PDA

View Full Version : Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

oicur12.again
2nd Sep 2015, 20:52
In a conversation today with a recruiter from Skywest (USA, not oz), he mentioned that they are now sponsoring Australian pilots to obtain work visas.

I think a basic ATPL is all that is required.

I am out of touch with the oz scene and this may be common knowledge to you folk down under but I thought it was interesting.

I suspect some of the other regionals probably sponsor as well and some are upgrading in less than 12 months.

Something to consider for a young guy or gal looking for something different.

cheers

flying_a_nix_box
2nd Sep 2015, 21:50
There is a special E3 visa as part of one of the free trade agreements between the US and Australia. To get it you basically just need an offer of a job in the US so no massive green card issues etc.......

c100driver
2nd Sep 2015, 22:17
The definition of “specialty occupation” is one that requires:
- A theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge; and

- The attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

First page of the E3 VISA requirements, doubt many would qualify.

The Bullwinkle
2nd Sep 2015, 23:18
doubt many would qualify.
Why???
Almost every pilot I fly with would meet those qualifications.

c100driver
2nd Sep 2015, 23:53
Are you telling me that all your pilots have Batchelor or higher degrees?

Very few Airline pilots I know have degrees!

HappyBandit
3rd Sep 2015, 00:43
Bullwinkle

Many I fly with, including myself do possess a Bachelors degree. However, many of whom do not possess degrees in aviation.

oicur12.again
3rd Sep 2015, 01:36
The recruiter mentioned they had approval to employ pilots for only 3 countries, Australia being one.

I suspect it may be an arrangement thats different to the usual visa stream?

Sue Ridgepipe
3rd Sep 2015, 01:39
Which means they can't find enough locals willing to do the job. Hmmm, I wonder why that is? It wouldn't have anything to do with the salary package on offer would it?

KRUSTY 34
3rd Sep 2015, 01:51
Unless things have changed dramatically in recent times, the worst Aussie Regional for wages and conditions, would be light years ahead of any American counterpart.

Tell 'em their dreaming.

josephfeatherweight
3rd Sep 2015, 01:55
I think they offer food stamps too, so you should be able to source a meal every now and then...

Horatio Leafblower
3rd Sep 2015, 01:59
I have an ATPL, a B.Sc, and about 15kg extra around my guts.

Maybe I should apply! :E

Metro man
3rd Sep 2015, 03:26
On regional wages you will be bunked up four to a room, bathroom time needs to be booked to accommodated the eight pilots sharing the one apartment.

Fortunately as schedules differ this isn't as big a problem as it would be if everyone was 9-5.

The varieties of instant noodles available these days makes living on them less of a chore than a few years ago.

Take up dumpster diving, you would be amazed at what supermarkets throw out, most of which is still edible.

c100driver
3rd Sep 2015, 03:59
With the vitriol on PPrune regarding entry of foreign pilots from overseas getting visas to work in New Zealand and Aussie I wonder what the American pilots think of alien pilots flying in the USA.

oicur12.again
3rd Sep 2015, 04:32
"It wouldn't have anything to do with the salary package on offer would it?"

Yes, the wages are lower than oz.

But a young pilot starting out looking for a first jet job will have plenty of time to chase the dollars later.

Maybe broadening ones horizons by climbing out of the ozzie pond can be . . . . fun.

Or is that discouraged?

B772
3rd Sep 2015, 05:14
c100driver

The fine print is (or its equivalent)

Seriously, if anyone interested is unemployed in Aust or in a dead end job they should seize the opportunity while it is available.

If you have not visited the US previously visit for 2-3 weeks and have a look around. You may be surprised !

You do not need a US Passport or an ATP to fly with a regional. You can even have some disabilities provided you can sit in a seat with the shoulder harness fastened.

One carrier (250 a/c) I am aware of has the following requirements.

Age 21 to 46
Minimum CPL
Minimum 1200 hours total time (some as low as 500)
Minimum 200 hours multi engine (some as low as 100)
Minimum 100 hours instrument

c100driver
3rd Sep 2015, 05:29
Indentured servitude comes to mind!

The visa is also renewable every two years for an indefinite period of time. So you can basically work on it for as long as you’re employed. By contrast, the H1B visa is valid for up to 10 years. However, you should note that the e3 visa is not a dual-intent visa, so applicants must reasonably demonstrate non-immigrant intent before they can get one.

Filing fees for this type of visa are also significantly lower than the ones for the H1B. And while the e3 visa technically is a temporary work permit, it’s renewable every two years; meaning you can remain in the U.S. indefinitely so long as you’re employed with the sponsoring company.

A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts are specialty occupations.

e3 Visa Requirements: Qualifying Candidates

First and foremost, you’re going to need to satisfy certain mandatory e3 visa requirements in terms of education and work experience. The e3 visa is a professional work visa intended for professional individuals.

As such, this means that you have to have the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree, a great deal of experience in your field (more than 10 years), or some combination thereof (for instance, an associate’s degree and 6 years of education). Basically, your education or work experience have to be enough to make you employable for a “specialty occupation” under the USCIS’s guidelines of “academic or other qualifications demonstrating qualifications for the position.” And not only do you need to be qualified, but the position needs to qualify as well.

vee1-rotate
3rd Sep 2015, 05:37
I'm currently in the US on an E3 in a non flying aviation job, and have a buddy heading here soon to take a position in a flying job on the E3 as well. It's an awesome visa, and can be obtained in a matter of weeks. No cost involved besides the visa interview, and as mentioned above, indefinitely renewable as long as your employed.

I think the best part about it for younger guys and girls looking to take up a position at a regional here is that, yes, the starting wage and conditions are horrid but looking further beyond that, the opportunities available after gaining some hours and experience can not be matched, certainly not in Australia by any means.

My company here has a 23 year old in the right seat of a Citation X business jet, absolutely smashing the hours and earning 70k a year to do it.

Alloyboobtube
3rd Sep 2015, 08:06
Great for a young person, the cost of living along with lower taxes would mean you're probably better off than living in Australia, especially Sydney.
Also if you meet a nice gal there and get married the major Airlines will recruit you .
Nothing bad here....

biglanchow
3rd Sep 2015, 08:58
oicur12 . . Can I assume you are 1 and the same regardless of the "again"?

Thank you for going to the effort in posting this, although I have 7,000TT, 3,000+ Twin Command etc all on Saabs/Q400 I would seriously consider a posting in Seattle if a DEC was possible.

oicur12.again
3rd Sep 2015, 14:15
biglanchow

Ring the recruiters at Horizon, they have crew based in SEA and fly the Q400.

Some are paying a sign on bonus if you are typed.

Dont know about upgrade times though.

DUXNUTZ
3rd Sep 2015, 14:17
The U.S. Is a great place to get a start in aviation. Much more practical and less 'space shuttle' requirements for various jobs. I got a go on a turboprop after a slow burn trying to gain piston twin time here...

Icing conditions, big airports, small airports. Really enjoyed it and should never have left!

LeadSled
3rd Sep 2015, 14:36
folks,
If you are young and single, go for it!!
Tootle pip!!

The Bullwinkle
3rd Sep 2015, 15:22
Plenty of guys I work with have a Bachelor of Aviation degree from Griffith University, including me!

bafanguy
3rd Sep 2015, 15:33
I suppose it wouldn't completely surprise me to see a regional doing this. However, it's a big leap from requiring "...the legal right to work in the United States..." [or words to that effect], which most carriers including the big legacies state under requirements, to a company actively recruiting overseas and sponsoring people for visas.

I don't see any statement about sponsorship on Skywest's website. Have you seen it stated in some official place ? It would be a new twist on events here and worthy of a good bit of publicity.

neilki
3rd Sep 2015, 17:29
I can assure you, to fly for a US Regional Airline you need an FAA ATP (or the minimums for) and a US First Class Medical. Having flown in both countries, the US is many, many times busier than Aus, you will likely need some time to get used to traffic density & radio calls etc.
neilki

KRUSTY 34
4th Sep 2015, 00:57
I think this is great.

Go out get some real world experience, while pretending to be a highly trained and experienced professional airline pilot. All the while the travelling public (up to 75 at a time) are blissfully unaware that at least one of the drivers up front is living below the poverty line whilst desperately building hours in the hope of moving on to something better!

I mean FFS, it's not out in GA scratching around the circuit in a 152, or dropping meat bombers, or bank runs, or night freight. Regional flying (especially in the US) is not a F#cking kindergarten!

Many American pilots have woken up, that's why they are casting the net wider. But as long as there are proponents of these scams (Like some of you lot) nothing will change.

vee1-rotate
4th Sep 2015, 04:15
Ahhh, was wondering how long it'd take before the miserable old cnts arrived.

Bankrupt84
4th Sep 2015, 10:16
I think this is great.

Go out get some real world experience, while pretending to be a highly trained and experienced professional airline pilot. All the while the travelling public (up to 75 at a time) are blissfully unaware that at least one of the drivers up front is living below the poverty line whilst desperately building hours in the hope of moving on to something better!

I mean FFS, it's not out in GA scratching around the circuit in a 152, or dropping meat bombers, or bank runs, or night freight. Regional flying (especially in the US) is not a F#cking kindergarten!

Many American pilots have woken up, that's why they are casting the net wider. But as long as there are proponents of these scams (Like some of you lot) nothing will change.

Instead of crtisizing, please give us your pearls of wisdom on how else to make it in this career.

8 years in GA, flying in absolute 3rd world **** holes for low pay and I am no closer to being able to break into an airline job.

This US gig is a good chance for many to build the time required to leap over to the Middle East or Asia.

But if you have better ideas, please let me know. I will be waiting with eager anticipation.

biglanchow
4th Sep 2015, 10:51
oicur12 is a good fella.

He may be on the other side of the world but has always shown a healthy interest in Aviation in this country. oicur12 has shed a bit of light on what is going on in his part of the world which may be a good thing for some Aussie drivers, don't dish it as I am sure he has better things to do with his time than type here.

I must admit, I don't have it handy what the average Salary for Regional Capt/FO is but I am pretty confident that the only way you will earn 30K a year is if you are an FO on a 1900 and have 300hrs/30hrs multi Command when you turn up - still slightly better after inflation than the "terms and conditions" I worked for in my first job.

Happy to be proven wrong but I bet the salaries are a lot better for people with experience.

I bet as a FO u don't have a Salary/House Price Ratio like Sydney these days, that is, make 80K/yr as a Regional FO but average house price is $1,000,000, average 2 bedroom unit 600,000.

Maybe the U.S. Regional Salaries are not so bad after all?

27/09
4th Sep 2015, 11:21
ADFUS:The decline in the terms and conditions happened on their watch yet they try to pin it on you. Go figure!

Your statement looks like you're trying to pin any decline on T's and C's on the likes of Krusty.

Pot, kettle, black?

T's & C's have changed for many reasons. Those willing to pay for a job by one means or another haven't helped.

I think Krusty is just making the point as to perhaps why US airlines are looking outside the US for pilots when once upon a time they never did this. This sort of gig may be just the job many young pilots are looking for, you don't have to takes his word for it but it sure doesn't hurt to listen to all the info and then make your decision.

KRUSTY 34
4th Sep 2015, 11:23
Here's some pearls of wisdom for ya',

Give up now.

Because the way you guys are going the career you aspire to won't be worth the plastic your license is printed on. I wouldn't worry too much though, if any of you actually make it over to the US, I think you'll find the grass is not only less green, but has died long ago.

The North American Regional scene with regard to pilot lifestyle is absolutely stuffed. But hey don't let a KRUSTY old arseh@le who persevered for 10 years in Aussie G/A influence you! :}

KRUSTY 34
4th Sep 2015, 11:42
Jesus Username'! Getting nasty and personal.

I guess I was just a little bored and thought I'd try to get a rise. Didn't take much! By all means go and find out for yourself, I mean that's what most people do anyway.

Try not to get too depressed however when you find out you are just helping to perpetuate the shear bastardry that has been reined upon a once proud profession! :ok:

Bankrupt84
4th Sep 2015, 11:59
Here's some pearls of wisdom for ya',

Give up now.

Because the way you guys are going the career you aspire to won't be worth the plastic your license is printed on. I wouldn't worry too much though, if any of you actually make it over to the US, I think you'll find the grass is not only less green, but has died long ago.

The North American Regional scene with regard to pilot lifestyle is absolutely stuffed. But hey don't let a KRUSTY old arseh@le who persevered for 10 years in Aussie G/A influence you! :}

HA! 10 years in Australian GA, a cake walk. Africa and PNG is where I have been cutting my teeth, also some instructing in Aus.

In any regards, I don't wish this to be about who has it tougher, that's all relative.

The inconvenient truth is that in order for me to get the higher paying jobs, I need the jet experience in order to do so.

Where can you get that experience? Well it looks like the USA would be a good option.

The T&C are crap, I am well aware. I am living in Zambia at the moment where we are having load shedding for 12hrs day. So USA is looking a whole lot better than my current employment, once again it's all relative.

Krusty, your only advice is for me to give up, I refuse to do so.
I have too much invested into this career and would like to see it thru. And perhaps if I take the sacrifises now, I might end up like you with a nice paying job in the future.

Always willing to hear and apply advice from guys/gals who have made it in this career. But when getting responses such as "give up" you realise how bitter and twisted those people have become.

lee_apromise
4th Sep 2015, 12:01
This looks like a good choice for Aussies not being able to move to airlines in Australia. When was the last time QF actually hired people from the street? Pre-2007 I believe?

Expect to make about $2K to $2.5K a month whilst flying as a regional FO in U.S but as a single, you will survive. Some of my instructors had to do extra part time jobs to feed their families. Get the hours and move on. If you somehow can get green card, even better. Move to US majors.

Hell, I've got my U.S commercial certificates but have been flying only turboprop in South East Asia. I'd definitely go to U.S just go get some jet hours and move onto a greener pasture.

But is this thing real? E-3 visa still requires U.S employers to prove that they can't find Americans to fill the positions.

j3pipercub
4th Sep 2015, 12:35
Yeah Krusty, the truth helps no-one.

Where's my shiny jet? I'll happily move to the other side of the world and get paid crap. That means in a couple more years I can move to the opposite side of the world and get paid better crap to work for MRats. They don't need jet time anymore you see, plus have you seen the SIZE of their shiny jets? The Super in the A380 callsign stands for SUPER SHINY!

With all the technology these days I can watch my parents get old and frail from the other side of the world. I'll fly home every six months, which will turn into every year, then every couple of years. I feel guilty coming home infrequently and the only real way to assuage the guilt is to come home more infrequently. By the time it comes to bury them I'll feel almost nothing as I won't have seen them for almost a decade.

Any friends I had back 'down under' will move on with their lives, sparing an occassional thought for me living 'the life' globetrotting. Meanwhile I'll be onto my third wife and cheating on her with hopefully my fourth. At this rate I'll be working until I'm 70 (until the fourth wife is 40) but ICAO just outlawed that. If I'm lucky, really lucky, maybe I'll have a heart attack at 64 and pass mercifully in my superficial cookie cutter condo in the desert with a Scotch in hand. Not that I really ever liked the taste of Scotch, but all the other pilots seemed to. Maybe that's the scam, no-one does, but everyone wants to feel 'sophisticated'. What is an acquired taste anyway?

A bunch of people who I never really liked will have a half hearted wake in a place I grew to hate calling home, and never really was. I'll be boxed up and sent back to a place that wasn't home for nearly 4 decades.

It was all over in the blink of an eye. Was it worth the sacrifice? Who knows.

So...what sort of 'equipment' will we all be flying in the states? Hopefully this sort of stuff, all looks really cool! Lots of shiny jets in the video.

veoh - So You Want to be a Regional Airline Pilot? (http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v15759358A7a6kYTA)

Yes I know the video is almost a decade old, but do you really think things would have improved if they are allowing foreign pilots in?

j3

josephfeatherweight
4th Sep 2015, 12:57
J3,
Absolutely brilliant!
:D

Skye9
4th Sep 2015, 13:39
You guys should check out the regional forum on apc. That will give you an idea of what is going on over here and what you can expect if you decide to make the leap. Not airline here, former Brit in corporate been in the U.S. For 20+ years now and seen a lot of changes in the corporate flying world and airlines.

B772
4th Sep 2015, 14:01
In most cases no training agreement in the US Regionals if you agree to stay for 2 years. A sign-on incentive of up to USD12,500 is available with Republic Airways.

see Republic Airways | Home (http://www.rjet.com)

MartinCh
4th Sep 2015, 14:24
There are plenty 135 ops pilots and instructors who'd get paycut and have to leave home, pay for crashpad and dead head to see family, so they don't bother with regionals, now that the ATP (or restricted ATP, if having av degree or ex-mil, courtesy of EmbryRidicule lobby) is mandatory for 121 ops incl SIC.

There's NEVER EVER shortage of pilots to fill spots in USA, just willing to put up with T&Cs incl pay, roster, base uncertainty etc.

I can only recommend young eagle eyed pilots after couple years in GA, to go ahead. DO MAKE SURE YOU MEET FAA ATP or very close to it, as the 50hrs twin totals can include the advanced sim now required for ATP written, which'd be part of the type rating with airline. That includes plenty night time (100), 500hrs FAA XC (EDIT: RESTRICTED ATP 200HRS XC AND THE 50NM WAYPOINT OK WITHOUT LANDING FOR ATP ONLY, aeroplane or 25nm in heli), 75hrs instrument of which 50 in flight, as mentioned some of the twin time at least. Then you'd stand better chance, as saying the old CAR 5 ATP is good for FAA ATP ain't good enough.

E3 visa for Australian citizens is great thing for specialised jobs where one can get experience in US more easily and I recommend SINGLE youngsters meeting the ATP issue hours to try it. If anything, with job offshore, you'd free up GA spot for next low-timer and down the chain of jobs, then when back in Oz, won't be aiming for less than Dash, ERJ or other twinjet.

WIN WIN WIN situation. The market's not gonna change in US too much, unless the free hand of economy forces airlines to pay living salary and those who have other jobs with better quality of life and unable to get paycut for couple years before they're back on same salary on bigger airliner or as Capt, don't care that much about 'stealing jobs' they don't really want.

Edited as block caps above. Just checked and since they can do R-ATP with airlines even without any total time reduction - ie 1500hrs TT, but not the usual 500hrs xc for ATP. That fishes them people not flying far away much - skydivers drops, instructing locally etc.

oicur12.again
4th Sep 2015, 17:20
For those interested,

I spoke to the recruiter at Skywest today and indicated that they have been accepting applications from Australians for several months now.

They will sponsor the applicant for a visa but they will not pay relocation. To apply, tick yes to the drop down question “do you require sponsorship”.

Its not perfect and the US is more expensive to live in than most Australians realize but if the alternative is bashing around in a Navajo or a Metro as I did, then I know which I would chose to do for a couple of years.

Krusty,

Its great that you have an opinion, it really is.

But comments like these . . . .

“ . . . while pretending to be a highly trained and experienced professional airline pilot.”

. . . . are actually offensive.

There is no pretending. These regional pilots fly high performance jets into some weather, terrain and elevation combinations that have no comparison in Australia.

The training is mandated by the FAA and is the same as a major carrier, as is the safety record.

“All the while the travelling public (up to 75 at a time) are blissfully unaware that at least one of the drivers up front is living below the poverty line whilst desperately building hours . . . .”

Most captains at Skywest would be 4500 hours plus and most FO’s would be 1000 hours plus. Would you level this criticism at airlines such as Dragonair where “at least one of the drivers” has considerably less experience that their Skywest counterpart?

bafanguy
4th Sep 2015, 17:51
While some folks may be content with life at a US regional, they are generally NOT viewed here as a career destination: get the experience...move on. There's plenty to criticize about it but it just is what it is...and that's an entirely different subject.

oicur12.again,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize any US carrier had taken to formal sponsorship.

To get to the “do you require sponsorship” drop-down you mention, did you have to fill out the actual application itself ? I couldn't find it by just scanning the pilot employment section of their website.

[I'm not looking for a job nor is any job looking for me ! I'm just curious.]

ad-astra
4th Sep 2015, 22:39
PPRuNe (Downunder) at its very best and worst.

Glass half full pilots trying to get ahead, provide some useful information and help to similarly minded pilots in an industry that is more than tough at the best of times.

Glass half empty pilots (some of them possibly pilots) who have literally nothing better to do with their time to either throw advice down from their heady heights of Mt Wisdom or try to discourage anyone who has just a tad more intestinal fortitude than themselves.

For those that see what this opportunity may or may not offer give it a go.

Carpe Diem.

Just remember that you may have to fly with some of these discouraging drop kicks some time in the future so keep that glass half full!

Good Luck!

Gate_15L
4th Sep 2015, 22:40
I did something similar. I was young and single.

I'm now older and married, sitting at home where I grew up (not in the sandpit) and in the LHS of a narrowbody jet. I even see my kids for 20 days of the month that I'm not away. The first wife is still putting up with me. I'm under 40 years old. (don't believe everything you read in a profile..)

It worked for me.

Opportunities are what you make of it.

Sure there are going to be hardships, there are going to be hardships whether your sitting around Kunnas or bashing around Bots or dashing around in a American Regional. Each is a different challenge. We learn and get that sought after "experience" through challenges.
When or even if you do decide to come home, who are they going to hire? Someone with 1000s of hours in a clapped out twin or 1000s hours of jet regional time. I've seen it before, but all the recruiters see is previous airline experience.

I've been on PPrune a reasonable amount of time. (2010 is just my second login start date :O) I had just finished my CPL when I stumbled on this site. The naysayers were louder and more numerous when I was trying to start out.

Ignore them. I did. They may have valid points which when analyzed, can be mitigated. Its also up to you to make sure you line up all your ducks in a row.

Sure you can be idealistic like KRUSTY and j3pipercub. They are entitled to
their opinions. I have no problem with that. The problem is, if you buy into their baggage too much, you'll get nowhere and at the end of the day, KRUSTY, j3 and co aren't paying you to sit around passing up jobs to be idealistic.

GO out there and make it happen.

KRUSTY 34
5th Sep 2015, 02:44
Gotta love those consecutive 12 hour days.

Now before some of you shoot from the hip, try learning to "Play the Ball".

911 was a traumatic time with far reaching consequences, but what an even cursory glacé will reveal, is the sheer opportunism that followed. Sure, initially it was about survival, but now 15 years later it's all backslapping and "World's best practice". Once hard won conditions and ultimately career satisfaction are destroyed, they never come back. This the new reality of the American Regional scene. I mean a CRJ captain earning the princely sum of $90K! Sad days.

My remarks about "pretending to be a real Airline pilot" was not meant to insult. But that's exactly how the perpetrators of this crime see you. As I said, regional flying, which now accounts for more than 60% of US domestic travel is by that very fact alone an extremely serious business.

I don't think it too much for the travelling public to expect the pilots up front to be paid a commensurate amount, both in wages and lifestyle of the value of the cargo they are entrusted with.

I don't have the link, but if someone could post Chelsey Sullenburgers latest address to Congress (January this year I think) maybe his take on some of this will be accepted as a little more diplomatic.

Good luck all.

swh
5th Sep 2015, 03:04
The offer here was so poor the union did not even put it to the membership for a vote.

Republic Airways Submits Last, Best and Final Offer to IBT Local 357 | Business Wire (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150821005570/en/Republic-Airways-Submits-Final-Offer-IBT-Local#.Vepa8sTXeK0)

Berealgetreal
5th Sep 2015, 05:46
Guys, smell the coffee. 20 Million people 4 carriers with long seniority lists. If you stick around here one thing I can assure you of is that you will never get past the right seat of a narrowbody jet IF you are lucky. Most likely you'll be flying some ****box turboprop for the rest of your days.

You will be even luckier if you can make it through your career without the outfit you join closing and finding yourself mowing lawns to pay off your Sydney mortgage.

I suspect their regionals are the equivalent of our GA. What are the TC's of their majors? Any retirements coming up? Think outside the square.

Best of luck.

KRUSTY 34
5th Sep 2015, 06:08
The penny has finally dropped! Minimum requirement ATPL. Missed the wood for the trees on that one.

After years of seeing this coming, rather than putting in place initiatives to help reinvigorate and sustain the profession, they suddenly go looking overseas.

It's good to see that at least Airline Managements across the World are equally predictable.

c100driver
5th Sep 2015, 06:37
I trust that none here would complain if the reciprocal arrangement for American pilots on 457 to work and fly in Aussie on the regionals?

KRUSTY 34
5th Sep 2015, 06:58
We have and they do! In fact for not that dissimilar reasons.

The difference here of course is that our regional Airlines offer vastly greater T&C's than our American counterparts. No doubt why they came over.

The challenge for us of course is to stand united to stop the same rot setting in here.

neville_nobody
5th Sep 2015, 09:16
Movement in Australia will be glacial at best for the next 10 years so if you can get some jet time overseas I'd say go for it.

Really what are the options? Hang around in GA on a similar low salary, or go to a regional here on say ~50k a year.

If you go to Republic it looks like you are straight into a jet. I imagine a few years and you can get onto a Embraer and you have the option of going to the middle east.

With the high number of compulsory retirements coming up in the USA there may be alot of movement through the system.

biglanchow
5th Sep 2015, 10:43
Krusty

Yep 90K plus allowances but you can not compare that to Australia. I been in the US many times and I can assure you when you fill up the trolley at the grocery store, there appears to be a hell of a lot more change out of a hundred dollars at the checkout. Abit of time over there makes you realise how much of a rip off this country actually is. The only good thing is Medicare but I am sure Abbott has that in his sights to fund tax cuts for the Coal Industry or Rupert Murdoch?

Real Estate is a lot cheaper so as long as you were not living in a major US city, 90K would be enough for a decent house.

Some things are the same, if you choose to live in New York or Sydney as a Regional Captain, then you probably need to do some casual Space Shuttle flying on your days off unless you are happy to raise a family in a 2 bedroom unit.

KRUSTY 34
5th Sep 2015, 11:00
Gidday biglanchow,

You'd be surprised what a Regional Captain in Oz can earn, and probably equally surprised at the lifestyle many enjoy. Most Captains I know regularly clear well in excess of $4,000 per fortnight. The kicker is, although there is usually some measure of overtime in that, the hours they work still come nowhere near the pilots depicted in the video. That's right, no 12 hour back to back days!

But the reality is that this thread is all about chasing opportunities overseas, and obviously the aforementioned life is not for everyone, and that's fair enough. Although you will need at least an ATPL just to get a foot in the door.

As I've said, best of luck boys and girls, but be mindful of what you wish for.

biglanchow
5th Sep 2015, 20:32
Yep, I know what they earn as I am one :ok:

rockarpee
6th Sep 2015, 10:08
Regional Capt's CLEARING well in excess of 4 grand a fortnight, what the hell are we all whinging about, I want that gig and I fly widebody.....:confused:

KRUSTY 34
6th Sep 2015, 10:44
Absolutely rockarpee.

Helped in no small measure by the same short sighted greed that now see American Regionals scrambling for right seaters with ATPL's. Because they killed off the Golden Goose that laid those little eggs years ago!

If they don't get them (and I sincerely doubt they will in any quantity), then they'll either adapt (unlikely), or die. And in the end wondering What the F#ck happened!

rmcdonal
6th Sep 2015, 23:55
Most Captains I know regularly clear well in excess of $4,000 per fortnight.
Not sure where you work, Most of the guys I know would clear $3100 with maybe an extra $200-$400 in allowances max. To clear $4K would need a pile of extensions or working RDOs.

Luke SkyToddler
7th Sep 2015, 00:55
Just out of interest, the E3 visa has been around for over 10 years now, has it been possible to do this all this time and nobody knew, or has something changed recently?

CAR42ZE
7th Sep 2015, 02:58
It's taken a while for the visa benefits to filter through to employers and for them to realise how easy it is to employ an Aussie (after the employer applies to the DOL for approval that is)...

Hoofharted
7th Sep 2015, 09:59
Interesting reading so far.

I have done the expat thing and have a slightly different slant on it, as I did it for the "adventure" not the SJS (shiny jet syndrome). I was already employed by a major at the time when I woke up one morning (recently separated) and said f$%k it, I'm off to broaden my horizons. 2 operators and many years later I am back in roughly the equivalent position I left 8 years ago.

Pros - the experience I have gained as a human being (and also as a pilot :}) is something I would never have gained if I had stayed in Aus. Like it or not, we are a very very parochial bunch here and believe it or not, we are not the worlds best pilots as we may like to think. Funny enough the crushing loneliness that one feels from time to time as a result of being away from friends and family, has led to a much more well rounded view of the world and a better relationship with those dearest to me now that I am back home.

Cons - It has cost me financially and a command in a city of my choosing with a major. More importantly it has cost me some time and experiences that could have been spent with my children, but somehow I always managed to get back to see them reasonably regularly. See above - the con did become a pro.

My advice is if you are single go for the adventure and see where it leads you regardless of the money, time on type or crappy places you may sleep. If you are single but have kids, think long and hard before you commit to an overseas jaunt - I previously used the term "crushing" when trying to describe the feelings that some time overwhelm you when you are away from your little ones, I'm not exaggerating.

So often we get caught up with where we are and where we think we should be without enjoying the ride along the way. I know I sound like some silly old coot but this has been my experience and I hope it helps - would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

dlcmdrx
7th Sep 2015, 11:14
10000 signing bonus along an 80000 bonus on top of regular pay if you stay 3 years on the regional.

Upgrade in a year or less.

Wish i was australian, we spaniards dont seem to get this great opportunity right now.

KRUSTY 34
7th Sep 2015, 11:29
Let me see.... Provided of course if it's true?

10000 up front, and 80000 as a bonus if you stay 3 years. That's about 3 and a half years pay at the typical American Regional F/O's rate! Holy crap, things are more desperate that I thought. Get over there boys and girls, too good to miss.

Wait a minute, (Spain) it's not in Pesos is it? :eek:

oicur12.again
7th Sep 2015, 18:09
"I trust that none here would complain if the reciprocal arrangement for American pilots on 457 to work and fly in Aussie on the regionals?"

Why would anyone complain. Visa's are only issued when there are not enough locals to fill the seats. You cant really have it both ways.

FLAPSSET
7th Sep 2015, 18:55
For an Australian pilot, is the visa only available to aviation degree holders?
Or can the degree be in any discipline; since the majors in the states only require a degree in any discipline.

bafanguy
8th Sep 2015, 10:22
FLAPSSET,

I'd have to guess but I can't see the visa program requiring a dedicated "aviation" degree in this circumstance. Skywest itself doesn't mention a degree as a requirement at all. In fact, most regionals here either don't mention it or list a degree as "preferred".

This, as you've likely seen, from the visa requirements:

"...and at least the attainment of a bachelor's degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States."

With typical fuzzy government-speak, it's hard to know what "...or its equivalent..." means...sounds like a bit of wriggle room there. Skywest has likely noodled this out with the our kakistocracy.

Maybe the OP could shed some light on this ?

hobo335
8th Sep 2015, 11:47
In regards to this Skywest Visa sponsorship that has been mentioned, where about does it actually state this?
Out of curiosity I have had a little gander and can't for the life of me see it anywhere that they will sponsor overseas pilots...more than happy to be told otherwise...my computer-majiggin skills aint what they used to be.

bafanguy
8th Sep 2015, 13:02
hobo,

I had asked the same question earlier in this thread. I couldn't find the specific statement either.

I did stumble across this wrinkle though:

Let's see if I understand this correctly…I might not.

Skywest Airlines is owned by the corporate umbrella that also owns Expressjet Airlines.

http://inc.skywest.com/corporate-information/who-we-are/?t=expressjet

In the Expressjet list of pilot quals, there's this statement:

"Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship"

It's interesting that one airline under the same corporate ownership is said to being sponsoring expats for pilot employment but another carrier under that same ownership specifically says it isn't.

Maybe Expressjet being an ALPA carrier and, IIUC, Skywest isn't ?

ExpressJet Pilot Qualifications | ExpressJet Airlines (http://www.expressjet.com/careers/pilots/qualifications/)

cvg2iln
9th Sep 2015, 01:25
Real Estate is a lot cheaper so as long as you were not living in a major US city, 90K would be enough for a decent house.

Post #56. Decent house as in 90K US $? Completely, totally and absolutely delusional. Show me this house from which you be within 1 hr available for reserve in the assigned domicile. And as a new hire, on reserve you will be, not that it really matters as limited days off even as a line holder will make commuting to the 90K house in the country something of a challenge.

Employment may perhaps be offered but the terms will be rooted at the bottom of seniority's totem pole. Best you realize what every Koala at the base of the eucalyptus sees when looking up at those above. Not nice. Which is why the package is being thrown out for foreign talent to pick up.

...still single
11th Sep 2015, 05:15
Decent house as in 90K US $? Completely, totally and absolutely delusional. Show me this house from which you be within 1 hr available for reserve in the assigned domicile.

Here it is: 498 Breezewood Rd, Sanford, NC 27330 | Zillow (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/498-Breezewood-Rd-Sanford-NC-27330/107018806_zpid/)

3 bedroom on 2 acres, less than 40 minutes drive from RDU. Sold last year for 72.5k

DeltaT
11th Sep 2015, 09:19
Do any of the so called Regionals in USA go across to Canada? Then the pilots don't need to be from a country with special visa permissions. I am sure I have read of pilots living and flying from USA simply by getting a 90days visa every time they re-enter USA as part of the pilot job.

lee_apromise
11th Sep 2015, 10:04
Do any of the so called Regionals in USA go across to Canada? Then the pilots don't need to be from a country with special visa permissions. I am sure I have read of pilots living and flying from USA simply by getting a 90days visa every time they re-enter USA as part of the pilot job.

A perfect way to be arrested, fined and deported. :ok:

zondaracer
11th Sep 2015, 10:34
@bafanguy , yeah I bet the fact that Expressjet is union and Skywest is non-Union has a significant factor in this.

@DeltaT , many of the U.S. regionals fly into Canada. Skywest flies to Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas but the 90 day VWP will get you in trouble. Visiting crew members must possess a C1/D visa to enter the US. Foreign crew members do not enter on the visa waiver program when on duty.

biglanchow
11th Sep 2015, 11:02
cvg

Maybe I wrote in wrong but what I meant is if you were MAKING 90K a year and were not living in a major US city, you could afford a decent house. Houses don't cost 1 million/2 bedroom units 600K, like in Sydney.

KnaveF28
13th Sep 2015, 22:11
Before you all get hot and excited about going to work for someone like a U.S regional Id like to add my two cents. We know about the working conditions and the pay but people are saying homes are cheap. No they aren't. Those fifty grand specials you see advertised on the internet are in neighbourhoods you wouldn't go in to in the daytime, let alone after dark. Homes in the U.S are also subject to annual property tax unlike Australia and that varies by state. I can put with a lot of things but dealing with an American Home Owners Association in a high tax state like Wisconsin where the snow reaches your second floor balcony? How about freezing solid in North Dakota for poverty pay and trying to find accommodation when theres none to be found during a shale oil boom? Those trailers get pretty cold at night. Do some research guys.

Average Joe
14th Sep 2015, 11:28
Not many regionals based in ND

oicur12.again
14th Sep 2015, 16:53
Property here in the US is very varied in price depending on where you live.

A Bay Area base with Skywest for example could see you living in northern Marin county, about 1 hour drive from SFO. 250-300k would buy a reasonableish condo.

There are many other cheaper based options with regionals.

atpcliff
15th Sep 2015, 16:40
To fly for a -121 carrier like SkyWest (or ExpressJet or Delta) you need your ATP.

To fly for a -135 carrier (less than 19 seats...all turboprops as far as I know) like Great Lakes, you only need a Commercial License. For those first year FOs with only a Commercial license, Great Lakes pays $21.22/hour, with a 75 hour guarantee: Less than $1600/month, before taxes. Initial Training Pay may be lower.

oicur12.again
15th Sep 2015, 18:08
Received an update today from the recruiter.

They have put on hold employing Australians but will continue to process those that have been offered interviews.

bafanguy
15th Sep 2015, 19:14
oicur12.again,

Did they happen to mention how many Australians had been offered interviews before they put the expat process on hold ? And why the hold was put in place ?

There's been some question in the discussion of this about how many candidates this visa process can yield.

oicur12.again
15th Sep 2015, 22:33
No info was given. He mentioned it was on hold but they may revisit the intake of ozmates and will post it on the website.

A Squared
17th Sep 2015, 05:47
To fly for a -121 carrier like SkyWest (or ExpressJet or Delta) you need your ATP.

To fly for a -135 carrier (less than 19 seats...all turboprops as far as I know) like Great Lakes, you only need a Commercial License. For those first year FOs with only a Commercial license, Great Lakes pays $21.22/hour, with a 75 hour guarantee: Less than $1600/month, before taxes. Initial Training Pay may be lower.

It's nine seats, not 19. More than 9 seats scheduled service and you have to operate under Part 121.

Apparently Great Lakes has modified a bunch of their 1900's so that they only have 9 seats. (I think it requires something more than removing the seats) Sounds a little strange, but Great Lakes' bread and butter is the Essential Air Services for Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc. On an EAS subsidy, it doesn't matter if you carry passengers, you still get paid as long as you land there. I've seen it. Back when it was Big Sky on the EAS contract with Metroliners. I've been at small airports in Montana, watched an empty Metro land and taxi up to the "terminal" the FO would jump out and exchange some paperwork, then he's jump back in and they'd fire up again and take off, empty. Passengers not required when you're subsidized. So, having only 9 seats in a Beech 1900 apparently is not an economic disadvantage.

Apparently, it's cheaper than paying enough to be able to hire pilots with 1500 hours and an ATP.

Initial training pay is non-existent. You go thru training on your own dime. Plus sign a 15 month $7500 training contract.

Any surprise they are having a tough time attracting pilots?

Slugga
17th Sep 2015, 13:56
Anyone too lazy to do the reading/research on Regional Wages...

SwKuSMVCliQ

Spooky 2
18th Sep 2015, 14:50
I doubt if Horizon is recruiting outside of the USA...yet, They are just a little better than the average regional here in the US and I believe they have a quasi flow through to Alaska Airlines which is a very desirable airline here in the US.

Skywest is not bad and while the wages are not stellar they are better than mst of the other regionals. They do have a base in Seattle as well if that's important, A friend of mine got an unsolicited card from Skywest urging him to apply for a position so they must be on an active hiring campaign.

Most if not all major airlines here in the US will not consider you without a four year degree. That may change but I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

j3pipercub
18th Sep 2015, 22:26
Love Doctor,

Come now, you're just being a 'naysayer'. :} (note sarcasm)

Slugga

I posted the original on page 2. I'll do it again here for ease of access. The really scary thing is that if you look at the wages overall, they almost haven't moved. Maybe a couple of grand in 10 years. 10 YEARS. Thats scary.

http://www.veoh.com/m/watch.php?v=v15759358A7a6kYTA

neville_nobody
19th Sep 2015, 00:25
Anyone who decides to take a job like this that pays such atrocious wages is prostituting themselves and their American pilot brothers and really shouldn't be flying anyways.

The reason they are recruiting Australians is because they aren't getting enough applicants from the USA because the wages/conditions are so poor.

Sometimes it is better to say no. Think how much $ and effort your licence took to obtain. You are worth more than $29K per year Don't be so desperate

Very true.

However at entry level jobs you are never going to get much more than that anyway. If you are in the sub 1500TT market you are scratching around on poor salaries anyway.

If you then had the option to fly in a an airline with the opportunity to fly jets for that sort of money which would you pick? The busted arse single flying around Arnhem land or a regional in the USA?

romeocharlie
20th Sep 2015, 04:52
Love Dr, I wondered that while I was prostituting myself for a lot less than 29k a year in GA for the first 7 years. First job flying a 182 - $18,200/year on a station, meatbombing in a cresco paid about late 25k/year, $50/MR hour on a baron for my first twin job eating baked beans 3 times a day hoping some work would come in. Hardly raking it in.

This was mid 2000's and not uncommon. I loved my GA time, but I certainly never got paid well. From what I hear it hasn't improved a great deal since then. Before you bash other countries, go and ask a 210 or baron driver what they're on. I'm more than happy to be corrected, as I'd love to see a station (or stationair) driver get paid reasonably.

skyship007
27th Sep 2015, 22:39
Even United removed the requirement for a US passport or green card some time ago, BUT I doubt if you will get a job without getting an FAA ATP first unless you are a US national.
The US regionals have simply run out of pilots in some cases, so have resorted to the graduate visa game rather than the pay more one.

To get an FAA ATP, once you have the 1500 hrs et al requirement, it will cost 5K plus hotel for the CTP one week course, then a multi IR renewal and the actual ATP course (About another 5K). So budget for about 15 to 20K usd if converting from an EASA license.

A cheap motel room is about 50 usd if your airline has the right connections for a good discount and that includes breakfast.
If you fly 5 hours a day at 20 usd per hour, that means you can just about afford an evening meal and a few cold ones!
Many drivers buy an RV, BUT make sure you know where to park it first and don't buy a big one, as they are more problematic unless you know a few Sheilas who will pay rent.

PS: Still a good deal compared with P2F or P2type etc.

KRUSTY 34
3rd Oct 2015, 11:18
Gone pretty quiet.

Anyone actually got the gig?

bafanguy
3rd Oct 2015, 16:27
KRUSTY,

Kinda wonderin' about that myself. :-)

B772
4th Oct 2015, 10:01
Atpcliff

A Part 135 carrier can operate with a maximum of 30 seats. I am of the opinion most would know this as it is fundamental.

A Squared
4th Oct 2015, 10:54
Atpcliff

A Part 135 carrier can operate with a maximum of 30 seats. I am of the opinion most would know this as it is fundamental.

Not in scheduled passenger operations, which is what is being discussed here. In scheduled operations the maximum number of seats allowed under part 135 is 9 seats, just like I said earlier.

bafanguy
4th Oct 2015, 12:10
This obviously requires the roll out and launch of a Test Aussie who'll apply and provide a reconnaissance assessment. ;-)

A Squared
4th Oct 2015, 12:21
Send Vince.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/crash-test-dummy-527710.jpg

Give him an ANZAC hat and a didgeridoo and send him over.

boofhead
9th Oct 2015, 23:39
I can assure you that Australians are always welcome in the USA.

pithblot
13th Oct 2015, 05:49
....and an interesting change from Ayres Rock scenics.
DC6 First Officer

http://www.evertsair.com/pdf/job_descriptions/DC6.pdf

A Squared
13th Oct 2015, 06:06
....and an interesting change from Ayres Rock scenics.
DC6 First Officer

http://www.evertsair.com/pdf/job_descriptions/DC6.pdf

Yeah, that would be an interesting change, be careful what you ask for though.

Regardless, you must have missed the requirements for US citizenship and US passport at the bottom of the advertisement.

compressor stall
26th Oct 2015, 11:58
US citizenship and US passport at the bottom of the advertisement

And non slip shoes. :}

A Squared
26th Oct 2015, 14:08
And non slip shoes. :}

:) Took me a minute. :p

desertwest
27th Oct 2015, 04:45
Not in scheduled passenger operations, which is what is being discussed here. In scheduled operations the maximum number of seats allowed under part 135 is 9 seats, just like I said earlier.

Look up DOT Part 380. Scheduled operations with turbojet airplanes of up to 30 seats is just fine with DOT and FAA for a Part 135 carrier.

A Squared
27th Oct 2015, 04:59
Look up DOT Part 380. Scheduled operations with turbojet airplanes of up to 30 seats is just fine with DOT and FAA for a Part 135 carrier.

DOT 380 addresses charters. charters, by definition are not scheduled operations.

Scheduled operations are when you, as an operator, tell the public that you will be operating an airplane from XXX to YYY, Departing XXX at 11:45 every weekday morning and you will sell people tickets to ride on that airplane.

As has been correctly stated here, more than once, the maximum seats in scheduled transportation for a Part 135 certificate holder is 9.

Since you mention Part 380, I have to ask, did you read it yourself? in Part 380 you will find the following:

Charter flight means a flight operated under the terms of a charter contract between a direct air carrier and its customer. It does not include scheduled air transportation, scheduled foreign air transportation, or nonscheduled cargo air transportation, sold on an individually ticketed or individually waybilled basis.

desertwest
27th Oct 2015, 13:38
Semantics.

A public charter under 380 allows anyone who can pay for a ticket to book a flight between two (or more) city pairs with a pre-defined departure date/time of a frequency not limited by Part 135 rules.

As a passenger, tell me how booking a ticket on flyviaair.com differs from southwest.com.

Via is a direct air carrier under Part 135. Southwest is scheduled airline service under Part 121.

The only difference is the number of seats, maximum of 30 (or payload not more than 7500 lbs) for Part 135.

DOT 380 addresses charters. charters, by definition are not scheduled operations.

Scheduled operations are when you, as an operator, tell the public that you will be operating an airplane from XXX to YYY, Departing XXX at 11:45 every weekday morning and you will sell people tickets to ride on that airplane.

As has been correctly stated here, more than once, the maximum seats in scheduled transportation for a Part 135 certificate holder is 9.

Since you mention Part 380, I have to ask, did you read it yourself? in Part 380 you will find the following:

A Squared
27th Oct 2015, 15:19
Semantics.

A public charter allows anyone who can pay for a ticket to book a flight between two (or more) city pairs with a pre-defined departure date/time of a frequency not limited by Part 135 rules.

As a passenger, tell me how booking a ticket on flyviaair.com differs from southwest.com.

Via is a direct air carrier under Part 135. Southwest is scheduled airline service under Part 121.

Semantics.

No, "viaair" is *not* a direct air carrier, the are an indirect carrier That is how they are able to do what they do.

A direct air carrier may not provide scheduled air transportation in aircraft with more than 9 seats under part 135, which is what is under discussion here. That's why Great Lakes removed all but 9 seats from their 1900's.

I will agree that Viaair has managed to bend the definition of "Charter" to look a a great deal like "scheduled service", but they are not a direct air carrier as is Great Lakes. Viaair is an indirect carrier which charters flights from the direct air carrier "Charter Air Transport". They are both owned by the same holding company, but legally, they are separate entities. As far as how it differs from flying on a airline, on a "charter" you sign a contract agreeing to carriage on a specific flight or pair of flights. You are not able to book an open ended return, nor can you change your reservation with a phone call, like you can with the higher fare class tickets on an actual airline. It's also not permitted to have code share arrangements with other airlines with public charters through an indirect carrier like via air.

The Part 135 certificate holder, Charter Air Transport" is not providing scheduled air transportation. They are chartering their aircraft to ViaAir for a predefined set of flights.

desertwest
27th Oct 2015, 18:53
"Via Airlines" is a DBA of Charter Air Transport. "Via Air" is the part 380 organization selling the seats. When I said "Via", I did not differentiate between the two. My mistake.

Code shares are not mandatory for 121 ops, granted most take advantage of the marketing opportunity.

Not sure where you are getting the no-phone-call-for-ticket-change policy.

I stand corrected and agree the open-ended ticket restriction is a material difference between 380 and 121 ops. So, from a passenger perspective, it appears that is the the only major practical difference between Public Charters and Scheduled Airline Service.

A Squared
27th Oct 2015, 19:07
Not sure where you are getting the no-phone-call-for-ticket-change policy.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that literally you could not change your flight dates over the telephone. What I meant was if you have a higher fare class ticket with a direct carrier, you can purchase an open ended return, you can change the departure, or the return with minimal effort, and it remains the same ticket. When you purchase a ticket on a public charter, you sign a contract for a seat on specific chartered flights. Changing your travel schedule requires having that contract cancelled, and a new contract signed for a different specific flight (s). The indirect carrier may make this process fairly painless, but it's still a distinction between how an airline ticket works and how a ticket on a charter flight works.

Marinth
28th Oct 2015, 03:57
So back a little more on topic, has there been any update on this lately? Has Skywest brought in any Australians on work visas? Are they going to continue this? Are any other regionals thinking of doing the same?

bafanguy
28th Oct 2015, 10:22
Marinth,

Kinda wondering the same thing. The OP seems to have disappeared and he had direct contact with SKW HR.

You've probably seen the same regional hiring ads I have...all still say "US citizen or have the legal authority to work in the US"....or words to that effect.

So, I guess this means none of the regionals is taking advantage of that visa option for Aussies.

I've been told some of the regionals are having a tough time filling classes here.

narymcrob
3rd Nov 2015, 17:19
Who was the recruiter that said they taking on aus pilots. I have spoken with their HR and they quiet bluntly said they are not in a position to sponser the E3 visa.

oicur12.again
4th Nov 2015, 03:24
I have not spoken to the recruiters at Skywest again to get further info but the last info I had was that they had been interviewing Australians but at the moment it was on hold. Dont know why but I am guessing that some kinks were found in the process TSA/IACRA?? that need sorting out.

havick
4th Nov 2015, 06:39
I have not spoken to the recruiters at Skywest again to get further info but the last info I had was that they had been interviewing Australians but at the moment it was on hold. Dont know why but I am guessing that some kinks were found in the process TSA/IACRA?? that need sorting out.

Probably because they've worked out that whilst the E3 Visa only takes 2-3 weeks to process and be issued, the TSA/FAA conversion is a whole different story taking upwards of 6-8 months depending on how long it takes to sort out fingerprints, medicals, verification of foreign license etc. One piece of paperwork not quite right, add another 2-6 months on top.

bafanguy
4th Nov 2015, 09:51
havick,

"Probably because they've worked out that whilst the E3 Visa only takes 2-3 weeks to process and be issued, the TSA/FAA conversion is a whole different story taking upwards of 6-8 months..."

If that's the case, the entire E3 visa is useless to an American employer in this context. One would think Skywest would've investigated the nuts & bolts of the process before even considering/interviewing Aussies as oicur12.again describes.

Perhaps already having FAA tickets would streamline the process ? Must be a few Aussies who hold FAA tickets...

oicur12.again
4th Nov 2015, 13:13
It can be done a lot faster than 6-8 months if you know exactly what to do. Most people (myself included) dont really know what to do and most companies dont know what to do. There is no master document that helps you out.

wheredidwhogo
27th Nov 2015, 16:08
Has anyone got a link to how this is?

aus_aviatior
30th Nov 2015, 22:13
I put the feelers out to several US regionals, incl. Skywest, Envoy etc. Mostly out of curiousity.
Every single one came back to me and said that they were currently not in a position to sponsor pilots.
It's curious, as the shortage over there is real, every regional is hiring, and most of them are having a lot of trouble filling their ground schools...but there you have it.

As far as converting a CASA license to FAA, it doesn't take 6-8 months. It takes 6-8 weeks to get your license confirmation done by the FAA. After that you need to make an appointment at an FAA field office, this needs to be done about 2 weeks in advance. Then you do your FAA CTP (which includes FAA ATP written) followed by flight test, which again takes about 2 weeks. So around 10-12 weeks (3 months) all up.

bafanguy
30th Nov 2015, 22:58
Aus Aviator,

" I put the feelers out to several US regionals, incl. Skywest, Envoy etc. Mostly out of curiousity. Every single one came back to me and said that they were currently not in a position to sponsor pilots."

Well, that pretty much tells the story, does it not ? Short of pilots but not fatally short ?

Tinstaafl
2nd Dec 2015, 07:08
When the regionals state they're short of pilots, they mean 'short of pilots who are willing to work for low wages and/or poor conditions'.

bafanguy
2nd Dec 2015, 14:34
Tinstaafl,

Yes, that's part of the puzzle for sure. Some are addressing it albeit very slowly.

Kathryn's Report: Compass Airlines gives first-year pilots 40 percent raise: Agreement raises first year, First Officer pay to one of the highest in the regional airline industry (http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2015/12/compass-airlines-gives-first-year.html)

KRUSTY 34
2nd Dec 2015, 19:45
This is probably just the beginning.

When "Sully" addressed Congress in the aftermath of the Colgan crash, all went well until he described the woeful pay and conditions of American pilots, and in particular the Regional pilots. Many of the Congressmen with vested interests simply got up and walked out! Such was the level of denial.

The current situation was born in the dark days following 9/11, but has since been exploited by corporate shortsightedness and greed. The decision by the FAA to mandate minimum experience levels for Airline pilots has been as much about putting the value back into the profession as increasing expertise in the flight deck.

The announcement by Compass may prove to be the watershed for what has been overdue for years. Addicted to cheap labour, the American airline industry has resisted almost pathologically, the changes to aircrew minimum requirements, for no other reason than their reticence to compete for what is a finite resource.

Whether or not they can source enough experienced pilots remains to be seen. It's possible they may have killed the "golden goose". Maybe they will need to look seriously overseas. For those of you following this thread, opportunities may come. You will however have to be an experienced pilot. Something that may have been overlooked by some of the more enthusiastic first posters! I suspect that many of the pilots who meet the FAA mins will probably have other irons in the fire closer to home.

Good luck USA.

bafanguy
2nd Dec 2015, 20:56
KRUSTY,

I'm not a financial guy and can't defend or condemn the financial arrangement between majors and their regional partners. But, someone who is knowledgeable can address the "fee for departure" financial arrangement between the two levels of carriers.

I found this on another forum:

"It's the majors who refuse to pay more for their feed, the regionals aren't withholding pay out of greed, their slim margins make it almost impossible.

Until it actually starts affecting the mainlines it won't change anything, musical airplanes, shuffle pilots around, stick some duct tape on the gaping hole to slow the leak. Eventually they'll have to address it, whether it be pay the regionals more or bring it back in house, probably a bit of both. If it gets to the point where regionals are no longer cost effective to farm out to then they'll dry up anyway.

I just don't know where the money is gonna come from."

KRUSTY 34
2nd Dec 2015, 23:15
Your absolutely correct bafenguy.

The race by the major airlines to "buy up" their regional affiliates was a calculated move to exploit and benefit. The problem for the majors now is that a significant source of their revenue is generated by regional flying, even though much of this transcends state borders.

They'll either have to take ownership of the situation they created or ponder going back to chapter 11!

Reap/sow, common story for clever bean counters.

A Squared
3rd Dec 2015, 02:27
The current situation was born in the dark days following 9/11 ...

The lower tier regionals in the US have has stunningly low wages since well before 9/11. If you take a look at the airlines operating in the 1990s, you'll find that there were more than a few which not only paid poorly, but required new hires to pay the airline for their initial training. There was even at least one which after training *charged* pilots to operate their aircraft on revenue flights. Yes, you read that correctly, pilots paid the company to operate the planes on scheduled Part 121 revenue flights.

nonsense
3rd Dec 2015, 06:20
The definition of “specialty occupation” is one that requires:
- A theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge; and

- The attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States.

First page of the E3 VISA requirements, doubt many would qualify.

I doubt any person would qualify as a "specialty occupation", since "people" and "occupations" are quite different entities.

The question is not whether prospective visa applicants (people) hold a degree, but whether the jobs (occupations) that they hope to obtain require a degree. If the job doesn't require a suitable degree "as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States", then the applicant's education is irrelevant, since the occupation does not qualify as a "speciality occupation" for the purposes of the E3 visa requirements.

bafanguy
3rd Dec 2015, 09:51
nonsense,

Would you happen to know if there's any empirical evidence or legal precedent for how "(or its equivalent)" has been applied by the US in assessing visa applicants in this context ?

Could "(or its equivalent)" be used as a loophole to negate a formal college degree ?

KRUSTY 34
3rd Dec 2015, 11:19
A squared,

I was referring more to the "relationship" that now exists between the Regionals and the major airlines. A relationship that has certainly kept a lid on any evolutionary growth in wages and conditions for 2nd and 3rd tier pilots.

the lack of ability for the regionals to control their profit margins in the normal manner has led to other more "creative" schemes to increase revenue, or in many cases just to stay viable. Low paid cadet pilots being one of them.

The FAA has effectively shut the door on that form of exploitation.

As I said before, time for the architects of this fiasco to take ownership. Whether they choose to is another thing.

bafanguy
3rd Dec 2015, 14:46
I guess this is further effort at "addressing it" by the US regionals. You'll probably have to Google the title of the article to see it in it's entirety:

Regional Airlines Seek Reduced Minimum Pilot-Experience Mandate - WSJ (http://www.wsj.com/articles/regional-airlines-seek-reducedminimum-pilot-experience-mandate-1449005336)

I wondered when the airlines would take a run at this. Success might be elusive.

vee1-rotate
3rd Dec 2015, 22:34
To everyone questioning whether pilot is a specialty occupation, will it qualify for a visa etc, a mate of mine literally just was approved a few weeks back and is the US living now, having been sponsored for an E3 as a regional airline pilot.

Yes, it is classified as a specialty occupation for the E3 visa.

Yes it can be done.

bafanguy
3rd Dec 2015, 22:42
vee1,

Can you reveal which regional hired your friend ?

Where was he living when he applied and was hired ?

Was the visa obtained through the airline ?

vee1-rotate
5th Dec 2015, 04:41
Don't really want to give away too much to prevent an onslaught of said company, but he was living in Melbourne and had the visa obtained through the airline. Did his conversion to FAA a few months back, went back to Aus, got the E3 and just moved back again to start training.

It can quite easily be done for those who put in a bit of effort and research.

KRUSTY 34
5th Dec 2015, 06:42
An onslaught V1?

They should be so lucky! ;)

27/09
5th Dec 2015, 07:00
Regional Airlines Seek Reduced Minimum Pilot-Experience Mandate

Goal is to raise safety bar while fixing ‘a broken pipeline’ that is already producing too few acceptable applicants

Are the too few applicants full stop or just too few at the salary they want to pay?

bafanguy
5th Dec 2015, 19:26
vee1,

" Don't really want to give away too much to prevent an onslaught of said company..." ?

Said company would probably welcome an onslaught ! :-))

Skywest was the carrier mentioned in this original post but their website still mentions nothing about expats in the pilot quals list so I'll assume it isn't Skywest.

I'll keep an eye out for some regional admitting they're sponsoring some Aussies.

Can you reveal how much flight time the guy has...TJ ? TP ? His age ? I assume no FAA tickets held at the time he was hired by the regional ?

Any more like him that you know of going to the same airline ?

bafanguy
5th Dec 2015, 21:55
ADFUS,

"Looks like he's going to be flying an ERJ for Expressjet."

Well, if it's Expressjet they're still not admitting it. This from their careers website a few minutes ago:

"Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship"

ExpressJet Pilot Qualifications | ExpressJet Airlines (http://www.expressjet.com/careers/pilots/qualifications/)

underfire
7th Dec 2015, 03:02
worth a review...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKuSMVCliQ

bafanguy
7th Dec 2015, 10:48
This is interesting (see "preferred" quals in the ad):

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot-Job-Posting-Pilot-Opening-Pilot-Job/8792/Oceania/First%20Officers/Embraer%20ERJ135-145/JetGo%20Australia

Why would an Australian carrier prefer people with an FAA CPL or ATP and ERJ experience ? Are they operating some N-registered airplanes Down There ?

What am I missing ? ADFUS ?

Going Nowhere
7th Dec 2015, 10:59
I believe they have an N-registered Ejet based in the US for charter ops.

Possibly this mob
https://www.planespotters.net/airline/BizCharters

Wings007
8th Dec 2015, 05:37
Hi
You mentioned your friend was in a flying role on the E3. Did he have a Bachelor of Aviation? I have been in discussions with a flying school over there and they are keen to have me on board if I can source a suitable visa. I was thinking the E3, but belived I would not satisfy the need to have a degree related to flying. I have a Ba Business and Diploma of Aviation.
Thank you!

CanadianKiwi
23rd Jan 2016, 02:17
I am by no means an expert on immigration, but here's my take to this.

The requirement is "Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship". The keyword is "sponsorship". To apply for the E3 Visa, you do not require employer sponsorship, just a offer of employment from the company, so technically it would still count. Also, for Australians & NZ Citizens there is another visa called the J1 Visa. It basically allows you to work for 12 months in the US, similar to the Working Holiday Visa we have in most commonwealth countries. Most companies terms and conditions require "Authorization to work in the United States". After you get your J1 Visa and land a job at , you can simply hop across the border to Canada or Mexico and visit a US Consulate with your job offer in hand and apply for the E3 Visa, and bypassing the two year return to home country restriction on the J1 Visa.

Alex3008
23rd Jan 2016, 22:23
Based on your knowledge can someone obtain J1 Visa for Flight Training in USA? or which visa will be suitable with the hopes of working for a bit after training?

CanadianKiwi
24th Jan 2016, 16:06
The J1 visa is technically a cultural exchange visa, for au pairs and camp counsellors. However, there are agencies in Australia that will get you the Visa and let you find your own employment. If you are looking to get flight training in the US, simply get a M1 or a F1 Visa. An M1 only allows you to study and is issued for vocational schools, and an F1 is for recognized academic programs. Some flight schools and all flight universities offer a degree, qualifying for the F1 Visa. The benefit of the F1 Visa is that you can engage in up to 1 year of "Optional Practical Training", basically allowing you to work for anyone in a field related to your study in the US. There is no mandatory 2 year return back to Australia after the OPT, unlike the J1. Also, the F1 is accessible to everyone, while the J1 is limited to Aus. & NZ citizens.

havick
29th Jan 2016, 00:34
I've got work lined up in the USA flying a SAR helicopter, though I'll be a green card holder (wife is American).

A buddy of mine works for the same company on an E3 visa flying a firebombing Huey and b212 and he has no degree and basically comes over for the fire season. Took him about 2 weeks to get the E3 in Melbourne, he had his FAA ATP a few years prior to applying for work if the E3.

It's all doable on an E3 but most US companies don't understand the E3 visa and as result confuse it with sponsorship. If you have an Aussie friend over there to grease the wheels and explain it, makes getting a job offer easier.

Don't expect any offers unless you have all your FAA tickets in hand and someone to explain his the E3 actually works. And it takes a while to organize going through all the TSA stuff to convert over to an FAA ATP.

Alex3008
30th Jan 2016, 01:45
Many thanks to all for your info. Yes you are very correct Havick. I was speaking to one of the schools over there and they know nothing about the E3 Visa. Kinda mind draining trying to explain it to them.

All in all USA will be it for me for my flight training. I think i took a safe bet after withdrawing my offer from RIMT.

havick
30th Jan 2016, 03:17
Many thanks to all for your info. Yes you are very correct Havick. I was speaking to one of the schools over there and they know nothing about the E3 Visa. Kinda mind draining trying to explain it to them.

All in all USA will be it for me for my flight training. I think i took a safe bet after withdrawing my offer from RIMT.

Alex, the E3 won't work for you if you're only just learning to fly.

CanadianKiwi
31st Jan 2016, 02:29
The E3 is for employment early, as I said before if you are going to school apply for a M1 or a F1 Visa, both of which are extremely easy to get with a I-20 form from the school.

Alex3008
12th Feb 2016, 21:46
Yes i know E3 is for employment. The flight school i intend to join is authorized to enroll non immigrant students so they will help me out with M1 visa. I was talking to them about E3 visa and none of them knew what it was!

Thanks for the info.

KRUSTY 34
18th Feb 2016, 03:22
Seems like a truckload of effort for $23K per year!

...still single
23rd Feb 2016, 03:30
Seems like a truckload of effort for $23K per year!

But.... Jetzzz... and Upgradezzzz.

Pakehaboy
16th Jun 2016, 15:47
With the vitriol on PPrune regarding entry of foreign pilots from overseas getting visas to work in New Zealand and Aussie I wonder what the American pilots think of alien pilots flying in the USA.
I fly for a major,in the USA,there are always going to be a % that will let you know their feelings,not many,usually behind your back,most,if they have issues,will keep it to themselves.There are so many expats here with the right to work,it is really not an issue.The laws that govern workplace ethics are so strong,that only a fool would contemplate airing malice thoughts.

Water off a ducks back mate!!! As my mate chopper Read would say.....Harden the "F" up!!

bafanguy
17th Jun 2016, 20:50
"The laws that govern workplace ethics are so strong,that only a fool would contemplate airing malice thoughts."

Pakehaboy,

Are you referring to the US or elsewhere ?

"I wonder what the American pilots think of alien pilots flying in the USA."

c100driver,

I doubt you'll see much if any animosity. The expats who fly here are relatively few percentage-wise and do so legally via green card, dual citizenship, visa, etc. The process is a bit involved under the best circumstances. If you can jump the hurdles, welcome aboard.

We have a HUGE freakin' aviation industry here...room for lots of people.

Ramjet555
1st Jan 2017, 04:41
Are there any Australians on this forum who are presently working in the USA who obtained an E-3 Visa?

Please reply by PM

havick
2nd Jan 2017, 02:01
Piedmont has just tweaked their online application process so Aussies can apply without a social security number. A buddy of mine just submitted his app and is now sorting out his interview date.

havick
2nd Jan 2017, 02:04

Personally I don't think it's a smart move unless you meet hiring requirements and have time in the industry to get an E3.

I don't think you quite fully grasp who would be able to work here on an E3.

bafanguy
2nd Jan 2017, 08:46
" A buddy of mine just submitted his app and is now sorting out his interview date. "

havick,

Your friend is an Australian citizen living in Australia currently and has no ties to the USA ? And has his FAA tickets already ? Just trying to see how this whole visa thing is playing out. :-)

pilotchute
2nd Jan 2017, 09:00
Well I just went on the Piedmont recruitment page and you absolutely can't apply without a social security number.

Havick, did you check before you posted?

havick
2nd Jan 2017, 12:02
Well I just went on the Piedmont recruitment page and you absolutely can't apply without a social security number.

Havick, did you check before you posted?

Yep my buddy literally did the airlinepilotapps submission online last night.

You need to email Heather Bowers (recruiter) and she gives you a pseudo SSN to use in the meantime.

They're apparently changing the whole online submission to use a PIN number instead of SSN but in the meantime they're giving you a pseudo SSN that doesn't exist until the system changes over.

Good luck

havick
2nd Jan 2017, 12:06
" A buddy of mine just submitted his app and is now sorting out his interview date. "

havick,

Your friend is an Australian citizen living in Australia currently and has no ties to the USA ? And has his FAA tickets already ? Just trying to see how this whole visa thing is playing out. :-)

My friend is an Australian citizen currently in Australia. No green card or any other US visa. No fixed wing FAA quals at all, though he does have an FAA helicopter ATP. He goes have an Aussie fixed wing CPL/IPC and meets all the hours for a FAA ATP.

oicur12.again
2nd Jan 2017, 23:57
Flew the parallel ILS into SFO last night next to a Skywest RJ with an Australian voice over the airwaves. Even threw her an ozzie ozzie ozzie on ground freq as we taxied in behind.

Nose wheel first
3rd Jan 2017, 12:42
I have just lost one of my employees to an aforementioned regional carrier in the US... He starts in just over a month. No FAA License and no visa as yet. Everything will be taken care of. From the time he applied to the time he was given a start date was only around 2 months.

bafanguy
3rd Jan 2017, 13:01
"I have just lost one of my employees to an aforementioned regional carrier in the US..."

Nfw,

Did your employee have a 4-year college degree ? There's been debate in some quarters about that requirement to qualify for the E-3 visa.

havick
3rd Jan 2017, 13:35
"I have just lost one of my employees to an aforementioned regional carrier in the US..."

Nfw,

Did your employee have a 4-year college degree ? There's been debate in some quarters about that requirement to qualify for the E-3 visa.

It's not necessary for an E3 if you have enough years in industry to substitute for a college degree.

I know some other pilots that have got an E3 without a college degree and without 12 years flying but that was to fly firebombing helicopters and not flying for a regional. I guess it depends on the consulate interviewer on the day.

lee_apromise
3rd Jan 2017, 14:13
Does anyone know any Part 135 operator in U.S hiring Australian citizens on E-3 visa? I have a 4-year bachelor degree.

havick
3rd Jan 2017, 15:14
Does anyone know any Part 135 operator in U.S hiring Australian citizens on E-3 visa? I have a 4-year bachelor degree.

Only niche flying like firefighting are hiring guys on E3's from what I've seen. There's a shortage of guys that meet that USFS contract minimums on that front.

Otherwise there isn't a shortage of guys for stock standar 135 charter flying.

bafanguy
3rd Jan 2017, 16:38
Just using PDT for rhetorical discussion, I wonder if an E-3 holder would be able to flow to AA mainline. The whole flow thing is much discussed and only time will tell.

I can see if an Australian were to weave the Magic Aussie Spell on some of the local talent and marry into a green card, it wouldn't be an issue. Not sure how the E-3 would affect the theoretical flow situation.

And the AA careers website doesn't address the 4-year degree issue at all (unless I've overlooked something).

havick
3rd Jan 2017, 21:45
Just using PDT for rhetorical discussion, I wonder if an E-3 holder would be able to flow to AA mainline. The whole flow thing is much discussed and only time will tell.

I can see if an Australian were to weave the Magic Aussie Spell on some of the local talent and marry into a green card, it wouldn't be an issue. Not sure how the E-3 would affect the theoretical flow situation.

And the AA careers website doesn't address the 4-year degree issue at all (unless I've overlooked something).

My friend that's interviewing with PDT doesn't care for the flow, he just wants to get the 20tonne + jet time minimums for carriers outside of the US.

I've heard of a couple of other aussies recently going to Skywest on an E3.

lvnthedream...
12th Jan 2017, 23:08
Is your mate self funding the FAA ATP? Or is that being covered by PDT? It appears to be a slightly more costly process to convert these days compared to a few years ago...

havick
12th Jan 2017, 23:44
Is your mate self funding the FAA ATP? Or is that being covered by PDT? It appears to be a slightly more costly process to convert these days compared to a few years ago...

PDT should cover it. It's part of the type ride anyway so there's no extra cost compared to any other new hire that doesn't already have an ATP in hand. Anyone else would also have to do the CTP course, written and then ATP test as part of your final ride on initial equipment course which PDT or any other regional is covering these days.

Take my situation I went to envoy with my FAA helicopter atp but no FAA fixed wing license at all. They put me through the CTP course at CAE, I paid for my written, then Envoy takes care of my fixed wing ATP on my check ride. I just had to get my Aussie fixed wing license and IR verified by FAA/CASA as that can be used as the basis qualification so long as it's from an ICAO state (just read the FAR part 61). The verification letter is valid for 6 months so you need to time it right to have it in your hand for you interview and then enough time left on it for start date and initial training otherwise you will need a new verification letter to take your flight test if the letter has expired.

There is literally no extra expense to the company in the process except for the fact a foreign pilot needs to get their license verification and TSA clearances for the jet sims which is a lead time thing not really a big cost at all.

Hope this helps.

**note: for what it's worth I know PDT and Skywest are definitely taking Aussies on E3's. Envoy are not at the moment and I have no idea if they will in the future or not, you would have to check with the recruiting department. I'm not sure about the rest.

bafanguy
14th Jan 2017, 20:40
Havick,

lvnthedream asked: "Is your mate self funding the FAA ATP? Or is that being covered by PDT?"

I'm not aware of any operators here asking new hires to pay for their own training. Are you ?

There may have been a couple of those in years past but IIRC they were few in number and short lived.

And...you mentioned paying for your "written". Is that an FAA fee for taking the ATP written exam for which Envoy paid to prepare you ? Probably not all that much money ?

I thought the regionals doing the ATP-CTP course in-house also had examining authority to conduct the written themselves.

havick
14th Jan 2017, 23:41
Havick,

lvnthedream asked: "Is your mate self funding the FAA ATP? Or is that being covered by PDT?"

I'm not aware of any operators here asking new hires to pay for their own training. Are you ?

There may have been a couple of those in years past but IIRC they were few in number and short lived.

And...you mentioned paying for your "written". Is that an FAA fee for taking the ATP written exam for which Envoy paid to prepare you ? Probably not all that much money ?

I thought the regionals doing the ATP-CTP course in-house also had examining authority to conduct the written themselves.

I'm not paying for anything except the FAA written just like every other new hire. $130 or whatever it was.

Where they send us to do the CTP course didn't have the approval to conduct the written at the time, think they do now but can't be sure so that's why we had to organize it on our own back then. I think as soon as CAE had their testing room set up it was all included.

Think you may have misinterpreted the way I wrote it.

I can't think of any regional that isn't paying for everything except for the FAA written fee.

VH DSJ
15th Jan 2017, 01:27
I've received a number of PM's asking about the E3 visa requirements so I would like clarify that;

1. No uni degree is required when applying for the E3 visa as a pilot.

2. You don't need to have 12 years of industry experience to be granted the E3 visa as a pilot.

I know of at least 6 people who didn't have the above and were still issued with the E3 visa.

The US consulate didn't even ask to see my degree when I applied for the visa, nor did he ask how many years experience I had in the industry.

3. You don't need a FAA license before going to the USA as the training that is provided by your airline for the type rating covers the requirements for the issue of an FAA ATP after successfully completing the checkride. All you need to do before hand is get your CASA license verified by the FAA. The FAA will then issue you with a confirmation letter and a deadline by which you need to complete your type rating checkride which doubles as your ATP checkride.

It really is a quick and simple process.

I have just been through this whole process and have been issued with my temporary FAA ATP certificate whilst I wait for the plastic card version to arrive in the mail.

havick
15th Jan 2017, 01:52
I've received a number of PM's asking about the E3 visa requirements so I would like clarify that;

1. No uni degree is required when applying for the E3 visa as a pilot.

2. You don't need to have 12 years of industry experience to be granted the E3 visa as a pilot.

I know of at least 6 people who didn't have the above and were still issued with the E3 visa.

The US consulate didn't even ask to see my degree when I applied for the visa, nor did he ask how many years experience I had in the industry.

3. You don't need a FAA license before going to the USA as the training that is provided by your airline for the type rating covers the requirements for the issue of an FAA ATP after successfully completing the checkride. All you need to do before hand is get your CASA license verified by the FAA. The FAA will then issue you with a confirmation letter and a deadline by which you need to complete your type rating checkride which doubles as your ATP checkride.

It really is a quick and simple process.

I have just been through this whole process and have been issued with my temporary FAA ATP certificate whilst I wait for the plastic card version to arrive in the mail.

To add to this the only other thing you need to factor in is getting the TSA approvals done for the CTP course and also initial type training. They can take upto a month with the TSA being so backlogged.

bafanguy
15th Jan 2017, 10:14
havick,

When I wrote : "I'm not aware of any operators here asking new hires to pay for their own training. Are you ?", I was asking if you might be aware of any regional requiring new hires to pay and not asking if YOU were PFT. :-))) I knew you weren't. Not terribly clear on my part...sorry for the confusion.

There are so many regionals that it's hard to keep 'em all straight.

I didn't know Envoy sent people to CAE for the ATP-CTP. Thanks for the info...and you too, VH DSJ.

mic310
29th Jan 2017, 12:42
Hi guys and girls. Does anyone know if any Part 135 or Part 91 companies use the E3 visa at the moment? Have been watching this thread with much interest
:ok:

havick
29th Jan 2017, 17:42
Hi guys and girls. Does anyone know if any Part 135 or Part 91 companies use the E3 visa at the moment? Have been watching this thread with much interest
:ok:

Asking in 3-4 different threads will get you the same answer.

There's no shortage of US takers for part135/91 gigs as they're using them as a means to get their mins for regionals.

Unless you have a bunch of 802 air tractor firebombing time or some other specialist niche flying that a client contract requires then forget about it.

Just build up your mins in Australia and then apply to one of the three regionals in the US that take E3's

By the way, any 802 air tractor guys that have the mins to be carded as a level 1 USFS contractor pilot are making anywhere from 150-250k usd in a busy 6-7 month US fire season. $500/day standing rates and$500/flying hour

VH DSJ
29th Jan 2017, 18:25
There's a big shortage of GA multi-engine instrument instructors in the US as many have left for regionals or part 135/91 operations. One MEI student I know had to wait 3 months before they could find an instructor to finish his training. Even a 'career instructor' I know with over 12,000 hours of dual given has joined a regional just for the free jet type rating. Not many airlines around the world offer that these days, and by free, I mean absolutely free without bond or even minimum years of service.

chimbu warrior
5th Feb 2017, 10:08
With Donald Trump "putting America first" I doubt any scheme offering jobs to foreigners will last very long. It would be a risky move indeed to move half way across the globe and then find the gate bolted shut.

boofhead
11th Feb 2017, 01:31
It has nothing to do with Trump. The FAA brought in the rule requiring 1500 hours and an ATP for a SIC Part 121. That meant that a High School graduate who wanted to fly in the airlines would have to find a job in something else at low pay for 8 years or so before even having an opportunity to apply for a job as a SIC in a Regional airline for 20K or slightly more a year. If a degree was included the time would be 4 years more and more debt.

So the inevitable happened and hardly any youngsters are interested in the career.

The airlines, with so few young'uns available, have resorted to going after anybody with more than 1500 hours so long as they can breath unassisted and giving them jobs.

There are precious few of them either, resulting in a severe shortage of pilots in the US and no sign this will ever sort itself out.

I run a Part 135 operation and cannot find pilots, any age, sex, experience.

Not good for me, and not good for you either, if I (and many others) go out of business there go the jobs.

mic310
11th Feb 2017, 03:23
My thoughts exactly chimbu

havick
11th Feb 2017, 04:34
My thoughts exactly chimbu

Funny you say that, weren't you hounding everyone in every USA thread possible trying to find a way to fly here?

mic310
11th Feb 2017, 06:02
As I said in a previous post in the US forum Havick

Thanks for the advice Havick. I am getting a little night in OZ but very slow and 200 odd short on TT. I guess the latest visa/immigration talk from the states has a lot of us not knowing whether the E3 will be around or not in the near future.

Hence my response to chimbu's comment.
Good to see your right onto it:ok:

mic310
19th Feb 2017, 10:26
US-based Australians fear crackdown on working visas by Donald Trump (http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/usbased-australians-fear-crackdown-on-working-visas-by-donald-trump-20170205-gu65t1.html)

bafanguy
19th Feb 2017, 11:09
"One US recruiter has told clients a draft executive order being considered by Mr Trump would direct a wholesale review of a range of popular visas to assess whether foreign workers are disadvantaging American citizens..."

While it's impossible to predict what the kakistocracy will do, it's a tough sell to claim that Aussie pilots are "...disadvantaging American citizens..." by coming here to fly for a regional carrier. It's administratively easier for an airline to hire its own citizens than a foreign national and these airlines always look for the easy way out.

So, if there were enough US nationals seeking (or able...or willing...to seek) the spots, they'd have no reason to turn to expats. Aussies don't get paid less than US citizens in the airline example; the pay is equally inadequate.

22nd Mar 2017, 06:08
Anyone reading this. Don't believe the nonsense that some of the people spread on this thread unless it comes from someone who has first hand experience.
SkyWest is definitely hiring Australians for positions. CRJ and ERJ. anyone who meets (or will meet) requirements by the time you complete sim.
Also know that the FAA requirements require only 75 hours night depending on other conditions are met.
Its an E3 visa
Degree not required
FAA license not required
SkyWest pays for accommodation while completing license verification and CTP(MCC) course. They also pay for you to complete said course.
Employing 60 pilots a fortnight

bafanguy
28th Mar 2017, 09:56
Also I've been in contact with ExpressJet and they're willing to sponsor an E3 visa.

Yes, there are better regionals than XJT (CRJ side of the house...I don't know about the other) in terms of upgrade, long term future, affiliation with majors, etc. But if you're just trying to get in here, get an FAA ATP and some jet time, don't take XJT off your target list. I don't hear any complaints about their training.

Rabbitwear
28th Mar 2017, 10:16
What a deal ! Will be able to buy 5 houses in the USA for the price of 1 in Sydney , where do I sign ?

28th Mar 2017, 12:39
What a deal ! Will be able to buy 5 houses in the USA for the price of 1 in Sydney

looking at the skywest website you might need a second job
$36.50 x 76 hours a month = $2774 gross x 12 months = $33 288

33 288 - 932.50 - 3595 = $28760 per annum NET after federal taxes (15%)

about $550 a week.

Use me up ....

VH DSJ
28th Mar 2017, 13:22
What a deal ! Will be able to buy 5 houses in the USA for the price of 1 in Sydney , where do I sign ?

Everyone I know see this as just a stepping stone. Even the airline knows it and makes no big deal if you leave soon after joining. Where else in the world would you get a jet type rating for free with no bond and no minimum term of service?

From interview to being checked to line on the ERJ175 took me just under 6 months. No waiting on a hold file either ... get the jet experience quickly to open more doors and move on. The airline's check and training is well regarded in the industry too and many from SkyWest have gone on to the majors at a rate of 40 to 50 a month.

novicef
29th Mar 2017, 07:46
Are there any airlines taking Aussies with over 3000 hours command on jets over 40,000Kg and over 500 hours command on A320?

...still single
29th Mar 2017, 17:25
Are there any airlines taking Aussies with over 3000 hours command on jets over 40,000Kg and over 500 hours command on A320?

No Airbus operators will sponser a visa.
If you can organise your own visa, then sure!
Starting pay at Frontier is $39/hr with a 75 hour/month guarantee. Have at it!

Far Canel
30th Mar 2017, 00:28
Are there many part 121 or 135 operators doing the E3 visa for Aussies? Or just a few?
Thanks

bafanguy
30th Mar 2017, 08:47
Are there many part 121 or 135 operators doing the E3 visa for Aussies? Or just a few?

Far Canel,

It's hard to tell for sure as any carriers (apparently regionals) availing themselves of the E-3 supply don't advertise it as they would other employment parameters. You'd think they would if they're as hard up as alleged.

My observation is anecdotal. I've even popped in on your AFAP website looking for some sign of activity on this Down There but have seen nothing.

But if one were interested, shotgunning apps to all of them couldn't hurt.

havick
10th Aug 2017, 14:16
First time posting here. I would like to put a lot of things to rest. I was the fortunate one to have been the first E3 visa pilot hired by any airline in the US. That just so happened to be SkyWest Airlines. I have been with the company for more than 19 months now and have nothing but positive things to say about my quality of life here. I am sure that some users here will snicker and possibly have some negative comments regarding salaries, quality of life, and just flying in the US in general. Skywest currently has more than 30 Australian pilots on staff, and they have the E3 process down pat! Other regionals wouldn't have a bar of me going back to when I was applying, but Skywest actually took the time and listened.

For those of you those want more details, please PM me. I would be more than happy to link you a special application link, guide you, answer questions, and point you in the right direction.

A few main points about Skywest.
- They are an amazing employer, but far the best regional. If you speak with any American aviator, you will find they share the same opinion.
- Your spouse & children are more than welcome! Your Spouse is also allowed to work in the US.
- The flight benefits are amazing! I have the ability to fly for free on United, Delta and American! This does vary depending on the aircraft you operate and domicile.
- The pay is more than enough! My first year, I made over 48K USD. Of which I was in training from January till April. That being said, if I flew a full year without training? 60K USD (75K AUD) as a second year FO! Keep in mind this includes my bonuses and I do work hard!
- Cost of living in the US is MUCH CHEAPER than that of back home! The dollar goes much further here!
- Current upgrade time to captain are 2 years or less if you are willing to take Detroit as a base.
- American locals are awesome people! Great to fly with! I have learnt so much being here!
- All your training is paid for by Skywest, they also provide accommodation and pay you while you train!

Any questions, I can point you in the right direction for sure!

Hope this helps!

Fishing for referral bonuses.

Anyone looking at doing the E3 thing in the US should goto Piedmont, simply for the fact it's an AA wholly owned airline and all the benefits that come with that as opposed to a contract airline. This is especially important with regards to travel benefits when trying to fly home to Aus or fly your folks across etc.

I work for Envoy so I have no bias recommending Piedmont to anyone. They've also got their E3 process down pat.

going_up
10th Aug 2017, 19:26

Anyone looking at doing the E3 thing in the US should goto Piedmont, simply for the fact it's an AA wholly owned airline and all the benefits that come with that as opposed to a contract airline. This is especially important with regards to travel benefits when trying to fly home to Aus or fly your folks across etc.

I work for Envoy so I have no bias recommending Piedmont to anyone. They've also got their E3 process down pat.

And just how many E3 visa pilots are online with Piedmont? None!

Referral bonus? I do get a bonus if I refer individuals. That being said, I am the guy that started this whole E3 visa pilot hiring. How do I know? I filled out apps two years ago for everyone. They all called within about three days. Once I told them I was on an E3, most didn't want to continue the conversation. Others attempted to research the E3 and kept claiming they needed to sponsor me. Skywest researched it and actually called me for clarification. Now, here we are! Now other regionals have caught on to it. Skywest is working on a specific area on our website for Aussie pilot recruitment.

Short of giving you the guys name from QLD that had his offer rescinded from Piedmont last month, I don't know what else I could do to prove. Envoy was a great choice as I love Texas! But I already got the job with Skywest, it was a no brainer. Buddy of mine (Texan) started with Envoy and is loving the place so far! I was surprised to see Piedmont rescind the other Australian's offer as they are really hurting for pilots.

I'm not in it for the money, I still consider myself lucky to have got this E3 pilot thing rolling. That being said, just PM for info, questions on anything. I do not care if you do not want me to refer you. I'm here because my passion lies with aviation and helping others enjoy this awesome avenue in life that I was so fortunate to have found.

Take it as you will. I hope to hear from those interested.

Fly safe and stay happy!

stillcallozhome
10th Aug 2017, 21:09

Mmmm... depends on which "contract" airline. Also, the best wholly owned depends on what month it is. When it comes to best benefits (I assume you're talking about travel) all the AAs have the same as mainline - first to check in, first on the list with that priority. Everyone will sit there with their hand on the mouse at 24hr and 1 min waiting. Pisses mainline peeps right off.

Good luck to all that go to the USA and fly though. Good fun and plenty to learn. A very different world outside of oz.

havick
10th Aug 2017, 22:15
Mmmm... depends on which "contract" airline. Also, the best wholly owned depends on what month it is. When it comes to best benefits (I assume you're talking about travel) all the AAs have the same as mainline - first to check in, first on the list with that priority. Everyone will sit there with their hand on the mouse at 24hr and 1 min waiting. Pisses mainline peeps right off.

Good luck to all that go to the USA and fly though. Good fun and plenty to learn. A very different world outside of oz.

That's my point AA wholly owned airlines have the same travel benefits as mainline as opposed to contract airlines i.e. Skywest, republic etc. which are at the back of the priority list.

For an E3 Visa person working in the USA for a few years this can make a huge difference being able to visit family etc

hobo335
10th Aug 2017, 23:51
Just my two cents from someone also working in the US, from what I have heard, there are a lot more rejections for Visas at consulates than was happening 6-12 months ago.

Im sure a lot of it comes down to who you get on the day, but it does sound like the visa rejection rates may be getting a little higher than previously advertised. That said I have no doubt people are still getting approvals, I just wouldn't be going in assuming you will absolutely get the Visa approved and start packing my bags. Perhaps the screws are tightening a little on experience levels they expect? or maybe just more people having bad luck with who is assessing their applications, I honestly wouldn't know. Purely speculation.

One of the lads I used to fly with who has a squeaky clean record and a good 4-5 years of experience and plenty of time etc... than needed got knocked back without reason at the consulate and that was after resigning from his current job! I know directly of two others as well under similar circumstances in the recent past. Common link was no degree and a few years short of what they supposedly "require" in lieu of a degree.

Be smart and good luck!

umop apisdn
11th Aug 2017, 07:10
Just my two cents from someone also working in the US, from what I have heard, there are a lot more rejections for Visas at consulates than was happening 6-12 months ago.

Im sure a lot of it comes down to who you get on the day, but it does sound like the visa rejection rates may be getting a little higher than previously advertised. That said I have no doubt people are still getting approvals, I just wouldn't be going in assuming you will absolutely get the Visa approved and start packing my bags. Perhaps the screws are tightening a little on experience levels they expect? or maybe just more people having bad luck with who is assessing their applications, I honestly wouldn't know. Purely speculation.

One of the lads I used to fly with who has a squeaky clean record and a good 4-5 years of experience and plenty of time etc... than needed got knocked back without reason at the consulate and that was after resigning from his current job! I know directly of two others as well under similar circumstances in the recent past. Common link was no degree and a few years short of what they supposedly "require" in lieu of a degree.

Be smart and good luck!

I'm about to start applying and have an aviation degree, so hopefully I can get it done. Did you hear any other reasons for rejection?

VH-RME
12th Aug 2017, 01:29
Had a chat to a recruiter at SkyWest about this, and was told that a degree or 3 years aviation experience for every year of missing study was required.

VHCookie monster
12th Aug 2017, 14:41
And just how many E3 visa pilots are online with Piedmont? None!

Referral bonus? I do get a bonus if I refer individuals. That being said, I am the guy that started this whole E3 visa pilot hiring. How do I know? I filled out apps two years ago for everyone. They all called within about three days. Once I told them I was on an E3, most didn't want to continue the conversation. Others attempted to research the E3 and kept claiming they needed to sponsor me. Skywest researched it and actually called me for clarification. Now, here we are! Now other regionals have caught on to it. Skywest is working on a specific area on our website for Aussie pilot recruitment.

Short of giving you the guys name from QLD that had his offer rescinded from Piedmont last month, I don't know what else I could do to prove. Envoy was a great choice as I love Texas! But I already got the job with Skywest, it was a no brainer. Buddy of mine (Texan) started with Envoy and is loving the place so far! I was surprised to see Piedmont rescind the other Australian's offer as they are really hurting for pilots.

I'm not in it for the money, I still consider myself lucky to have got this E3 pilot thing rolling. That being said, just PM for info, questions on anything. I do not care if you do not want me to refer you. I'm here because my passion lies with aviation and helping others enjoy this awesome avenue in life that I was so fortunate to have found.

Take it as you will. I hope to hear from those interested.

Fly safe and stay happy!

G'day Going_up,

I have been doing some research on this and meet most of the mins they are all asking for. I'd love to hear your take on Skywest as a few mates have recently been hired there, but the longer term implications are what I am after...

Cheers.

havick
12th Aug 2017, 15:27
G'day Going_up,

I have been doing some research on this and meet most of the mins they are all asking for. I'd love to hear your take on Skywest as a few mates have recently been hired there, but the longer term implications are what I am after...

Cheers.

Piedmont is the best option for E3's with the mainline AA travel benefits as well as the higher pay and quicker upgrades. I think they have a slight training bubble with their current expansion but is being ironed out with the addition of new sims.

Be wary of guys offering to refer you as they are usually getting a referral bonus. I work for envoy, we don't take E3 applicants hence why I can recommend Piedmont as the best E3 visa option un-biased.

I'm not saying that Skywest is a bad company but overall once you get through training at Piedmont you will end up earning more, upgrading quicker and have much better travel benefits that come attached to working for an AA wholly owned regional.

Basically to answer your question regarding long term implications of an E3 visa, unless you marry an American you will always be in immigration limbo having to renew your E3 visa every two years. No legacy/majors will hire you in the US without a green card or citizenship. An E3 visa is NOT a pathway to a green card unless you happen to meet someone you end up marrying while over here on your E3.

The E3 is actually a great deal for the regionals because they know you can't move on to a major. That being said you will be in a position very quickly to be picked up by Middle East carriers or Chinese contracts after doing 2-3 years at a regional in the US

VHCookie monster
12th Aug 2017, 15:32
Piedmont is the best option for E3's with the mainline AA travel benefits as well as the higher pay and quicker upgrades. I think they have a slight training bubble with their current expansion but is being ironed out with the addition of new sims.

Be wary of guys offering to refer you as they are usually getting a referral bonus. I work for envoy, we don't take E3 applicants hence why I can recommend Piedmont as the best E3 visa option un-biased.

I'm not saying that Skywest is a bad company but overall once you get through training at Piedmont you will end up earning more, upgrading quicker and have much better travel benefits that come attached to working for an AA wholly owned regional.

Basically to answer your question regarding long term implications of an E3 visa, unless you marry an American you will always be in immigration limbo having to renew your E3 visa every two years. No legacy/majors will hire you in the US without a green card or citizenship. An E3 visa is NOT a pathway to a green card unless you happen to meet someone you end up marrying while over here on your E3.

The E3 is actually a great deal for the regionals because they know you can't move on to a major. That being said you will be in a position very quickly to be picked up by Middle East carriers or Chinese contracts after doing 2-3 years at a regional in the US

Very interesting. Any chance you can PM me your email and we can chat further. If you don't mind... :ok:

havick
12th Aug 2017, 15:41
Very interesting. Any chance you can PM me your email and we can chat further. If you don't mind... :ok:

Check your PM's

going_up
13th Aug 2017, 20:44
Check your PM's

I am so sorry. I wrote to PPrune regarding me not being able to receive PMs.

I have created an email [email protected]

I am able to answer any questions regarding coming across to Skywest on the E3 visa.

I can assure you that a 3 year degree, or a degree of any nature is not the be all and end all. You are required to have a 4 year degree or its equivalent (12 years work experience in the specified field of work). How does this work? For every year of tertiary study, it equates to 3 years work experience.

For example, you took 2 years of full time study to become a commercial pilot with all the bells and whistles. You would need another 6 years work experience equivalent. To the US consulates credit, they do honestly look at things on a case by case basis. We only had one guy knocked back, the simple reason as they he did not wait to receive his paperwork for Skywest and did not have the required documentation to have the visa approved.

I am sorry for the late reply. As I said, I ned to with this and just decided to look up and see what the "web" is saying about our recent recruitment of more than 30 plus Australians.

havick
14th Aug 2017, 13:51
I am so sorry. I wrote to PPrune regarding me not being able to receive PMs.

I have created an email [email protected]

I am able to answer any questions regarding coming across to Skywest on the E3 visa.

I can assure you that a 3 year degree, or a degree of any nature is not the be all and end all. You are required to have a 4 year degree or its equivalent (12 years work experience in the specified field of work). How does this work? For every year of tertiary study, it equates to 3 years work experience.

For example, you took 2 years of full time study to become a commercial pilot with all the bells and whistles. You would need another 6 years work experience equivalent. To the US consulates credit, they do honestly look at things on a case by case basis. We only had one guy knocked back, the simple reason as they he did not wait to receive his paperwork for Skywest and did not have the required documentation to have the visa approved.

I am sorry for the late reply. As I said, I ned to with this and just decided to look up and see what the "web" is saying about our recent recruitment of more than 30 plus Australians.

Anyone that is interested in the E3 in the USA should first ask anyone here on pprune recommending a company whether they're receiving a referall bonus (usually 5k) for getting an applicant on board. Then make your own deduction after that.

As it stands right now the best company in the US for an E3 visa applicant is Piedmont. I fly for Envoy (on a green card), therefor I can make the recommendation of Piedmont totally un-biased as I don't work for them and as such don't receive a 5k bonus cheque for getting bums on seats.

going_up
15th Aug 2017, 00:18
Anyone that is interested in the E3 in the USA should first ask anyone here on pprune recommending a company whether they're receiving a referall bonus (usually 5k) for getting an applicant on board. Then make your own deduction after that.

As it stands right now the best company in the US for an E3 visa applicant is Piedmont. I fly for Envoy (on a green card), therefor I can make the recommendation of Piedmont totally un-biased as I don't work for them and as such don't receive a 5k bonus cheque for getting bums on seats.

For me to get a referral bonus, I wold have to send you an email link, you would then need to apply via said link. Its not actually 5k at all if one were to refer a pilot at Skywest, its much less than that. My recommendation is to apply directly via the Skywest website, and feel free to ask me questions regarding life at Skywest, whats the real deal, etc. Speaking of bonuses Havick, I know for fact that yourself can receive a referral bonus IF you have contact with the people in Piedmont's HR. That being said, in the interest of all fairness, I do not know if you have such contacts, but I know it is possible. I know this because I was called from two different regional asking me about my experience with the E3 and how it was accomplished over a year ago. Of which I confirmed I was on the E3 visa, and nothing more as these airlines snubbed me big time when I approach them back in mid 2015.

For all potential future E3 pilots in the US, Skywest has the most E3 visa pilots in the US, the first ever E3 visa pilot, and a wonderful training program. I won't BS. I found out that Piedmont has got their act in order and can process E3 LCA's. Which is great to see. Why are certain airlines offering massive sign on bonuses? Yet Skywest is not? Sort answer, the company's reputation fills classes! Any Australian pilot with common-sense could put two and two together ask the same thing! Why would a company offer massive bonuses if they are already a great place to work and have pilots knocking on their door? Skywest is filling classes and we are not hurting. It is truly a wonderful place to work, and I am proud to be the first E3 airline pilot in the US with a big thanks to Skywest.

I am curious Havick, this is a honest question btw, but why are Piedmont having real trouble filling their classes? Buddy of mine joined Envoy not long ago, Envoy's classes seem to be going fairly well.

I'm trying to remain objective here, but if you want to know the ins and outs of SkyWest and the E3, email me. We already have 30 plus E3 holders online and working.

bafanguy
15th Aug 2017, 08:42
...but why are Piedmont having real trouble filling their classes? ...Envoy's classes seem to be going fairly well.

Is PDT actually having trouble filling classes ? I understand the -8s are on the way out but are they still operating some of them ? They are shown on their company website.

And Envoy's classes are going more than well according my inside source.

havick
15th Aug 2017, 19:50
For me to get a referral bonus, I wold have to send you an email link, you would then need to apply via said link. Its not actually 5k at all if one were to refer a pilot at Skywest, its much less than that. My recommendation is to apply directly via the Skywest website, and feel free to ask me questions regarding life at Skywest, whats the real deal, etc. Speaking of bonuses Havick, I know for fact that yourself can receive a referral bonus IF you have contact with the people in Piedmont's HR. That being said, in the interest of all fairness, I do not know if you have such contacts, but I know it is possible. I know this because I was called from two different regional asking me about my experience with the E3 and how it was accomplished over a year ago. Of which I confirmed I was on the E3 visa, and nothing more as these airlines snubbed me big time when I approach them back in mid 2015.

For all potential future E3 pilots in the US, Skywest has the most E3 visa pilots in the US, the first ever E3 visa pilot, and a wonderful training program. I won't BS. I found out that Piedmont has got their act in order and can process E3 LCA's. Which is great to see. Why are certain airlines offering massive sign on bonuses? Yet Skywest is not? Sort answer, the company's reputation fills classes! Any Australian pilot with common-sense could put two and two together ask the same thing! Why would a company offer massive bonuses if they are already a great place to work and have pilots knocking on their door? Skywest is filling classes and we are not hurting. It is truly a wonderful place to work, and I am proud to be the first E3 airline pilot in the US with a big thanks to Skywest.

I am curious Havick, this is a honest question btw, but why are Piedmont having real trouble filling their classes? Buddy of mine joined Envoy not long ago, Envoy's classes seem to be going fairly well.

I'm trying to remain objective here, but if you want to know the ins and outs of SkyWest and the E3, email me. We already have 30 plus E3 holders online and working.

To answer your question about me supposedly getting referall bonuses for PDT, no you have to work for the AAG company to get the referral bonus. I am absolutely cleaning up with referral bonuses at Envoy with the rotary transition program being an ex helicopter guy myself.

As for why PDT, I've already answered it in previous posts related to travel benefits (mainline travel benefits not contract airline bottom of the bottom on the non rev list), pay, upgrade times (as soon as you get your 1000 part 121 you're good to go).

PDT and envoy are not having trouble at all filling classes. I think PSA is the only wholly owned regional that is hit and miss with class sizes.

By the way I never said that Skywest was **** and not to go there at all, I'm
simply suggesting there are better options on the list. Skywest still sit in the top 1/3rd of my list of recommended companies for E3 applicants. Mesa being on the absolute bottom of the list. Skywest is the like the Cobham or Alliance of Australia whereas Piedmont, PSA and Envoy are equivalent to the Qlink/VARA of Australia but with jets and a contractual flow through to mainline, just to put things in perspective.

And to be factually correct Skywest didn't have the first E3 visa pilot, many helicopter and fixed wing firefighting companies have been utilizing the E3 pilots a long time before Skywest ever jumped on board.

...still single
15th Aug 2017, 19:50
As it stands right now the best company in the US for an E3 visa applicant is Piedmont.

I disagree.
The best regional for an E3 applicant is whichever one suits the individual.

I fly for Gojet (who also accept E3 applicants) because I like their domiciles, and driving to work is a big plus (versus jumpseating to work). Piedmonts bases of Philly, Roanoke and Salisbury are not places I want to live -nothing against them, just not my 1st choice.

Others may may want to fly the E-175 or live on the west coast (Skywest).

Horses for courses.

havick
15th Aug 2017, 22:49
I disagree.
The best regional for an E3 applicant is whichever one suits the individual.

I fly for Gojet (who also accept E3 applicants) because I like their domiciles, and driving to work is a big plus (versus jumpseating to work). Piedmonts bases of Philly, Roanoke and Salisbury are not places I want to live -nothing against them, just not my 1st choice.

Others may may want to fly the E-175 or live on the west coast (Skywest).

Horses for courses.

Are you on an E3 or were you already living in the US prior to working for gojet? That makes a big difference on the points you touched on.

I think the biggest points that really count for an E3 person is:
1) travel benefits (are they mainline benefits or bottom of the list contract airline). Try going back to Aus or bringing family over to the US on non mainline travel benefits and see how many days you get bumped.
2) pay
3) upgrade time
4) live in base. This is easy no matter which airline they work for as they have no roots anywhere in the US in the first place so driving to work will be easy to do no matter which airline they work for.

You are right though everyone will have different priorities/circumstances I'm just pointing out to be wary of people getting you on board simply for the referral bonus and bump in seniority.

going_up
15th Aug 2017, 23:36
To answer your question about me supposedly getting referall bonuses for PDT, no you have to work for the AAG company to get the referral bonus. I am absolutely cleaning up with referral bonuses at Envoy with the rotary transition program being an ex helicopter guy myself.

As for why PDT, I've already answered it in previous posts related to travel benefits (mainline travel benefits not contract airline bottom of the bottom on the non rev list), pay, upgrade times (as soon as you get your 1000 part 121 you're good to go).

PDT and envoy are not having trouble at all filling classes. I think PSA is the only wholly owned regional that is hit and miss with class sizes.

By the way I never said that Skywest was **** and not to go there at all, I'm
simply suggesting there are better options on the list. Skywest still sit in the top 1/3rd of my list of recommended companies for E3 applicants. Mesa being on the absolute bottom of the list. Skywest is the like the Cobham or Alliance of Australia whereas Piedmont, PSA and Envoy are equivalent to the Qlink/VARA of Australia but with jets and a contractual flow through to mainline, just to put things in perspective.

And to be factually correct Skywest didn't have the first E3 visa pilot, many helicopter and fixed wing firefighting companies have been utilizing the E3 pilots a long time before Skywest ever jumped on board.

Good points Havick! I agree with you on many of them. Each airline has their own merits. Mesa being at the bottom? I 100% back you on that one. My comment on the E3 pilot item was that Skywest was and is the first ever RPT (Part 121) carrier to employ an E3 visa holder as a line pilot. New candidates are lucky now that they have options to choose from, go back a year, only Skywest was offering the E3 entry. Pretty much every regional besides SkyWest and Envoy would give me the time of day. So I know for a fact that I was the first E3 RPT (Part 121) guy here as no one except those to airlines wanted to hear from me in a pilot shortage, let alone knew that the E3 existed. No one including Envoy and Skywest knew about the E3.

As for flight benefits, I have American, United and Delta benefits for me and my family. I know that PDT and Envoy board at a higher priority, but most of the AA flights I have been on are damn easy, plenty of empty seats. The AA priority never bothered me. But having great Delta benefits and good United benefits are AWESOME! If you are looking at getting family across to visit of your are heading home from the US for visits, United is the way to go! Why? They service LAX-MEL, LAX-SYD, and SFO-SYD everyday. Delta only serves LAX-SYD as does AA. That is Skywest's shining point, our flight benefits.

As for upgrades, I've been here for less than 2 years, I can upgrade now. But I want to renew my E3 first (in a couple of months) so that I can fly my backside off and not worry about renewing my visa.

Icarus2001
16th Aug 2017, 12:29
I think that it is well worth quoting this from above...looking at the skywest website you might need a second job
$36.50 x 76 hours a month = $2774 gross x 12 months = $33 288

33 288 - 932.50 - 3595 = $28760 per annum NET after federal taxes (15%)

about $550 a week.

I would work on 11 months not twelve as you may need a holiday. So USD$2774 for 11 months gives you USD$30,514pa which is about AUD$38,838pa

Just think about that for a minute...AUD$38K as a jet FO.

Perhaps the cost of living is a little less in the USA but not by that much!

going_up
16th Aug 2017, 14:05
I think that it is well worth quoting this from above...

I would work on 11 months not twelve as you may need a holiday. So USD$2774 for 11 months gives you USD$30,514pa which is about AUD$38,838pa

You are quoting minimum monthly guarantee. All major airlines pay in a very similar way, including Cathay Pacific and all US carriers. Basically, if you sit on the couch and earn 5 hours or anything less than 76 CREDIT hours, then you are still paid the minimum of 76 hours at your hourly rate.

Your pay is based on credit hours, not block time, as with pretty much all airlines. As for the holiday, that's what vacation (annual leave) is for. Or you can do what most do, bid your schedule to have large blocks of days off in a row, no annual leave lost and no real loss of pay.

Many hard working guys average 110 credit hours a month. So first year pay is $37.71/hour. Even if you only do 90 hours, you are still making $3,393.90 not including tax free per diem which the company website clearly states is $1.90/hour. That usually adds up to around $500/month. So even taking it easy, you'll make just shy of 4k/month. If you want to fly more and work harder, I find 110 credit is easily achievable, thats $4,148.10 + $500 = $4,648.10.

Keep in mind, many regionals quote earning 50-60K in your first year, they are not lying. But they have to add your first year bonuses in to that figure to make it so high. I did not receive a bonus from Skywest when I joined and made 48k first year and will make over 60k USD this year. The issue is that once your first year bonuses are gone at other regionals, you loose that 20K bonus that kept you afloat in your first year.

As I've said previously, most Australian's back home looking online at all these regionals offering big first year bonuses to get you in the door, yet Skywest does not offer anything except for the $7,500 bonus if you have part 135 and typed. Why would they do that and still have a growing pilot pool twice the size of any other regional in the US? Would it be nice for Skywest to be hurting so bad that we need to pay massive bonuses? Sure, for joining pilots. But its pretty awesome working for a place with such awesome crews and strong company financials with a positive future outlook.

havick
16th Aug 2017, 14:25
As an FO at Envoy I'm crediting 140-150 hours most months (actually flying about 90-100) and still have about 11-12 hard days off each month. I usually trip trade to get an 8-9 day block off in the middle of the month but that's just personal preference.

Once I hit my 1000 hours part 121 I will upgrade and credit the same amount of time with ease given the crew shortages here USA wide.

Almost all the regionals are like this and it's only going to get better on the pay side. It's not unrealistic at all to be earning 150k USD + at envoy within 2 years of starting. I'm sure Piedmont is the same along with a handful of other regionals.

To me the flow to mainline and east coast basings played a big part in choosing envoy. At status quo I should flow to mainline under 5 years from joining envoy if not sooner, and that's assuming I don't get picked up outside of the flow somewhere else. That being said I have a green card and as such are eligible for the flow through, it's a grey area for E3 holders whether they can also flow
through to mainline AA. It hasn't been tested yet, technically it can happen but realistically I think ALPA will shut it down just like they did with Envoy hiring E3's.

going_up
16th Aug 2017, 14:38
As an FO at Envoy I'm crediting 140-150 hours most months (actually flying about 90-100) and still have about 11-12 hard days off each month. I usually trip trade to get an 8-9 day block off in the middle of the month but that's just personal preference.

Once I hit my 1000 hours part 121 I will upgrade and credit the same amount of time with ease given the crew shortages here USA wide.

Almost all the regionals are like this and it's only going to get better on the pay side. It's not unrealistic at all to be earning 150k USD + at envoy within 2 years of starting. I'm sure Piedmont is the same along with a handful of other regionals.

To me the flow to mainline and east coast basings played a big part in choosing envoy. At status quo I should flow to mainline under 5 years from joining envoy if not sooner, and that's assuming I don't get picked up outside of the flow somewhere else. That being said I have a green card and as such are eligible for the flow through, it's a grey area for E3 holders whether they can also flow
through to mainline AA. It hasn't been tested yet, technically it can happen but realistically I think ALPA will shut it down just like they did with Envoy hiring E3's.

That's pretty awesome figures! I average at least 110 credit/month with penalty pay rates on a couple of trips I pick up each month which all adds up, as I am sure you know pretty well. Having a green card would be awesome! I wish I was lucky enough to get one. You're in a good spot!

I think you are right with regards to the flow thru for E3 visas. I remember reading that you need to be a resident or US citizen. E3's are a non-immigrant visa and as such, are not residents.

VH DSJ
16th Aug 2017, 17:30
I think that it is well worth quoting this from above...

That's based on the minimum guarantee but if you choose to work over time and pick up flights, especially the split duties and the red eyes which pay time and a half or higher, then you can actually credit around 120 hours a month. My last few months where I am now off standby and hold a line, I have credited well over 100 hours. Add per diem for the month which is not taxed, then this is an an extra $800 of so. $4870 USD a month is realistically possible or $53K USD pa. I'm not trying to sugar coat this, but just trying to be realistic.

havick
16th Aug 2017, 18:01
That's pretty awesome figures! I average at least 110 credit/month with penalty pay rates on a couple of trips I pick up each month which all adds up, as I am sure you know pretty well. Having a green card would be awesome! I wish I was lucky enough to get one. You're in a good spot!

I think you are right with regards to the flow thru for E3 visas. I remember reading that you need to be a resident or US citizen. E3's are a non-immigrant visa and as such, are not residents.

2hr EDCT's into LGA and JFK certainly help my cause. But the last 4 months I've credited 140-150 without fail, the delays and credit time will only increase when winter hits.

going_up
16th Aug 2017, 20:12
2hr EDCT's into LGA and JFK certainly help my cause. But the last 4 months I've credited 140-150 without fail, the delays and credit time will only increase when winter hits.

haha! The silver lining to EDCT's! my 110 credit average does not take into account of time and a half penalty rates and the 5 weeks off this year. I have found it to be pretty good money here at Skywest and at most regionals. Looking forward for the upgrade in a few months!

Just curious, are you loading up your schedule and timing out often in order to get such high credit? 140 hours is working it really well! Good on ya! The most i've hit was 150:10 in a month. It was nice! It was only dues to getting displaced and picking up a 20 something hour four day on top.

havick
16th Aug 2017, 22:17
haha! The silver lining to EDCT's! my 110 credit average does not take into account of time and a half penalty rates and the 5 weeks off this year. I have found it to be pretty good money here at Skywest and at most regionals. Looking forward for the upgrade in a few months!

Just curious, are you loading up your schedule and timing out often in order to get such high credit? 140 hours is working it really well! Good on ya! The most i've hit was 150:10 in a month. It was nice! It was only dues to getting displaced and picking up a 20 something hour four day on top.

Yep, kinda like counting cards. Gotta keep the deck stacked in your favor.

I'll time out due to delays, then I'll be removed from flights due to timing out. Then I'll lose flying due to flights cancelling, then I'll go back and pick up the original flying at OT rates plus m my original line value because I now have spare hours up my sleeve (essentially triple dipping). That's in conjunction with bidding lines with transition conflicts etc

There's also some lines with 20-21 days off crediting 75-82 hours. So plenty of opportunity to do an extra 4-5 days OT at 200% which block 20-30 hours (credit 40-60) and still have half the month (hard days).

It's kind of funny, it's almost like playing a chess game with crew scheduling which in itself can give more satisfaction than the flying itself.

Jet Hopper
24th Aug 2017, 11:30
I am an Aussie on E3 and work for Piedmont. It's funny reading all the dicks on here who want to put all the E3 holders down because of whatever were saying. Bottom line is we are all having a ball in our our regionals, earning a livable wage but with great prospects and free jet training, no bonds and a pretty reasonable free flight package. Ive got mates at Skywest and they love it, Ive got a mate at Endeavour and he loves it, I'm at Piedmont and Im enjoying it. Whatever any pilot in Oz thinks we're the ones flying jets with no training bonds and upgrades to captain in about 1 to 2 years. Plus we don't have to deal with any moronic Aussie HR people who keep pissing on Pilots like they are sub human and putting us through hell to get jobs that they then turn around and say we need more pilots for whilst not giving the jobs to us. That's the insane part, not wether one guy wants you to join Skywest because he is or isn't getting a small referral fee. Seriously guys it's so stupid how we continue to have a go at people. Do your own homework and go or don't go but if someone wants to advertise here to go with Skywest because he's getting a referral, let him. People can make up their own minds, christ. Now to clear something up. Piedmont is undergoing massive change so there is now a waiting list up till Dec 17/Jan 18. Piedmont do not have the E3 thing down pat as someone said but they are getting better at it. Skywest on the other hand is proficient at E3's. PDT is transitioning to a jet fleet where as Skywest has it down pat, hence one of the reasons PDT is slow in training as tprop guys need to also be trained on the jet. The pay at PDT is a minimum of $60k US, which includes bonus but in your second year you also get a FO bonus or you upgrade and get the captains wage plus a bonus, so ur wage goes up. When you figure out the system captains are earning $100k+US easily, some $150k here. So, if you're an Aussie and you want to stay in Oz and keep arguing the finer points of what one of the US/Oz pilots are saying, just don't. Do your own research, let people say what they want to say and just move on for gods sake.

gogga1
24th Aug 2017, 13:43
Hey guys,

Did my interview today for the E3 and it was their first time ever doing it so a bit of confusion. They asked me to bring more documents, they requested a DS-156E form and that the employer need to explain WHY it is a specialised occupation.

Now doing research on the DS-156E form, its only required if you are doing an E1 or E2 visa for treat trader/investor, they don't mention anywhere on the US Immigration websites that an E3 visa applicant need that form. Any of you who did the E3 Visa process got the same request?

Secondly the "proof that the employment is a speciality occupation" where do I get this? Should I just get the HR from the company that Im going for email me that you need ATP minimums-will that cover "speciality occupation"? I read somewhere that "speciality occupation" means that the job you are going for needs to require a degree, which the regionals in the US don't require.

Icarus2001
24th Aug 2017, 13:48
The pay at PDT is a minimum of $60k US, which includes bonus

Bottom line is we are all having a ball in our our regionals, earning a livable wage

Very happy for you. That would be AUD$76,000pa as a jet FO.

VH DSJ
24th Aug 2017, 14:33
Hey guys,

Did my interview today for the E3 and it was their first time ever doing it so a bit of confusion. They asked me to bring more documents, they requested a DS-156E form and that the employer need to explain WHY it is a specialised occupation.

Their first time ever doing the E3? Which US consulate is this? All they asked for the E3 visa interview 12 months ago was a letter from your US employer and the Labor Condition Application from the US Department of Labor. That was it. This was at the US consulates in Melbourne and Sydney.

gogga1
24th Aug 2017, 14:36
Im in South Africa at the moment, is the one in Johannesburg unfortunately so firtst time for them.

Their first time ever doing the E3? Which US consulate is this? All they asked for the E3 visa interview 12 months ago was a letter from your US employer and the Labor Condition Application from the US Department of Labor. That was it. This was at the US consulates in Melbourne and Sydney.

going_up
24th Aug 2017, 19:15
I am an Aussie on E3 and work for Piedmont. It's funny reading all the dicks on here who want to put all the E3 holders down because of whatever were saying. Bottom line is we are all having a ball in our our regionals, earning a livable wage but with great prospects and free jet training, no bonds and a pretty reasonable free flight package. Ive got mates at Skywest and they love it, Ive got a mate at Endeavour and he loves it, I'm at Piedmont and Im enjoying it. Whatever any pilot in Oz thinks we're the ones flying jets with no training bonds and upgrades to captain in about 1 to 2 years. Plus we don't have to deal with any moronic Aussie HR people who keep pissing on Pilots like they are sub human and putting us through hell to get jobs that they then turn around and say we need more pilots for whilst not giving the jobs to us. That's the insane part, not wether one guy wants you to join Skywest because he is or isn't getting a small referral fee. Seriously guys it's so stupid how we continue to have a go at people. Do your own homework and go or don't go but if someone wants to advertise here to go with Skywest because he's getting a referral, let him. People can make up their own minds, christ. Now to clear something up. Piedmont is undergoing massive change so there is now a waiting list up till Dec 17/Jan 18. Piedmont do not have the E3 thing down pat as someone said but they are getting better at it. Skywest on the other hand is proficient at E3's. PDT is transitioning to a jet fleet where as Skywest has it down pat, hence one of the reasons PDT is slow in training as tprop guys need to also be trained on the jet. The pay at PDT is a minimum of $60k US, which includes bonus but in your second year you also get a FO bonus or you upgrade and get the captains wage plus a bonus, so ur wage goes up. When you figure out the system captains are earning $100k+US easily, some $150k here. So, if you're an Aussie and you want to stay in Oz and keep arguing the finer points of what one of the US/Oz pilots are saying, just don't. Do your own research, let people say what they want to say and just move on for gods sake.

100% agree'd!!! Even at $76,000AUD/year as a FO, life is awesome! On that money, you can still buy a house, have two nice cars, and have a pretty good life! I've heard a lot of PDT, how are the class sizes? Skywest is filling so many classes, but the bad thing is that the ERJ is over staffed and the CRJ side is under staffed. The good things about being on the CRJ is that their is so much flying to be done, that if you are so inclined, you can smash 1,000hours/year.
Even with my wife not working, we are saving heaps of money here at Skywest. Not too mention that arriving to work each day knowing you do what you love, building excellent experience and my upgrade is literally a couple of months away. Jet hopper, you are so darn correct! A lot of Aussie guys that won't leave Australia and have never worked in a airline tend to sit here and make/find excuses or justifications as to why coming to the US is not a good idea. I bet they say this from their flight school computer, logging a few more 172 or PA44 hours each week, after being on the Q-Link hold file for two years and still expecting a call. PDT screwed around their first Aussie applicant pretty bad, his offer was rescinded by PDT and was told to re-apply after 6 months.

All I can say for those considering coming across, it is worth it. I love flying with all the local pilot, no egos like back home.

bafanguy
24th Aug 2017, 20:13
Im in South Africa at the moment, is the one in Johannesburg unfortunately so firtst time for them.

gogga1,

Hang in there with this visa gauntlet. Too many of your countrymen have done it successfully for you to be completely stopped. Sounds like you just fell into the clutches of the wrong bunch of Perfumed Princes of the Kakistocracy.

Seek out a different fiefdom.

Jet Hopper
24th Aug 2017, 22:30
Piedmont has around 20 per class each month.

pilotchute
25th Aug 2017, 02:23
Icarus,

$76k with a cost of living dramatically less than Mel/Syd or Brisbane.

morno
25th Aug 2017, 07:21
Yeah you're going to get a lot more for your money in the US than you will in Australia Icarus. Why be so negative?

These guys wanted to do something different, don't **** all over them.

Enjoy overseas flying. It'll open your eyes that Australia is difficult only because of all the austronauts.

Some of the easiest pilots to fly with are Mexicans. So laid back, but all the ones I've come across are also very good at their job.

There is a world outside of Australia, ignore everyone else's negativity and go enjoy it.

morno

gogga1
25th Aug 2017, 14:26
Thanks Bafan,

Fingers crossed.

gogga1,

Hang in there with this visa gauntlet. Too many of your countrymen have done it successfully for you to be completely stopped. Sounds like you just fell into the clutches of the wrong bunch of Perfumed Princes of the Kakistocracy.

Seek out a different fiefdom.

bafanguy
28th Aug 2017, 18:44
I can't remember if Commutair has been mentioned as an Aussie potential (too lazy to look back to see) in this thread but they're advertising that they take E3s:

"Valid Passport or E-3 Visa"

Pilots | CommutAir (http://www.flycommutair.com/careers/pilots)

New training center expansion in the works:

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_release/12363352/commutair-a-united-express-carrier-announces-expansion-of-flight-training-center-and-aircraft-maintenance-facilities-to-support-aircraft-growth

aviator777
1st Sep 2017, 02:12
Skywest on AFAP today for those interested/eligible. Advertising abroad...

bafanguy
1st Sep 2017, 08:29
Skywest on AFAP today for those interested/eligible. Advertising abroad...

aviator777,

Do you hear much buzz among your colleagues on this subject Down There ? Appreciable number of people willing to take a run at it ?

wishiwasupthere
1st Sep 2017, 09:08
Do you hear much buzz among your colleagues on this subject Down There ? Appreciable number of people willing to take a run at it ?

The words getting out. An ad on AFAP will definitely spread the word. There's still the stigma of 'pilots on food stamps' in the US which obviously isn't the case anymore.

umop apisdn
1st Sep 2017, 09:54
Got my last few twin hours in and applied for Skywest yesterday with all the mins :)

bafanguy
1st Sep 2017, 11:09
Here's the AFAP ad. I didn't realize SKW had so many bases:

https://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3655/SkyWest%20Airlines%20-%20First%20Officers

going_up
1st Sep 2017, 20:51
Hi guys,
I hope you are all doing well! I have had a ton of inquiries from Aussie from all around the world asking about SkyWest. I have been with the company just short of two years now and was fortunate enough to be the first E3 visa pilot at any US airline. I cannot speak highly enough of how great my work/lifestyle is with SkyWest for my wife, little one and myself. Feel free to PM with any questions.
Skywest only just placed the ad on AFAP within the last 24 hours. SkyWest are eager to recruit Australian pilots who meet the E3 and FAA ATP requirements. Long story short, you do not need a degree in aviation, but you need 12 years work experience equivalent. How this works? For ever year of tertiary education (CPL, CIR, META, ATPL, etc) equates to 3 years work experience. So lets say you have been working for 6 years, and it took you 2 years of training to obtain your certificates full time, then you meet the requirements. That being said, a degree obviously covers this requirement without any further experience required but the degree must major in aviation. I am more than happy to help look at anyones situation who is looking to join Skywest.

I have already received a fair few guys emails and have contacted them directly. Feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks once again for all those interested!

mohikan
1st Sep 2017, 21:00
Just be aware that going_up gets 5,000 USD per 'successful' referral. He is therefore no better (or worse) then a crewing agent. Probably he should be paying the owners of PPRune for an advertorial each time he posts.

All is not beer and skittles in the US. Buyer beware. Do your homework

going_up
1st Sep 2017, 21:15
Just be aware that going_up gets 5,000 USD per 'successful' referral. He is therefore no better (or worse) then a crewing agent. Probably he should be paying the owners of PPRune for an advertorial each time he posts.

All is not beer and skittles in the US. Buyer beware. Do your homework

One thing I love about Prune are guys like this. It's not $5,000USD, It's $1,250.:D Do your homework! I only get a referral bonus if you agree that I send you a link and you apply through said link. So there! Full disclosure! That shut you down faster than you could make your morning coffee! Please do your homework as stated from a pilot who is most likely not in the US as he would know off the bat that things in the US are great and that I do not get a referral bonus for anyone that I chat with!

Other guys online that are not pessimistic such as "mohikan" feel free to just ask questions about SkyWest. If you apply directly on the website, I CANNOT get any referral bonus, and frankly, it does not bother me. I only get a referral if you first chat with me prior to applying and you apply thru a link I provide you. If you do not want me to earn a little referral cash, no stress. I have still been chatting with heaps of guys that have already applied and not been referred by me. More than happy to help.

bafanguy
1st Sep 2017, 21:29
All is not beer and skittles in the US. Buyer beware.

mohikan,

Can you tell me what country is all "...beer and skittles..." ? Does this country have air service (I'd prefer going by boat) ? I'd like to go there !

I normally avoid these philosophical "excursions" but let's not pile on going up. I hope he does make a few bucks referring his countrymen. He profits...his proteges profit. I spent 35+ years flying for a living and can tell you a person needs all the help he can get...at every step...and one takes it where he can get it. It's not evil; it's life.

But, other US regionals are also taking E-3s so one can, if so inclined, opt for a non-SKW carrier to punish going up for his avarice.

Capitalism !! It's a good thing. ;-)

going_up
1st Sep 2017, 22:08
mohikan,

Can you tell me what country is all "...beer and skittles..." ? Does this country have air service (I'd prefer going by boat) ? I'd like to go there !

I normally avoid these philosophical "excursions" but let's not pile on going up. I hope he does make a few bucks referring his countrymen. He profits...his proteges profit. I spent 35+ years flying for a living and can tell you a person needs all the help he can get...at every step...and one takes it where he can get it. It's not evil; it's life.

But, other US regionals are also taking E-3s so one can, if so inclined, opt for a non-SKW carrier to punish going up for his avarice.

Capitalism !! It's a good thing. ;-)

Thank you very much! Well put!
It is true and obvious that other regional are out there, following Skywest in looking at Aussie on the E3 visa. It's a great visa if you are qualified.

I cannot say that Skywest is a answer for everyone, but I can say positively that you won't regret joining Skywest. I attempt to keep neutral and still keep in touch with a guy that went to Piedmont and had his offer rescinded. I'm just happy to help others explore this wonderful opportunity.

bafanguy
1st Sep 2017, 22:37
I attempt to keep neutral...
gu,

You're under no obligation to do that.

You called it as you found it. Others can explore and accept/reject that then proceed according to their individual circumstances.

mohikan
2nd Sep 2017, 07:00
going_up is not "the first Australian pilot to get an E3 visa". There was a QF captain on LOA in the early 'thousands who lived and worked in Alaska on one. I am aware of at least one other also from my time contracting in Europe.

In addition, the only reason Australian pilots are being hired for regional operations is to keep US pilot wages depressed post the introduction of the "1500 hour rule" after Colgan air.

You are effectively scabbing on US pilots. Kid yourself otherwise.

Lastly, the carriers that going_up and others are holding up as shining lights of model employers are notorious for exploiting pilots, pushing safety and maintenance standards, having wafer thin operational resilience and generally operating an negative and toxic business model for the enrichment of executives at the expense of staff. No different to anywhere else.

There is currently massive influence operation by regional airline sponsored lobbyists going on aimed at the US congress at present to get the "1500 hour rule" rescinded.

If that happens, Skywest and others will drop going_up and all other E3s like third grade French.

By all means take whats on offer, listen to going_up and others who are lining their pockets with commissions at your expense, but be in no doubt whats actually going on here and above all have a plan for when the merry go around stops.

How many E3 australian pilots are members of US ALPA I wonder ?

pilotchute
2nd Sep 2017, 08:04
Mohikan,

Scabs work as strike breakers. I don't see any US regionals on strike.

2nd Sep 2017, 11:01
What he said

2nd Sep 2017, 11:33
going_up is not "the first Australian pilot to get an E3 visa". There was a QF captain on LOA in the early 'thousands who lived and worked in Alaska on one. I am aware of at least one other also from my time contracting in Europe.

In addition, the only reason Australian pilots are being hired for regional operations is to keep US pilot wages depressed post the introduction of the "1500 hour rule" after Colgan air.

Lastly, the carriers that going_up and others are holding up as shining lights of model employers are notorious for exploiting pilots, pushing safety and maintenance standards, having wafer thin operational resilience and generally operating an negative and toxic business model for the enrichment of executives at the expense of staff. No different to anywhere else.

There is currently massive influence operation by regional airline sponsored lobbyists going on aimed at the US congress at present to get the "1500 hour rule" rescinded.

If that happens, Skywest and others will drop going_up and all other E3s like third grade French.

By all means take whats on offer, listen to going_up and others who are lining their pockets with commissions at your expense, but be in no doubt whats actually going on here and above all have a plan for when the merry go around stops.

You've made a lot of good and accurate observations especially in regards to going_up. And I know that he's primary motivation is lining his pockets and narcissistic tendencies. But in all of he's posts they've been 98% accurate to what I also know.
You are also right the merry go around will stop one day. However I don't see it happening for a few years yet so I'm going to enjoy the ride while I still can. Having a great time earning decent money. Getting valuable 20+ tonne jet time actually hand flying approaches if I want. Not sitting in the back of a QF or CX plane getting cruise relief time going to LHR or HKG.

cLeArIcE
2nd Sep 2017, 16:08
What he said
What he said x2. One of the great things about the USA is that the lack of constant negativity and putting others down (d*ck waving) that goes on at so many places in Australia.
You don't even need a referral to get into skywest anymore so I dont know what you guys are going on about referral bonuses for. The guy is offering to help, like everything take his advice on board then do your own research and make your own decision. Skywest is a good option but so are other places (except Mesa). Or, you can continue waiting on the Qlink call that never comes or hope
the guy that thinks you need 3000 hours and a shuttle endorsement to fly a c404 makes an exception for you.

If you are switched on, prepared to learn and be humbled come to the USA, get some free jet time flying into places like LAX, SFO, Chicago etc with some great crews. That first CATII to mins in Chicago onto a contaminated runway, navigating the craziness that is O'Hare ground during a snow storm will open your eyes. There is a big world outside of Australia and they do aviation so much better.
Oh and free staff travel (F. R. E. E)!! In Y within the USA is not bad either.

going_up
2nd Sep 2017, 18:16

I was in the US on a E3 visa working as an instructor prior to joining Skywest! Read the post! I was he first AIRLINE PILOT E3 visa holder! People who can read between the lines are looking at you with smiles. You are loosing credibility with each post.
If you apply directly, I don't get a cent. If you are happy for me to refer you, then contact me directly. I'm not taking money for any applicants! If they allow me to refer them, the airline gives me $1,250! Not he applicant.

VH DSJ
2nd Sep 2017, 18:40

Really? It's certainly not how the tens, perhaps hundreds of US pilots I've worked and flown with in the last 10 months perceive us Aussies working here. I, and I'm sure other Australian pilots also, have been made to feel very welcome on the flightdeck by US pilots, who are either company Captains in the left seat or the occasional Capt or FO from the majors who jumpseat on our flights. They make us feel very much at home.

As mentioned above, it's a great experience for anyone considering making the move; brand new aircraft (if you're on the E175 fleet), a range of weather to deal with from CAT2 ILS (which all FO's at SkyWest are certified to do), snow and deicing procedures in the winter, convective TS activity in the summer, international flying to Vancouver, Edmonton in Canada, and Guanajuato in Mexico and the opportunity to fly in to the world's busiest airports like Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Atlanta. It sure beats instructing circuits in a 152 at Moorrabbin or Bankstown.

going_up
2nd Sep 2017, 21:22
You've made a lot of good and accurate observations especially in regards to going_up. And I know that he's primary motivation is lining his pockets and narcissistic tendencies. But in all of he's posts they've been 98% accurate to what I also know.
You are also right the merry go around will stop one day. However I don't see it happening for a few years yet so I'm going to enjoy the ride while I still can. Having a great time earning decent money. Getting valuable 20+ tonne jet time actually hand flying approaches if I want. Not sitting in the back of a QF or CX plane getting cruise relief time going to LHR or HKG.

I would suggest you reconsidering your post with regards to me lining my pockets with a mere $1,250 bonus without knowing a single thing about me. Consider yourself lucky that someone like me open the doors for Aussies in the regional world, and let me tell you, it wasn't me basically applying and them saying yes. Pretty much everyone would not have a bar of me!

I dislike those who are so quick to shoot me down when I have helped so many come across to Skywest before we opened it to mainstream recruitment! So these guys that are applying and sending me loads of emails asking for advice, what should I do? Just stop relying for the sake of all these negative Aussies online? Nah! I think I will continue to be the guy that Skywest based their decision on to open the E3 doors publicly.

I have done all the ground work on this, started this whole damn thing, and I would be damned if I sit by and watch a fellow pilot put me down without any justification! I have only referred on guy from online out of over 20 that have contacted me. Why so little? Because I actually care!

As you would have no doubt seen, this whole putting down fellow pilots does not really exist here in the US, let alone at Skywest. I would appreciate if you keep your negative view to a minimum, especially ones that are unjustified.

The great thing is that all the guys emailing me don't actually post here. I must say that the positive response from Aussie pilots with great attitudes has been overwhelming. Thanks again to all those considering Skywest. As I said, I do not mind if you are with other regionals and have questions. I know that other regionals are still very much learning as they go.

havick
2nd Sep 2017, 22:40
I would suggest you reconsidering your post with regards to me lining my pockets with a mere $1,250 bonus without knowing a single thing about me. Consider yourself lucky that someone like me open the doors for Aussies in the regional world, and let me tell you, it wasn't me basically applying and them saying yes. Pretty much everyone would not have a bar of me!

I dislike those who are so quick to shoot me down when I have helped so many come across to Skywest before we opened it to mainstream recruitment! So these guys that are applying and sending me loads of emails asking for advice, what should I do? Just stop relying for the sake of all these negative Aussies online? Nah! I think I will continue to be the guy that Skywest based their decision on to open the E3 doors publicly.

I have done all the ground work on this, started this whole damn thing, and I would be damned if I sit by and watch a fellow pilot put me down without any justification! I have only referred on guy from online out of over 20 that have contacted me. Why so little? Because I actually care!

As you would have no doubt seen, this whole putting down fellow pilots does not really exist here in the US, let alone at Skywest. I would appreciate if you keep your negative view to a minimum, especially ones that are unjustified.

The great thing is that all the guys emailing me don't actually post here. I must say that the positive response from Aussie pilots with great attitudes has been overwhelming. Thanks again to all those considering Skywest. As I said, I do not mind if you are with other regionals and have questions. I know that other regionals are still very much learning as they go.

You're not the first Aussie pilot to fly in the US on an E3. Get your head out of your ass, otherwise I agree with most of your other points

going_up
2nd Sep 2017, 22:48
You're not the first Aussie pilot to fly in the US on an E3. Get your head out of your ass, otherwise I agree with most of your other points

Havick, you guys are killing me. How many times do I need to say this. The first E3 airline pilot. Not just pilot, just a 121, RPT, airline, whatever you ant to call it, I was the first to set up this E3 pilot stream for AIRLINESSSSSSS!!!!!

I know of a guy who worked in FL as a flight instructor few the great part of a decade, well before I even knew about the E3!

I would appreciate and look forward to your reply! AIRLINE E3 pilot!!!!

How would I know this? When I first started applying more than 2 years ago, all of them had no idea about the E3, thought it was the H1B1 and showed me the cold shoulder!

I would really like to see your reply considering "I have my head up my ass"

I am sorry to be blunt, I am just tired of being attacked here!

wishiwasupthere
2nd Sep 2017, 22:52
Apart from stoking your ego, does it really matter?

going_up
2nd Sep 2017, 23:01
Apart from stoking your ego, does it really matter?

Well, I initially stated this as a sign of my background into the E3 visa stream, I attempted to present myself as an individual you know the ins and outs of the E3 visa stream with 121 carriers in the United States.
When you attempt to offer help and your creditably is under attack, those who are genuine usually fire back at the individuals spouting negative comments about what you are attempting to do. Those that are called out as frauds, tend to keep quiet as they don't have anything to back themselves up.

So in short, yes! It does matter when people are making negative statements about me that are clearly unjust.

How does this inflate my ego? Because I put in the leg work? If it was an ego thing, why the hell am I offering assistance without any return? Why would I make such statements?

I'll tell you why! So those looking for assistance know where to go. I am not the be all and in all. We have many pilots here that could help you. I am just offering my assistance and I get the typical Australian forum treatment?

What is your reply?

havick
3rd Sep 2017, 00:49
Well, I initially stated this as a sign of my background into the E3 visa stream, I attempted to present myself as an individual you know the ins and outs of the E3 visa stream with 121 carriers in the United States.
When you attempt to offer help and your creditably is under attack, those who are genuine usually fire back at the individuals spouting negative comments about what you are attempting to do. Those that are called out as frauds, tend to keep quiet as they don't have anything to back themselves up.

So in short, yes! It does matter when people are making negative statements about me that are clearly unjust.

How does this inflate my ego? Because I put in the leg work? If it was an ego thing, why the hell am I offering assistance without any return? Why would I make such statements?

I'll tell you why! So those looking for assistance know where to go. I am not the be all and in all. We have many pilots here that could help you. I am just offering my assistance and I get the typical Australian forum treatment?

What is your reply?

I personally know of three E3's flying 121 Airlines that were here long before you.

It's not a negative statement about you, it's simply pointing out you weren't the first, and wing be the last. The only person that seems to be making a big deal about allegedly being the first is you.

Not that it matters, who really gives a toss but you?

Facts is E3's will continue to be hired. Everyone is welcome.