View Full Version : Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

zerograv
24th Jun 2022, 22:12
airline pilot jobs are not a "specialty occupation"

One can only conclude that airline pilot is kind of a 'vulgar' profession. It shows a creative way to put it ...
One wonders why some many US airlines are not able to recruit the 'vulgar' employees that they are in need of ?
One also wonders if Spirit would fulfil all the 'Section 6' suggestions that SPA MEC recommends that would really fix the issue ?

goose1
25th Jun 2022, 01:48
Port Moresby!
bookings Avbl on tuesdays and thursdays and turned around in 24hrs

Bluesideup2022
25th Jun 2022, 01:58
cheers goose guess it's back to the old PNG for me then

big buddah
25th Jun 2022, 08:39
Why is Fiji out?

tossbag
25th Jun 2022, 09:09
They are only processing requests for Fiji nationals. Not E3 requests, that's only for Australians, but other requests. (A mate went there but got caught out by this)

big buddah
26th Jun 2022, 00:13
Oh ok, I asked the visa help line and there was no indication that they wouldn't process non nationals Suva for non immigrate visas.

So what's the go with Port Moresby, do you pay online in advance and then book an interview for the Tuesday and have your passport back end of the day? Stay two nights in Moresby?
Is it the same for Singapore pay online and book the appointment in advance and then turn up, and a process time of 7 days?

MD_Attitude
26th Jun 2022, 02:27
I got told from Singapore consulate that they don’t want to do an E3 as they don’t understand the process for non resident of Singapore ( as in their pre requisite, employment and conditions based on E3) which I find tham a bit unsure of processing an E3 and they are suggesting I need to do it here in australia . So I think this option is out for me . PNG is not a bad option . Will someone care to detail the process here from start to finish would be very useful and also any other avenues closer to australia.

thanks

MD

goose1
26th Jun 2022, 03:14
Recent example, Moresby appt 14th June, in morning. Picked up passport following morning with E3 in passport.
prob a good idea on arrival to tell customs that you just visiting png rather than going to US consulate to get visa. They can get a bit sensitive.

Another Pilot
30th Jun 2022, 02:55
Hello Fellow Aviators

Anyone who made an appointment outside of Australia apart from PNG or just recently got their E3 approved?

If someone could please shed some light on the consulates where appointments are available within 2-3 weeks and 2-3 day turnaround.

As rumours have it… SIN, Fiji and Japan is not wanting to entertain E3’s anymore.

TIA all

Climb150
30th Jun 2022, 11:38
Hello Fellow Aviators

Anyone who made an appointment outside of Australia apart from PNG or just recently got their E3 approved?

If someone could please shed some light on the consulates where appointments are available within 2-3 weeks and 2-3 day turnaround.

As rumours have it… SIN, Fiji and Japan is not wanting to entertain E3’s anymore.

TIA all

Brunei is less than 2 weeks atm I have been told. You can email and ask

[email protected]
Good luck

Another Pilot
1st Jul 2022, 05:55
Brunei is less than 2 weeks atm I have been told. You can email and ask

[email protected]
Good luck

Thanks mate

rodney rude
2nd Jul 2022, 01:36
So Spirit is concerned that overseas pilots (Australians) are suppressing conditions in the US. But still we all go. But don't dare see Rex or Air North or any Aus company do that. How dare they, what is the government thinking. Hypocrites.

morno
2nd Jul 2022, 02:03
So Spirit is concerned that overseas pilots (Australians) are suppressing conditions in the US. But still we all go. But don't dare see Rex or Air North or any Aus company do that. How dare they, what is the government thinking. Hypocrites.

You call the massive pay rise that a lot of airlines have had over there recently, suppressed? :hmm:

Rex offered some stupidly low offer and think it’s acceptable….. I’ll leave that there

tossbag
2nd Jul 2022, 03:25

There had been a bit of chatter on a regional bulletin board about E3's keeping the pay conditions low, that was when the hourly rate was around $51 p/h. In the last month that hourly rate has gone to $90 p/h. E3's have point five percent of ****all effect on pay rates in the US.

Pay rates in the US are skyrocketing, pay rates in AUS.............plummeting.

Abroad145
2nd Jul 2022, 04:22
There had been a bit of chatter on a regional bulletin board about E3's keeping the pay conditions low, that was when the hourly rate was around $51 p/h. In the last month that hourly rate has gone to $90 p/h. E3's have point five percent of ****all effect on pay rates in the US.

Pay rates in the US are skyrocketing, pay rates in AUS.............plummeting.

Most regionals are still starting pilots at $50 per hour. Spirit Airlines woeful first year hourly rate is $61 per hour. It seems every day there are more negative social media posts on Facebook and LinkedIn. We are being labelled scabs. The best thing would be for Australians not to go to Spirit. Stay away till their contract negotiations are complete.

tossbag
2nd Jul 2022, 06:12
I'm talking about the AA WO regionals not 'most regionals'

I think you'll find that first year pay at every airline, whether it's regional, major or LCC is poor.

As far as accepting an offer with Spirit goes, it would be a tough ride trying to work in an environment like that.

MD_Attitude
2nd Jul 2022, 08:45
From what I have heard from people working for spirit airlines , it’s not a bad company after all if you want to stay there for the next 5 years or so and yes ofcourse starting pay is not pretty inviting too. I am sure once the merger is finalised they may increase their pay to attract pilots from all over USA and other places as they are expanding and this would really hurt them if they can’t find pilots now as not many would wanna leave regionals with sorta better conditions now than what they have had in the past . Spirit is still a good options if you want to skip regionals completely unless ofcourse one don’t have the hours and experience to apply to spirit at the first place .

Good luck everyone and get onboard before Recession kicks in !!!

bafanguy
2nd Jul 2022, 10:09
So Spirit is concerned that overseas pilots (Australians) are suppressing conditions in the US. But still we all go.

I must be missing something here. Spirit is concerned that E3s are suppressing conditions so they're sending their recruiters to Australia on a headhunting expedition ?

If Aussies are suppressing conditions by accepting the 1st year pay at regionals or LCCs, then so are the Americans who also accept the same terms of employment at the same carriers. And at a unionized carrier, pilots don't get to vote on anything in their first year. Starting in the second year, they get to vote for/against any negotiated contract just like US citizens. I doubt the Aussie factor, in isolation, would be large enough to swing the vote one way or the other.

Now in the Part 91, 135 world where people essentially negotiate individual Ts & Cs with an employer, perhaps that suppression argument could be made...PERHAPS. I just don't know for sure.

[ In case people haven't noticed, [b]EVERY PILOT GROUP complains about their negotiated pay, work rules and the process that achieved them...Delta, United, FedEx, American...and every regional that has ever existed. Yet they still exist and have even before they had E3s.]

umop apisdn
2nd Jul 2022, 15:28

We are going pretty hard for raised rates, so the union had to do something when they announced the roadshow. Honestly I genuinely hope that all the Aussies go to the wholly owned AA regionals where they can make some proper money, but make no mistake, getting 60 - 80 Australians into your airline really doesn't do much when 100s are leaving per month and the net pilot gain is still negative.

As far as accepting an offer with Spirit goes, it would be a tough ride trying to work in an environment like that.

It really wouldn't. Everyone here is chill. You'll be hard pressed to find any Australian pilot that has been badgered by a local at any airline for coming over and 'suppressing wages,' because they know it's not true. They are too busy working their ass off and seeing hundreds of flights cancel every month while their management does nothing of value to curb attrition. There is no "dey took ur jerbs" vibe over here because literally ANYONE can get a job anywhere they want at the moment.

We are being labelled scabs.

We are absolutely not. You need to be really careful with using the S word when you don't know what it means, as does anyone else that utters it on social media or in actual media. Anyone that says it wrapped in an opinion has no idea what they are talking about. "Seems pretty scabby to me" "In my book that's scab behaviour" etc etc... It's like watching seagulls with a friend who suddenly thinks that they seem more like antelope and tries to convince you of such. You'd think your friend had a few screws loose. There is absolutely no grey area on the definition of scab.

I must be missing something here. Spirit is concerned that E3s are suppressing conditions so they're sending their recruiters to Australia on a headhunting expedition ?

Spirit the company is not the Spirit union, that's where all this is coming from,

bafanguy
2nd Jul 2022, 15:44
Spirit the company is not the Spirit union, that's where all this is coming from,

Ah so, makes sense. I knew I'd missed something.

And you're right about the term, scab. People who know better throw that emotional hand grenade into their arguments...for emotional effect. Shame on them. The real definition isn't too hard to understand.

morno
2nd Jul 2022, 21:27
Go and have fun boys and girls. Don’t listen to anyone who tries to put you down for going over there, because ultimately it’s only one thing coming from them, JEALOUSY!

:ok:

rodney rude
3rd Jul 2022, 00:52
No jealousy at all Morno, you're clealry a smart guy so I'm surprised you'd make a broadbrush generalisation.. There is a huge amount of talk about air operators in Australia who are offering rubbish conditions that Aussies are offended by. We all talk about the race to the bottom. Would you say to foreign pilots coming here to join airlines that bypass locals or offer conditions we locals know are rubbish "Come and have fun boys and girls, and don't listen to anyone tryin g to put you down for helping the race to the bottom, they're just jealous." If you would say that, I offer you my thanks for accelerating the race to the bottom. We can't have it both ways.

I admittedly don't have much knowledge of the pilot market and why there are E3s being thrown around like smarties. But Bafanguy, I'm only responding regarding the letter written by Spirit pilots essentially not happy with wage suppression caused by E3s. I would take it that means Aussies are doing exactly what we hate happening here. If its a genuine pilot shortage and even good conditions are being ineffective as a recruiting tool, then get on the fastest boat. But when a group of pilots says the conditions are low and not enough Americans will accept them, then that is a very different story - expats are helping that airline with the race down.

DropYourSocks
3rd Jul 2022, 00:57
It might be time to update the thread title to Australian pilots can work for US airlines... since we're everywhere now. On a serious note, I'll echo what others have said here. I, nor any other Aussie I know, have ever been made to feel anything but welcome in the US. Get amongst it, the Americans are awesome to fly with, and you'll enjoy some incredible new experiences.

Some of my personal favourites include:
-flying over Times Square at 4000'
-briefing how to depart DCA to the north and not get blasted by Whitehouse defence
-enjoying bbq and live country music in downtown Nashville
- Cancun overnights
-flying rnavs into uncontrolled Rocky Mountain airports at night that have an elevation of ~7000'
-shooting an ils to minimums onto a contaminated runway in the middle of winter into Indianapolis
-diverting from Little Rock due to tornadoes touching down around the field
-learning that dive bars is where you'll have the most fun

Point is, if you're an aviation nerd, you'll nerd out hard here. If you're after a plethora of cultural experiences, you'll find that too.

DropYourSocks
3rd Jul 2022, 01:11
I admittedly don't have much knowledge of the pilot market and why there are E3s being thrown around like smarties.

This statement right here is exactly why the Spirit MEC did what they did. A lack of knowledge breeds fear of the unknown, and the MEC's reaction is completely rational. But here's the fundamental difference between the slew of concessionary contracts being voted on in Aus. Every airline that takes E3s, except Spirit, has either raised pay, or their pilot group has voted down subpar offers from management. Frontier raised first year pay, Spirit won't be far behind regardless of if they have E3s or not.

With the exception of Skywest, every airline here is also a closed shop. That means you're either in the union, or you're unemployed, unlike Aus.

While it would be a fair statement to say "every Australian pilot that heads over delays contract improvements", it's a tough argument to quantify. The number of us is a drop in the ocean compared to the movement of American pilots. Just this year's hiring alone is more than there are Australian airline pilots on the planet, give or take. This is especially true when there are hundreds of cancelled flights due lack of crews, and pay increases seem to be the order of the day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a shot at you, but the way the US works is hard to grasp when compared to how small and depressed the Australian industry is by comparison.

morno
3rd Jul 2022, 02:08
I admittedly don't have much knowledge of the pilot market and why there are E3s being thrown around like smarties.

Then the rest of your argument is not worth reading

Trevor the lover
3rd Jul 2022, 07:57
You're right. Particularly the line "clearly you're a clever man".

Guess the argument was a bit too solid for you.

Trevor the lover
3rd Jul 2022, 08:01
Dropsocks. Thanks for the constructive reply. Gives an insight of industrial tactics at play.

Kenny
3rd Jul 2022, 10:39
Having paid dues and been a member of ALPA for 20 years now, I’ve seen how ALPA has at certain times taken a stand on issues and spun them in a less than accurate light, to rally and galvanise the masses. This is one of those times. Anybody actually working for a US carrier knows full well, the number of E3’s is insignificant and wholly unlikely to make any difference to pay and conditions, perceived or otherwise. However, it won’t make a blind bit of difference because there’s nothing like a threat to your wallet, to get you to lose focus of the truth.

BUT, don’t underestimate any unions ability to rally support when it comes to “foreign pilots taking our jobs”. I had a feeling this would happen at some point. There’s a race to secure as many pilots as possible going on in the US. Every airline needs as many bodies as they can get and they all need them now. In the 7 years I’ve been back here, the mob I’m with have hired 5000 pilots. That’s just one airline. No union will let this need or any leverage it creates, go missed. It’s that simple.

tossbag
3rd Jul 2022, 10:45
You'll be hard pressed to find any Australian pilot that has been badgered by a local at any airline for coming over and 'suppressing wages,' because they know it's not true.

That's good to hear!

Capn Rex Havoc
3rd Jul 2022, 22:49
I’m over in the US of A - best move ever. The pilot shortage in the US is a real and present. Thousands of flights a day are cancelled due crewing. Not only is the pay better than a comparable position in Aus, but the attitudes of your colleagues, instructors and management are light years ahead of any Australian company. The ANAL, fascist, approach to aviation that Australian Aviation has morphed into, has resulted a work/life balance that only can lead to depression and misery. I am enjoying flying again. I am enjoying life, and am very thankful that Australians have the privilege to work in the US on the E3 visa program. Oh on a side note, there is ZERO animosity here towards us working over here. Pay rates have gone up twice since I have started, and no US bloke is being held back from command because of Aussies coming over.

Rogerwood
3rd Jul 2022, 23:40
I’m over in the US of A - best move ever. The pilot shortage in the US is a real and present. Thousands of flights a day are cancelled due crewing. Not only is the pay better than a comparable position in Aus, but the attitudes of your colleagues, instructors and management are light years ahead of any Australian company. The ANAL, fascist, approach to aviation that Australian Aviation has morphed into, has resulted a work/life balance that only can lead to depression and misery. I am enjoying flying again. I am enjoying life, and am very thankful that Australians have the privilege to work in the US on the E3 visa program. Oh on a side note, there is ZERO animosity here towards us working over here. Pay rates have gone up twice since I have started, and no US bloke is being held back from command because of Aussies coming over.

Thanks for that great reply. The naysayers on here saying don’t go can stay and watch aviation here sink lower into the sewer. Hope to fly with you soon

KAPAC
4th Jul 2022, 02:12
Australian pilots ability to fly in the states on a E3 visa is seen by other nationalities as unfair . Only Australians at this stage can get an E3 . Who knows what it’s future is but if it was available to everyone there would be such a rush with experienced pilots from all over the globe most Aussies would not be competitive.

Servo
4th Jul 2022, 02:17
Australian pilots ability to fly in the states on a E3 visa is seen by other nationalities as unfair . Only Australians at this stage can get an E3 . Who knows what it’s future is but if it was available to everyone there would be such a rush with experienced pilots from all over the globe most Aussies would not be competitive.

Why do you think Australian pilots would not be competitive? Genuine question, not trying to start a riot.

Being an Aussie, as has been mentioned a few posts above, we are extremely anal with procedures/communications/checks. I stand that we have an excellent safety record because of it. Would it be regarded as the opposite from your position/country?

Cheers

Gnadenburg
4th Jul 2022, 02:21
Australian pilots ability to fly in the states on a E3 visa is seen by other nationalities as unfair . Only Australians at this stage can get an E3.

Which other nationalities see it as unfair? Australia and the US are quite close- aligned in fact and with trade arrangements.

KAPAC
4th Jul 2022, 02:35
Agree , Australia and the states are close , not unlike US and U.K. but Brits don’t get E3 . Europe with NATO ? Free trade agreements ? Lots of countries work closely with the states, with military and trade but to my knowledge no one else gets a chance at a E3 visa .
Im smart enough to not get into a debate with you Gnads , my point was this E3 is a bit of a gift in my opinion . If I was young and just starting out I’d go for it . See another part of the world , Australia will always be there . The Aussie passport , the gift that keeps on giving .
All in my opinion only
I’m out !

Australopithecus
4th Jul 2022, 02:41
The E3 visa agreement was reached fair and square with the USA as part of our bilateral free trade deal and is mutually beneficial. If your own government was too lax to seek out such a treaty for you then tough. As far as other nations' pilots being better qualified…perhaps in transport jet hours, otherwise not really.

Servo
4th Jul 2022, 05:34
I agree with KAPAC that this is definitely a godsend!

I would also like to add as to how pleasantly surprised i have been with the positive, laid back attitude of the human resource department has been so far! They have shown nothing but professionalism, empathy and they are truly excited for us going over there! from my experience, this has been the complete opposite with HR in Australian Aviation.

Hearing that a LOT Staffypilot. Same with their training and checking attitude. Would be refreshing. 19 years at same company here and still treated like a rabid dog.

aseriesofleftturns
4th Jul 2022, 06:52
AA and United offering +14% and +17% respectively, yet you have white ants at the QF group telling you a further 2 years x 0%, then 2% thereafter "is not a bad deal" or "we'll get em' on the next one".

Leave while you can. Opportunity doesn't last forever.

CaptainInsaneO
4th Jul 2022, 10:46
Haha so true.

tossbag
4th Jul 2022, 10:57

Who gives a fat rats ar$e what the rest of the world thinks. Australia has stood beside the US through thick and thin, the only country to have fought in every war that the US has. I don't care to hear your politics or your ignorant anti everything US. You continue to **** every pilot generation coming behind you, but worse, you whinge and complain endlessly. As my Dad used to say 'The Continual F@cking Whinge' The worst whingers are the ones that benefited from the 'A Scale'

You are at risk of becoming the south pacific ignorants, the very thing you accuse the Americans of.

Servo
6th Jul 2022, 09:48
How long do E3 visas last for? Finding mixed answers via google.

Are they expected to be perpetual whilst things are ok in USA? I expect for those younger in age will look at getting a green card to live their permanently?

ZebraFlyer
6th Jul 2022, 10:55
How long do E3 visas last for? Finding mixed answers via google.

Are they expected to be perpetual whilst things are ok in USA? I expect for those younger in age will look at getting a green card to live their permanently?

2 years and can be renewed forever, provided they need you. Is what one recruiter said to me recently. Though they said after a 2 or 3 year period green card sponsorship is on the table so mightn't be an issue..

Servo
6th Jul 2022, 11:46
2 years and can be renewed forever, provided they need you. Is what one recruiter said to me recently. Though they said after a 2 or 3 year period green card sponsorship is on the table so mightn't be an issue..

Thank you very much ZF. Appreciate your reply. Something to consider before making a life changing decision. Not an easy decision either in my circumstances.
Cheers

DropYourSocks
6th Jul 2022, 22:16
Here comes Atlas doing roadshows at home too. Get after it you heathens.

https://www.eventcreate.com/e/atlasaustraliantour2022

DropYourSocks
7th Jul 2022, 03:29
To follow on from above, this is all you need to prep for any interview in the US.
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/

I've used this site to prep for 3 interviews now, and it has always been more or less on the mark. A good deal for the $20 they ask. (I'm not affiliated with the above either).

No need to spend money on prep companies who may or may not sell you the best case scenario for you to base a massive life decision on. There are pitfalls to the E3, which have been covered ad nauseum on this thread. The airline of your choosing will get you squared away with the immigration stuff. There's enough folks over here willing to give you the real down low, you need only ask.

cxflog
7th Jul 2022, 03:39
To follow on from above, this is all you need to prep for any interview in the US.
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/

I’ve used this website for multiple interviews as well, absolutely fantastic and well worth the price.

ShandywithSugar
7th Jul 2022, 05:22
....then all those who go for fast cash and promotion return to crew the next wholly-owned or contracted subsidiary and the cycle continues. Hopefully, those left secure quality T&Cs from 'Bravo Airlines' and Network up before the next subsidiary is bought and used against us again.

Gnadenburg
7th Jul 2022, 07:33
....then all those who go for fast cash and promotion.

I’ve done both. Legacy Australian carrier and fast cash and promotion as you put it. Wish I had have done the fast cash and promotion and skipped the Legacy carrier part. Anyone whose motivated don’t look back and go for it! Broaden your aviation experience so you can honestly chuckle at the Oztronauts. Legacy carriers are risky.

stillcallozhome
7th Jul 2022, 11:49
....then all those who go for fast cash and promotion return to crew the next wholly-owned or contracted subsidiary and the cycle continues. Hopefully, those left secure quality T&Cs from 'Bravo Airlines' and Network up before the next subsidiary is bought and used against us again.

Spoken with true experience of what is being discussed 🤦‍♂️

Rogerwood
7th Jul 2022, 22:37
I’m not leaving for fast cash or promotions. I gave everything I had recently to the JQ process only to be told please try again in 12 months. I honestly believed I did well on every part of the process and have a good resume which I’ve spent the last 7 years building.

Im leaving because I want to feel valued and appreciated for my skills and experience.

Well said mate. I’ve spent 23 years building it and be told that I wasn’t interacting enough at the lunchtime break was gutted. Sim, buttons exams all smoked. Not being woke enough and faking conversation with HR will do me.

Hudson5
7th Jul 2022, 22:51
I received an email from Pinstripes about ATLAS doing the roadshow today. They must be jumping on the opportunity to cash in on the U.S interviews, which I find completely unnecessary, as there is plenty of free information online and on pprune. The U.S airline style interviews are very relaxed, they keep it real and are more of a conversation then anything. They will cater the interview around your experience and training and they will send you the study material before the interview anyway. The HR person will inform you of what the interview will entail. The technical portion is not tricky all- Make sure you know the aircraft that you are currently flying. Obviously do some research on U.S, TAF's, alternate minimums, reg's and the company before hand as they will appreciate that. They don't try to trick you out of the job. They wont dig deep to try and make you feel like a criminal. You will feel supported, comfortable and satisfied -Unlike biased Aussie interviews here where you feel like you are being prosecuted on the cross bench.

I recall doing a Dash 8 Cobham interview and I was asked a dozen tech questions.
One of the questions involved going through all the gradients in different configurations (3.2%, 2.4% etc) and when I paused on an answer the interviewer went silent on me as though he had caught me out!!

Was like I was interviewing for a shuttle mission to the moon lol
Not once was I asked what I enjoyed doing etc

anonfly
8th Jul 2022, 05:21
I recall doing a Dash 8 Cobham interview and I was asked a dozen tech questions.
One of the questions involved going through all the gradients in different configurations (3.2%, 2.4% etc) and when I paused on an answer the interviewer went silent on me as though he had caught me out!!

Was like I was interviewing for a shuttle mission to the moon lol
Not once was I asked what I enjoyed doing etc

Those gradient type questions **** me to tears. Who gives a flying f**k. The aircraft is required to make those climbs for certification. We fly the metal according to SOPs and FCOM which then in turn will meet the requirements to achieve said gradients.

MD_Attitude
8th Jul 2022, 06:32
I couldnt have said better myself. Come to think if it Australia Aviation is like 1% of what were are actually seeing in the USA. Dont beat around the bush guys & gals.think outside Australia and you may not be disappointed.
ell of course if you have a family & wife working etc then thats another can of worm. Does get a bit tricky!!
Opportunities are knowing at our doorsteps, grab it with both hands and maybe legs too ;)

On the Cobham side, I had Interviewer texting mates to find out more about me while doing an Interview with me !! Go figure . I may end up flying 747 soon but In Australia I wont even get a look in, Go figure

MD

tossbag
8th Jul 2022, 09:17
Overwhelmingly, the interview for an American airline is majority focussed on the "No D!ckhead Policy" Can I spend 4 days away with you and get the job done. They do expect effort in knowing some basic US airspace and procedures surrounding the interview pack they send you. When you learn the alternate requirements for FAA/US you will scratch your head and say "Is that it??"

You WILL NOT need to spend money on pinstripe prep (unless of course you are interviewing for the airline they are associated with). aviation interviews is the go.

Blueocean505
9th Jul 2022, 01:33
I received an offer with Breeze, I’m early 50’s and taking the family.
I am coming off a turboprop with no prior jet time. My interview went well, we talked about general stuff, what I enjoyed doing in my spare time, a few HR questions tell me about a time etc Very relaxed interview about 1 hour.
Are there any other Breeze crew if we can share emails please and keep in contact.

[email protected]
Regards Doug

Blueocean505
9th Jul 2022, 01:46
I couldnt have said better myself. Come to think if it Australia Aviation is like 1% of what were are actually seeing in the USA. Dont beat around the bush guys & gals.think outside Australia and you may not be disappointed.
ell of course if you have a family & wife working etc then thats another can of worm. Does get a bit tricky!!
Opportunities are knowing at our doorsteps, grab it with both hands and maybe legs too ;)

On the Cobham side, I had Interviewer texting mates to find out more about me while doing an Interview with me !! Go figure . I may end up flying 747 soon but In Australia I wont even get a look in, Go figure

MD

I did the Cobham interview and I decided not to take the job. Horrible
see Hudson reply above

young_gunpilot
9th Jul 2022, 03:33
I hear you! Back in the mid/late 2000's I was interviewed by a Type -A personality egotistical Chief Pilot and a 767 check and training captain at Qantas Link (no HR) straight after completing the 747 sim assessment.

Whilst I was trying to figure out why there was no HR, I could not help but immediately feel like I was the underdog.

The tense environment was set and it was pretty much game over from the minute the interview had begun. Although I was trying to stay calm and answered all of the technical questions correctly with a level head, the CP would not give up on grilling me- 2 ltrs of sweat later, the CP leaned over towards me and with an aggressive tone asked me what is 2.5% (climb gradient at the MAP on the ILS chart) x 120kt of GS ?. (working out the single engine climb speed with 1 engine INOP.) whilst i was trying to figure out why he was being so hostile, (my positive frame of mind broken at this stage) all i could think about was (Sh*t I need a calculator) as i sat there frozen.. He then leaned closer to me with a more tense demeanour and said " you don't need a calculator to work it out!" "WHAT is 2.5 TIMES 120 ??" Although it took me about 1 min to work it out in my head, he sat back in his chair and with a slight grim on his face like i had been caught out. The interview ended there and the end result was that I did not get the job. I look back now and I cannot help to reflect how unnecessary and appalling that behaviour was.

Rogerwood
9th Jul 2022, 07:34
Can anybody shed some light if the Atlas Air E3 visa for Aussies allows their spouse/partner to join them in the USA and afford them the ability to seek employment?

Yes if married. It’s not the Atlas E3 specifically. Kids can work as well up to a specific age.

ThunderstormFactory
9th Jul 2022, 10:18
Yes if married. It’s not the Atlas E3 specifically. Kids can work as well up to a specific age.

Kids cannot work. Only your spouse can.

Rogerwood
9th Jul 2022, 12:23
Kids cannot work. Only your spouse can.

Thats currently right, from November there are changes that spouse’s and your kids can get a job. I looked into this and it appears correct. But like everything until you are there be careful.

DropYourSocks
10th Jul 2022, 04:32
Since there's so much interest in Atlas, I thought some here might appreciate seeing what's in their CBA.

https://wp.iap2750.org/resources/

Straight from their union website.

Karunch
11th Jul 2022, 10:54
Hi Guys, did anyone go to the Spirit airlines interview in Melbourne ? if so, can you please shed some light on the experience? I heard it was a small turn out

No unemployed pilots left in Australia perhaps. They have already left.

Rogerwood
12th Jul 2022, 23:57
Mate can you clear your inbox I’m trying to send you a message.

ExtraShot
13th Jul 2022, 03:31
No unemployed pilots left in Australia perhaps. They have already left.

These roadshows seem to be skipping Perth.. there’s a HUGE portion of pilots working on very substandard EAs (Network, Alliance/bravo, skippers,etc…) in Perth who’d likely be interested. Perhaps those on the ground over there should Point that out to your recruiters.

Rogerwood
13th Jul 2022, 05:11
These roadshows seem to be skipping Perth.. there’s a HUGE portion of pilots working on very substandard EAs (Network, Alliance/bravo, skippers,etc…) in Perth who’d likely be interested. Perhaps those on the ground over there should Point that out to your recruiters.

Was at the Melbourne roadshow. Perth pilots came over. They found that not enough to warrant them flying 5 personnel over their. So clearly not enough interest from WA

abaderrr
13th Jul 2022, 06:22
Was at the Melbourne roadshow. Perth pilots came over. They found that not enough to warrant them flying 5 personnel over their. So clearly not enough interest from WA

West Australians don't leave West Australia. It's precisely why they continue accepting subpar conditions as long as they're home every night under the safe rule of Mark.

ExtraShot
13th Jul 2022, 06:36

I reckon They’re ignoring a couple hundred of potential applicants.

Many of these pilots probably don’t have staff travel, that’s IF they could even justify affording the trip! Even if they could, at this time of year everything is pretty chockers so staff travel is unreliable and the available full fare tickets are even more costly… of course only a handful went over. That’d be far more than I would have expected.

ThisPilotWifeLife
13th Jul 2022, 08:07

Maybe they actually read the CBA? Personally I'm struggling to see how $95 an hour (or even $133 for a second year FO) is better than working for Network or Alliance. At only 64 hours guaranteed a month, and anything over that at the same crappy $95 an hour, maybe it's just me, my calculator might be broken.

Rogerwood
13th Jul 2022, 08:31
I reckon They’re ignoring a couple hundred of potential applicants.

Many of these pilots probably don’t have staff travel, that’s IF they could even justify affording the trip! Even if they could, at this time of year everything is pretty chockers so staff travel is unreliable and the available full fare tickets are even more costly… of course only a handful went over. That’d be far more than I would have expected.

staff travel aside, not 1 of the WA were airline or even close. Mostly charter.

Rogerwood
13th Jul 2022, 08:50
staff travel aside, not 1 of the WA were airline or even close. Mostly charter.

And their not ignoring anyone. If you really wanted the job you would get over to the east. If you want to spend every night at home well that’s your choice. Spirit put it out their, only a few took the bait. Typical WA mentality of you come to us.

giveittheherbs
13th Jul 2022, 10:57
Back on the E3 Visa appointment train, does anyone have recent experience attending an E3 interview in Sydney?

Personally, I don’t have a bachelors just an Advanced Diploma and 9yrs experience.

I’ve heard the Sydney consulate has been pretty cut and dry with the requirements in the past.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Australopithecus
13th Jul 2022, 12:01
Maybe they actually read the CBA? Personally I'm struggling to see how $95 an hour (or even $133 for a second year FO) is better than working for Network or Alliance. At only 64 hours guaranteed a month, and anything over that at the same crappy $95 an hour, maybe it's just me, my calculator might be broken.

Yup, its just you. Or maybe not just you. US pilot contracts do not operate the same way as Australian ones do. Nor is the cost of living the same. Its not all roses, but I think that $133/hr ($200 AUD) is an actual living wage. Does Network provide a middle class wage for 2nd year F/Os? For reference, I believe QF mainline F/Os are circa $200/hr 55hr min guarantee. No overtime. 20 years to command.

abaderrr
13th Jul 2022, 13:10

Comparing Atlas to Network/Alliance is laughable. So yeah, it's just you.

ExtraShot
13th Jul 2022, 13:31
And their not ignoring anyone. If you really wanted the job you would get over to the east. If you want to spend every night at home well that’s your choice. Spirit put it out their, only a few took the bait. Typical WA mentality of you come to us.

I explained pretty clearly why that’s not a choice for many of them. Have you seen what a skippers pilot earns!? Atlas and Spirit etc should Just ignore what could be hundreds of potential applicants, whatever.

Full disclosure, I’m not interested, but I’d love to see them strip the local operators bare. Particularly the Qantas affiliated ones.

also, If anyone thinks the Network contract is better than that Atlas contract I just read through, well, I guess you’ll be a key target to be a long term Network pilot then.

DropYourSocks
13th Jul 2022, 14:49
I explained pretty clearly why that’s not a choice for many of them. Have you seen what a skippers pilot earns!? Atlas and Spirit etc should Just ignore what could be hundreds of potential applicants, whatever.

Full disclosure, I’m not interested, but I’d love to see them strip the local operators bare. Particularly the Qantas affiliated ones.

also, If anyone thinks the Network contract is better than that Atlas contract I just read through, well, I guess you’ll be a key target to be a long term Network pilot then.

So here's the thing though, you don't need to go to these roadshows to get the job. You apply, email a recruiter, and interview over Skype. Job done.

I'm happy these roadshows are happening, and for those that go I suspect they're doing interviews and offering CJOs on the spot, but that's not like it really precludes anyone else from getting a CJO the normal way. At these roadshows, you will also get the company sales pitch, and as someone above said, it's not all roses. But it is a damn sight better than local contracts.

Right now in the US, it has never been easier to get whatever job it is you're pursuing. There's none of the rigmarole of home. And when your seniority comes up for a command, it's yours. There's no "command assessments", or someone junior to you brown nosing their way up ahead of you. There's no being stuck on one type while junior folks go to another type. You can go from FO on one type to Captain on another type, with no moon landings necessary.

ThisPilotWifeLife
14th Jul 2022, 00:02
Yup, its just you. Or maybe not just you. US pilot contracts do not operate the same way as Australian ones do. Nor is the cost of living the same. Its not all roses, but I think that $133/hr ($200 AUD) is an actual living wage. Does Network provide a middle class wage for 2nd year F/Os? For reference, I believe QF mainline F/Os are circa $200/hr 55hr min guarantee. No overtime. 20 years to command.

You're right US contracts don't operate the same way Australian ones do. It's a completely different language. Rostering at Atlas works on seniority and its not a rotating wheel like it is here. I spoke to 4th year FOs who are still not getting anything they bid for. Open time and vx is on a bidding system and is also all based on seniority. I've also spoken with captains who didn't take their command until 6 years after it was offered to them so their seniority was high enough that they didn't have to take a pay cut. They made more as a senior FO with roster seniority than a first year captain.

The shiny brochure they are showing everyone is just complete BS, the only numbers you can believe on that brochure are the lowest ones. A 3-4th year FO on the 747 can expect to make 133K, a first year is looking around 90K to 100K. Not sure if that is enough to move across the world for. I know a 9th year Captain on the 767 who made 225K last financial year and that was a good year for him. The 747 captains are sitting around 250K.

As for article 33 (the 175% of hourly rate - covid gravy train money) it's now only applicable for India, China and one other country (forget which one) and you have to have enough seniority to bid to get those lines. You could always pray for another global pandemic of course.

Granted Alliance has a better EBA than Network, overtime for Alliance kicks in at 55 hours every 28 day roster period and CPI this year is going to be a decent hike for them, plus there's the tax break coming this year, all of a sudden Alliance doesn't sound so bad. Maybe Atlas is a realistic option for a single Network/Bravo FO.

E3 visa's need to be renewed every two years, you can bet Aussies will be the first on the chopping block when the time comes, then you're stuck with the fun of trying to claw your way back in Australia.

Obviously its better than being unemployed but there is a reason this company was in arbitration for 5 years. Their conditions suck. Atlas is basically the Network/Alliance of the US, sometimes its better the devil you know.

But maybe its just me - and the pilots who actually work for Atlas, and their wives, who would really like to know where all the money is that Atlas putting in their shiny recruitment brochure.

ExtraShot
14th Jul 2022, 00:52
So here's the thing though, you don't need to go to these roadshows to get the job. You apply, email a recruiter, and interview over Skype. Job done.

I'm happy these roadshows are happening, and for those that go I suspect they're doing interviews and offering CJOs on the spot, but that's not like it really precludes anyone else from getting a CJO the normal way. At these roadshows, you will also get the company sales pitch, and as someone above said, it's not all roses. But it is a damn sight better than local contracts.

Right now in the US, it has never been easier to get whatever job it is you're pursuing. There's none of the rigmarole of home. And when your seniority comes up for a command, it's yours. There's no "command assessments", or someone junior to you brown nosing their way up ahead of you. There's no being stuck on one type while junior folks go to another type. You can go from FO on one type to Captain on another type, with no moon landings necessary.

Right, Understood. Ahh, to be 20 years younger… sounds like some great opportunities.

Likeasomebody
14th Jul 2022, 04:12
Any aussies out there wanna swap passports for a fellow kiwi.

I'll head to the US for ya 😂

Al E. Vator
15th Jul 2022, 00:33
The US is booming, desperate for pilots and will be for years.
They are practical when it comes to aviation (unlike the so many examples of ridiculous behavior by senior ‘big fish in small pond’ management pilots in Australia who need ego building by belittling colleagues or potential applicants).
if it suits, go to the US and grasp the opportunity with full gusto.
It is a supply and demand driven economy and there are insufficient pilots, so conditions can only continue to rapidly and significantly get better and better.
Ignore any naysayers, do it, have a great experience, save some cash, invest sensibly, come back here later, retire early or do something else you love and pat yourself on the back for getting out of your comfort zone.

Buttscratcher
15th Jul 2022, 02:23
.....and eventually having to sell your ass in Central Park to make rent.
Butt, at least you're out of your 'Comfort Zone"

havoste
15th Jul 2022, 02:34
.....and eventually having to sell your ass in Central Park to make rent.
Butt, at least you're out of your 'Comfort Zone"

It's close, but I'd rather sell my ass in Central Park than go through Australian HR and subsequent hold file.

Servo
15th Jul 2022, 03:33
I appreciate everyone's circumstances are unique, but wanted to get some thoughts. I expect the answers will differ remarkably.

I am mid 40's, kids have moved out. Still have a mortgage and still married. Been with current company 15 years. Same aircraft type the whole time.

Thinking that with the current situation in USA (I am non resident), it will never be a better chance to fly something bigger, new airspace, procedures and see the world.

Obviously pay will be markedly different to what I am earning as a narrow body captain. Just not feeling the vibe with pax based flying in Australia any more or having junior crew bypass for positions or types in the past.

Was thinking Atlas or National. Crazy or throw caution to the wind and see where it takes me for the rest of my available age "restricted" career?

Seeing a few colleagues taking the opportunity, only very recently with no actual rosters or flying commenced yet, whilst they do their induction and training.

My mind and eagerness for something different says YES, but recent posts here say NO.

Thoughts and criticism welcomed.

Cheers

havick
15th Jul 2022, 04:18
I appreciate everyone's circumstances are unique, but wanted to get some thoughts. I expect the answers will differ remarkably.

I am mid 40's, kids have moved out. Still have a mortgage and still married. Been with current company 15 years. Same aircraft type the whole time.

Thinking that with the current situation in USA (I am non resident), it will never be a better chance to fly something bigger, new airspace, procedures and see the world.

Obviously pay will be markedly different to what I am earning as a narrow body captain. Just not feeling the vibe with pax based flying in Australia any more or having junior crew bypass for positions or types in the past.

Was thinking Atlas or National. Crazy or throw caution to the wind and see where it takes me for the rest of my available age "restricted" career?

Seeing a few colleagues taking the opportunity, only very recently with no actual rosters or flying commenced yet, whilst they do their induction and training.

My mind and eagerness for something different says YES, but recent posts here say NO.

Thoughts and criticism welcomed.

Cheers

How many of the people here saying NO, have actual experience over here in the US? My guess is a handful or none.

Rogerwood
15th Jul 2022, 07:55
How many of the people here saying NO, have actual experience over here in the US? My guess is a handful or none.

I bet none. Im 50, never flown a jet. Always wanted to. Tick the box, have fun, you only live once. You can afford it if you want it

Buttscratcher
15th Jul 2022, 10:13
I think the folks saying 'no' are pilots that have been there, done that, and since returning to Oz, figure that it's better not to put it all at risk
The 'yes' people believe the hype, and trust that no one will bone them.
Sure, it is an adventure, but right now, how did that work out for everybody?
The Expats are always the first to be let go, and what kind of union protection are provided for you?
Look, sure, do it, but remember you are basically on your own.

umop apisdn
15th Jul 2022, 10:33
I think the folks saying 'no' are pilots that have been there, done that, and since returning to Oz, figure that it's better not to put it all at risk
The Expats are always the first to be let go, and what kind of union protection are provided for you?

So far it's worked out pretty well for everyone, unless you do something to personally get yourself fired, or had the unfortunate experience of working for a now non-existent airline.

Skywest tried unsuccessfully to get rid of all of their E3s. They don't even have a proper union.

Any Aussie paying dues to an actual union are pretty safe from being furloughed out of seniority order IMO. I don't think it's ever happened. We are afforded exactly the same rights as locals, which is also a requirement of the E3 and notably different from any other overseas job, where they can pull the contracts at any moment.

Fatguyinalittlecoat
15th Jul 2022, 10:58
If I was in my 20's again, I would be on the first plane out of here, but I'd be under no illusion that I was somehow protected there. If the recession comes, and things slow down, E3 visa holders will be the first to go. It will have nothing to so with seniority, you will just become ineligible to work in the US. Unless you find "the one" and she happens to be American.

Have a great time, but don't burn your bridges. This too will pass.

bafanguy
15th Jul 2022, 13:45
Skywest tried unsuccessfully to get rid of all of their E3s. They don't even have a proper union.

Any Aussie paying dues to an actual union are pretty safe from being furloughed out of seniority order IMO. I don't think it's ever happened. We are afforded exactly the same rights as locals, which is also a requirement of the E3 and notably different from any other overseas job, where they can pull the contracts at any moment.

^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

Of course, the shifting ground upon which all airlines sit is always a factor. But there's nothing you can do about that.

DropYourSocks
15th Jul 2022, 16:44

Bro, the expats are not the first to go in the US. Covid proved that, when a bunch of WARN letters when out at our airline, the most junior went first, E3 or otherwise. It was only government assistance that actually stopped people from getting furloughed. Given how the expat lifestyle generally works, and a lack of knowledge of what the E3 actually is, your lack of knowledge is understandable. But, the E3 is a skilled worker visa. There doesn't have to be a shortage of Americans. It also doesn't cost a company anything to renew your E3 visa, so they could happily furlough in seniority order and still continue to renew your E3.

Also, while an E3 visa cannot be cancelled by the company, if they legitimately fire you, or you annoy them enough so that they choose not to renew your visa, well that's on you. It's really not hard to thrive in the US environment, but if you choose to bring an Oztranaut mentality with you, you can't say you weren't warned.

Rogerwood
15th Jul 2022, 20:54

Rubbish. What a sad person you must be? Do it but remember it won’t work out, you will be sacked first, no union membership etc. That’s all lies. You have a seniority number and that is who goes first after they request anyone wishing to furlough. I know this from the oz pilots who are still there. They all have union membership and voting rights in the EBA. Maybe keep your unproven comments to yourself?

Buttscratcher
16th Jul 2022, 01:08
Nice reply sir, you are indeed a gentleman!

tossbag
16th Jul 2022, 02:59
now now petal, perfectly reasonable reply to an obvious snowflake.

Buttscratcher
16th Jul 2022, 04:30
Ok, so if you two have explored all options in Australia, and for some unacknowledged reason, no decent operator will give you the job you 'deserve', then by all means, leave.
At some point, however, you may wish to examine why your careers are not going well in your own country.

havick
16th Jul 2022, 05:26
Ok, so if you two have explored all options in Australia, and for some unacknowledged reason, no decent operator will give you the job you 'deserve', then by all means, leave.
At some point, however, you may wish to examine why your careers are not going well in your own country.

I don’t think anyone is saying that. Everyone is merely pointing out that there in fact better opportunities in the US than Australia.

at least in the US the airlines/operators follow their contracts which are far more robust and actually follow seniority.

tossbag
16th Jul 2022, 06:24

That's gold, love it :}

Personally, I was in the job that matched my experience level before I left. I had one job offer here that was a step up, lower pay and significant time in the right seat.

Most of the people I know that left would have made it into any gig here, but would be waiting 15 + years to command rather than 2. They're also moving into a market where pilots have the intelligence and balls to recognise that the demand/supply balance is in their favour and are negotiating suitable conditions.

Al E. Vator
16th Jul 2022, 13:59
My goodness, the ‘Buttscratchers’ of the world: too afraid to try something for fear of failure or leaving their comfort zone so they try to reinforce their fear with comments such as “you’ll have to sell your ass in Central Park”.
if it doesn’t suit or you are too uncomfortable leaving your familiar place, simple - don’t do it.
But don’t denigrate others who have or are considering a move with negative and invariably inaccurate statements.
There’s a big rewarding world out there for Aussie pilots. Embrace it if you want.
Don’t paint false pictures if your circumstances or fear of living prevent you from doing so.

abaderrr
16th Jul 2022, 17:22
Can almost guarantee buttscratcher is an incestuous QF fan boy who's terrified of leaving his backyard.

Karunch
16th Jul 2022, 22:28

The lower half of the QF mainline seniority list fall into that category. Staying home to advance ones career, an interesting strategy.

Servo
17th Jul 2022, 01:30
Thank you for the replies. Interesting responses. Some of them were expected.

What a strange web we weave in this industry.

Cheers

Blueocean505
17th Jul 2022, 05:07
My goodness, the ‘Buttscratchers’ of the world: too afraid to try something for fear of failure or leaving their comfort zone so they try to reinforce their fear with comments such as “you’ll have to sell your ass in Central Park”.
if it doesn’t suit or you are too uncomfortable leaving your familiar place, simple - don’t do it.
But don’t denigrate others who have or are considering a move with negative and invariably inaccurate statements.
There’s a big rewarding world out there for Aussie pilots. Embrace it if you want.
Don’t paint false pictures if your circumstances or fear of living prevent you from doing so.

The ones that write that crap have never ventured outside their own country or even state. Like doing fifo in WA etc. Those who get out of their back yard are frowned upon!

Blueocean505
17th Jul 2022, 05:26
Can anyone recommend (besides the FAA website) a website or even ‘cheat sheet’ type document on typical radio calls for Airline Crew in the US? I believe there are a lot of similarities to Oz just interested in differences etc
cheers

abaderrr
17th Jul 2022, 07:44
Atlas now fully funding ATP/CTP

Australopithecus
17th Jul 2022, 09:01
Can anyone recommend (besides the FAA website) a website or even ‘cheat sheet’ type document on typical radio calls for Airline Crew in the US? I believe there are a lot of similarities to Oz just interested in differences etc
cheers

The difference is that the pilots and controllers do not adhere to a set format. There is a lot of plain language. Perhaps you could listen in on LiveATC or similar sites?

bafanguy
17th Jul 2022, 12:08

For what category of applicant ?

I see some program they have for very low-time pilots that includes the ATP-CTP but can't tell from the wording if Atlas pays for this program or the pilot:

"Our Pathway to Success Program will provide pilots that meet ATP / R-ATP minimums the opportunity to complete their ATP via an AAWW vetted program that includes the Airline Transport Pilot Certificate Training Program (ATP / CTP), ATP Written Exam, ATP Practical Exam, and an Introduction to Boeing Course designed to prepare you to fly the 737. "

https://careers.atlasairworldwide.com/careers/?departments=Other

the_rookie
17th Jul 2022, 12:33

Already looking to leave WA qlink?

havick
17th Jul 2022, 13:16
Already looking to leave WA qlink?

Because Qlink is the holy grail of aviation?

abaderrr
18th Jul 2022, 05:54
For what category of applicant ?

I see some program they have for very low-time pilots that includes the ATP-CTP but can't tell from the wording if Atlas pays for this program or the pilot:

"Our Pathway to Success Program will provide pilots that meet ATP / R-ATP minimums the opportunity to complete their ATP via an AAWW vetted program that includes the Airline Transport Pilot Certificate Training Program (ATP / CTP), ATP Written Exam, ATP Practical Exam, and an Introduction to Boeing Course designed to prepare you to fly the 737. "

For all applicants, including those that self-funded their ATP-CTP once receiving an offer from Atlas, who will now be reimbursed by the company. An email was sent out from the company.

bafanguy
18th Jul 2022, 06:11
For all applicants, including those that self-funded their ATP-CTP once receiving an offer from Atlas, who will now be reimbursed by the company. An email was sent out from the company.

Thanks...interesting.

Gnadenburg
19th Jul 2022, 03:57
One book I implore young guys heading abroad to take with them, is Aussie Expat: Luckiest Person On The Planet. It’s dated in parts but it gets you investing as an expat. Everyone I know who read it did very well and were well equipped to sit out COVID or walk away from aviation in their late 40’s onwards.

I don’t know the packages in the USA. In Asia my peak earning capacity was about one year as an expat would be worth working three at QF- if you count tax free investing more like a year was worth five at QF. One year as an expat was not even calculable with the other packages now on offer in Australia. Enjoy the amazing adventure and professional broadening of the mind, but don’t blow it! You should come home mortgage free, superannuation inflated and if cunning, perhaps enough tax credits to work tax free in Australia for a few years.

Good luck. Unshackle financially from aviation.

KAPAC
19th Jul 2022, 04:36
And if possible , stay married .

Servo
19th Jul 2022, 07:33
If you commute back to Oz on days off with Atlas or National, I assume the ATO will take their share. It used? to be 180 days away or something like that and you didnt pay Oz tax.

Anyone have the latest on that?

Cheers

anonfly
19th Jul 2022, 09:53
If you commute back to Oz on days off with Atlas or National, I assume the ATO will take their share. It used? to be 180 days away or something like that and you didnt pay Oz tax.

Anyone have the latest on that?

Cheers

All to change. https://atlaswealth.com/au/news/changes-to-the-australian-tax-residency-rules-affecting-expats/

Legislation hasn’t changed but if you are planning on going, go to live. Commuting from Oz may no longer become a viable option. If all these rules get up it will be near impossible to be a non tax resident. Even if only a few of them do.

Servo
19th Jul 2022, 11:17
All to change. https://atlaswealth.com/au/news/changes-to-the-australian-tax-residency-rules-affecting-expats/

Legislation hasn’t changed but if you are planning on going, go to live. Commuting from Oz may no longer become a viable option. If all these rules get up it will be near impossible to be a non tax resident. Even if only a few of them do.

Thank you anonfly. Just read that link and associated link regarding double tax agreement as well. Says it will come into affect 1 July 2022 or 1 July 2023. Damn. Always something.

Rogerwood
19th Jul 2022, 22:23
Been given any news after the oz roadshow?

Bluesideup2022
24th Jul 2022, 13:28
Has anyone else got a start date with Spirit in OCT with me?

Servo
25th Jul 2022, 02:33
Any feedback from the first Atlas roadshow in Melbourne today?

Cheers

bafanguy
25th Jul 2022, 08:32
For some reason (likely operator error), I couldn't get a link to the PDF for this bit but...there was an airline labor and employment symposium earlier this year (never heard of FordHarrison) where the subject of the US airlines hiring expats was one of the topics. Use of E3s was apparently on the docket there. Google this and it'll lead you to the symposium schedule:

FordHarrison airline labor and employment symposium

10:00 AM - 10:45 AM
RECRUITING FOREIGN PILOTS TO SOLVE STAFFING SHORTAGES
With pilot shortages at critical levels throughout the industry, many airlines are looking to recruit from outside the U.S. borders. What do you need to know about the use of E-3 visas?
Geetha Adinata, Partner, FordHarrison LLP

Abroad145
25th Jul 2022, 13:36
For some reason (likely operator error), I couldn't get a link to the PDF for this bit but...there was an airline labor and employment symposium earlier this year (never heard of FordHarrison) where the subject of the US airlines hiring expats was one of the topics. Use of E3s was apparently on the docket there. Google this and it'll lead you to the symposium schedule:

FordHarrison airline labor and employment symposium

10:00 AM - 10:45 AM
RECRUITING FOREIGN PILOTS TO SOLVE STAFFING SHORTAGES
With pilot shortages at critical levels throughout the industry, many airlines are looking to recruit from outside the U.S. borders. What do you need to know about the use of E-3 visas?
Geetha Adinata, Partner, FordHarrison LLP

I know Atlas is using them as well as the AA wholly owned regional groups. E3's are probably a gold mine for the likes of FordHarrison.

bafanguy
25th Jul 2022, 13:50
Abroad145,

I never heard of FordHarrison but thought it was interesting that the use of expats in the USA had reached the level of employment consultants rather than the occasional regional that stumbled across the idea.

Global Aviator
25th Jul 2022, 22:56
My mind thinks in weird ways so I googled FordHarrison thinking it may have been founded by Harrison Ford… yeah nah… :) :) :)

Scooter Rassmussin
25th Jul 2022, 23:31
Funny talking to older Australian pilots they were always mostly desperate to get back to AUSTRALIA and would work anywhere to achieve that .
Times are changing , AUSTRALIA with its high cost of living , unaffordable housing , excessive tax rates and lack of infrastructure and is certainly not going to improve long term . The strength of the USD affordable living and lower taxes, who wouldn’t jump at that .
Now to find a new wife , there’s more women in the USA as well so that should be easier too.

ThunderstormFactory
29th Jul 2022, 00:19
Has anyone else got a start date with Spirit in OCT with me?

PM’d you.

filler

aseriesofleftturns
29th Jul 2022, 04:20
Kalitta now hiring E3's.

Another Pilot
29th Jul 2022, 09:17
Kalitta now hiring E3's.

A link would be helpful... their website doesn't state anything about E3's.... neither does google search brings up any results.

havick
29th Jul 2022, 09:56
Kalitta now hiring E3's.

That’s a buy 180 from Kalitta. They never used to even hire green card holders, they required US citizenship.

Just shows how dire things are getting in the US for staffing.

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 13:24
That’s a buy 180 from Kalitta. They never used to even hire green card holders, they required US citizenship.

Just shows how dire things are getting in the US for staffing.

They did/do a lot of DoD missions that required a US security clearance.

Capn Rex Havoc
29th Jul 2022, 14:47

So? What are you implying here?

havick
29th Jul 2022, 14:57

Just goes to show how short the industry is if Kalitta is willing to onboard pilots that they can’t potentially use on every trip.

Their Scheduling will have to be a little more careful with non US citizen pilots is all.

KAPAC
29th Jul 2022, 15:00
Just goes to show how short the industry is if Kalitta is willing to onboard pilots that they can’t use on every trip.

Their Scheduling will have to be a little more careful with non US citizen pilots is all.
Have things changed and they will now allow non US citizens operate into US bases?

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 15:15

Jesus, do you have to approach everything in an aggressive way? I wasn't implying anything, simply stating a fact. If they fulfil US Govt. contracts requiring security clearances, they can bypass US employment laws and require US citizenship, rather than just US residency.FedEx had the same thing for years due to the US postal contract.

bafanguy
29th Jul 2022, 15:37

Hard to say how all this works. Kalitta's recruiting page specifically says a US passport is a requirement (not that it means anything these days)...but I can't find another Kalitta-like ACMI carrier that has a similar requirement listed. And they all do DoD work in some form or another.

One carrier (can't remember which one...they run together after a while) lists a requirement to obtain a security clearance in event of CRAF activation. That's not too likely.

I guess a Kalitta publication saying they're taking E3s would answeer that question.

Capn Rex Havoc
29th Jul 2022, 15:48
Havick,

National are using us Aussies on e3's for DOD work.

Kenny,
I don't see how you can interpret that as aggressive ? Harden up princess. Lol

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 15:49
Hard to say how all this works. Kalitta's recruiting page specifically says a US passport is a requirement (not that it means anything these days)...but I can't find another Kalitta-like ACMI carrier that has a similar requirement listed. And they all do DoD work in some form or another.

One carrier (can't remember which one...they run together after a while) lists a requirement to obtain a security clearance in event of CRAF activation. That's not too likely.

I guess a Kalitta publication saying they're taking E3s would answer that question.

BG, Whilst all the ACMI do or have done DoD contracts, some take some very serious stuff around the world and into places that the US Govt. would rather not openly be a part of. A friend of mine that used to work at Evergreen, alluded to "ordinance" he took into TLV. A former RAF guy and not given to the usual BS stories we can sometimes tell in the bar over a few beers, I had absolutely no reason to not believe him. The point I was trying to make was that it's illegal under US employment law to require citizenship for 99.9% of jobs in the US. The exception is when the US Govt. require it and that's why Kallita have been able to state this in their job advertisements.

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 15:52
Havick,

National are using us Aussies on e3's for DOD work.

Kenny,
I don't see how you can interpret that as aggressive ? Harden up princess. Lol

If you can't see how your comment was aggressive, then I suggest you seek some sort of professional help in how to talk to people without sounding like a d!ckhead. You've made more than one incoherently ignorant post on this board before, so it's not as if we haven't worked out what kind of Australian you are.

bafanguy
29th Jul 2022, 16:04
The point I was trying to make was that it's illegal under US employment law to require citizenship for 99.9% of jobs in the US. The exception is when the US Govt. require it and that's why Kallita have been able to state this in their job advertisements.

Understand...

Capn Rex Havoc
29th Jul 2022, 16:59
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny, yours was the incoherent post, which you had to expand upon. Pot-Kettle-Black. I didn't call you any names by the way, so yes, you need professional anger management help.

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 17:43
Kenny, Kenny, Kenny, yours was the incoherent post, which you had to expand upon. Pot-Kettle-Black. I didn't call you any names by the way, so yes, you need professional anger management help.

Give it a rest mate. You’re boring us. If as I suspect you’re incapable of letting it go, PM me so we can do this in private and not detract from the thread.

DropYourSocks
29th Jul 2022, 18:16
Here's the email for Kalitta recruiting. It's apparently all word of mouth and very new for them, hence no official statements yet.

[email protected]

PammyAnderson
29th Jul 2022, 21:22
Apologies if already covered. Does anyone know if Fedex hire the same as Atlas etc with E3s.

Thumb War
29th Jul 2022, 21:32
Obviously still subject to approval however it seems the takeover is happening. So how will this affect E3s? I presume that if you’re in you’ll have no issues and will soon be a JetBlue pilot. Same goes for anyone hired before the actual merge/takeover as until that point the separate companies run their own show.

Once the merge is complete things change and JetBlue (unless they have a change of direction) don’t take any more E3s, and those in move to a better contract, though upgrade times will probably blow out.

So it seems that the window may close, and perhaps it’s better to get in while you can if Spirit/JetBlue appeals. It looks like the best T&Cs available (indirectly) to E3s so far.

Any insights from those already flying the bright yellow buses?

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 21:38
Apologies if already covered. Does anyone know if Fedex hire the same as Atlas etc with E3s.

I'll be having a barbie with a friend of mine that's a 75 Captain at FedEx and is on the hiring team, tomorrow at OSH. I know they don't take E3's and they probably won't any time soon but I'll ask anyway and let you know.

Brakerider
29th Jul 2022, 21:45

you can almost guarantee the majors will never hire E3s. Obviously a lot of work goes into paperwork for E3s, and the only reason companies like Atlas are doing this - is because they are constantly spending $$$ training Americans only to have them walk out to majors (FedEx, UPS, UA, AA, DL) before they’ve even finished OE. They do not have the same supply issues and never will.

havick
29th Jul 2022, 21:58
you can almost guarantee the majors will never hire E3s. Obviously a lot of work goes into paperwork for E3s, and the only reason companies like Atlas are doing this - is because they are constantly spending $$$ training Americans only to have them walk out to majors (FedEx, UPS, UA, AA, DL) before they’ve even finished OE. They do not have the same supply issues and never will.

Where did I hear this before about Frontier and Spirit?

Kenny
29th Jul 2022, 22:45
Where did I hear this before about Frontier and Spirit?

Havick, I know we've debated this before but there's merit in what Brakerider said. At least in regard to why Atlas has jumped on the E3 bandwagon. I can't speak for the other legacy carriers but I know for a fact there is huge resistance to even the mention of E3's at UAL and ALPA won't hesitate to put the knife in, if the company brings it up. We're not at the point yet where we having trouble getting people to interview although the standards aren't necessarily as high as they were 10 years ago but that's the nature of the beast.

So while I wouldn't say never, a lot of other avenues would have to be explored before we're at a point they need the small number of extra E3's to bolster the interview ranks.

umop apisdn
29th Jul 2022, 23:44
Obviously still subject to approval however it seems the takeover is happening. So how will this affect E3s? I presume that if you’re in you’ll have no issues and will soon be a JetBlue pilot. Same goes for anyone hired before the actual merge/takeover as until that point the separate companies run their own show.

Once the merge is complete things change and JetBlue (unless they have a change of direction) don’t take any more E3s, and those in move to a better contract, though upgrade times will probably blow out.

So it seems that the window may close, and perhaps it’s better to get in while you can if Spirit/JetBlue appeals. It looks like the best T&Cs available (indirectly) to E3s so far.

Any insights from those already flying the bright yellow buses?

If your plan is coming to Spirit on an E3, I wouldn't let this merger news and E3 uncertainty scare you away. It will take a good couple of years for the actual integration of both airlines, that's all provided that the DOJ accepts the merger and that there are no furloughs for the next couple of years.

If the new jetBlue isn't interested in E3s, I would imagine that the ones currently at Spirit would be grandfathered in and renewed for as long as they wanted.

jetBlue is currently struggling with attrition just like any other non-major, and you can bet that they know about the E3 and that it is also a possibility for them. I don't think they are struggling as hard as F9 and NK with hiring at the moment because jetblue has quasi mainline vibes about it.

The days of upgrading quickly at an LCC are over for now unfortunately. I have a bit of seniority here and it's still a fair way off.

umop apisdn
29th Jul 2022, 23:48

FedEx is the pinnacle of aviation career for many Americans and probably one of the best jobs on the planet. I could maybe see Southwest at a pinch looking for E3s one day, but it will be a long time before we see them at FedEx, UPS, United, Delta or American. This would require a pilot shortage unlike any other.

Another Pilot
4th Aug 2022, 09:19
Anyone made it to Spirit?

Any idea how many did they ended up recruiting from their trip here?

tossbag
4th Aug 2022, 13:05
Obviously a lot of work goes into paperwork for E3s

Once the company has done one E3 the next 1000 are just copies with cut and pasted names. Obviously that first one will take a bit of legal work.

Anyone made it to Spirit?

Recruiting team extremely disappointed with the no shows. Doubt they'll do another roadshow. There were some CJO's offered, one of the first CJO's heading over in October for a November start.

bafanguy
4th Aug 2022, 14:28
Recruiting team extremely disappointed with the no shows. Doubt they'll do another roadshow.

tossbag,

When you say "no shows" do you mean people just didn't sign up to attend in the first place...or signed up and then failed to appear without notice to the recruiters ?

havick
4th Aug 2022, 19:33
There’s actually very little paperwork that goes into an E3 visa compared to literally every other visa out there.

Another Pilot
4th Aug 2022, 20:55
tossbag,

When you say "no shows" do you mean people just didn't sign up to attend in the first place...or signed up and then failed to appear without notice to the recruiters ?

People signed up for the roadshow/interview and failed to appear without notifying recruiters.

In my interview group… 20 were expected and only 5 showed up on the day/time.

bafanguy
4th Aug 2022, 21:35
Another Pilot,

Well, sorry to hear that. That's how you assure these airlines won't come back to headhunt at the local level where it's more convenient for you guys to get a personal shot at the job.

Another Pilot
4th Aug 2022, 22:21
Another Pilot,

Well, sorry to hear that. That's how you assure these airlines won't come back to headhunt at the local level where it's more convenient for you guys to get a personal shot at the job.

Well, in all honesty it doesn’t bother me… each to their own and must have had a valid reason for a no show. I got what I wanted to from the roadshow.

As you rightly said… now these airlines will be hesitant to come back and head hunt or to get anymore E3’s unless the situation is dire…. Just my personal opinion.

bafanguy
4th Aug 2022, 22:28
Another Pilot,

Yep...

tossbag
5th Aug 2022, 00:30

I doubt very much that they'll come back here bafanguy. And I doubt they'll recruit any more pilots from Australia. Poor behaviour.

dr dre
5th Aug 2022, 01:06
I doubt very much that they'll come back here bafanguy. And I doubt they'll recruit any more pilots from Australia. Poor behaviour.

That’s not poor behaviour my friend, it’s how free market capitalism works, the Americans seem to champion it so much so they shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s an info session and not all the people who ticked yes on an internet form showed up. It wasn’t mandatory, they weren’t employed by said company. Obviously after considering the deal a lot of pilots decided they weren’t interested to the extent they didn’t feel the need to attend the roadshow. Obviously the conditions on offer couldn’t get pilots to the roadshow.

What I do find strange is stories of pilots abandoning Australian airlines for the US, even before beginning employment, and the vibe from some here is “ha ha ha, stupid Australian airlines, it’s awesome so many are abandoning them, they’re going to have to provide better deals to keep their staff”, whereas not showing up to this Spirit (considered at the bottom rung of US airlines) info day suddenly becomes “poor form, poor behaviour” on behalf of those pilots.

These airlines aren’t providing a charity and the pilots aren’t volunteering their time. This is a business transaction, plain and simple. No Australian pilot owes any US airline a single thing. I’m sure if the tables were turned these US carriers would drop them like a hot stone, circa 2000-2010. They want Australian pilots to work for them, they need to provide a better deal. It’s incumbent on them not pilots who didn’t turn up to a roadshow.

Or maybe it shows this notion that every second pilot in Australia, even major airline Captains, are desperate to flock to America is a bit of a furphy.

umop apisdn
5th Aug 2022, 01:43
That’s not poor behaviour my friend, it’s how free market capitalism works, the Americans seem to champion it so much so they shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s an info session and not all the people who ticked yes on an internet form showed up. It wasn’t mandatory, they weren’t employed by said company. Obviously after considering the deal a lot of pilots decided they weren’t interested to the extent they didn’t feel the need to attend the roadshow. Obviously the conditions on offer couldn’t get pilots to the roadshow.

What I do find strange is stories of pilots abandoning Australian airlines for the US, even before beginning employment, and the vibe from some here is “ha ha ha, stupid Australian airlines, it’s awesome so many are abandoning them, they’re going to have to provide better deals to keep their staff”, whereas not showing up to this Spirit (considered at the bottom rung of US airlines) info day suddenly becomes “poor form, poor behaviour” on behalf of those pilots.

These airlines aren’t providing a charity and the pilots aren’t volunteering their time. This is a business transaction, plain and simple. No Australian pilot owes any US airline a single thing. I’m sure if the tables were turned these US carriers would drop them like a hot stone, circa 2000-2010. They want Australian pilots to work for them, they need to provide a better deal. It’s incumbent on them not pilots who didn’t turn up to a roadshow.

Or maybe it shows this notion that every second pilot in Australia, even major airline Captains, are desperate to flock to America is a bit of a furphy.

Mostly agree. I work for Spirit. Australians can go to PSA, Piedmont and (maybe??) Envoy and make a lot more money right out of the gate with immediate upgrade potential after 1000 hours. Spirit is doing nothing to match that at the moment. Even in second year with the premium pay and bonuses and captain pay match on offer I still don't think it's worthwhile in the eyes of a new hire. If you're looking at a 10 year horizon I could probably argue that Spirit offers more as you have a pretty low chance to flow on an E3, but for a quick buck, some fast jet PIC and an adventure with AA bennies? They got nothing.

Honestly, the more no shows the better, then we get out of bottom feeder status.

ZebraFlyer
5th Aug 2022, 01:57
People signed up for the roadshow/interview and failed to appear without notifying recruiters.

In my interview group… 20 were expected and only 5 showed up on the day/time.

For what it's worth I think the issue might have been how it was sold. I and a couple of colleagues thought it was a roadshow/meet and greet but they actually wanted me to put in a full on application, which I explained I was not ready to do just yet. Confident I didn't burn any bridges as I notified them, they were understanding.
Atlas was more a "come see our presentation, bring your resume along and we can have a chat if you like" and they had 40 ish in each session thus far and I saw them midway through the sessions..

Another Pilot
5th Aug 2022, 01:59

Dr Dre

What you are saying is right but what’s been discussed here is the lack of basic courtesy of not letting your recruiter know that you will not be attending the interview. As I said before that everyone may have a valid reason for not attending.

most of those pilots knew what to expect (in terms of deal) before they registered their interest for in person interview. How many people will just be a no show to a QF or VA or Rex interviews for that matter.

From the stories I have heard and discussed here aswell… Pilots are not abandoning Australian airlines… they are abandoning toxic work culture and conditions they are forced to work under… especially by certain someone who threatens to fire people if they try to negotiate the offer on the table!

Rogerwood
5th Aug 2022, 02:13
Dr Dre

What you are saying is right but what’s been discussed here is the lack of basic courtesy of not letting your recruiter know that you will not be attending the interview. As I said before that everyone may have a valid reason for not attending.

most of those pilots knew what to expect (in terms of deal) before they registered their interest for in person interview. How many people will just be a no show to a QF or VA or Rex interviews for that matter.

From the stories I have heard and discussed here aswell… Pilots are not abandoning Australian airlines… they are abandoning toxic work culture and conditions they are forced to work under… especially by certain someone who threatens to fire people if they try to negotiate the offer on the table!

Well they go hand in hand. Long upgrades, toxic management, medicals, CASA, expensive etc. It’s not just aviation but it’s worse in aviation.

non_state_actor
5th Aug 2022, 02:41
Interview with David Neeleman about Breeze. Discussion about the US Industry Pilot Shortage starts at 15 mins

https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/whats-your-problem/the-trick-to-flying-cheap#play

Another Pilot
5th Aug 2022, 03:05
Mostly agree. I work for Spirit. Australians can go to PSA, Piedmont and (maybe??) Envoy and make a lot more money right out of the gate with immediate upgrade potential after 1000 hours. Spirit is doing nothing to match that at the moment. Even in second year with the premium pay and bonuses and captain pay match on offer I still don't think it's worthwhile in the eyes of a new hire. If you're looking at a 10 year horizon I could probably argue that Spirit offers more as you have a pretty low chance to flow on an E3, but for a quick buck, some fast jet PIC and an adventure with AA bennies? They got nothing.

Honestly, the more no shows the better, then we get out of bottom feeder status.

Sent you a PM

tossbag
5th Aug 2022, 05:51
That’s not poor behaviour my friend, it’s how free market capitalism works

The poor behaviour........my friend..........is making an appointment to see them and not showing up, without letting them know you are not coming. Spirit were interviewing on the day. CJO's were offered a few days later to those they wanted.

dr dre
5th Aug 2022, 06:19
The poor behaviour........my friend..........is making an appointment to see them and not showing up, without letting them know you are not coming. Spirit were interviewing on the day. CJO's were offered a few days later to those they wanted.

So it wasn’t just a roadshow, these were confirmed job interviews for employment then? A real job interview is one where you prepare as best as possible because you know only a fraction of those being interviewed will be employed.

Still doesn’t change my original point, if people don’t bother to show up to an interview the first thing one should think isn’t “poor behaviour by those pilots”, it’s “how unattractive is our offer if those who said they’d be at the roadshow don’t bother to show up”. Because most pilots aren’t lazy or rude, they just know a better deal when they see it.

And at worst what will be the outcome? They get blacklisted and never get to work at Spirit? I’m sure they’re in tears over that……

megle2
5th Aug 2022, 06:47
I’m with Tossbag, probably do the same with dining reservations

tossbag
5th Aug 2022, 10:27
A real job interview is one where you prepare as best as possible because you know only a fraction of those being interviewed will be employed.

O...M...G.....tell me you're an Australian pilot without telling me you're an Australian pilot. :yuk:

bafanguy
5th Aug 2022, 11:10
Did those who signed up for the Spirit event know what terms & conditions Spirit was offering before they signed up ? If they decided not to go because of inadequate offerings, why did they sign up in the first place ?

True enough, the no-show is not the end of the world but it'll likely end Spirit's efforts to facilitate things for E3s by having a face-to-face event Down There...which is always better than the distance method.

If Spirit had set up these events and few, if any, people signed up then as dr dre said, the market would have spoken and that'd be Spirit's mistake to have offered the meetings.

And filling out an application before attending such a meet & greet is pretty standard from what I hear people talking about...and meet & greets are pretty common here and considered an important step in the process.

But there are paths available to Spirit absent the face-to-face Down There so the job will still be available from the sound of it.

tossbag
5th Aug 2022, 12:23
I've known what Spirit are offering for some time. I pretty much know what American pilots do when they're looking at which companies they want to work for, they do research.

US airline jobs are FIFO, Fit In or F@ck Off, I like that. But apparently Australian pilots have to be feted, told how good they are and woo'ed.

DropYourSocks
5th Aug 2022, 17:25
This is for all you new guys. If you tell a US carrier you'll be somewhere, and fail to honour your word, you are what's wrong with Australian pilots. The "I'm OK Jack" attitude really makes us all look bad, and tarnishes the effort most of us have made to build a good reputation here. If you're not interested in Spirit or whoever, that's cool, just act like a professional about it. Believe it or not, there are other Aussie pilots who may one-day like the opportunity to work at Spirit, Atlas, Frontier, or a regional, and would appreciate not having to overcome the oztranaut stigma.

To those that are here and working hard, thank you for the efforts you make to make all Aussies look good. I'd wager the next generation of folks slogging it out in GA who will soon come here for their jet time will appreciate your efforts.

bafanguy
5th Aug 2022, 19:53
I've known what Spirit are offering for some time. I pretty much know what American pilots do when they're looking at which companies they want to work for, they do research.

tossbag,

I wasn't directing any comments toward you or anything you did. I was just opining about the application process.

tossbag
5th Aug 2022, 22:07
Hey bafanguy, all good, I wasn't directing that comment at you!

Rogerwood
6th Aug 2022, 01:16
Did those who signed up for the Spirit event know what terms & conditions Spirit was offering before they signed up ? If they decided not to go because of inadequate offerings, why did they sign up in the first place ?

True enough, the no-show is not the end of the world but it'll likely end Spirit's efforts to facilitate things for E3s by having a face-to-face event Down There...which is always better than the distance method.

If Spirit had set up these events and few, if any, people signed up then as dr dre said, the market would have spoken and that'd be Spirit's mistake to have offered the meetings.

And filling out an application before attending such a meet & greet is pretty standard from what I hear people talking about...and meet & greets are pretty common here and considered an important step in the process.

But there are paths available to Spirit absent the face-to-face Down There so the job will still be available from the sound of it.

Can we clear up that the Spirit event was a job interview, not road show. Those who turned up were invited and have put in applications and been accepted on merit. People should know the conditions prior to going as they held 2 video chats. If I was Spirit I wouldn’t be taking any of the no shows in the future. Maybe a BN2 on Horn is more tempting?

TimmyTee
6th Aug 2022, 01:45
To be fair to those who assumed it was a roadshow, this was the digital flyer that was sent around:
Australia's no.1 interview-whisperer said it was a roadshow and their own post really didn't read like it was a hiring event..
And what exactly is the difference between an interview event and a roadshow? Perhaps the hardsell/pressure to sign?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/607x1024/img_20220618_wa0000_1__447cbe704143f52275f123f41a09ba9d713a2 a13.jpg

Rogerwood
6th Aug 2022, 01:54
To be fair to those who assumed it was a roadshow, this was the digital flyer that was sent around:
Australia's no.1 interview-whisperer said it was a roadshow and their own post really didn't read like it was a hiring event..
And what exactly is the difference between an interview event and a roadshow? Perhaps the hardsell/pressure to sign?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/607x1024/img_20220618_wa0000_1__447cbe704143f52275f123f41a09ba9d713a2 a13.jpg

Well where I was only people who were invited to interview for a job offer. No presentations or slides etc. Maybe being called a roadshow doesn’t mean any of that. It was a hiring event. Maybe the guy who turned up for his interview in jeans and a t shirt may have gotten the wrong flyer.

TimmyTee
6th Aug 2022, 02:28
Are Spirit in a position to turn down a keen pilot who mistakenly wore a t shirt and jeans?

Rogerwood
6th Aug 2022, 02:31
Are Spirit in a position to turn down a keen pilot who mistakenly wore a t shirt and jeans?

That reply says more about you than the guy with jeans on. I take it you’re a QF Captain? How do you mistakenly wear jeans to a job interview?

TimmyTee
6th Aug 2022, 04:37
That reply says more about you than the guy with jeans on. I take it you’re a QF Captain? How do you mistakenly wear jeans to a job interview?

Well, believing it is a roadshow for one

Rogerwood
6th Aug 2022, 04:52
Well, believing it is a roadshow for one

Ok. So even then you would wear jeans to meet a potential employer? I’ll say it again, you had to put in an application, receive an email with your requested date out of 2, then you were given a date and time and place to go, told to bring resumes and log books and advised that if successful could be offered a job.

Didnt see any of that on the flyer? I’m sorry but it sounds like only you and Just Jeans man thought this was an open roadshow? And how did you know where to turn up to this roadshow? Oh yes, you read the email sent to you stating it’s an interview for a job.

TimmyTee
6th Aug 2022, 05:17
Mate, I didn't wear jeans to the interview because I wasn't there, simply sharing a screenshot I received from half my av mates.. - looks like a terrible gig given what's on the market

bafanguy
6th Aug 2022, 12:01
Just as a bit of info to our E3 compatriots: any time (and under any circumstances) you get near US flt ops management and/or airline recruiters who are in the headhunting mode...it's an interview regardless of what it might be called in the literature !! And should be treated as such because you are being scrutinized, evaluated and judged on those aspects beyond the CV.

If coming here doesn't suit one's circumstances (and it won't for many), then feel free to pass up the event.

I feel no obligation to defend Spirit, but it's far from the worst job one can get Up Here. But if better is available elsewhere you should certainly take it.

Good luck to those who take a shot at Spirit. You can always treat it like a regional: a steppingstone.

DropYourSocks
6th Aug 2022, 15:43
Just as a bit of info to our E3 compatriots: any time (and under any circumstances) you get near US flt ops management and/or airline recruiters who are in the headhunting mode...it's an interview regardless of what it might be called in the literature !! And should be treated as such because you are being scrutinized, evaluated and judged on those aspects beyond the CV.

If coming here doesn't suit one's circumstances (and it won't for many), then feel free to pass up the event.

I feel no obligation to defend Spirit, but it's far from the worst job one can get Up Here. But if better is available elsewhere you should certainly take it.

Good luck to those who take a shot at Spirit. You can always treat it like a regional: a steppingstone.

Couldn't agree more. It's true that your first 3 months pay wise at Spirit will be garbage, then mediocre for the rest of your first year. Also with the JB merger, commands are probably about to blow out too. But, after all that, you get a free faa atp, arguably the most valuable type rating in the world, and significantly more operational support than you'd get at a regional.

Also, while Spirit may not have the same quick upgrades and better pay initially as some regionals, it's a much better place to be if this recession sets in. 2nd year pay you're looking at $120k, and 3rd year $150k, plus 401k and all the rest. If I was coming over from Aus now and Spirit was on offer, it'd be foolish to pass it up.

umop apisdn
6th Aug 2022, 18:56
Couldn't agree more. It's true that your first 3 months pay wise at Spirit will be garbage, then mediocre for the rest of your first year. Also with the JB merger, commands are probably about to blow out too. But, after all that, you get a free faa atp, arguably the most valuable type rating in the world, and significantly more operational support than you'd get at a regional.

Also, while Spirit may not have the same quick upgrades and better pay initially as some regionals, it's a much better place to be if this recession sets in. 2nd year pay you're looking at $120k, and 3rd year $150k, plus 401k and all the rest. If I was coming over from Aus now and Spirit was on offer, it'd be foolish to pass it up.

FAA ATP isn't free at Spirit. You need to pay for your CTP which is a requisite to the written exam which is required for the ATP. They say "Free ATP" but it's a bit of a farce considering it's just a box to tick on the type ride form.

bafanguy
6th Aug 2022, 21:06
Just as a curiosity, does anyone know the general qualifications of those who got CJOs from Spirit. For example, were they people with air carrier experience, corporate only, GA only or a mix ?

Probably hard to get an accurate Big Picture but it'd be informative if someone who had knowledge of that could comment.

Wizofoz
6th Aug 2022, 21:28
Just as a curiosity, does anyone know the general qualifications of those who got CJOs from Spirit. For example, were they people with air carrier experience, corporate only, GA only or a mix ?

Probably hard to get an accurate Big Picture but it'd be informative if someone who had knowledge of that could comment.
Being Australia it would probably be pretty much 100% GA or regional airline guys. Our corporate sector is tiny by comparision and not many people with an RPT gig would be leaving to fly with Spirit.

tossbag
7th Aug 2022, 07:26
bafanguy, a good mate got a CJO, CFII MEI, about 3000 TT, no 121 or 135 time and no degree. But he's not a d!ckhead, wore a suit to the interview and is courteous and polite.

Dirty moe
7th Aug 2022, 08:04
G'day folks,

I have recently had an interview with a regional airline which seemed to go well. I am a little worried about the E3 visa as that will be my biggest hurdle. I am aware of the requirements (I don't have a degree) and that people have gone overseas to acquire the visas. Any tips on where I should go and how long it would take? I am tempted to resign from my remote GA gig however I am worried that I may not successfully acquire the E3 visa to be able to take the regional position.

phlegm
7th Aug 2022, 10:59
looks like a terrible gig given what's on the market
Genuinely curious, what makes you say this? Spirit is on my list of potentials for when I've got the experience for it, just wondering what drawbacks you see with them or what better options are out there.

tossbag
7th Aug 2022, 11:18
Don't listen to him mate, the training pay is average (2 to 3 months) and the first year pay is low but liveable (it is at every airline, even the highest paid airlines have low first year pay) but the pay and prospects are very good at Spirit and the QOL is amongst the better airlines.

havoste
7th Aug 2022, 17:58
Spirit past Year 1 and off reserve has one of the best QOL vs pay contracts an Aussie could get back home and around the world, even amongst legacies.

Rogerwood
7th Aug 2022, 20:39
Mate if you’re young, can handle being away from home and have no commitments etc why wouldn’t you? If this is one of your first major gigs well it beats going up north for a twin job. Don’t listen to the other guys who constantly put it down. For the small amount of upfront costs ie ATP and MCC course, the type ratings are paid. Try getting that in oz. Live with a flat mate first year and do as much OT as you can. The money will come in the 2nd and 3rd years.

Geeham
8th Aug 2022, 00:50
G'day folks,

I have recently had an interview with a regional airline which seemed to go well. I am a little worried about the E3 visa as that will be my biggest hurdle. I am aware of the requirements (I don't have a degree) and that people have gone overseas to acquire the visas. Any tips on where I should go and how long it would take? I am tempted to resign from my remote GA gig however I am worried that I may not successfully acquire the E3 visa to be able to take the regional position.

The E3 requires 12 years of aviation experience, not including training or gaps between jobs, if you don’t have a degree.

cxflog
8th Aug 2022, 03:36
G'day folks,

I have quite a few good mates who have gone through the process successfully without having degrees and not having 12 years experience either with no issues. There has been a stigma in recent times about the Sydney consulate being harsh however I’ve heard nothing but good things since they reopened recently. Worth a shot!

phlegm
8th Aug 2022, 07:21
Mate if you’re young, can handle being away from home and have no commitments etc why wouldn’t you? If this is one of your first major gigs well it beats going up north for a twin job. Don’t listen to the other guys who constantly put it down. For the small amount of upfront costs ie ATP and MCC course, the type ratings are paid. Try getting that in oz. Live with a flat mate first year and do as much OT as you can. The money will come in the 2nd and 3rd years.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought too. This is all way out anyway, I haven't even finished my CPL yet (nearly though!). The plan is to head somewhere rural to grind out my hours then get apps in in at all the US regionals as soon as I hit 1500.

Another Pilot
17th Aug 2022, 09:05
Anyone started classes with Spirit or Frontier?

Bluesideup2022
23rd Aug 2022, 01:31
HAS anyone else got a start date like me with PSA? Would be good to swap notes etc of what is what.
And does anyone know where to get a hold of a CRJ 700/900 Manual or CBT Program?

ResumeOwnNav
9th Sep 2022, 05:41
HAS anyone else got a start date like me with PSA? Would be good to swap notes etc of what is what.
And does anyone know where to get a hold of a CRJ 700/900 Manual or CBT Program?

YouTube has some good CBT system presentations that people have uploaded. I looked at them for certain systems when I did my type.

bafanguy
9th Sep 2022, 08:58
Not sure if this Kalitta Air info has been posted previously. Still doesn't say if they'll assist in getting the FAA ATP from scratch:

"Legal to work in the U.S. (we are now sponsoring the E-3 visa as well)"

Pilot Recruitment ? Kalitta Air LLC (http://www.kalittaair.com/pilot-recruitment)

umop apisdn
13th Sep 2022, 18:24
For anyone in the US already, how hard are you working at getting back home?

I realize that aviation here is way better in almost every way, and that legacy employment blows away QF and JQ pretty substantially, but I'm still really struggling with the idea of living here forever, even though that is my future as of this moment.

Has anyone made a play at QF or JQ?

Would it be worth it to leave a legacy and take the huge pay cut with it, if it meant that you didn't have to deal with all the BS that the USA presents on a daily basis?

havick
13th Sep 2022, 18:44

I realize that aviation here is way better in almost every way, and that legacy employment blows away QF and JQ pretty substantially, but I'm still really struggling with the idea of living here forever, even though that is my future as of this moment.

Would it be worth it to leave a legacy and take the huge pay cut with it, if it meant that you didn't have to deal with all the BS that the USA presents on a daily basis?

Honestly thy sounds more like a personal problem. Lots of us in the US loving it here.

That being said there are a few that have headed back home without issue, and probably bypassed 10 years of BS in Australia by doing 2-3 years in the US that’s are quite happy with there love back home for personal reasons.

Upupandawayy
13th Sep 2022, 22:28

know a few guys in the US that got turned down by QF recently.

DUXNUTZ
14th Sep 2022, 09:53

Just going through security every day in Oz would do my head in.

Australopithecus
14th Sep 2022, 12:07
QF and JQ are not exactly a BS free zone either.

ZebraFlyer
14th Sep 2022, 14:35

As someone very very very close to permanently going the opposite direction from one of the airlines you are considering making a play at.. maybe the BS is just everywhere?

Make the most of it while you can. Do a pros and cons list. Think long term about your goals. Where do you want to be/want to be flying/how much want to be making etc etc. Consider in years terms how much USA BS you are willing to put up with and for how long to get ahead. e.g., "If I do 10 years there I am financially in the same place as 20 years here after."

Also if you're able, make sure you've saved enough to buy or have a hefty deposit on a joint you actually want to live in in Australia - you'll probably struggle to buy somewhere half decent in one of the cities for a long long time after returning.

Global Aviator
14th Sep 2022, 22:36
Just going through security every day in Oz would do my head in.

Have you travelled around the US recently?

Tinstaafl
15th Sep 2022, 00:32
Crewmembers with participating airlines in the US get to bypass the usual TSA screening at airports with Known Crew Member access, unless you get the short straw for a random baggage x-ray screening. Even then we go to the front of the queue. We also go to the front at non-KCM airports. KCM & screening priority takes a lot of the sting out of the process.

Icarus2001
15th Sep 2022, 00:34
Adelaide airport has the right idea with a dedicated crew entry screening area downstairs. The rest of the country is “still developing” and is known as “mostly harmless”, with apologies to Douglas Adams.

Kenny
15th Sep 2022, 16:25

Not in a million years. I started in the US, went to VA and then went back to the US for a legacy gig. Financially, it was the smartest decision I’ve made in my 23 year career. I won’t quote figures because invariably, its seen as being a d!ck waving exercise rather than being informative but as a 777FO I out earn a VA Captain by quite a significant amount. If I wanted to grab a command on the 73, the difference would be astronomical. Also, my 401k (Think Super), will be about 3 times what it would have been in Oz.

Of course I have to deal with two kids that have Yank accents and the odd trumper but there’s stupid people the world over.

Rogerwood
15th Sep 2022, 20:00
Not in a million years. I started in the US, went to VA and then went back to the US for a legacy gig. Financially, it was the smartest decision I’ve made in my 23 year career. I won’t quote figures because invariably, its seen as being a d!ck waving exercise rather than being informative but as a 777FO I out earn a VA Captain by quite a significant amount. If I wanted to grab a command on the 73, the difference would be astronomical. Also, my 401k (Think Super), will be about 3 times what it would have been in Oz.

Of course I have to deal with two kids that have Yank accents and the odd trumper but there’s stupid people the world over.

Mate I suppose you go with the theory that were all domestic terrorists? What’s wrong with being a Trump supporter? You are actually saying that Biden is doing a good job? Sorry for the thread drift but you just offended 150 million people. I think stay im the USA and enjoy the current political environment. To many woke lefties here in OZ causing this country’s aviation problems.

Gnadenburg
15th Sep 2022, 20:13
Good for you Kenny. However please don’t be shy of explaining how your package translates in comparison to what’s on offer back home. It’s not dick waving. It’s important. Young Aussie pilots would seem to not only have an amazing opportunity broadening their professional opportunities in the US, but also securing considerable financial security. I did twenty years abroad and it was about 3-1 financial advantage to a domestic airline career back home- and that wasn’t a Virgin career, it was either QF or Ansett. I get the Aussies ties for many, but the choice seems mortgage slavery in Oz, or a better rewarded US expat adventure that could always finish back home.

Quite jealous. Are their any lifestyle jobs in the US? Not so pay focussed but prefer the time off. That may extract more Australian pilots. More the near retirement demographic.

Australopithecus
15th Sep 2022, 21:43
Mate I suppose you go with the theory that were all domestic terrorists? What’s wrong with being a Trump supporter? You are actually saying that Biden is doing a good job? Sorry for the thread drift but you just offended 150 million people. I think stay im the USA and enjoy the current political environment. To many woke lefties here in OZ causing this country’s aviation problems.

150 million people? What? Including 100 million in Russia? Explaining reality to a maga/fox news/Q anon drone is like explaining quantum mechanics to a pig.

Gunner747400
15th Sep 2022, 23:58
To many woke lefties here in OZ causing this country’s aviation problems.
Yes, because the woke leftist, staunch communists are really running the place aren't they. The trade unions are at their strongest they have ever been and conditions for the working pilot are at an all time high! /s

Just another example of someone with no idea of the political spectrum spitting chips because they watched Paul Murray live last night.

Icarus2001
16th Sep 2022, 00:01
Yes, because the woke leftist, staunch communists are really running the place aren't they. They are TRYING to.

When people are being arrested in their home for using the wrong pronoun, something is wrong. Look it up.

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 01:26
They are TRYING to.

When people are being arrested in their home for using the wrong pronoun, something is wrong. Look it up.

I don’t have to watch Paul Murray to see inflation, crime, fue costs, university and school agendas, climate rubbish etc etc. The leftists agendas worldwide are bringing down any resemblance of normalcy. QF is a prime example of this in aviation alone.

Gunner747400
16th Sep 2022, 01:29
I don’t have to watch Paul Murray to see inflation, crime, fue costs, university and school agendas, climate rubbish etc etc. The leftists agendas worldwide are bringing down any resemblance of normalcy. QF is a prime example of this in aviation alone.
Hahaha, yes rising fuel costs and inflation are directly related to 'woke' politics.

I've heard it all now. Can always rely on PPrune for a morning laugh.

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 01:34
Hahaha, yes rising fuel costs and inflation are directly related to 'woke' politics.

I've heard it all now. Can always rely on PPrune for a morning laugh.

Its leftist woke politicians that close oil and gas projects, ask for 3 trillion dollars for socialist agendas when you’re already trillions of dollars in the red. These what cause high fuel costs and inflation. But as a lefty you clearly own Krusty the Clowns calculator? The one that’s missing the 7 and 0. You’re hero Biden sitting in a petrol car stating how good electric cars are over the weekend is what gives me a good morning laugh

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 01:42
Its leftist woke politicians that close oil and gas projects, ask for 3 trillion dollars for socialist agendas when you’re already trillions of dollars in the red. These what cause high fuel costs and inflation. But as a lefty you clearly own Krusty the Clowns calculator? The one that’s missing the 7 and 0. You’re hero Biden sitting in a petrol car stating how good electric cars are over the weekend is what gives me a good morning laugh

Im assuming Gunner that your slow response to this is because you’re looking up on Google what actually leads to inflation and high fuel costs?

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 02:01
Victoria are banning any further exploration or development of natural oil & gas resources in the middle of a energy crisis. That's woke politics writ large right there.

Amen Nev. But don’t try and point this out to a lefty.

dr dre
16th Sep 2022, 04:06
Why is every thread on this forum devolving into a political rant? “Climate hoax”, “pronouns”, “vaccines”, whatever it is if you want to have a sook about stuff like that go to Jet Blast or the Sky “News” Facebook page.

Icarus2001
16th Sep 2022, 04:08
Secondly, anyone who is moronically stupid enough to believe that petrol prices and inflation are caused by the Whitehouse obviously spends too much time in a Fox News bubble. Crude and therefore petrol is a commodity that is speculated on by people who simply want to make money.

Did the US increase or decrease domestic oil production?

Did the US government encourage or discourage oil and gas exploration?

What effect did these decisions have on the crude oil price?

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 04:45
Did the US increase or decrease domestic oil production?

Did the US government encourage or discourage oil and gas exploration?

What effect did these decisions have on the crude oil price?

Dont quote facts and truth and logic. They don’t like being told that. Just quietly agree. If they honestly believe that the Biden WH has nothing to do with the increase of oil prices and inflation than let them have it. You can’t argue or change a lefty.

cxflog
16th Sep 2022, 05:22
I can always count on this forum to get a great laugh with my morning coffee.

How about we get back on topic and stop touching tips with the rednecks?

Rogerwood
16th Sep 2022, 05:24
I can always count on this forum to get a great laugh with my morning coffee.

How about we get back on topic and stop touching tips with the rednecks?

I agree, always up for a coffee with the woke commies

Bellthorpe
16th Sep 2022, 05:45
The 'woke commies' ?

Ohmygawd, you've actually turned into a USAian. Only in the USA do people describe things they don't like as communism. Thus demonstrating that they have absolutely no idea what communism actually is.

DUXNUTZ
16th Sep 2022, 12:02
Have you travelled around the US recently?

Ah yeah, occasionally. I use a wonderful thing called Known Crew Member. I also am treated professionally and respectfulfully on my many trips to Asia every month. The stickler is the odd trip through SYD international where it’s always a PITA.

WannaBeBiggles
16th Sep 2022, 23:15
It's the commie left they screamed.... https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-oil-trump-saudi-specialreport/special-report-trump-told-saudi-cut-oil-supply-or-lose-u-s-military-support-sources-idUSKBN22C1V4

umop apisdn
16th Sep 2022, 23:36
Thanks for the (relevant) replied guys. I just go in waves of missing home. The good thing is my new employer will have a direct connection to the east coast which will make things a bit nicer.

Rogerwood. As a foreigner here, one of the things that has really slapped me in the face, and one of the biggest BS factors I refer to, is the political polarization and treating hatred as a sport. It's absolutely nauseating no matter what side it comes from. It's pretty sad to see people buying into it.

Gnadenburg
17th Sep 2022, 00:42
Probably the greatest ever international recruitment drive for Australian pilots and the thread has been hijacked by Oztronauts and their new found socio-political expertise. Can it be taken to Jetblast? It’s boring and we all know the issues because American culture is willingly rammed down the throats of dreary Australians.

American recruitment of Australian pilots will affect all here in some way . And hopefully when Asia picks up, more Australians find lucrative work abroad if it so suits.

Ladloy
17th Sep 2022, 07:46
If Biden is left wing I'll cut off my left nut.

squat6160
19th Sep 2022, 09:33
Does anybody know where in Sydney and Brisbane I can get an FAA medical done.

Climb150
19th Sep 2022, 11:58
CPL - Sydney Aviation Medical Centre (http://www.samcen.com.au/cpl.html)

Tinstaafl
19th Sep 2022, 16:38
Anyone with PSA specific, or even general questions, is welcome to phone me. I'm an expat capt at PSA. US east coast civilised hours please. Can't promise I'll be able to answer when I'm at work. You can pm me for my ph no.

neville_nobody
21st Sep 2022, 13:04
https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/faa-regs/faa-denies-republic-airways-1500-hour-exemption-petition/

The FAA has denied a Republic Airways petition for an exemption from regulations requiring pilots applying for an airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate to have logged 1,500 flight hours. In the petition, the airline asked that graduates from its Leadership in Flight Training Academy (LIFT) be allowed to apply for a restricted airline transport pilot (R-ATP) certificate—allowing them to serve as first officer in Part 121 operations—with the same reduced experience requirements as military or former military pilots, who may apply for an R-ATP with 750 hours total flight time. Republic argued that its proposed R-ATP Program would “exceed the safety standards of the military R-ATP” as well as making “airline pilot career opportunities more accessible for qualified individuals from underrepresented groups.”
“After full consideration of Republic’s petition for exemption and the public comments, the FAA has determined that the relief requested is not in the public interest and would adversely affect safety,” the agency stated in its decision. “The FAA finds that the supporting materials and LIFT historical data does not sufficiently support Republic’s claim that the Republic R-ATP Program is sufficiently comparable to the training program of a military branch to warrant a reduction in flight hours.”

Republic also argued in its petition, which was filed last April (https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/republic-seeks-1500-hour-rule-exemption), that its proposed program would provide a service to the public by producing more pilots to satisfy “continuing commercial aviation demand,” including benefiting “small communities who rely on commercial aviation services.” The FAA disagreed that granting the exemption would address any pilot shortages, noting that “the exemption process is not the avenue to address the hiring difficulties of an operator that may result in service cuts to particular areas.” The “1,500-hour rule” was adopted by the FAA at the direction of Congress following the 2009 crash of a Colgan Air Flight 3407.

SITTINGBULL
21st Sep 2022, 21:53
https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/faa-regs/faa-denies-republic-airways-1500-hour-exemption-petition/

Oath, airline management across the country can ball that idea up and shove it right up their keisters

Instructortype
28th Sep 2022, 01:23
Apologies if this has already been asked. Anyone know of any e3 pilots who have gone to the states with the 75hrs night with the 45 full stop landings crediting the remaining 25hrs to make up the 100.
Currently building night hours and would like to know if anyone has been able to crack into one of the e3 airlines with the lower hour requirement…

Climb150
28th Sep 2022, 10:27
Apologies if this has already been asked. Anyone know of any e3 pilots who have gone to the states with the 75hrs night with the 45 full stop landings crediting the remaining 25hrs to make up the 100.
Currently building night hours and would like to know if anyone has been able to crack into one of the e3 airlines with the lower hour requirement…

Whatever airline you are applying too will have a person do a log book check (well my US airline did) to see if you have the ATP mins. Ask HR to get confirmation from whoever does the check before you come over.

havick
28th Sep 2022, 13:43

honestly just make it easy on yourself and fly the extra 25 hours.

‘Most’ HR types will bypass your app unless you meet the mins unless someone is using R-ATP mins, it’ll be outside what is cookie cutter for them.

abaderrr
28th Sep 2022, 16:42

Do it stateside if possible. $100 and as straightforward as can be.

umop apisdn
28th Sep 2022, 18:07
I used landing credits towards night hours just fine.

havick
28th Sep 2022, 18:39
I used landing credits towards night hours just fine.

That’s great to know. I guess HR in the US have matured a little more since 2016 regarding E3’s coming over.

Thanks for clarifying.

Dookie on Drums
29th Sep 2022, 05:55

Dr. Robin Mitchell at Eastgardens Medical Centre did mine whilst doing my Class 1 CASA medical. It got printed out on the spot. He's a no fuss great guy.

chazwazza14
19th Oct 2022, 04:06
Does anyone know if previous travel to North Korea generates any issues for the E3 Visa? It makes me ineligible for an ESTA, and I’m struggling with appointments for a standard B2 Visitor Visa, so haven’t been able to test that side of it.

Climb150
19th Oct 2022, 06:08
Does anyone know if previous travel to North Korea generates any issues for the E3 Visa? It makes me ineligible for an ESTA, and I’m struggling with appointments for a standard B2 Visitor Visa, so haven’t been able to test that side of it.

Why do you need a B2 if you plan to get an E3?

chazwazza14
19th Oct 2022, 08:20
Obviously wouldn’t. But I’m getting a B2 for an up coming holiday and curious if anyone has been through the process of an E3 in the same situation as I’m looking at jobs in the US as well. But if it would potentially present issues, I’d like to know in advance.

Ollie Onion
19th Oct 2022, 09:35

How did you end up in North Korea?

Capt Fathom
19th Oct 2022, 10:19
How did you end up in North Korea?

Funny. That’s what the U.S. Customs and Border Protection are asking! :E

umop apisdn
19th Oct 2022, 14:46

I know a guy who went to North Korea and got an E3 flying here. He didn't mention any undue delays.

havick
23rd Oct 2022, 14:31
Australians can now work for Southwest. Hiring E3's.

Got a link or screenshot? For all the naysayers that said E3’s will never get hired by a major in the US.

bafanguy
23rd Oct 2022, 15:43
Yep, gotta see that one in writing.

GA F15
23rd Oct 2022, 18:23
Hi all, sorry for the potential thread drift but I’m hoping someone can help regarding E3 visa’s.

I’m currently flying the 737 in the U.K. on a U.K. ATPL. However, I also hold an Australian CPL (No ATPL subjects) and Australian passport.

Would the Australian passport allow me to apply for the E3 scheme, or is it dependant on having an Australian frozen ATPL?

Many thanks.

bafanguy
23rd Oct 2022, 19:01
GA F15,

I think it sorta depends on which carrier you're talking about. I'd assume you are an Australian citizen since you hold their passport ? E3s are only for Aussie citizens.

There were some regionals that'd take an Aussie right off the boat with no FAA license: PSA, GOJET COMMUTAIR (maybe PDT too ?) take E3s...or used to. I haven't checked lately to see if they still do.

Not sure how the ACMI carriers like Atlas, Kalitta, etc. handle that but it's worth your checking if you're determined to come here. Aussies have gone to some ACMIs.