PDA

View Full Version : Crossing Shark Infested Custard

sharpend
23rd Jun 2014, 10:00
Hi Guys, a question for the more experienced.

Later this year I'm off in my Bulldog to tour Scotland. I am very experienced, but am rather used to flying in controlled airspace in a big jet. I do have an IR and my Bulldog has an excellent IR fit with twin VOR, twin Sat Nav etc.

On the first leg I need to transit Turweston to Carlisle. I would prefer to stay fairly low (mainly for the view), but need to safety transit Manchester/Liverpool CTZ. I am aware of the high ground to the east and am not overly keen on flying over water for any distance. I need also to have a bad weather plan. I gather the Manchester VFR corridor is busy. I also need to keep the plan simple.

Comments?

Dan the weegie
23rd Jun 2014, 11:05
Fly down the corridor and look out :) you'll get traffic information from Manchester if they have time.

Or go up the East coast, and forget about Carlisle :) it wont add much time to your flight and it's a much easier flight for flying VFR. Stop at Breighton, then at Perth or Fife.

piperboy84
23rd Jun 2014, 11:12
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/538670-uk-xc-flight-plannig-realistic-expectations.html

This may be some help

mfalcon
23rd Jun 2014, 11:15
I fly a Bulldog based at Prestwick, and have been to Sywell twice, and Breighton a number of times. Weather does play a big factor in the routes - both times heading down to Sywell we had to fly from Carlisle over to the East coast before heading South, but did once manage to come up via the Manchester low level corridor (popping into Barton for some fuel) and routed up the West coast.

The key is to plan both routes - we found that even with lowish cloud you could get from Carlisle over to the East coast by heading along the Derwent -> Hexham -> Haltwhistle route.

I'd agree with Dan about stopping at Breighton. Great wee airfield with cheap self service fuel and some interesting aircraft to see if you have the time.

Feel free to pop into Prestwick and see us!

sharpend
23rd Jun 2014, 12:45
Thanks guys for the advice, keep it coming. My next stop after Carlisle is indeed Prestwick. I also want to minimise the flying hours so might want to stick to the west coast as I'm heading for Oban & Glenforsa.

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Jun 2014, 13:47
[[ off-topic ]]

The title of this thread seems to confirm my long-time suspicion: flying the big heavy metal can do funny things to some people's brains.

sharpend
23rd Jun 2014, 15:48
Jan, explain.

Dont Hang Up
23rd Jun 2014, 15:57
Unless they have lowered the TMA/CTA since I last looked, the transit round the East of the Manchester CTR has just enough headroom to be do-able and is very pretty. This has to be strictly CAVOK though as there is no room for IMC safety altitude.

Perhaps a silly question, but if you are IR rated and equipped, why not file a flight plan routing direct overhead MAN? A South-North transit through the overhead should cause ATC no trouble at all.

ETOPS
23rd Jun 2014, 16:00
I think what Jan is saying (humorously) is that many private pilots would have used a heading "Advice needed for flight to Scotland" to attract the right kind of info. By using your (humorous) title you appear to be hiding the real inent of your post.

He then surmises that this is because of your long hours slaving over controls of big jets....

Made me laugh anyway :ok:

piperboy84
23rd Jun 2014, 16:12
Perhaps a silly question, but if you are IR rated and equipped, why not file a flight plan routing direct overhead MAN? A South-North transit through the overhead should cause ATC no trouble at all

Because he's on his holidays away from flight plans + positive control etc, and probably wants to merrily cruise along at 1000 agl taking in the sights, farting and lighting one fag after another till his hearts content with nothing but the friendly banter of SI to aid him on his way.

Well that's how I would envision a stress free flying holiday anyway.

Have a good time and enjoy the highlands.

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Jun 2014, 16:54
ETOPS you scored 10/10 - I owe you one!

sharpend
23rd Jun 2014, 18:25
In reply to all, yes I could file a CA48 and cruise IMC all the way, but where is the fun in that? Plus, if it is windy aloft I'll take all day with my cruising speed. I have now decided to go up the west coast and refuel at Woodvale. After all, the aeroplane started life there in 1974 as the personal steed of the Boss of the UAS. But I'm sure Liverpool with give me a crossing at a few thousand feet. Alternatively route via Wallasey at 1500 ft.

By the way, if some of you think I am a fat old airline pilot only used to staring at a glass cockpit with the auto pilot engaged, think again. I have flown UK to Las Vegas single seat!

ps I'm not slim or young :O

Crash one
23rd Jun 2014, 18:52
Agree the east coast is less stressful, talk to Scottish, enjoy the view, head west when it gets lumpy north of the rivers. Or cross the borders, Leeming Carlisle. Enjoy Scotland.

Above The Clouds
23rd Jun 2014, 19:05
Sharpend

No need to transit Manchester / Liverpool airspace, either go round the corner at WAL VFR not above 1500' or up the low level route turn left direct to Woodvale, would be nice to she her back where she belongs. After Woodvale your route north is simple :ok:

gasax
23rd Jun 2014, 19:17
If you want to stay VFR (as some of us have to!), the West coast can be a 'bit difficult' with cloud building in front and on the high ground with a westerly airflow. On days like that the east coast is generally much easier.

Carlisle is a reasonable stop but on a VFR flight like this I would pick smaller and more interesting places than Prestwick. Pooleys is your friend.

If you are going to 'tour Scotland' then direct to Oban and Glenforsa leaves an awful lot out. I'd suggest going a little further north up the coast to Plockton and then either Orkney or Wick. Either means flying over some of the most rugged and desolate country in the UK (whilst it is still the UK!).

Given our prevailing weather the east is nearly always more reliable than the west for VFR flying but of course the scenery is in the middle or west!

M-ONGO
24th Jun 2014, 07:11
I have flown UK to Las Vegas single seat!

I hope Liz laid on a VC10 to bring the new Weber bbq back!

India Four Two
24th Jun 2014, 09:45
I have flown UK to Las Vegas single seat!

sharpend, I'm not surprised.

Your title made me think immediately of officer selection exercises!

Fionn101
25th Jun 2014, 09:14
thank you Gasax :-)

Plockton (or UK10 as we referred to it) is my favourite destinations in the sim for NavEx. It looks like such a beautiful remote Scottish piece of GA heaven that I must start planning a trip for real up there.

Bringing a friend up there in the sim was always fun as there were a few gotcha's about UK10 , over a hill and drop drop , make sure to stop or swim swim.

Fond memories.

NorthSouth
25th Jun 2014, 16:11
Well if you're going to UK10, avoid the dilemma of "scratch left wing on gorse bush or dump right wheel in hole", and just park on the grass :)