PDA

View Full Version : When is the next cull at QF Engineering?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Short_Circuit
7th Jul 2014, 09:09
The trouble with mxi is that it does not account for the tasks that are carried out concurrently whilst on one task. I mean, when involved with a task as a LAME or Snr LAME numerous side tracks happen, other A/C issues are discussed or dumped on you, talking fairy tails to Supervisors who expect everything to go plan, Tech Services, Stores, assisting others on other jobs, advising apprentices and AME's, appeasing the Supervisor and DMM when things are not going to plan, phoning the Ops Manager when he demands, call of help from MOC, tooling issues, inop computers and printers, nil stocks, need I go on. Mxi can only accept one thing at a time when actually we are often doing numerous tasks at once, to put them into Mxi would adds up to 40 of 50 hours a day and we know that will not be accepted. Mxi is a one job at a time system, aircraft maintenance is not...

NOT QF LAME
7th Jul 2014, 11:43
What a useless computer system that does not understand that a Qantas LAME is so gifted that he or she can complete 40 to 50 hours of work in their 8-12 hour day.

You guys really need to take a long hard look at yourselves you are not gods gift to aviation, aircraft fly and are maintained in countries other than Australia and companies other than qantas.

33 Disengage
7th Jul 2014, 11:47
I now understand why my manager instructed me, in writing, to enter t/log and c/log coupons into mxi using 'log and close' function during all a/c transits. The work won't get accounted for as it goes straight to history, larger 'white space' area on the charts for his domains, more engineers will get sacked, he will get his bonus because he has exceeded his KPIs.

I don't think he is as friendly as that ops manager bloke others are talking about.

Jet-A-One
7th Jul 2014, 12:20
Further to today's notice, it is worth pointing out that if we want to accurately record our hours worked, every hour you spend on a check has to be recorded against that check. If you get to the end of the day and have to add hours to your MXI timesheet, you have failed to record all of your hours worked. The way they are modelling their manpower is by extrapolating the hours allocated to each check and from this, calculating how many people they need. They are not looking at time sheet data that is inaccurate as we all know.

If you doubt this, dig into one of the LAX checks next time you get a chance. Air Nair allocate hours to everything from tows on/off bay to connecting ground power, even installing door nets. And where is the only growing port right now?

With all due respect Short Circuit, what you said makes no sense. Just make sure you allocate 11 hours a day to aircraft checks and you will get the desired result.

CoolB1Banana
7th Jul 2014, 12:34
Putting a job on your maintinex time sheet is a waste of time. If you don't have hours recorded in the package it didn't happen. For every little thing you do raise a snag in the package otherwise we don't get credit for it. Being lazy is costing jobs. Any wonder they think the planes fix themselves!

33 Disengage
8th Jul 2014, 02:33
The answer to the question of this thread - The cull is happening now! SYD base engineers who "are in scope" have been isolated from the rest. Awaiting a chat with that "friendly ops manager".

Kiwiconehead
8th Jul 2014, 02:44
Good to see the consultation process is working well.

Qantas just do whatever they like, and they wonder why they have no support from their staff.

Good luck to those in the firing line - it's not a great time to be job hunting in the industry.

But there is life after Qantas, and it's usually better.

Nassensteins Monster
8th Jul 2014, 04:14
Nassy's Monster, Those who **want** to go, can. Take a VR.
For those who want to stay, I believe the ALAEA is fighting to save their jobs.

No argument there.

Firstly, many are leaving because with all things considered, VR is the best possible outcome in the soul-destroying slow motion train wreck that our place of employment has become. Do they **want** to go? BSC, you know the answer to that: no - it is a bad choice over an even worse one - but it's a choice they're making. For certainty, for the sake of their mental wellbeing, whatever. Personally, I choose to stay because I like what I do and the people I do it with, and I was brought up to never walk away from a fight, even when you know you may lose.

Which brings me to my second point. I am borderline. I have skin in the game. The ALAEA is fighting for my job too.