading to a job costs less than going modular and without all the hassle. They have a programme for people who already took the plunge and got their license self sponsored. If you're saying getting your license self sponsored on the hope of getting Ryanair is better than a cadetship with an airline who have proven themselves capable in the industry then we have very different ideas of what makes sense and what doesn't.

As for easyJet, they would have cost me £50,000 more. Do you realise I can get my license and open a business with those savings? Smartlynx may not be the most famous or have a track record (simply because they are new to this, nothing bad has been said about them by any pilot who flies for them that I managed to get in contact with, there is absolutely no reason to suggest we're all gonna be shot after the TR), but to suggest spending £50,000 more to fly an orange A320 over a white one is a bit remiss.

Current smartlynx guys are nearing the end of ground school at BAA. The airline have been engaged and supportive is what I'm hearing from the first group. Yes of course we won't know the full outcome until the end, but I think the tones here are nigh on scaremongering. Those reading this and not commenting will be smart enough to read and spot the truth in it all. My post was intended for them. There will of course always be a number who think easyJet will give them everything no one else can ... whilst they leave them £50,000 out of pocket for no perceived extra benefit.

I wish you all goodnight! :)

UberPilot
19th May 2017, 02:05
You're not spending 50k more just to fly an orange 320 instead of a white one; you're spending the extra money to join a FTSE 100 company with continued forecast growth, a potential command after 6 years and world wide recognised training. Not to mention bases in western Europe, pension, security etc

Chris the Robot
19th May 2017, 08:25
The six year command at EZY is no doubt one of the big selling points (if it is still the case), though I do hear a lot of dissatisfaction about the roster, which I believe is 5/4/5/2. I do shift work outside of aviation and I'm on a 4/3 which is better. Out of interest, what is the typical duty hours per week of someone at Easyjet? It's probably not too much of a worry for cadets but fast forward 10 years with the proverbial house, spouse and 2.2 kids I can see it becoming a sticking point.

Most of the airlines which offer better rosters don't take DECs as far as I know, so it presents an interesting dilemma between a large pay cut (from what is arguably a very good salary) and toughing it out. I know there's a reduced hours option but the pay and hours reduction aren't proportionate.

Officer Kite
19th May 2017, 09:09
You're not spending 50k more just to fly an orange 320 instead of a white one; you're spending the extra money to join a FTSE 100 company with continued forecast growth, a potential command after 6 years and world wide recognised training. Not to mention bases in western Europe, pension, security etc

You are paying for your training, it's somewhat absurd to think you are paying towards the airline. By all means pay it, you clearly haven't worked for that £125,000 otherwise you would take exception to it and want to know where it is going. This is flight training, not a restaurant. Higher costs don't quite equate to better training in all circumstances. You get taught how to fly and once you go to a competent enough school there is no difference. Unless you want t to say you went to Oxford ... coming back to those who clearly do not know just what £125,000 is. You appear to be a victim of the hype they create. CTC and OAA charge more cos they know the likes of you will pay it. I hope they start charging £150k.

Command at 6 years? Not anymore from current easyjet pilots I have spoken to.

You're so focused on easyJet? No problem. Has it occurred to you that you can train for £50k less, get 500hrs and within the year join easyJet as direct entry? You would have saved a fortune and have the exact same job as those who were too blind to see that they were paying so much more just for a name.

Go and speak to any pilot in the business, I am fairly certain they will react with shock and horror when they hear £125,000. Then try and justify it to them with "but it's CTC, they give the best training so they charge a lot". They will tell you the rest.

BAe 146-100
19th May 2017, 10:16
But what is true that the offer was so bad you applied for them before and was rejected, not sour grapes surely!!

I wonder what you would say now if you was in your orange A320, my guess is a bit different.

UberPilot
19th May 2017, 11:58
I'm well aware of the situation at eJ having been here for 4 years! The fact is you are not just paying for training, you are paying a premium for a certain as you'll find a guarantee of a job with one of the most secure airlines in europe! I can assure you that 6 years is not unrealistic for command at the moment either.

Look, everyone makes different choices for different reasons, but the "my license is just the same as yours" or "my 320 is just the same as yours" is only valid to a certain extent. You pay a premium for these courses as you know wherever you start with ej, within 1-2 years if you so wish you can be based anywhere in western europe in a city of your choice and if you work hard have a command after 3500 hours. That's the bottom line.

If your aim is to be at ej in CDG/LGW or SXF etc then trying to save 50k and run the risk of having to apply as a DEFO seems a little silly...

ben78
19th May 2017, 13:24
Sorry but first, saying airlines are first gonna look at ctc after baa once you got hours is not knowing anything about this industry. What matters is hours that's it. You're just trying to convince yourself ctc is better than anything else in any case. Plus I don't know you guys but do you realise what it is 50k Pound???? For what job secured? Don't you think wizzair isn't secured with an order of 110 neo until 2024? Then are you ready to put that extra money to leave 20 miles from your mum? Open your eyes this is the real world, if you wanna be pilot you might leave somewhere else than your home. 50k is a huge amount of money years of hard work and dedication. I don't say go for baa just not considering it,in the general case (obviously personal cases can change everything) is a shame.
About smartlynx I can understand and hear what you say. Obviously it's less secured than easyJet, Ryanair is not comparable to easyJet in terms of stability, do self employment and come back telling me if that's really advantageous.
But that's the little risk is the price of the opportunity. If you go after the one who tried you ll pay more, have more competition and at the end lose the advantage you had at first. I can understand some of you aren't ready to take the risk, but that's part of the win. Plus at the moment the risk is pretty low honestly.
E
Smartlynx is growing, they signed lot's of contracts those last months, pilots fly a lot during the summer and less during the winter it's true but on average do around 700 750h per year.
I think people don't realize how hard it is to get into that industry, you have not the luxury of the choice, try everything you can.

Officer Kite
19th May 2017, 15:06
You're just trying to convince yourself ctc is better than anything else in any case. Plus I don't know you guys but do you realise what it is 50k Pound???? For what job secured? Don't you think wizzair isn't secured with an order of 110 neo until 2024? Then are you ready to put that extra money to leave 20 miles from your mum? Open your eyes this is the real world, if you wanna be pilot you might leave somewhere else than your home. 50k is a huge amount of money years of hard work and dedication. I don't say go for baa just not considering it,in the general case (obviously personal cases can change everything) is a shame.

You would need to try and justify it pretty hard to yourself is the fact of the matter, as I explained earlier this thread is viewed by a lot more than those commenting, people are watching, and those that know the true value of £50,000 are taking serious note. Many have PMd me asking for further details on the course and selection with WIZZ/Smartlynx and BAA. The funny thing is none of them are from the UK. And I think this has a lot to do with it, us UK folk have this impression that we are the best at everything we do, no one can deliver training like us, no one can run an airline like us, no one can dare beat good ol blighty at anything. Flight training in Europe? Preposterous! Eastern Europe? They have planes!? What would the family think!? ... get me into OAA even if it costs 150k! (from someone who probably only left school last year)

This is highlighted in the fact that many people here would pay 50k more to fly the exact same aircraft but stay next to mummy and aunty as Ben correctly said. You can quite easily move back when you get your hours anyway, ex smartlynx pilots are peppered all over the place in many large carriers with well established reputations. It isn't Bongo Bongo from the Congo who's ex pilots people want to avoid like the plague ... as the less informed on here want to tell themselves in order to justify their unjustified spending spree of their parent's hard earned cash.

And uberpilot, do tell me why no one else in Europe would touch someone with an EASA ATPL (frozen or not) with an A320 rating from an EASA approved ATO and AOC holder? This is either arrogance or ignorance, but considering your claims to be an easyJet pilot for 4 years I think neither are really good. You should know better. Are you aware your own employers currently use Smartlynx? If they are so substandard then why are your employers jeopardising passenger safety? This is not the first year they have used smartlynx either. And no, I'd pay save 50k and then apply to whoever I wanted to and end up where I may want to be ... to suggest spending 50k to be in western europe in your first year or two is somewhat parallel to logic.

UberPilot
19th May 2017, 15:36
I didn't say it wasn't a good operator, I was just pointing out that you are in no way guaranteed to be able to move around amongst companies as you chose. EJ DEFO is pretty competitive - if that's the aim then surely you'd be better off just starting here in the first place?

Anyway, the only reason I chipped in was because I disagree with the "same license" and "same job" philosophy. It's actually quite hard to move around companies even once qualified and experienced. In fact You're only really in demand and marketable once you have command and a thousand hours. I urge people to consider this when choosing their various paths...

EGPF
19th May 2017, 16:48
I have revived an email stating that they are now accepting re-applications.

BAe 146-100
19th May 2017, 17:32
Hours are hours no doubt once you have them, the question here is what is the most PROVEN scheme, value for money only comes into it down the road once you have the hours and you know what the overall experience was. But to say value for money/saving this or that without even a foot in the door in a completely new un tried and tested scheme doesn't make sense.

KayPam
19th May 2017, 17:44
I have revived an email stating that they are now accepting re-applications.

Maybe they will re-open route 4 as well :)

ben78
19th May 2017, 18:45
Who knows baa enough here to say the training isn't as good as ctc? Probably not that many, the reputation is something but the quality is something else. I'm sure ctc is a great school as the top 3 but doesn't mean there is just those one.
I can talk myself about baa and I can assure you it's more than serious and no factory. About the other I can't. About hours, the upgrade to captain come after 4 years with wizz and quite fast for smartlynx too so if that's the valuable hours you got them pretty fast

Chris the Robot
19th May 2017, 20:57
I imagine part of the EZY appeal is the lack of a language barrier, if you're going to be doing your training in the UK/NZ/US and working in the UK afterwards then you don't have to think about learning a new language and the associated national culture before/during training.

If you're going to be working in Eastern Europe, then you'll need to learn a language and whilst many people would be capable of doing so, we Brits, being on an island and speaking one of the most spoken languages in the world, aren't always too good at that. I'm certainly not and neither are a lot of people I know, of course I'd like to learn sometime though. I imagine the uncertainties of Brexit apply too.

Of course, the Smartlynx programme appears to be better value than EZY, not that it is necessarily cheap or easily affordable by any standards. I do reckon though that you'd need to up for a bit of adventure to go for it.

Officer Kite
19th May 2017, 22:42
If you're going to be working in Eastern Europe, then you'll need to learn a language and whilst many people would be capable of doing so, we Brits, being on an island and speaking one of the most spoken languages in the world, aren't always too good at that. I'm certainly not and neither are a lot of people I know, of course I'd like to learn sometime though. I imagine the uncertainties of Brexit apply too.

I think pretty much everywhere you go nowadays people know even basic English, but anyway, where is the guarantee that easyJet are gonna base you in an English speaking country?

The chances of smartlynx basing us in Eastern Europe are very slim as a matter of fact, by far most of their contracts are actually in Western Europe and have been for the last number of years, and U.K. bases/contracts to be specific.
You're right about the adventure part, there is always the chance of them pulling you off standby to go fly ad hoc last minute, as happened recently when Vueling got Smartlynx to operate their Barcelona - Dublin rotation at the last minute. I don't know about others but I personally don't mind this really.

FlyingSaucepan
20th May 2017, 08:58
We get it. You're paying less than everyone else. Bravo. Really pleased for you.

So how come you're obsessed with posting in the EZY thread if you're so happy with your 'airline'??

FlyVeryHigh-
20th May 2017, 15:53
Application sent off :O

Hoping for the loan to be underwritten by EZY. Unfortunately I've no assets to secure a loan against myself, but here's hoping! Last selection with CTC in the last 6 months which I passed and was offered whitetail, although I'm not holding my breath on having to fork out for another assessment if my applications accepted

I need to break into this industry at some point, all these 18 year olds making me feel old

EGPF
20th May 2017, 16:07
Best of luck!

FlyVeryHigh-
20th May 2017, 16:48
I thought there was an OAA/EZY thread floating around, could be wrong though! Try here, there's some mention of OAA: http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/568201-easyjet-2016-a.html

EGPF
20th May 2017, 17:50
I don't see why OAA shouldn't be included so I've added something about it in the first post.

alphajet94
20th May 2017, 23:30
Hi everyone,

I am writing to you to ask when and where I can apply for this campaign "for the love of Flying".

Best regards ;)

EGPF
21st May 2017, 09:43
Hello, currently you can apply on either CTC aviation or CAE Oxford. Simply google generation easyJet with either of the training schools name. Both slightly offer different terms so make sure to read each of them well.

o_rey28
21st May 2017, 09:58
Hi everyone,

Just reading through everyone's comments and all are informative so thanks for that! As far as I'm concerned nothing is set in stone until the dotted line has been signed so might as well apply and keep researching if unsure. Good luck to everyone else applying I've just sent my application myself! :)

FOBon
21st May 2017, 12:56
I've been invited for stage 3 at OAA. Has anyone recently been and willing to share their experience with me? Will be greatly appreciated.

Iselbewohner
21st May 2017, 16:02
The Cityjet programme with OAA is about to open as well. And it´s definitely worth looking into it I´d say.

planesandthings
21st May 2017, 20:55
Bit OT but I must say "For the love of flying" has to be the cringiest name ever thought up for a scheme that leads to people doing very little actual proper flying, instead, a lot more simulator time to end up in the RHS of an airliner engaging autopilot at 300ft. However it'd be a fantastic name for a vintage taildragger scholarship!

But I guess that's marketing departments for you for you :}

EGPF
21st May 2017, 21:03
Flying to me also means just being in the air and enjoying the views, not just controlling the aircraft. Besides, if you didn't love or like flying, why else would one become a commercial pilot?

This is all my opinion of course.

rudestuff
21st May 2017, 21:13
Bit OT but I must say "For the love of flying" has to be the cringiest name ever thought up for a scheme that leads to people doing very little actual proper flying, instead, a lot more simulator time to end up in the RHS of an airliner engaging autopilot at 300ft. However it'd be a fantastic name for a vintage taildragger scholarship!

But I guess that's marketing departments for you for you :}

Agreed. This entire thread is about people who just want to sit in an airliner.

stupotk
21st May 2017, 21:22
I'm not applying to this scheme, but going to add my two cents - seeing as everyone else is!

Some of the comments on here are really spiteful. This is a forum. You do not know who is on the other end of that keyboard, you don't know their story, their background, their financial situation or their motives.

Who are you to judge how they achieve what they want to achieve? So what if 'their way' seems a bit backwards? I couldn't care less if someone who loves flying becomes an airline pilot first and a stunt pilot later. I don't care if they pay £50,000 or £150,000 to get in the same seat.

Everyone is different, that is something to be happy about - not moan about.

Chris the Robot
21st May 2017, 21:29
Unless EZY are paying for the entire cost of training, it should be called "For the love of money", since the FTOs are going to be getting quite a bit of it from you if you get onto the programme.

With interest on the loan it's realistically going to be £150k. Let's face it, you could get a house for that.

EGPF
21st May 2017, 21:46
Agreed. This entire thread is about people who just want to sit in an airliner.

I made this thread to provide information and discuss what is out there. Of course, if we ever desperately wanted to "sit" in an airliner, just buy a budget return on any airline. Many of us are passionate of what's out there, yes it's not financially ideal but at least it is something. It's a route to become a first officer on a big airliner.

Everyone has their opinion on it and that's fine, whether negative or positive, it's what us hopefuls want to take into account.

planesandthings
21st May 2017, 23:00
My comment was designed to be tongue in cheek :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all of you, but please lighten up before getting to the RHS :}

rustydusty
21st May 2017, 23:32
I see some people are saying CTC/L3 are now accept re applicants, does that include if you have already applied from other schools? They might have still not updated the website but it is saying:

"PLEASE BE AWARE THAT WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FROM THOSE WHO HAVE APPLIED UNSUCCESSFULLY TO OTHER APPROVED TRAINING PROVIDERS OF THE GENERATION EASYJET PILOT TRAINING PROGRAMME. "

I failed stage 3 at OAA but would like to go through CTC now rather then trying again with OAA.

GazG
22nd May 2017, 08:19
I've been selected for easyJet MPL route 1 (January intake) however financially the whole thing is falling through. Both parents have been ill for a while, unable to work full time so I've been left with a conditional job offer from easyJet whereby I must attend CTC, but with no means of funding the course! I'm not sure on my best options, do I go modular with the likes of ASW/ Aeros?

I've spoke to a financial adviser and hes not very helpful to be honest, both parents are too young for equity release. I feel my only option is to work myself for 3 months and apply for a mortgage? will a bank lend to a 22 year old wanting 109k for flight training?

Efato75kts
22nd May 2017, 12:19
So after re applying with a fresh application, CTC emailed me via my old email address that I used to apply for the EZY MPL in 2016. They have advised me that they automatically re applied for me and now I should book for the assessment .

When I failed the 2016 stage two assessment they advised I can re apply again in 6 months.
The assessment will cost £168 surprisingly lower than last year.

Speedbird148
22nd May 2017, 13:35
Hi Gaz. Have you spoken to easyJet to see if they'll act as a guarantor?

heberzub
22nd May 2017, 14:51
I feel my only option is to work myself for 3 months and apply for a mortgage? will a bank lend to a 22 year old wanting 109k for flight training?

Hi Gaz,
I saw a post somewhere in pprune about less expensive flight academies with lower cost, with cadet programs for Smartlynx and Wizzair at BAA in Lithuania. Perhaps that could be an option for you.

EGPF
22nd May 2017, 18:06
Probably seen it in this thread around page 4-5.

FlyVeryHigh-
22nd May 2017, 18:44
Hi Gaz. Have you spoken to easyJet to see if they'll act as a guarantor?

I second this. Speak to ezy.

ManUtd1999
22nd May 2017, 19:19
I've been selected for easyJet MPL route 1 (January intake) however financially the whole thing is falling through. Both parents have been ill for a while, unable to work full time so I've been left with a conditional job offer from easyJet whereby I must attend CTC, but with no means of funding the course! I'm not sure on my best options, do I go modular with the likes of ASW/ Aeros?

I've spoke to a financial adviser and hes not very helpful to be honest, both parents are too young for equity release. I feel my only option is to work myself for 3 months and apply for a mortgage? will a bank lend to a 22 year old wanting 109k for flight training?

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I agree, speak to Easyjet. If they've got anything about them they'll help you out. Let us know how it goes, it'll be a good test case for this years entry!

On a wider note, cases like this are a perfect example of how broken the whole cadet training system is. You've got candidates who the flight school and airline agree would be perfect for the role potentially unable to take a place due to the extortionate costs involved. ITV are running a documentary following CTC cadets later in the year, I really hope they highlight this side of the industry but I won't hold my breath.....

DirtyProp
22nd May 2017, 19:50
I'm not applying to this scheme, but going to add my two cents - seeing as everyone else is!

Some of the comments on here are really spiteful. This is a forum. You do not know who is on the other end of that keyboard, you don't know their story, their background, their financial situation or their motives.
Their motives are actually quite clear: to sit on that big, shiny jet whatever the costs.

Who are you to judge how they achieve what they want to achieve? So what if 'their way' seems a bit backwards? I couldn't care less if someone who loves flying becomes an airline pilot first and a stunt pilot later. I don't care if they pay £50,000 or £150,000 to get in the same seat.

Everyone is different, that is something to be happy about - not moan about.

If their behaviour will affect mine and everyone else's capability to get a job thanks to $$$ and not personal merit, I have every right and every reason to judge them.
When you prostitute yourself you lower the bar for everyone else in your industry.

EGPF
22nd May 2017, 21:19
Again, if we wanted to "sit" in a big shiny jet, it so easy to just get a budget ticket on an airline that has a young fleet.

The point is, there are many motives why an individual would want to apply for a scheme such as easyJets. For me, as I am applying for easyJet, it is because easyJet is one of the UKs biggest airline whom I believe have a good corporate culture after speaking to some trainees, FOs and Captains. It's a route to the right hand seat on what seems to be currently a stable airline. These are just some motives for taking on such a scheme.

The big problem is clearly the cost of training and the difficulty around funding it... Complaining about it on a thread dedicated to help people who are applying for it ain't really gonna make a difference? Like said somewhere on PPRUNE, jokes on us for picking an industry which requires us to pay a high sum just to do the training. Go on, judge those who can afford it, but honestly, they couldn't care less unfortunately.

tryu32
23rd May 2017, 07:56
Their motives are actually quite clear: to sit on that big, shiny jet whatever the costs.

If their behaviour will affect mine and everyone else's capability to get a job thanks to $$$ and not personal merit, I have every right and every reason to judge them.
When you prostitute yourself you lower the bar for everyone else in your industry.
Im sorry but to me that makes no sense at all, yes its expensive but not that more expensive than the regular program with CTC or OAA, its basically saying that if some one went to harvard or yale to get good education and a probably good Future in his field, u can dudge him because his educatioost much more then yours and he'll get a job faster then you.

Thats life some people can afford stuff other can not and it will effect the way thier life and career will look like.
We the ones that are not privilege to have rich parents can either cry about if ot work hard to feel in the gap.
This program is very expensive but if some one decided this is the best rote for him, i cant judge him, in fact i have the out must respect for him, the same goes for some one who decided to go and do it in a modular rote as cheap as possible...

Officer Kite
23rd May 2017, 08:27
its basically saying that if some one went to harvard or yale to get good education and a probably good Future in his field, u can dudge him because his educatioost much more then yours and he'll get a job faster then you.

As much as I have always wanted to be a pilot, I'm not sure comparing flight training or indeed the profession itself to going to Harvard or to Yale is entirely an accurate comparison of what the two different paths provide an individual with. To the general public they may view having a pilot's license as equivalent to anything Harvard or Yale may give you, however to those in the know, they will admit that for the amazing job it is it is nothing out of this world as far as qualifications go. It's more along the lines of an apprenticeship and learning the skills of the trade than being similar to any academic achievements Harvard or Yale will provide an individual with.

tryu32
23rd May 2017, 11:01
it might not provide the same qualifications, and dont mistake im not comparing to job of a pilot to getting an harvard education.
im comparing the idea of paying more for your education in order to get the best chances of been employed after words.
in both case you're paying much more for the level of education while its very much possible to find high level education outside of CTC, OAA harvard or yal you wont get the links and the door that will be opened to you as a new comer to the industry.

BaronVonBarnstormer
23rd May 2017, 11:47
A real sense of urgency at easyJet yesterday.

How do you mean??

Iselbewohner
23rd May 2017, 18:31
I´m also quite interested in what exactly you mean by that spettsky ;-)

Ang_uk
23rd May 2017, 18:39
Hi Everyone

Does anyone know what the testing system used for the CAE OAA EasyJet MPL aptitude assessment? I recently passed the Integrated ATPL selection process which I sat the ADAPT test, and was wondering if it's the same.

Thanks!

Helski
29th May 2017, 13:39
I'm currently at CTC on easyJet's Generation easyJet programme as a route 2 cadet. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer any that I am able to.

HEJT2015
29th May 2017, 21:13
Do you know of anyone who's been upgraded yet..?

EGPF
30th May 2017, 08:16
"EasyJet is seeking more pilots at its Edinburgh and Glasgow bases as part of Scotland’s largest airline’s biggest recruitment drive to date."
Read more at: EasyJet launches biggest pilot recruitment drive yet - The Scotsman (http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/easyjet-launches-biggest-pilot-recruitment-drive-yet-1-4446903)

Have a look at the first post as I am regularly adding additional information from various sources including this thread. Thank you.

motpmats
30th May 2017, 11:46

I would be in a similar position financially if successful, let us know what easyjet come back with..

A320ECAM
30th May 2017, 12:40
I'm currently at CTC on easyJet's Generation easyJet programme as a route 2 cadet. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer any that I am able to.

Do you know of anybody that receive the underwriting loan from EZY?

zinobouilouta
30th May 2017, 15:18

How long did it take for CTC to get back to you after you applied?
Is anybody on the course aged under 20?

Chris the Robot
30th May 2017, 16:44
I second what A320ECAM has said. The way the website is worded it is not clear whether the loan guarantees apply to any "exceptional" candidates or just the female-only scholarship.

ManUtd1999
30th May 2017, 20:26
At this point, they said that the airline had agreed, but disagreed

I'm not sure you can do both?

Officer Kite
30th May 2017, 20:40
They did a U turn on it ... they probably saw it best hold off and look at the upcoming applicants. I guess there's no need for them to take on such a risk if they have a number of suitable applicants who can fund it themselves anyway.

EGPF
30th May 2017, 21:58
Ugh that must of been a huge disappointment for the candidates. I guess personal merit doesn't really matter to easyJet....

momo95
31st May 2017, 00:28
It doesn't. Who has the deepest pockets is what it's about, and if it wasn't then they'd be offering something along the lines of the BA FPP. They can certainly afford it, more than BA ever could. This is just a matter of company principle.

For the love of flying? hmmmmm ... yeh ... the love is restricted to those with £125,000 though.

Helski
31st May 2017, 12:50
Do you know of anyone who's been upgraded yet..?

There are just two guys on my CP on the upgrade route. We are told the decision will be made after ground school.

Helski
31st May 2017, 12:55
Do you know of anybody that receive the underwriting loan from EZY?

As far as I am aware, the only guys who got the loan underwriting applied via easyJet's tagging talent scheme and were internal applicants. We don't openly talk about our financing of the course though, so there may be.

Helski
31st May 2017, 13:00
How long did it take for CTC to get back to you after you applied?
Is anybody on the course aged under 20?

A few guys a younger than 20, ages range between 19 to mid 30s. Don't let age stop you from applying, but be prepared to work harder than you have ever done before.

EGPF
31st May 2017, 16:50
Thanks for answering the questions.

Be aware, there are only another 4-5 days before the application window closes for CTC.

ManUtd1999
31st May 2017, 17:39
They did a U turn on it ... they probably saw it best hold off and look at the upcoming applicants. I guess there's no need for them to take on such a risk if they have a number of suitable applicants who can fund it themselves anyway.

Most airlines either fund courses or they don't, not some halfway house. This allows them to pick the best candidates who apply. Sure, there will potentially be better candidates who don't apply for self-sponsored courses, but the airline never gets to see them.

With EZY's offer of "we might guarantee a loan", it makes the whole issue of funding very transparent and potentially means candidates who have been offered places then can't accept them. With other airlines, they either wouldn't have applied in the first place or the finance would be provided.

This whole idea of "we'll wait and see who we get then decide on finance" is odd. Will they accept a "worse" candidate who can fund the course v one who can't? The public might not like the idea of their pilot being not the best candidate but the one who could pay.....

momo95
31st May 2017, 19:32
easyJet have proven themselves time and again to be about little other than maximising profit. Of course this is the nature of a business. Shareholder theory can only be taken so far though and there comes a time when the stakeholder theory proves itself a lot more. It's at times like these. BA and Aer Lingus demonstrated this very well. In the face of Brexit though I shouldn't expect any improvements with easyJet, they will be ruthless in securing every penny they can.

I agree about the halfway house, it would be funny if it weren't frustrating.

A320ECAM
31st May 2017, 19:42
Unfortunately guys, a :mad: candidate with the money will get the job over a strong candidate without the funding.

The industry needs changing to entice the passionate people without the funds.
It angers me that the Kenyan government will fund the entire training for Kenyan nationals but the UK/US/CA governments won't do :mad:

momo95
31st May 2017, 20:41
For all the stick Africa gets, they have quite a few countries funding training. Oxford is overrun with Algerians ... all paid for by the airline/government with a decent allowance in too.

Anyway, unfortunately it doesn't look like things will change. We are falling over ourselves to apply to these 100k schemes ... why should they

Iselbewohner
31st May 2017, 22:29
Unfortunately guys, a :mad: candidate with the money will get the job over a strong candidate without the funding.

I have to disagree with that. I was only asked one question about my financial background and my plans on how to finance the training in my EZY selection at CTC: Do you know yet how to fund the training? My answer: No, I will have to go and talk to a bank in case I make it to the programme. And I got accepted. (By CTC and EZY, not the bank unfortunately)

Officer Kite
31st May 2017, 23:54
I think ECAM's point is that many without even a hope of funding aren't even applying. It is a sad truth about the industry that we are only getting the best of those that can afford it, not the best full stop.

This is partly why I have the utmost respect for airlines such as BA, Aer Lingus, Virgin etc as they remove the financial barrier when they know they do not have to. It says a lot about these companies.

Chris the Robot
31st May 2017, 23:55
Funny that Africa has been mentioned because I was thinking about he programmes over there the other day. One of the lads at the gliding club I fly from could probably get a passport through ancestry and with it a chance at one of the fully-funded programmes. Ironic that the more "developed" nations lag behind when it comes to this sort of thing.

Regarding little being asked about financing at interview, I think the point being made is that if you were selected and couldn't finance it, your place would ultimately go to someone who could. Whilst they may not weed out those who need airline financial backing at interview, ultimately those who require it are filtered out at the funding stage.

EGPF
1st Jun 2017, 07:00
It'll be interesting to see if they'll make any changes next year after their huge informercial "documentary" is broadcasted to the public. Perhaps they may charge more after gaining more public interest...

momo95
1st Jun 2017, 07:05
I would expect just as much. It will create an increase in interest no doubt ... naturally there will be a % of these people who can find it themselves and so easyjet will have a larger pool to work from

Chris the Robot
1st Jun 2017, 15:10
I reckon it could go either way if I'm to be honest. A couple of years back there was a three-part series about BA of which a part of the third episode focused on the FPP. When the training cost of £84k was mentioned a lot of people on non-aviation forums thought it was hugely expensive and that's with an airline providing a guarantee.

Easyjet's three-part series will likely attract a fair bit of attention from the general public and the media and if it's found that they are not providing loan guarantees then I can see them getting a fair bit of flak. Wouldn't be surprised if some of it focused on their female scholarship and we've seen how identity politics has gone down with the public outside of aviation. I doubt I'll watch the series itself but it will be interesting to see the wider reaction to it.

coolsuper1998
1st Jun 2017, 16:12
Hey kalvb123, I recently sat the easyjet assessment with OAA. Unfortunately failed on the ball game and fixed wing. I was already at a disadvantage with only one hour flight simulation experience. Do you have any tips on theses? i will be starting a few flying lessons in the summer. very much appreciated.

EGPF
1st Jun 2017, 17:37
I reckon it could go either way if I'm to be honest. A couple of years back there was a three-part series about BA of which a part of the third episode focused on the FPP. When the training cost of £84k was mentioned a lot of people on non-aviation forums thought it was hugely expensive and that's with an airline providing a guarantee.

Easyjet's three-part series will likely attract a fair bit of attention from the general public and the media and if it's found that they are not providing loan guarantees then I can see them getting a fair bit of flak. Wouldn't be surprised if some of it focused on their female scholarship and we've seen how identity politics has gone down with the public outside of aviation. I doubt I'll watch the series itself but it will be interesting to see the wider reaction to it.

I'm guessing the series is called "a very British Airline"?

Chris the Robot
2nd Jun 2017, 11:19
Yep, that's the one.

EGPF
3rd Jun 2017, 12:27
L3CTS have announced that the Flybe MPL is opening this Monday.
https://www.l3airlineacademy.com/flybe

Annoyingly they haven't stated a price but we probably all know what it's going to be.

Chris the Robot
3rd Jun 2017, 13:16
£94800, comprising of a £69k "training bond" and a £25800 MPL fee, interestingly the BBVA loan scheme is still listed as a potential source of funding. All of this for a job, which on the new Flybe contract, will pay about £30k per year, rising slowly in increments.

They do take modular folks though to their credit.

As for the Easyjet programme I think there are a few things to take into consideration when applying:
The odds of you getting a loan guarantee are somewhere between minimal and non-existent loan unless you're an internal applicant or a woman.
Many people have reported their conditional offer was changed significantly after they had accepted it.
Your first year of flying may be on a zero-hours contract where earnings may fluctuate significantly.

For those seeing "loan guarantee" and thinking this is like BA and Virgin Atlantic, think again.

ManUtd1999
3rd Jun 2017, 18:03
£94800, comprising of a £69k "training bond" and a £25800 MPL fee, interestingly the BBVA loan scheme is still listed as a potential source of funding.

Flybe is a great place to start your career if you've come through the modular route and/or have ~zero training debt. It's not the place to be with a 90,000+ loan hanging round your neck. Then again, Easyjet isn't a particularly good place to be in that situation either.....

EGPF
4th Jun 2017, 17:06
Last day to apply with CTC! Best of luck to all who have applied.

Huggies_23
4th Jun 2017, 20:37
The deadline is showing as midnight on the 30th of December 2017...

matt283
5th Jun 2017, 14:23
Hi guys,

I booked stage 2 assessment with oxford. Could you please recommend me how to get prepared for this assessment?

EGPF
5th Jun 2017, 15:55
The deadline is showing as midnight on the 30th of December 2017...

Well spotted. It seems as though that the CTC website has completely disappeared and now re-directs to L3CTS in which the application is open until December through them.

First post updated.

matt_wizz
6th Jun 2017, 10:43
Has anyone who did Stage 2 for easyJet with CAE on 30/05 had their result yet? Still nothing...

Lime Flow
6th Jun 2017, 14:32
Same, I am also waiting for an e-mail, I even contacted them this morning and received no answer.

EGPF
6th Jun 2017, 22:30
Best of luck to all!

I really do like your blog, very informative indeed.

matt_wizz
7th Jun 2017, 17:15
Yeah I called them today too and I was told that the team are sorting through the results and emailing people but there was no eta for results, she didn't sound particularly concerned when I mentioned when I attended so I'll just have to be more patient!

ec_2017
8th Jun 2017, 03:30
Hi guys, hope everyone's applications, and assessments, both last year and this year are going well! Does anyone have their stage 2 (Technical) at CTC/L3 on Tuesday 13th June? Best of luck to everyone still going through the process! :)

Diving_Aviator
8th Jun 2017, 14:46
I do, best of luck, hopefully I'll see you there!

Gregory1997
8th Jun 2017, 15:19
Just received my route allocation from OAA! I got Route 1 starting in September :)

Good luck to everyone and I hope to see you at EZY soon!
Congratulations! I've been offered route 2 in September so I'll see you then!

EGPF
8th Jun 2017, 16:50
Congratulations!

EGPF
8th Jun 2017, 16:52
Updated the first post - the final paragraph is interesting.

o_rey28
8th Jun 2017, 20:49
That was me! Consider it my contribution to the thread. :ok:

EGPF
9th Jun 2017, 07:51
Thanks! Very important question so it is.

Huggies_23
9th Jun 2017, 11:24
L3CTS update on the GeJPTP application page re: Re-applications -

"We are now accepting re-applications from previously unsuccessful applicants to our Generation easyJet Pilot Training program. If you would like to re-apply, please ensure that your deferral period to re-apply has passed. You will have been advised of the length of your deferral period in your feedback from our team.

Please be aware that we are unable to accept applications from those who have applied unsuccessfully to other approved training providers of the Generation easyJet Pilot Training Program."

O320
10th Jun 2017, 13:30
MAC compatibility

Hi! Has anybody tried to do the computer skill on MAC or Windows 10? I talked to the support team, but they couldn't really give me the answer. I am a bit worried that the test won't appear properly on MAC. Thanks for your help!

jswift98
10th Jun 2017, 23:48
Is that the same for CTC and CAE?

jswift98
12th Jun 2017, 00:26
What's the best prep software to get, if any?

EZY_FR
12th Jun 2017, 08:59
I know OAA uses, or at least did when I attended last year, their own battery of tests for easyJet selection.

Officer Kite
12th Jun 2017, 10:21
The 2 schools may be testing similar things, the tests are not the same though, don't go to OAA expecting a repeat of the CTC test cos you'll be disappointed

wils180
12th Jun 2017, 15:44
30/5 OAA guys: think they have finally got round to sorting the results out; been invited to stage 3 on either the 20, 21 June or 20 July

o_rey28
12th Jun 2017, 16:08
Hey guys, can anyone who has done the stage 2 with CTC shed some light on test details? I've got the skytest software and am aware of some of the tests that CTC have used previously but are the tests from easyJet different?

sooc
12th Jun 2017, 16:47
L3/CTC stage 2 tests are as stated on Pilot George's blog: 15 multiple choice mental maths questions followed by a series of aptitude tests. No physics!

sooc
12th Jun 2017, 18:40
I agree that the interview/group exercise stages may be different, but I sat the easyJet stage 2 assessment at Dibden Manor a few weeks ago and it was exactly as I (and George) described!

o_rey28
13th Jun 2017, 13:11
Good to hear/read! Good luck to all those mid application, maybe I'll see some of you at my stage 2 on 26th July!

FlyYorkshire
15th Jun 2017, 00:25
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but have been following some threads regarding Genertation easyJet! I applied last week through the CTC course and heard back today that I've made it to the selection days, I just have a few questions!

1) I've read the forums and information on the website surrounding the cost of the course and loans but from what I've read I understand this may be paid by easyJet, is this only highly talented candidates or is this something everyone receives? Just some general more in depth information then is available on the website would be useful!

2) My email states specifically that I've made it onto 'easyJet route 3 selection', does this mean I've already been given this route or could I be assigned a different one should I be successful?

3) Finally, does anyone have an idea of the chances of success in interview (i.e. How many people make it onto the course)? With the high cost of the selection day and with myself being only 18, it is a large cost to me and I just wondered what the chances of success are if we have any indication at all!

I know these questions are quite basic so forgive me if I've repeated anything already mentioned! Good luck to everyone applying this year! :D

gbotley
15th Jun 2017, 10:08
1) I've read the forums and information on the website surrounding the cost of the course and loans but from what I've read I understand this may be paid by easyJet, is this only highly talented candidates or is this something everyone receives? Just some general more in depth information then is available on the website would be useful!

From what I understand, Route 1 & subsequent funding is available to 'exceptional' candidates. That definition is very much easyJet's to make, albeit I believe you must perform well both in academia and selection. To date I have only personally met one individual funded by the airline. That is not, however, to say more do not exist across the scheme for these schools have hundreds of cadets and it's impossible for everyone to know everyone! Best tip here, apply with the understanding you will be funding it. Anything else will be a bonus. Don't rely on the funding to make your dream, as it might in fact do the opposite.

2) My email states specifically that I've made it onto 'easyJet route 3 selection', does this mean I've already been given this route or could I be assigned a different one should I be successful?

Based on this I would presume you do not qualify for Route 1/2. What are your grades if you don't mind me asking?

3) Finally, does anyone have an idea of the chances of success in interview (i.e. How many people make it onto the course)? With the high cost of the selection day and with myself being only 18, it is a large cost to me and I just wondered what the chances of success are if we have any indication at all!

Impossible to give exact numbers, but it's certainly a fair number at L3 since it started. There's a couple, if not more, easyJet cadets per new course it seems.

ScotWings
15th Jun 2017, 10:11
If it's any indication, in my class of 24 at L3, around 14 are easyJet. New course roughly every 3 or 4 weeks. Big numbers.

FlyYorkshire
15th Jun 2017, 11:02
Based on this I would presume you do not qualify for Route 1/2. What are your grades if you don't mind me asking?

I’m just completing A-Levels now but have predicted grades of A*AA? Is it the fact that they’re predicted that has limited this?

Does anyone know what positives/negatives there are to the Integrated ATPL course? Will taking route 3 limit me in any way?

Thanks @scotwings for the info, sounds like they’re really pushing it atm!

gbotley
15th Jun 2017, 11:44
I’m just completing A-Levels now but have predicted grades of A*AA? Is it the fact that they’re predicted that has limited this?

I would have thought so yes. While the website does claim you can still apply with predicted grades, you will have to attain them to secure Route 1 or 2. Such, they may have allocated you a route three day for that purpose. I am of course speculating as only the selection team will know for sure.

For the sake of clearing confusion.. here is the website text:

To qualify for the easyJet MPL or the MPL Upgrade, you must also hold:

* A minimum of 2 A Levels grades C or above (excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking); or
* A degree grade 2:2 or above

You may apply to the program with predicted grades but they must be achieved on commencement of training.

ScotWings numbers seem right to be honest, although the numbers are quite variable over CPs it would seem. Some have 3 members - such as mine, others considerably more!

EDIT: To add, Route 3 is essentially the Integrated route that all Whitetail cadets at L3 would follow with the advantage of a conditional job offer just like Route 1/2 so in that regard it would still result in the RHS of an A319/20/21 at EZY. It would just cost more given you're following a non-MPL route.

Millasaurus
15th Jun 2017, 11:48

Does anyone know what positives/negatives there are to the Integrated ATPL course? Will taking route 3 limit me in any way?

Route 3 will take slightly longer and will cost more overall, but you will end up flying for easyJet just the same as a cadet on Route 1 or 2, holding an ATPL licence as opposed to an MPL. (There are quite a few posts online explaining the differences between the licences, I'd recommend gbotley's excellent blog (https://www.pilotgeorge.co.uk/blog/post/which-is-better-mpl-or-atpl/)). easyJet will also send you a conditional offer of employment once you are confirmed on the course, as they do with the other routes.

EGPF
15th Jun 2017, 11:56

This is the Route 3 information:

"This route provides a further opportunity to join easyJet for those who successfully complete selection and begin the Integrated ATPL route, but are not shortlisted to upgrade to MPL on completion of Theoretical Knowledge exams and do meet easyJet criteria, OR do not hold the academic qualifications required for the MPL route. You will continue on the Integrated ATPL route, completing the Intermediate phase of training tailored to easyJet A320 aircraft and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Upon successful completion of training you'll then launch an exciting flying career as an easyJet Co-Pilot on completion of A320 type rating, base and line training."

I'm not particularly sure but good thing is that you get a frozen ATPL I believe but correct me if I'm wrong. You won't have a chance of getting your loan underwritten and the cost is £123,800 which includes your type rating.

To be completely honest, the integrated program is pretty much the standard package that L3CTS offers so you might want to read this https://www.l3airlineacademy.com/career-programs/integrated-atpl
however your airline placement is likely to be easyJet rather than any other airline.

gbotley
15th Jun 2017, 12:07
Thanks for the share Millasaurus, although no doubt the link will be removed as the mods tend to hate people sharing blogs it seems. A quick Google of MPL vs ATPL will find you all of the results you would need for any comparison FlyYorkshire. In training alongside MPL cadets on the daily, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the structure/delivery of the flight stage of training. A lot the MPL is teaching a fair few components in the simulator where mistakes can be made before then going and doing it in the air in the real deal. I personally prefer this approach in the sense you get over the stress of being introduced to new concepts during the sim component. But hey, everyone's different.

flyingintheclouds
15th Jun 2017, 16:40
Does anyone have any info about the route 2 MPL upgrade regarding what you need to achieve at groundschool, how many people have been upgraded, what happens if you aren't upgraded etc? It's quite vague.

Millasaurus
15th Jun 2017, 19:40
75% (a pass) in each subject and no more than 3 fails is what's required to be eligible for an upgrade. However, obviously the better you do the more likely it is that you will be upgraded. As mentioned it depends on the number of cadets already on the MPL as well.

o_rey28
18th Jun 2017, 19:22
To anyone who has completed the stage 3 assessment, how long was the period of time between the two assessments and was it the same booking process as with the stage 2 assessment?

31Pilot
20th Jun 2017, 16:04
I thought I'd share my experience. I applied to the Generation EasyJet programme last year about July, I only sat my technical day in March (long story).

If you are going to CTC I would say SkyTest is the closest you will get to the actual tests you will experience that day. I couldn't get the audio to work with SkyTest through my PC but they very kindly issued me a license for iPad. I wouldn't recommend using the iPad for anything requiring the joystick as the on-screen control is not helpful. I would use the auto-trainer function as it pushes you to the limits but you will find on the day when you sit the test that it's pushed you further than you need.

The maths test is multiple choice and I highly recommend using latestpilotjobs.com, merely for practicing quick calculations. You only get 1 A5 (half of A4) sheet of paper and I had several square route and currency conversion questions which I had to answer using educated guesses. I passed this section of the test (I didn't ask for my score).

matt283
21st Jun 2017, 18:14
quick question: what is the dress code for stage 2 assessment? ;)

flyingintheclouds
21st Jun 2017, 19:25
I would advise wearing a suit and tie at all stages. It's a professional job you're going for and it doesn't hurt to dress up.
Good luck!

EGPF
22nd Jun 2017, 22:19
For those wondering how much a loan underwriting is from the Amy Johnson Initiative:

"Offering loan underwriting of around £100,000 for six female, new entrant
pilots – our ‘Amy Johnson recruits’"

Source: Diversity | Diversifying our workforce | easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/en/orange-spirit/diversity)

AFLYINGSCOTSMAN
23rd Jun 2017, 14:44
Hi helski, 2 things, do you know any route 3 people? And also what is the "easyjet exam standard" for the ATPL exams?.

Cheers

EGPF
23rd Jun 2017, 21:38
I believe its around 80% the exam standard is. Correct me if i'm wrong.

o_rey28
24th Jun 2017, 08:48
Does anyone know what the "Airline Process" stage entails? It is the stage after stage 3, so I suppose you could call it stage 4.

Millasaurus
24th Jun 2017, 15:36
Hi helski, 2 things, do you know any route 3 people? And also what is the "easyjet exam standard" for the ATPL exams?.
I am Route 3 if you were looking for somebody to answer some questions about the route. As far as the exam standard goes, it's simply a pass (75%) in every subject, and no more than 3 fails.

wils180
25th Jun 2017, 10:28
Hi are you route 3 at oaa or ctc?

Millasaurus
26th Jun 2017, 11:47
I'm at CTC

o_rey28
26th Jun 2017, 12:23
Enjoying it so far (even with the evident massive workload)? How far in are you?

wils180
26th Jun 2017, 18:05
How do you find route 3 overall? is it considerably different to routes 1 and 2, other than the price and licence type what are the practical differences of the training course? are you treated as easy cadets or whitetail? is there definitely a job at the end or is it more of a hold pool type situation in which you won't have to re do testing?

Just that if i'm successful i'll definitely be route 3 so trynna learn as much as pos about it haha

Millasaurus
27th Jun 2017, 16:11
Enjoying it so far (even with the evident massive workload)? How far in are you?
Yes, the workload is massive, there's a huge amount to learn, but absolutely. I'm halfway through ground school right now.

How do you find route 3 overall? is it considerably different to routes 1 and 2, other than the price and licence type what are the practical differences of the training course? are you treated as easy cadets or whitetail? is there definitely a job at the end or is it more of a hold pool type situation in which you won't have to re do testing?
At the ground school stage it is no different to any of the other routes, the differences are in the flying stages (MPL is a couple of months shorter, you do less flying, and no CPL & IR exams). If you are Route 1, 2, or 3 you are an easyJet cadet, and there is a job at the end, you will sign a conditional offer of employment before you start. Provided you progress through the course, passing the tests, you will enter employment with easyJet at the end of your training, no hold pool. Route 3 is essentially the same course as whitetail, but you start knowing you already have a job at the end of training.

GazG
28th Jun 2017, 01:40
I'm MPL route 1 set to start in September. The issue I'm having was that BBVA denied me due to income related issues. Cut the story short both my parents have been ill in recent years and cannot continue their occupations. I have a financial adviser whom said if I can give him my work contract and my father gets permanent work then there is a loan available. The current situation is that I have work and my father is working as bank staff and cannot get permanent employment for at least 3 months. This leaves me stuck with a route 1 offer from Ezy and CTC but no means of finance. I'm really stuck for what to do next, my start date is 2 months away and I've ran out of options.

flyingintheclouds
28th Jun 2017, 07:13
Have you discussed with the flight school about moving your start date? Discuss with them as much as possible as they are the ones that can help you the most except the finance. Hope you get it sorted!

Chris the Robot
28th Jun 2017, 10:28
Since you're Route 1 you could ask Easyjet themselves, after all they said they would consider guaranteeing the loans of "exceptional" Route 1 candidates. Other than that, I think your only option with Easyjet would be to try and buy time and see what other options you could consider.

Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised if Aer Lingus open their programme in the next couple of months, it is fully funded by the airline and if you're of the sort of calibre for Easyjet Route 1 (which from what I have seen is rarely awarded) then you'd probably be in with a reasonable chance with them too.

GazG
28th Jun 2017, 10:41
I've tried everything, September is the final start date, CTC have said that if I don't start by Sept then there is a risk that they will drop me down to route 2. I've even emailed the easyJet flight operations manager and they say "the funding is currently used up for this year". Also i'd love to apply to Aer Lingus but is it worth letting easyJet lapse and going for it? The last thing I want is to end up back at square one with no airline offer. In addition I feel that I was lucky with easyJet since ITV was filming "easyJet inside the cockpit" on my selection day and I volunteered to be filmed for the show. Considering i'd of been nervous and wanting to concentrate on being selected, nevermind the additional stress of being filmed for ITV. I feel the volunteering may have helped my application, not that it should've but its a possibility.

Chris the Robot
28th Jun 2017, 12:27
Understandably, after having been offered Easyjet Route 1 that will be your preferred option, however being able to take it unfortunately seems to be dependent on the finance side of things. So, you may have to take Easyjet Route 2 or apply for other programmes depending on the funding you have available, some of which are recruiting at the moment. In the meantime don't allow yourself to become too attached to the Easyjet Route 1 option.

You do have to remember that you're in a pretty strong position, from what you say, you'll likely have access to finance towards the end of the year and you actually know what you need to do in order to be selected. Plenty of people don't have either, some have one or the other, comparatively few will go into a recruitment process with both.

ManUtd1999
30th Jun 2017, 16:53
ve even emailed the easyJet flight operations manager and they say "the funding is currently used up for this year".

Interesting given that HTC are still advertising the possibility of loan guarantees on their website.....

Cases like this show how broken the whole flight training industry is. In short, Ezy have decided that you're a perfect candidate but are willing to hire someone else, possibly of lower suitability, unless you can find 100,000+. If this was a different industry it would be a national scandal

flyingintheclouds
30th Jun 2017, 17:08
Has anyone heard any more news regarding flexicrew being discontinued in the future?

jimi_riddler
30th Jun 2017, 17:43
I spoke with a friend who works for easyJet and asked this very question a few days ago. Basically it is in the pipeline to be scrapped but not definite. I'm led to believe that it was due to a dispute with BALPA over contracts which is due to be reassessed in the near future so things may change.

On another note.....I'm on day 2 next week and when researching the airline I have noticed a lot of conflicting information on their website in their figures....has anyone else noticed this? I worry slightly as the questionnaire we had to send off was based on some facts I'd found that only match part of the website. It'll be interesting if quizzes on it during the interview!

momo95
30th Jun 2017, 18:47
Interesting given that HTC are still advertising the possibility of loan guarantees on their website.....

Cases like this show how broken the whole flight training industry is. In short, Ezy have decided that you're a perfect candidate but are willing to hire someone else, possibly of lower suitability, unless you can find 100,000+. If this was a different industry it would be a national scandal

Indeed morals are rarely high on the agenda in this game ... unless it's for an advertisement campaign

gbotley
1st Jul 2017, 05:21
Has anyone heard any more news regarding flexicrew being discontinued in the future?

Not official by any means, but the rumour mill suggests it'll begin to be phased out come September/October. What will replace it remains to be seen but if I'm allowed to speculate I'd imagine it'd require a longer amount of time on the SO contract a Flexi cadet would otherwise transfer to once permanent.

Millasaurus
1st Jul 2017, 09:15
I was told by easyJet's recruitment manager for pilots that it would definitely be gone by the time I've finished my training (Oct/Nov 2018), but that what it is being replaced with is still under negotiation.

flyingintheclouds
1st Jul 2017, 14:05
Sounds like good news then and as previously mentioned would make sense it being a Second Officer contract.

Captain Benji
1st Jul 2017, 18:44
Hi Guys,

Just left school and I'm looking forward to potentially applying for this in a few months.
What do you think makes an applicant stand out when applying for a cadet program? Furthermore, what should I be doing in the coming months to help bolster my application?

EGPF
2nd Jul 2017, 10:18
I've talked to some past cadets who went on this course and they always tell me that signs of leadership skills are important since they aren't just looking for co-pilots, they are looking for future captains. Also, skills like team work and communication are also very important.

Watching this may give you an idea of what skills they are looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E60dYDaXn08

You'll face an aptitude test of course, so practising mental arithmetic (GCSE level) and using one of them plot aptitude sites that mimic the actual test you'll face to practice would help - be aware its probably not 100% accurate.

Captain Benji
2nd Jul 2017, 11:37
Thank you very much for your advice EGPF :ok:

EGPF
2nd Jul 2017, 19:47
Good luck!

Captain_Scooby
2nd Jul 2017, 22:33
Just to throw another option into the mix.... eJ have been running an internal sponsorship scheme for several years now. You need to have worked for the company for 18 months when applications close each year, but as I understand it, eJ underwrite your loan for the MPL scheme, and you've got a job waiting at the end of it. So there's the option to work for them as cabin crew for a couple of years, get a real feel for the airline, the crew, the rosters, and get yourself in a good position for the scheme. For those looking to start training asap, it's of little use, but if you're not planning on starting for a few years, it's definitely worth consideration. Being crew is really good fun, and you'll have an amazing appreciation for what goes on behind the flight deck door when you eventually step into the RHS

EGPF
3rd Jul 2017, 11:52
“We have had nine successful applicants this year, who were working as cabin crew, or in the office in engineering, finance and marketing, and who just thought ‘I’d love to do that’. What we’ve got are people who we know fit EasyJet, and who are hugely motivated.”

2015 intake statistic.

Source: https://50skyshades.com/news/maintenance-trainings/analysis-how-easyjet-transformed-its-pilot-training

(BTW, its an article worth reading for all interested in the scheme)

Matt0
3rd Jul 2017, 11:56
Hey guys,

For the qualifications required for the MPl. Is it strictly A levels or a degree? Or can you use diplomas etc which are above a levels?

Thanks

EGPF
3rd Jul 2017, 11:58
Updated the first post, an article and video added, definitely recommend looking at both of them.

o_rey28
3rd Jul 2017, 17:14
Is there anybody here who has gone through with the BBVA loan product and are willing to share how long it took to sort once they received an acceptance letter?

ScotWings
3rd Jul 2017, 17:22
It takes a fair bit of time as it's a rather complex product. I initially made contact with them mid December, and got finalised at the end of June.

o_rey28
3rd Jul 2017, 18:19
Wow quite a long time! Do you have any advice that might speed things up?

ScotWings
3rd Jul 2017, 18:37
Not really. Apart from a 3 week gap of no progress in the middle due to holidays, it went about as quickly as it could have! Just make sure you always keep up your half of the bargain and get on the case immediately whenever asked to provide something.

31Pilot
3rd Jul 2017, 20:05
Hey guys,

For the qualifications required for the MPl. Is it strictly A levels or a degree? Or can you use diplomas etc which are above a levels?

Thanks

If you want the MPL or Upgrade (Route 1 or 2) you would need to have the A-levels or a degree. If you have other qualifications which are equal or greater than A-levels I would email them and ask. You can also check online yourself but I would check with them for a definitive answer.

If you have a HND that is normally equal to a 1st year of University.

I assume they would be looking for your other qualifications to be equal in value to the 2 grade C or above A-level requirements.

Marshallb
3rd Jul 2017, 21:01
Hi, I'm going for my interview and group exercise on Thursday at dibden for generation easyJet it says 8.30am till 5pm, has anyone been recently and was it all day. Also any tips or advice. Did assessment 1 the other week and passed so now assesment 2.

gbotley
3rd Jul 2017, 22:58
Is there anybody here who has gone through with the BBVA loan product and are willing to share how long it took to sort once they received an acceptance letter?

It's a long process. It's not a high street loan but a commercial mortgage. I completed selection in early 2016, had acceptance on to the course in March. Mid march I applied to BBVA. The process completed with funds becoming available some time in late August.

I'd already started the course by this point but that was okay as I hadn't intended to use BBVA's loan funds until December. My payment schedule with L3 had a break of a few months between starting - with the exception of the deposit and 1st month payment - so I didn't need any funds from BBVA until the foundation fee became due in late December. Schedules are typically outlined when you get your place offer from CTC.

The sooner you start the process with BBVA the quicker it'll be. It's important to chase them up every so often too as they did drag their heels at best. There's many stakeholders involved including solicitors and the bank of any existing mortgage to whom can also get their own legal teams involved hence the complexity.

All the best with it if you choose that avenue!

Captain Benji
4th Jul 2017, 18:48
Hi Marshallb,

Would you mind letting me know how this goes as I (hopefully) might be in your shoes in a few months time.

Helski
4th Jul 2017, 20:58
Hey guys,

Thanks

I'm on Route 2 with NVQ Level 4 (Professional Diploma). Route 1 & 2 have the same entry requirements.

ScotWings
4th Jul 2017, 21:20
Hi, I'm going for my interview and group exercise on Thursday at dibden for generation easyJet it says 8.30am till 5pm, has anyone been recently and was it all day. Also any tips or advice. Did assessment 1 the other week and passed so now assesment 2.

If it's the same as last year, although i believe it has changed slightly, it'll be group tasks in the morning followed by interviews in the afternoon. Some will have the interview at 2 and be away at 3, some finished at 4, and some will be finished at 5. They tend to ask if anyone needs away for travel sharp, when organising the interviews.

Just be yourself, enjoy it, and try to build a little bit of rapport with your group before actually going in for the group tasks - helps a lot!

Marshallb
5th Jul 2017, 05:42
Hi Marshallb,

Would you mind letting me know how this goes as I (hopefully) might be in your shoes in a few months time.

Will do :)

Marshallb
5th Jul 2017, 05:44
If it's the same as last year, although i believe it has changed slightly, it'll be group tasks in the morning followed by interviews in the afternoon. Some will have the interview at 2 and be away at 3, some finished at 4, and some will be finished at 5. They tend to ask if anyone needs away for travel sharp, when organising the interviews.

Just be yourself, enjoy it, and try to build a little bit of rapport with your group before actually going in for the group tasks - helps a lot!

Thank you, just had a form emailed and struggling with what to put on what's made easyJet a success, any thoughts anyone.:)

o_rey28
5th Jul 2017, 11:20
Thanks George.

You mention a couple of times about a timeline of payments that CTC/L3CTS outline but I'm struggling to find one. Is this something that they provide you with upon commencement of training?

gbotley
5th Jul 2017, 11:46
Thank you, much appreciated.

In short, yes it's provided alongside all of your contracts etc.

Payment wise, I couldn't possibly comment on what your own schedule would be like. MPL and airline courses vary considerably and payments amounts be larger in value per instalment albeit with less instalments overall. The payment schedule for my Whitetail course went something like this:

~£5k deposit with contract
~£5k 1 month prior to starting
~£24,800 Whitetail Foundation payment in month 5 paid to L3 Airline Academy.

Note, the bond payments of ~£5,300 also started in month 5 and are paid until the balance of training is cleared. Bond payments are made out to the sponsoring body which is a separate legal entity altogether. I'm now 11 months into my course and a grand total of £78,000 indebted to various parties. It's an investment that shouldn't be taken lightly for that figure haunts me on the daily especially when BBVA are so kind to remind you of the interest in your monthly statement.

I hope that helps.

gbotley
5th Jul 2017, 11:51
what's made easyJet a success

If that's an application question this year then you'll find tons of resources on the corporate easyJet website and other such aviation websites. PPRuNe isn't the place to find those answers for the airline is assessing you as the individual. Grab a bit of paper and brainstorm the hell out of it before then trying to squeeze all of the juicy detail into a character/word limit. There's plenty out to be found as the company sure isn't afraid of shouting past success.

Here's the link:
easyJet Corporate Website (http://corporate.easyjet.com/)

You'll find tons of info in here too:
easyJet 2017 Half Year Results (http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2017/easyjet-h1-2017-results.pdf)

Think passenger numbers, think fleet expansion, think revenue per seat and the way they're driving down costs to increase it. I'd also look how it's fighting back on competition in key markets etc..etc. All of this is found at the second link. You want to show the team at the FTO/easyJet you've gone digging for treasure and not simply writing gibberish. Having worked in recruitment before it's obvious when it's' the latter.

Good luck!

Matt0
5th Jul 2017, 12:33
I'm on Route 2 with NVQ Level 4 (Professional Diploma). Route 1 & 2 have the same entry requirements.

Thanks for your reply. That's good to hear, I have an HND in engineering so I'm glad to hear that it won't be a problem.

Cheers

Marshallb
6th Jul 2017, 18:48
If that's an application question this year then you'll find tons of resources on the corporate easyJet website and other such aviation websites. PPRuNe isn't the place to find those answers for the airline is assessing you as the individual. Grab a bit of paper and brainstorm the hell out of it before then trying to squeeze all of the juicy detail into a character/word limit. There's plenty out to be found as the company sure isn't afraid of shouting past success.

Here's the link:
easyJet Corporate Website (http://corporate.easyjet.com/)

You'll find tons of info in here too:
easyJet 2017 Half Year Results (http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2017/easyjet-h1-2017-results.pdf)

Think passenger numbers, think fleet expansion, think revenue per seat and the way they're driving down costs to increase it. I'd also look how it's fighting back on competition in key markets etc..etc. All of this is found at the second link. You want to show the team at the FTO/easyJet you've gone digging for treasure and not simply writing gibberish. Having worked in recruitment before it's obvious when it's' the latter.

Good luck!

Thank you, done today, let's hope.

Marshallb
7th Jul 2017, 19:19
Received my email to say I hadn't met the criteria on group/interview for easyJet, I thought it had gone really well, can apply in 12 months again. Not sure what way to go now.

Thegreenmachine
7th Jul 2017, 21:49
Chin up, keep plugging away!

jimi_riddler
7th Jul 2017, 22:08
So sorry to hear that, it doesn't mean you won't meet the criteria next time. Which day 2 were you on?

gbotley
8th Jul 2017, 01:15
Received my email to say I hadn't met the criteria on group/interview for easyJet, I thought it had gone really well, can apply in 12 months again. Not sure what way to go now.

Top tip for you, don't give up for many people at these schools, myself included, failed to get in on the first try. There's no denying these airline schemes are competitive!

I'd recommend taking a step back and assessing your own performance to improve it for next time. When i failed I knew deep down the exact cause so set about working on it :D

Aviation won't be going anywhere anytime soon :-)

Marshallb
8th Jul 2017, 06:11
I was on the 6th July assessment, just wondering what my plans should be now, work and get my PPL or carrying do another year at my aviation diploma.
Think I really thought it had gone well, passed maths, pilpat etc. Had funding in place.

jimi_riddler
8th Jul 2017, 08:10
As said above I also know a lot of people who got in second time around. There is absolutely no shame in it. If anything it's a good show of your determination to achieve. 12 months is such a short time in the grand scheme of things so learn from your experience and use it to your advantage next time around.

Chris the Robot
8th Jul 2017, 08:55
You've got until you're at least 35, possibly 40 in some cases, in order to make it onto one of these airline programmes. So, the best bet is to keep applying, remember, other programmes will likely open in the near future. Make sure you get feedback from your application with Easyjet and find out when you can next apply for one of the L3 programmes with another airline.

In the meantime, look for a career outside of aviation that you'd be happy in.

Matt0
8th Jul 2017, 13:32

Sorry to hear that mate. Luckily there is always another time so all hope isn't lost.

Are you able to share what group activities they gave you and what type of behaviour/attitude they were looking for?

Thanks

o_rey28
8th Jul 2017, 16:58
If you pass the stage 2 assessment, do you book the stage 3 the same way you booked the stage 2?

flyingintheclouds
8th Jul 2017, 17:14
If you pass the stage 2 assessment, do you book the stage 3 the same way you booked the stage 2?

Indeed you do!

planesandthings
8th Jul 2017, 19:48
I was on the 6th July assessment, just wondering what my plans should be now, work and get my PPL or carrying do another year at my aviation diploma.
Think I really thought it had gone well, passed maths, pilpat etc. Had funding in place.

Just keep involved with aviation in any respect, whether it's volunteering at your local museum, getting some related education or working at your local flying club while doing some PPL/Gliding, show you made use of this time to do something useful, if you like flying that much it should be a no brainer.

And next time always have a plan B beforehand :}, putting all your eggs in one basket expecting one result never leads to the strongest position, whether you're in the cockpit or in your case trying to pass :)

Best of luck.

jimi_riddler
9th Jul 2017, 08:14
Sorry to hear that mate. Luckily there is always another time so all hope isn't lost.

Are you able to share what group activities they gave you and what type of behaviour/attitude they were looking for?

Thanks

There's two group activities, one practical and one theoretical (they ask not to share content). There are no right or wrong answers it's about how you work in a team and how you present yourself.

As for behaviours/attitudes.....just be yourself. If you try to be someone you aren't they'll pick up on it very quickly. Remember one of easyJets values is integrity!

Best of luck!

Matt0
9th Jul 2017, 22:11
Hey Guys,

During the training, are you paid or receive a monthly allowance from easyJet?

Thanks

EGPF
10th Jul 2017, 10:27
No, you must pay during the training in instalments. The total money you need to pay is about £123,000.

However, after you complete training and have been given the job, you are given £69,000 back in instalments for the next seven years with your pay tax free.

Speedbird148
10th Jul 2017, 11:53
Maybe someone on the course could clarify but I don't believe you are given anything back other than some small form of tax relief if you are UK based. I would go into this on the basis you wont see any of the £100K+ coming back your way.

EGPF
10th Jul 2017, 12:26
Yes nothing is absolutely garunteed however L3CTS say,

"Training Security Bond solution
Airline Placement Limited (APL), a wholly owned subsidiary company of L3 CTS, will provide a Training Sponsorship for the Basic and Intermediate phases (excluding the initial Foundation Element of the Basic phase).

Training Sponsorship represents a significant investment, and to mitigate the risk to APL (the sponsor), you will be required to deposit a Training Security Bond of £69,000 which will be held by APL.

We provide a unique opportunity for your Training Security Bond to be repaid to you over a period of 7 to 9 years once fully employed by an Airline Partner.

Please note: This is not payment for training."

EGPF
10th Jul 2017, 14:47
Interesting, where are you getting these figures from may I ask?

Matt0
10th Jul 2017, 15:00
No, you must pay during the training in instalments. The total money you need to pay is about £123,000.

However, after you complete training and have been given the job, you are given £69,000 back in instalments for the next seven years with your pay tax free.

Thanks for your reply, I wasn't sure that by having a sponsor on whether you would receive a small annual wage. As otherwise you will need additional savings for food, holidays, car etc.

flyingintheclouds
10th Jul 2017, 16:26
Hey Guys,

During the training, are you paid or receive a monthly allowance from easyJet?

Thanks

I think people have misread your question! The answer to this is no you do not, you will have to fund living expenses yourself or through the loan.

Rutherford12
10th Jul 2017, 18:40
Is anyone aware of the sort of things you are tested on in the computer tests undertaken in the first stages of the CTC training?

rod_1986
10th Jul 2017, 19:39
Just so I know, are BBVA still doing the loans (reports in May that they'd stopped), has another provider stepped in, or is everybody starting this year just flush with £109k in their/Mum and Dad's/Granny's back pocket? :confused:

jimi_riddler
10th Jul 2017, 20:08
BBVA are still taking on new applicants until November. However their lending criteria is very strict and unless you are towards the end of paying off your mortgage or motgage free then the likelihood of borrowing the full amount is very slim. Look around for other high street banks as they do offer similar products they just don't brand them as pilot training loans and thus don't charge the earth to set them up. Best of luck.

Millasaurus
10th Jul 2017, 20:37
Apparently if you contact them they will give you the info as usual, give it a go. Last I heard was that they were stopping the loans in November later this year.

EGPF
10th Jul 2017, 21:08
Is anyone aware of the sort of things you are tested on in the computer tests undertaken in the first stages of the CTC training?

You will be tested on many things such as mental maths, hand to eye coordination and spatial awareness through these computer tests.

This is called a pilot aptitude test and there are many online packages to practice the "core skills" as they say however they are not 100% accurate of what tests you may see as I've heard easyJet change their tests once in a while.

Here's an example of an online package that lets you practice for easyJet specifically:https://pilotaptitudetest.com/knowledgebase/easyjet/

There are also many good blogs you could find online of candidates who have gone through the process.

Best of luck.

gbotley
10th Jul 2017, 21:52
Where the bond is concerned I certainly wouldn't use it as a deductible from course costs / loan repayments in any future financial planning. It's an incredibly clever way of saving costs for all parties and also a way for L3/CTS to ensure your performance. If you're going for the easyJet MPL then do so presuming you're going to be paying the full sum and then forget about the bond for now. It shouldn't really be a deciding factor. At the request of the moderators here I shall not post a link, but those aware of my blog will find an article there related to it.

In respect of the pre-Dibden tests - if they're even being employed this round - then they're called Cut-E. Employers can pick and choose a combination of tests so who knows what battery you'll get this time. Dibden tests are PILAPT. Again, lots is documented on these on several cadet blogs and latestpilotjobs.com, pilotaptitudetest.com, and SkyTest will provide an idea as to what to expect.

Living expenses wise, budget a few thousand for that. Despite how much we moan about Britain at least we've the infrastructure. It certainly isn't cheap to live in New Zealand where easyJet prefer you be sent.

jimi_riddler
11th Jul 2017, 11:40
I was told 2-3 weeks..... who knows!