PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus cadet program 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hangar6
12th May 2013, 09:21
On EI careers page today Roi and UK bases

Hard Landing
12th May 2013, 09:49
https://aerlingus.recruitment.northgatearinso.com/lgrl/pages/vacancy.jsf;jsessionid=0BE73E9A085945FA367665935290C8E5?late st=0

macflea
12th May 2013, 11:01
i think i may fail the english requirement bit as i cant see any age restriction or any reference to having no previous flying experiance , its probably my beers google are still on from last night, however they forget to add one essential requirement in the criteria which is to have a daddy in aer lingus . strong nepotism here but other guys do get in . i think i give it a go 37 and with 400 hours all first time passes.

flyingpony
12th May 2013, 12:52
Having any ATPL exams taken usually disqualifies you from these schemes. You're left with direct entry.

TeaTowel
12th May 2013, 14:16
If you are from south Dublin, have relatives in AL and have never had a previous interest in flying this is the course for you!!

206Fan
12th May 2013, 14:54
cadet-pilots - Aer Lingus Careers (http://careers.aerlingus.com/careers-in-the-air/cadet-pilots/)

Type Rated B767
12th May 2013, 15:13
Vacancy states:

Approx cost = 100.000
25% paid by you throughout course (25.000)
Further 25% taken from salary/wages

Where does that leave the other 50%? (50.000)

AnotherWannabe
12th May 2013, 15:14
The approximate cost of the initial training programme is €100,000. If you are successful in your application you will be required to fund approximately 25% of this training cost during the course. Upon successful completion of the course, a further 25% approximately will be recovered by Aer Lingus by means of reduced salary over a number of years. The full details of this will be outlined at a later stage in the recruitment process.

What happened to the remaining 50% of the 100k ?

Type Rated B767
12th May 2013, 15:34
How likely is it they will use FTE as the school again now its become available , does anyone know?

Papa2Charlie
12th May 2013, 15:44
FTE are probably the number one contender at the moment but EI may look at other options (others may include OAA, CTC etc.) based on price, experience with the 2011 batch of cadets and FTE's capacity.

Fanor
12th May 2013, 16:25
Thanks for posting this. I would like to apply have a PPL and ATPL theory. Is it true that the completion of ATPL theory disqualifies you from this scheme?

Cheers

Matt7504
12th May 2013, 16:31
ATPL Theory probably disqualifies you because you have demonstrated that you have the required knowledge. I mean it would be silly wouldn't it to let people join who have already shown a massive interest in the career and done some of the work. (Yes I am being sarcastic and yes I too have completed a PPL and ATPL Theory)

Libertine Winno
12th May 2013, 16:33
Does anybody know what the equivalent of a Leaving Certificate is? Or a 3rd level qualification?

Wondering if the education requirements will preclude those with English qualifications from applying...

AnotherWannabe
12th May 2013, 16:35
Does anybody know what the equivalent of a Leaving Certificate is? Or a 3rd level qualification?
Email them . You will get an official answer.
As far as I know LC = A Levels in England and Wales.

Type Rated B767
12th May 2013, 16:40
Im led to believe that Leaving Cert is the equivalent of our A-Levels & Junior Cert is the equivalent of our GCSE's...

Hangar6
12th May 2013, 16:44
Read boards.ie aviation section loads info but I believe our Belfast folks accept our leaving cert as between o and a levels but good advice to check it out
All companies like evidence of smarts , some ex pilots end up running airlines

I know ! It's ard to credit it reading our postings lol

contacttower118.2
12th May 2013, 16:54
There is a bit on the application form that asks whether you have ATPL subject passes and a place to list them with marks. It does not say that you cannot have taken any...

TeaTowel
12th May 2013, 19:19
Aer Lingus needs some blue pens. Many blue pens are available and ready to join Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus instead send out a request for red pens(Whom the Irish tax-payer spent thousands of euros on to send them to red-pen university) and plans to re-train them as blue pens at a cost of 50000 euro to the company.

Absolutely fascinating.

26 APRIL 2013: Aer Lingus is seeking 100 job cuts. Aer Lingus hasn't ruled out making compulsory lay-offs if it can't find enough takers for a voluntary redundancy plan unveiled yesterday.

Aer Lingus is seeking 100 job cuts - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-lingus-is-seeking-100-job-cuts-29223063.html)

N747EX
12th May 2013, 19:38
Have to agree with you TeaTowel it's great to see a cadet program again but there last recruitment was also cadet how about giving the guys in RE, FR etc plus the hundreds of freshly qualified pilots a chance. The thing that annoys me about this is there will be joe blogs who has no interest in flying who will see this apply get it and walk into a fantastic job and fair play to him but you got to feel for the guys and girls at the bottom rung of the ladder instructing, flying the props in RE etc who joe blogs is bypassing, maybe I'm just jealous...........goodluck to all who apply

Hangar6
12th May 2013, 20:27
Outside of the 20 cadets taken on in Q4 2011 EI have taken on over 75 pilots some from Fr Wx etc as well as contractors for summer peak so in FACT
EI has both blue and red pens , if pens is the right word ,,,, still go ahead let's go negative on a really positive thread ,,,,,,

Matt7504
12th May 2013, 21:06
It says to list which ATPL exams you have done, yet only has 3 boxes to enter this in. What if you have sat all 14 exams? Or is 3 exams some sort of generic number which the average hopeful pilot sits before they discover a cadet scheme?

WhosKiddingWho
12th May 2013, 21:13
This is the most promising article I have read about Cadet schemes.

Will anyone who has recently won a place on other scams (sorry, Schemes) apply for this, instead of trying to postpone their start dates while thinking of how to raise the necessary funds?

Well done Aer Lingus.

Type Rated B767
13th May 2013, 09:49
Under the heading "Employment Check" on the application form, you must state the period length you must give your current employer...

...okay, so one week, two weeks or a month for example.

The next question directly beneath states... "If YES, please provide dates of employment and job titles(s), plus a staff number?"

I fail to see its relevance to the previous ask, as Employment is covered fully in a different section altogether where you declare your 5 year working history.

Anyone make sense of this...?

MCDU2
13th May 2013, 10:08
I would suggest to all the naysayers that if you are taking yourself out of the running at the application stage then you are making it easy for the 3,000 or so that will apply if the numbers from last time are anything to go by.

Good luck to everyone and please check your grammar and spelling before submitting the application forms. If some of the above posts are anything to go by then you are making it very easy for a junior HR person to chop you at the first hurdle.

contacttower118.2
13th May 2013, 11:49
I'm finding the 'Educational details' section rather confusing.

Does it want me to enter individual exams like 'Maths GCSE' for example or what?

If so what does one put for the 'From/To' bit? The dates I was at the particular school?

Type Rated B767
13th May 2013, 12:29
Flyboi... that thought had crossed my mind, so did you leave it blank after stating period length notice to current employer?

With regard to the pdf format, I would of thought you be okay, if not chase a reply up with them. How do you change the format of the application into pdf from the online format? Im not at the submit stage just yet...

Type Rated B767
13th May 2013, 13:59
Least you have heard back from them...

So do you know how to change the format into a PDf?

G-F0RC3
13th May 2013, 16:39
These sorts of courses are clearly good news.

Unfortunately most people who would find 100,000 Euros impossible to find will also find 25,000 Euros impossible to find. It's still within the realms of requiring substantial security before a bank will entertain the idea, and unfortunately few loans allow a repayment holiday, so you're landed with having to fork out for it from square one.

southernjock
13th May 2013, 17:43
Well that's the application submitted. Now back to focusing on work tomorrow and put it to the back of my mind for the next month or so. Good luck everyone!

SJ

WhosKiddingWho
13th May 2013, 19:15
Definitely a step in the right direction.

As always there are other options:

Modular or Probable Ruination.

tobster911
13th May 2013, 19:58
When you press submit, it's automatically placed into a PDF document, so, no worries.

contacttower118.2
13th May 2013, 20:15
I'm curious to know how they will screen the applications since there isn't really any point in the process that asks "Why do you want to join Aer Lingus?" or "Describe yourself and why you would be a good pilot" etc...

Just seems rather basic; grades, flying experience, employment history...

Hangar6
13th May 2013, 20:38
Well it's a mystery that's for sure the outsourced screening company might for example screen out

Q Why do you want to be a pilot?

A Well I love uniforms and enjoy giving orders

I can imagine some unusual answers as most candidates for a cadet ship will be quite young and about to leave school after their exams this year but maybe I am being unfair ? Worth a new thread

What answers not to give at a Pilot selection interview.

I once asked a candidate why he applied for the job, hoping to break the ice and relax him by giving an easy chance to impress me

A pause of a few seconds and a bored response......well me ma sent the application in and says pay is great...

Matt7504
13th May 2013, 21:15
Sorry to ask this again, "It says to list which ATPL exams you have done, yet only has 3 boxes to enter this in. What if you have sat all 14 exams? Or is 3 exams some sort of generic number which the average hopeful pilot sits before they discover a cadet scheme?"
I will send an e-mail out if no one else is having a problem with this, though I can't seem to find the appropriate address to e-mail.

AnotherWannabe
13th May 2013, 21:26
I can't seem to find the appropriate address to e-mail.
It gives an email on the vacancies page
[email protected]

Bearcat F8F
13th May 2013, 22:46
Yeah mate, I just left it blank!

I also received an email back, saying that my CV isn't necessary for the application and therefore not to worry about it! What! I spent ages trying to make my CV and cover letter stand out that little bit extra. Gah! That's unfair.

I'm amazed how they will distinguish between all of us especially if the CV plays no role. I mean for the most part it will be very similar stuff for everyone. Hopefully it's not a case of first come first serve because I have yet to send mine away.

Good luck all!

Libertine Winno
14th May 2013, 08:08
Yeah very interesting...I know BA's Future Pilot Programme did at least have a couple of short answer questions (500 words-ish?) relating to challenges facing BA and why you would be appropriate for the course, so that many could be filtered out at application stage.

It does, however, state that there will be online tests to complete so perhaps everyone who meets the minimum requirements will complete the tests and then they will filter from there?

contacttower118.2
14th May 2013, 09:00
I will send an e-mail out if no one else is having a problem with this, though I can't seem to find the appropriate address to e-mail.

Because I have passed eight I just put what I thought were the three most important in the boxes and mentioned that I had passed eight in total in the box below that asks if you have enrolled in any courses.

Stocious
14th May 2013, 10:15
What a condescending post. Unfortunately not everyone is in the position to join a integrated or tagged scheme because they haven't got mummy or daddy willing to put the loan on the house for them, or support them with living costs for 18 months.

Yes some people actually have done a proper job before getting into flying and have had to pay their dues and sacrifice to try and follow their dream, since when has the ideal pilot become a 20 year old barely out of college, never worked a day in his life yet can find his way onto one of these courses pretty easily aslong as he has mummy or daddy to sponge off.

Not everyone who's on a tagged or integrated scheme has needed to 'sponge' from the bank of mum and dad, and it's grossly unfair to label them all in that manner. Neither are they all 20 year old or going for their first job. The sooner we get out of the 'us and them' mentality of modular vs integrated training and realise that each has it's own merits and it's own pitfalls the better.

None-the-less, the gentleman I was replying to with my post has to play the cards he has been dealt with. Coming on here and whining about how he isn't eligible for the minority of recruitment slots available, isn't going to help anybody.

steelbranch
14th May 2013, 12:39
Agreed. Most people pay for training themselves, so join the club as far as being in debt goes. Fail to see the point in moaning about having paid for your own training when a short cadetship window opens. Good luck to all who apply and may the best get onto the programme. Nobody's entitled to anything, sooner we all get that clear, the better.

Stocious
14th May 2013, 13:39
I as a pilot feel insulted that other professions are considered superior specifically in a pilot selection scheme. It's ridiculous.
do the moral thing and start gathering the funds for flight school yourself. Don't skip the queue.

Oh come on now, play fair! The airlines don't owe you anything!

Are people not allowed to choose to follow other career paths later in life? Perhaps they are even those people who looked at the option of doing their own modular training and the chances of employment afterwards, and chose not to?

Perhaps the cadet scheme exists to attract those people who can bring other things to the table than those with a CPL ME/IR and a couple of hundred hours. If they wanted those people, I'm sure they'd open up recruitment positions to suit. You conveniently overlook the fact that many applicants, and most successful applicants, of such schemes have flying or relevant work experience in one form or other, perhaps even a licence of their own.

It reminds me of those people who stupidly choose to buy a house in the boom and are now rewarded with mortgage relief. Mistakes are not there to be rewarded, they are meant to be acknowledged and learned from.

How ironic.

BAe 146-100
14th May 2013, 14:00
Its pretty much official that the modular route is dying, unless you want to go pay to fly and not earn a single penny from it.

TeaTowel I must admit I agree with pretty much everything you have said, its one thing wanting well educated people to apply for these schemes and that requirement is to be expected, but what they are doing is pretty much writing people off who have got flying experience (same with the easy scheme), why do they do this I do not know. And like you said all this does is invite people who have got degrees, never wanted to be a pilot in their entire life and can't get a job doing what they may want to do, apply for this and end up flying an A320.

Nauti
14th May 2013, 14:02
Well surely...because they're businesses, and if they're able to quality control the individuals working for their company before they even begin training, well...why wouldn't they?

TeaTowel
14th May 2013, 14:08
It will be a waste if you're only use for it is to tell people you have it. I was accepted into Mech Eng myself a few years ago. It was either that or pay for flight training and work over the next few years. I assumed I would be at an advantage to get a flying job then and my Mech Eng classmates would get Mech Eng jobs. This little scheme has obviously left me confused as I can't even apply for it and my Psychiatric Nurse friend with a fear of flying can.

There is the idea yes that you have a fall back qualification but how much do you think it will be worth in 10-20 years down the line if you lose your medical or what not. Much of your acquired knowledge will have been forgotten about in the meantime, and fresh grads will be ahead of you. Especially in I.T. to all you I.T. grads out there. That industry moves too quick.

MaydayMaydayMayday
14th May 2013, 14:36
I just don't want to see people who have degrees and have no-longer any interest in what they're in have advantages in life. It demonstrates an ability to to learn complex stuff yes, while also demonstrating the ability to fly the wrong heading and not admit, and then try and use it to ones advantage.

How could you possibly know that that would be the case? People change careers for all manner of reasons. They also merge careers and manage to make things work, in all manner of different professions. The majority of university students in the UK start around about age 18. How many people are absolutely clear on the path of their entire life at this age?

Plenty of folk I've spoken to, who have applied for sponsored schemes in the last couple of years, seriously considered self-sponsored flight training at some point in the past, but either considered it too much of a financial risk or weren't in a position to fund modular or secure a loan for integrated courses (either through their own income or family support). Getting in to another career in the meantime doesn't seem like an illogical thing to do.

Personally, I would only recently have been in a financial position to self-sponsor flying training, despite having wanted to do it for years. Others would have been able to do it an an earlier point. Either way, it's still far more of a gamble than a tagged/sponsored scheme.

The point being that studying or working in another area doesn't necessarily show any lack of passion for, or commitment to, aviation. In some cases it probably shows that they can take a measured view of the risks involved in different types of training schemes.

Type Rated B767
14th May 2013, 14:45
I think the topics of conversation are going off the actual topic thread here.

Everyones entitled to their own opinion, but is this really the place...?

TeaTowel
14th May 2013, 14:48
The point being that studying or working in another area doesn't necessarily show any lack of passion for, or commitment to, aviation. In some cases it probably shows that they can take a measured view of the risks involved in different types of training schemes.

In fact I agree with you here, if I was in HR I would think you're a good candidate. You got a qualification and demonstrated you can use it for a decade. The other candidates I would be looking for are people doing their LC in a few weeks(get off here and back to the study lads!) or who did it in the last 2 years and showed an interest in flying since or before.

I wouldn't want to see current Uni students or some one only out a few years who just saw the ad in the paper one day like last time. And yet they have an advantage over flight students.

contacttower118.2
14th May 2013, 14:48
I agree, it is very frustrating how these threads, which are primarily to exchange thoughts and information on the application processes for various airline schemes are so often hijacked and diverted into discussions that have often been done to death on other threads.

Quiet
14th May 2013, 14:50
Guys I think this thread is getting a little bit sour. Everybody will have both strengths and weaknesses in their applications. It's up to each individual to do the best with what they have and hope for a good outcome. It's extremely competitive but you've got to remember that they're open to taking on cadets straight from leaving cert which means they may have no flight training at all and certainly no degree. We don't know how it's going to work out or what exactly the company is looking for. Psychometric testing will do a lot of the leg work anyway and we're all on even footing for that :)

MaydayMaydayMayday
14th May 2013, 15:26
Apologies if things went a little off-thread, although it IS definitely useful to be able to explain (particularly if you're applying for one of these schemes as one of the older candidates) why you didn't begin some sort of training at an earlier point. At the interview stage they will almost certainly ask why it's taken so long, why you elected to go and study (or work, or travel, or whatever), and what have you done to further your career and show your interest in becoming a pilot. If you clearly haven't thought this through then I can't imagine you'd get beyond that point. It would probably become apparent quite quickly if you had applied on a whim and couldn't show a genuine interest in or knowledge of aviation, so really you'd think that candidates for sponsored schemes are going to have to demonstrate the reasoning behind whichever approach they've taken up until this point.

Have I dragged it back on-topic? ;)

tobster911
14th May 2013, 20:09
As far as I'm aware, if you have sat more than 3 ATPL exams, you are not eligible for the sponsored cadet scheme, though I may be wrong (I was once)...

And, the email address is '[email protected]'

contacttower118.2
14th May 2013, 20:11
As far as I'm aware, if you have sat more than 3 ATPL exams, you are not eligible for the sponsored cadet scheme, though I may be wrong (I was once)...

Where do you get that info from?

Whiskey Bravo
14th May 2013, 20:49
It would be interesting if they made the cut-off 3 ATPL exams. I'm not sure that anyone takes them in batches of three. Four to six or more at a time seems to be the norm, so three passes would be a 50-75% pass rate which one would hope is not what AL would be looking for.

Speculating on what the recruiters are looking for or not is almost certainly a waste of time and the mix of who does get through will probably not be seen as those who do will be too busy training.

Personally I see it as a positive that AL are not automatically barring those who have shown a level of motivation already to achieve their goals and likewise, there are certainly some competent individuals who have never thought of flying, or didn't have the resources for whatever reason to even start, who will make excellent pilots and also deserve the opportunity.

Matt7504
14th May 2013, 21:41
I agree that 3 exams is a really odd number, surely its more of a positive to have passed 7,8,14 (Whatever) than to have passed 3. I e-mailed recruitment about having done more than 3 exams and they said to enter it into the free space below.
No point crying over it I suppose, what is done is done.

Boe787ing
14th May 2013, 21:47
Has anyone submitted the application yet and received a response ?

joshpower1995
14th May 2013, 23:37
Hello. I'm having a little trouble the with Page 2 of the application, "Education Details." I'm currently waiting to sit the Leaving Cert for the first time this year and I am unsure what to put in the Education Detail fields since I have not completed the exam yet or received results. It is also confusing on if it is asking for a full examination or specific subjects. If anyone could offer help please reply, thank you.

Boe787ing
15th May 2013, 08:24
Thanks for your reply Fly-Boi. I am curious to know when they will exactly send the online assessments. Best of luck :)

Boe787ing
15th May 2013, 09:42
Some sources suggest that Aer Lingus will provide a tax free allowance of 1k a month during training. If that was the case this is a no brainer

flying free.LEVC
15th May 2013, 09:53
Is the accomodation and other expenses included in the prize or just the training itself?

Only a mad bank will lend me that amount of money:}

tobster911
15th May 2013, 11:41
contacttower118.2 : I'm not certain, but, It's unlikely (in my opinion), that they'd take cadets that had already taken their ATPL exams, because, after they have an ATPL, they're eligible for direct entry, rather than AL investing 50,000 EUR into a student that's already spent 20,000 getting to where they are now...

tobster911
15th May 2013, 11:43
@Boe787ing - I believe you will get the online assessment sent through when they have screened you and decided they want to take you further, which, as it says on the website, is around 4 weeks after the closing date. So, you'll hear from them by the end of June

Type Rated B767
15th May 2013, 15:55
I think the space to enter three of your total ATPL exams falls to a poor design of the application itself, like been mentioned nobody takes these exams in groups as little as.

In terms of completion of the cadetship, is there a "wait around" period, its wording isnt too clear on the TR course afterwards for the Bus.

Be interesting to see if the 1k allownace mentioned above comes to any real value...?

Flyboy91
15th May 2013, 20:42
Just to confirm...you don't need to attach a CV for the application? Is this correct? In that case is this a generic job application for the whole company that all jobs fill in?

Bearcat F8F
15th May 2013, 21:10
I think it would be silly not to attach a CV just in case.

Does anyone know how many successful candidates (even roughly) Aer Lingus are looking to take on?

Hangar6
15th May 2013, 22:07
One class of 20

Possibly a 2nd class depending on the quality !

Papa2Charlie
15th May 2013, 22:14
I'm curious as to what is driving the recruitment of so many cadets over the last few years. If Hangar6's information is accurate, this will represent ~45 cadets in 2 years. Does Aer Lingus have a particularly steep retirement profile in the future? With fleet numbers remaining static, there wouldn't appear to be a "growth" reason for the recruitment.

Hangar6
15th May 2013, 22:30
Increase of 15% in 3 years
Retirements
Vs contract
Novair contract
2 others
B757 x3 plan
70 positions filled in last 18 months plus cadets of 20
All solid growth in a profitable cautious well managed airline

no slot
15th May 2013, 23:37
I believe its 10 cadets this time, with more classes planned for the future.

I've just read all posts on this topic. Regardless of your background or experience, apply, and apply with a positive attitude. The current pilot body are a diverse group and a fair representation of society. Yes, there are brothers, sisters, sons and daughters of pilots, but they are in the minority, and they're flying the shamrock on merit alone.

Negativity is septic. You've every chance of being the next cadet regardless of age, sex, qualifications etc.

Best of luck to all.

Type Rated B767
16th May 2013, 08:49
10 cadets?
20 cadets?

If hangar6 is right, with the growth, wont they need more than 20?

Im thinking this year will be even more competition than 2011...

Solstice
16th May 2013, 11:01
I’m informed, by a reliable source, that the number is a minimum of 10 but that they will look for a pool of 20 (should further be required due additional initiatives etc..).

The minimum age limit and educational qualifications are that – minimums! It allows for the widest spread of applicants. The average age in the last class was mid 20’s and most had 3rd level qualifications (mainly engineering). However, EI has a history of taking younger exceptional candidates who have demonstrated motivation, technical aptitude and maturity. The pilot body is a very diverse group with all sorts of educational / work experience / nationality backgrounds. EI also has one of the highest ratios of female pilots in the industry.

They will use the basic application questions and online aptitude tests to screen (be warned – you will be tested again if you are successful in reaching the later stages).

No excuse, regardless of background, for not knowing some basic principles of flight and company information.

I'm told that finance is pitched at making it available to as many as possible i.e. most people should be able to secure a 25k loan on the basis of securing an EI cadetship. Payments, I believe, are spread. So you shouldn’t let this be an excuse not to apply.

The very best of luck to all who apply……..

Bearcat F8F
16th May 2013, 14:09
Solstice (http://www.pprune.org/members/141379-solstice), thanks for the info. Do you by any chance know what sort of online assessment it will be? Would it be the SHL tests which are used for most of the graduate programs or it will be a bit more like the tests which CTC, OAA and FTE facilitate, but online?

Just curious, because I hate the SHL tests :{

Also, I wonder how AL will accommodate the training for everyone since presumably they accept people with ATPL exams complete... it will mean everyone will be in a different position with regards to their flying experience, or lack of.

daveandg
16th May 2013, 15:45
Invites for online assessments are out...

contacttower118.2
16th May 2013, 16:07
They are indeed...:E

Good luck everyone. :ok:

Bearcat F8F
16th May 2013, 17:21
What the heck! The application window only closes on the 29th! Does that mean anyone who hasnt applied yet missed the boat?

pug
16th May 2013, 17:23
contacttower, I second that :ok:

EDIT: Since the application window has only just opened, and presumably the online assessments cost very little to nothing for Aer Lingus, then its probably offered to everyone who meet their requirements as and when the application has been screened. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious?... So if you have only just submitted your application then it may take a few days.

contacttower118.2
16th May 2013, 17:28
No need to panic, I assume they are just doing the assessments in sets.

PVFC
16th May 2013, 18:17
Submitted on Tuesday, just received the login information for the online assessment tests. In the email AL sent, it mentions that there are example tests to work through before beginning the real tests (which last two hours!) but I can't seem to find them..am I being daft or is anyone else also having trouble?

Boe787ing
16th May 2013, 19:14
What is the time limit you are given to complete these online tests ?

contacttower118.2
16th May 2013, 19:19
72 hours according to the email.

Boe787ing
16th May 2013, 20:28
Thanks contact tower.
Is this an online PILAPT/numeracy test ?

contacttower118.2
17th May 2013, 08:52
The email will reveal all, but yes it is an "aptitude" test of sorts involving numeracy, verbal reasoning, usual stuff...

Boe787ing
17th May 2013, 09:23
Thanks for the info contact tower :)

Renzo
17th May 2013, 11:21
Does anybody know where the training is likely to take place?

ArronG
17th May 2013, 13:57
Last Cadet intake went to FTE Jerez but nothing released as yet for this year.

Type Rated B767
17th May 2013, 18:21
Application submitted... :)

Fanor
17th May 2013, 18:28
Application also submitted. Good luck to all those who apply.

contacttower118.2
17th May 2013, 22:03
Tests complete...:E

reeko
18th May 2013, 09:41
How'd they go.... hard?
Good Luck

Fanor
18th May 2013, 10:09
What did the tests involves? Were they difficult? Cheers

Aerlingus231
18th May 2013, 10:35
I doubt anyone on here is going to give an in depth review of what was in the tests so as not to give an advantage to others that they themselves didn't have going into it, but I'd imagine they were pretty standard psychometric tests; ie: maths, coordination, reaction etc.

Fanor
18th May 2013, 11:00
That's fair enough. I just wanted to know an overview of what the tests were like etc.

pug
18th May 2013, 12:03
I would think that, from experience, as calculators are suggested for the numeracy tests, they will be far more complex than the numerical reasoning tests in Pilapt and COMPASS..

student630
18th May 2013, 16:56
Hello,
I am 18 and currently studying towards my A Levels in Northern Ireland. I have always had a passion for flying and it has been my dream to be a pilot ever since I was a child. I only 8 hours in a Cessna 172 so I do have some flying hours, but they are minimal. I was planning on completing my A Levels and then focus on my piloting career, i.e. work for my PPL next year with the money I have received from EMA as I have saved it over the course of the last two years for my PPL.

I believe this cadet programme is a great opportunity so I've decided to apply. On the application, it asks for a CV to be attached. Can the CV just be a standard CV or is there a specific airline layout which is preferred?

Paxi_R6
18th May 2013, 18:13
Standard CV yeah :) cover letter just mention why I was applying, I had COMPASS test yesterday, Maths was my only downfall :ugh: Just not great without a calculator. Aer Lingus test allows a calculator so should do better, even if the questions are harder.

Quiet
18th May 2013, 18:14
Can anyone shed light on why a CV might be optional? If you don't submit a CV are you at a disadvantage? The fact that it's optional indicates that you wouldn't be at a disadvantage but then why ask for them at all?

daveandg
18th May 2013, 19:31
CV.....this is a generic Aer Lingus form for application to a post within the company, there's only really one element which is specific to the cadet programme which asks if you have any flying. The cv is not a required attachment, as I was invited to take the online assessment without having submitted one.

Quiet
18th May 2013, 19:43
Then why do they even bother giving the option to attach one if it makes no difference? Seems like they're creating extra work for themselves?

IDLWITB
19th May 2013, 12:14
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether a leaving cert in Ireland Is equivalent to GCSEs or A-Levels in the UK/northern Ireland.

Thanks in advance.

Aerlingus231
19th May 2013, 12:19
It'd be the same as your A-Levels

IDLWITB
19th May 2013, 13:28
Thanks for that aerlingus 23. So is there any point applying with only GCSEs?

I have passed my first seven ATPLs through Propilot, Coventry?

I have also obtained my basic disclosure document?

I passed an assessment at CTC and invited onto the CP9* intake? But had to decline due to inadequate funding?

Look forward to hearing back from you again.

IDLWITB
19th May 2013, 13:44
Many thanks Aerlingus 231.... Sure it doesn't cost anything to submit and see. :)

Coliandro
19th May 2013, 20:03
How long do you think it will take before the first on-site interviews will take place?

Do you also know what will be the prospect of salary for the first few years of employment?

Thanks a lot for your help

Boe787ing
19th May 2013, 21:28
How long have the people who submitted applications waited before a response to complete online assessments ?

contacttower118.2
19th May 2013, 21:42
Was three days for me.

darkced
20th May 2013, 10:33
invited to complete online assessments the day after I submitted my application.

Boe787ing
20th May 2013, 15:43
Not looking good :(

future captain
20th May 2013, 16:08
When did you submit your application?

Boe787ing
20th May 2013, 20:05
Friday....

Quiet
20th May 2013, 20:11
Wouldn't be too worried about it, just give them a few days. Unless you didn't meet the minimum LC requirement you'll get the email eventually. Plenty of time left.

Greendotz
20th May 2013, 20:23
Quiet:Can anyone shed light on why a CV might be optional? If you don't submit a CV are you at a disadvantage? The fact that it's optional indicates that you wouldn't be at a disadvantage but then why ask for them at all?
It does mention that the CV attachment is optional, so I guess you don’t need to worry about it too much, but ask yourself this. If you truly want this job then wouldn’t you want to put in the most amount of effort as possible? Especially on such a vanilla application process it’s probably the only opportunity you get to distinguish yourself from others. Also I bet if you did make it to the interview stage then they’d have something to go on. If you’re thinking “man, I want this job, but making a CV is such a bother” do you really think that further down the line you’ll be able to compete against incredibly passionate candidates who will be putting 100% of their effort into getting the job.

I think you’re spot on with your analysis that if they really didn’t need it they wouldn’t give you the option to upload it in the first place, but hey I could be wrong.

Also @Beo787ing, calm down buddy :) I you mean Friday the 17th then it’s barely been a single working day. Potentially you may not hear anything until June 21st and still get invited to take the online tests. At least give it a week, if you still haven’t heard anything by then then maybe you can start worrying, but don’t freak out just because you didn’t get a next day response ;)

G-GOLF
21st May 2013, 13:02
Hi all,

Just received the invite for online assessments, applied a few days ago.

I have a Frozen ATPL and job hunting 3 years now. Anyone else here thats applied as a licenced pilot? With it being a cadetship type thing I'm wondering if they'll hire a certain number ready to go straight in for the TR Training.

Good luck everyone!

Boe787ing
21st May 2013, 13:16
Oh wow! Just to let you know I got my email to do online assessments just now.

Do we have 72 hours from registering or from when we receive email ? I was thinking of doing it over the weekend since I have long hours at work all week.

Does anybody know if I could do that?

Exiled Martian
21st May 2013, 13:26
I too recently completed the online assessments (PPL'er)!

On that note Goodluck to all the hopefuls :ok:

@Boe787ing: To answer your question I think the email depicted 72 hours from receiving the actual email invite.. to quote;

"Please complete the assessments at your earliest convenience and within 72 hours of receiving this email"

pug
21st May 2013, 13:29
Did anyone who has completed the tests manage to answer all of the questions in verbal reasoning, or Is it accuracy based like many others are such as for graduate schemes?

southernjock
21st May 2013, 13:29
Boe787ing,

I'm in a similar situation, I received my email last Thursday but am unable to register for the online tests until this coming weekend. This is due to the fact that I am overseas with work at the moment and won't be in a position to have either a steady Internet connection or computer with a keyboard or mouse until then.

I plan to register on Friday and start my 72hrs from there as it specifies in the email the 72hrs starts from the registration for the online tests.

The best of luck to you.

Alpha Golf Mike
21st May 2013, 13:58
Does anybody know what the Norwegian equivalent to the Irish Leaving Certificate is? I didn't get a very clear answer from Aer Lingus...

Boe787ing
21st May 2013, 14:08
Thanks for the responses, am glad your on the same logic as me southernjock.

Alpha golf mike I would have no idea but can you contact Naric to compare qualifications ?

G-GOLF
21st May 2013, 14:17
Can anyone kindly confirm whether or not a mouse is necessary for the online tests? I have not yet registered for them so apologies if they give such information after that point. I only have a laptop, which is why I'm thinking it might be an idea to find someone with a desktop before registering and starting the 72 hour countdown.

pug
21st May 2013, 14:48
G-Golf, I found that a mouse was only really required for the hand eye test, I managed the rest on a laptop.

G-GOLF
21st May 2013, 14:56
Thanks Pug!

I'll have to pop out and pick up a mouse then.

Alpha Golf Mike
21st May 2013, 16:14
Boe787ing: I will check with some teachers at my school, but thank you for the tip.

reeko
21st May 2013, 17:15
anyone done the assessments..... I've done three and found them quite hard.

Is this bad luck or should I be worried?

4G Inverted Dive
21st May 2013, 17:32
Hi all,

Just received the invite for online assessments, applied a few days ago.

I have a Frozen ATPL and job hunting 3 years now. Anyone else here thats applied as a licenced pilot? With it being a cadetship type thing I'm wondering if they'll hire a certain number ready to go straight in for the TR Training.

Good luck everyone!

I'm sure this is for people without an ATPL, should you not be applying to their Direct Entry route? Are you not taking places from people who maybe have never flown, who this opportunity is focused on???:ugh:

Fanor
21st May 2013, 18:22
I am sure you have done fine. What parts of the assessments did you find hard?

G-GOLF
21st May 2013, 18:30
I'm sure this is for people without an ATPL, should you not be applying to their Direct Entry route? Are you not taking places from people who maybe have never flown, who this opportunity is focused on???:ugh:

I didn't see anything saying I was not entitled to apply, in fact, they asked whether or not I had an ATPL. I'll apply to anything and everything I can, as would you or anyone else. I'm not taking places from anyone and to be honest, having invested so much time and money, I'd have to be a complete idiot to worry about something like that.

Exiled Martian
21st May 2013, 18:32
I can honestly say those online assessments were definite catalysts for the 'sweaty palm' syndrome.

Personally I found the Verbal reasoning & Numeracy very time stringent & difficult to say the least...anyways the damage is done....I'm awaiting the prognosis due diligently *criss crosses fingers* :}

Fanor
21st May 2013, 18:43
Here Here G-GOLF.

reeko
21st May 2013, 19:07
I've done

1.Discover rules and interrelations
and
2.Spatial Reasoning

Kinda ran out of time towards the end...

student630
21st May 2013, 19:34
i've just completed all of the tests there now and i found some quite easy but other's were difficult. For the Rules + Interrelations, I completed 9 out of the 12 and I believe they were all right. For Spatial Reasoning, I completed all 12. For Numerical Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning, in my opinion I did terrible as I got 16 out of 37 and 22 out of 49 respectively.

How's everyone else getting on?

And I realise that there will be the odd person who says that I'm giving information about the online tests away which is giving others an advantage, but all i'm saying is what i've completed and how I think I done in them.

Coliandro
21st May 2013, 21:18
What happens if you decide not to go forward with the application after you submit it? Could you be prevented from applying in future programs?

Many thanks

Nauti
22nd May 2013, 01:29
Well, I applied over a week ago and have heard nothing by email. I suppose I should assume I've been unsuccessful? Disappointed, as I've made it to the final stage of more than one selection process this year. The major flaw in my application that I can see is that, because I haven't had the time die to (military) work commitments, I have very little loggable flying experience. A shame - I suppose I would have liked to at least received a 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Best of luck to all those applying.

Out The Gap
22nd May 2013, 02:09
Nauti, maybe you should email them to find out what your status is... it´s unusual that they would not give you some form of reply. The lack of flying experience shouldn't affect your application at this early stage...many people will apply, and have applied before with little or no experience, and will go, or have gone a long way in the process. That's the whole point of an ab-initio cadetship.

FB1992, my application says "Application Received" and I received today my invitation for online assessments.

Best of luck to all! :ok:

Out The Gap
22nd May 2013, 02:13
Coliandro, I see no reason why you couldn't apply again in the future if you withdraw your application. Anyone could have to withdraw for all sorts of reasons...

Nauti
22nd May 2013, 09:26
Well, I thought it couldn't hurt to email. Was told to keep checking my emails, as that's how I'll be informed of my progress. My application still shows as 'received' on the portal, so we'll see. I suppose I'll give it some more time, and hope I haven't fallen at the first!

ArronG
22nd May 2013, 09:31
It may be worth checking your 'junk email' folder just in case it has been incorrectly marked as junk or spam.

Matt7504
22nd May 2013, 09:33
I'm still waiting myself Nauti, I applied last Wednesday and have heard nothing back. I have a PPL and a full set of ATPL theory exams with a decent average, so either I am still waiting or I am overqualified X)
Though, I don't think they inform you if you are not through to the next stage, I'm sure I read that on the application page.

Fanor
22nd May 2013, 10:05
Matt7504 I am in the same position as you and got my assessment confirmation yesterday after sending it last Thursday. I am sure HR is inundated with applications. Don't worry. I'm sure your assessment confirmation will come soon.

Type Rated B767
22nd May 2013, 11:30
Application recieved on the status and email for online assessments.

Does it allow you to take one assessment and break before the other or must you take them all after each other providing they are ALL completed within 72 hours of registering...

Maths may prove my shortfall...

Alpha Golf Mike
22nd May 2013, 14:11
Another question from me, do some of you know if there is some kind of max fixed wing hours in order to be considered for the programme?

I know that easyJet and Flybe have a maximum amount of fixed wing hours..

Greendotz
22nd May 2013, 15:28
A little heads up for some people yet to take the test, earlier someone asked if they thought a mouse was needed? I believe using a mouse would significantly improve your chances as opposed to using a laptop track-pad, if you don’t have one, get one.

Also to any UK applicants, been an Irish company and all the questions for the numeracy section are in European format, what means decimals and commas are reversed, for example;

Two thousand two hundred dollars and seventeen cents
UK = $2,200.17
EU = $2.200,17

Just thought you’d want a little pre warning, as I think it cost me a question or two before I worked it out :\

airbus350s
22nd May 2013, 18:36
hey can you tell me whats the rules and interrelations about is it questions about aer lingus or something?

Fanor
22nd May 2013, 19:51
All done with the assessment. Some were painful others were pleasant and common sense questions.

Good luck to all

G-CFMX
23rd May 2013, 00:22
Just completed my online assessment. Applied on Monday and invited to the assessment on the Tuesday less than 24 hours, so I don't think there is a long waiting period to wait and hear from them.

Wow the assessment was a little tough started off okay then just absolutely picked up momentum. Just it was good fun in seeing what they want from us.

Hope it all goes well for everyone :)

Scott Duch
23rd May 2013, 04:04
I applied last year and within 24 hours of my application being sent I was invited to do the assessments.

Each stage they invited people and once numbers were reached/satisfied they sent our rejection emails. It was the same for the invites to the group stages and final interview.

After the final interview we got told we would hear something back by the 1st week of December and I heard nothing. I called up 2 weeks later and the lady said they were a little behind and I'd hear by the first 2 weeks of Jan. On the 14th of Jan my mate got a rejection but I didn't get anything. There was word on boards.ie that they kept rejections back from 10 or so applicants incase the initial 20 picked for medical/physc evaluation didn't pass. Once they had their 20 and the numbers were met, rejections were sent out. I don't want to know if that was true, so close!

We were told 3500 applications were received so they will definatley be really busy, give it time. I think 80 of us got to the final stage and they were falling a little behind with that so wait it out.

I had no hours flying apart from 2 experience flights. and 6 months later got onto the CTC/Flybe scheme again with only 2 hours flying. It shouldn't go against you.

Tin-Budgie
23rd May 2013, 07:40
There is something that I want to ask all that have applied...is there any of you who don't meet the educational criteria?

I meet essential and desirable, I have 8 GCSES inc English and Maths but I don't have any A Levels.

I submitted my application lastnight but I don't expect to get through the screening due to this.

Is there anyone in the same boat as me?

Thanks

nabanoba
23rd May 2013, 09:30
"Each stage they invited people and once numbers were reached/satisfied they sent our rejection emails. It was the same for the invites to the group stages and final interview."

Hey Scott Duch. I was reading the above statement and read it as once they've received enough decent candidates for the next stage they stop accepting people? Is this true.

I'm on holiday at the moment and I've my app all ready to go. Wasn't going to send it til tomorrow though, so I can do my online assessments next week when I'm home. Will waiting put me at a disadvantage?

Scott Duch
23rd May 2013, 09:54
You will be in with a good chance just like anyone else if you apply before the deadline so don't delay.

But once that date had passed and invites were sent out, the people who hadn't been invited for assessments were put on hold until the invites to the group stages had gone out and the spaces were full. If there were not enough people making the standard for the group stages or people didn't sign up for a day in time then they would invite other along for the online assessments and see if they can then fill the spaces in the group stages.

This is all from what I had seen progressing through the various stages to the final interview. Aer Lingus did not say this is how they work, just my take on it - once spaces for the next round were fill, PFOs were sent out to the people still waiting.

limesoda
23rd May 2013, 10:52
What should one do if he/she is completing his A levels in a couple of weeks - therefore doesn't have their final grades?

Should i put down my AS grades and my A2 final predictions?

Thanks

G-GOLF
23rd May 2013, 13:04
charliegarner,

I'd say thats all you can do really, just make it clear they are predictions and perhaps mention this in your cover letter. Worst case is they say try again next time.

Good luck!

squarehole
23rd May 2013, 13:29
Want to apply but i'm missing the funding, good luck!

Selfmade92
23rd May 2013, 15:09
does everyone who fills out the online app gets invited for the online testing right afterwards?

Alpha Golf Mike
23rd May 2013, 15:49
Sent in my application today, let's see how far I can get..

G-GOLF
23rd May 2013, 17:28
Online assessments complete ! I too only answered around 20 Q's during Verbal + Numerical reasoning. Slightly worrying!

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2013, 18:02
I can't see how any human can answer 47 of those questions in 12 minutes.

What I am wondering however is whether guessing the remaining half of the questions would play for or against someone. I mean if you answer let's say "false" for all the remaining questions in the last 30 seconds, you're bound to pick up a few extra correct answers... however I wonder if this will be detected and turned against you? Hopefully not :rolleyes:

------

I thought whoever designed the hand-eye coordination test is a genius though. Most enjoyable tests I have ever done. I'm looking forward to doing that little tube run in the A320 :}

has anyone flown the entire thing without crashing? I was so sure I could nail it all the way... but 2 minutes in - bang! Gah! Was a bit annoyed... but still, it was great fun!

G-GOLF
23rd May 2013, 18:11
I agree, 47 in 12 minutes, anyone? They did say on each test to avoid guessing and that accuracy was the key. I'd imagine it would appear pretty obvious to them if a run of questions were guessed in say the last minute.
Still, it's very hard to resist temptation!

The hand eye stuff was pretty good actually, I had a few crashes in the middle of my run. Fingers crossed!!

darkced
23rd May 2013, 18:17
I also did slightly more than 1/2 of the questions in both Verbal tests...Pretty frustrating because you get faster and faster as you read the text over and over. 2 more minutes and I would almost have finished.

Anyway, I would tend to think that clicking randomly on all the remaining questions is definitely not something they would appreciate. As a pilot a good rule is "if you dont know, dont say anything". IMHO.

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2013, 18:34
G-GOLF,

Actually, the exact wording is more like this:

"If you are not sure of a question, select you best answer and move on. Avoid Guessing"

Now, it's a bit contradictory... since obviously if you are not sure, then your 'best' answer will be a guess.

That is the only reason I deemed it acceptable enough to answer all the questions. Either way, it would be a bit of a shame to fail someone just for attempting all of them.

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2013, 18:36
AFAIK, Psychometric test similar to the ones that Aer Lingus (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7858436&noquote=1#) used use negative marking to ensure that people don't start randomly guessing, that's why it says at the start that it's more important to be accurate than get them all done. No one's going to get them all done, they're designed that way...
If that's true, I'm screwed :ugh:

darkced
23rd May 2013, 18:45
"If you are not sure of a question, select you best answer and move on. Avoid Guessing"

Now, it's a bit contradictory... since obviously if you are not sure, then your 'best' answer will be a guess.
I think that when they say "If you are not sure", they dont mean "if you have no idea, have no time left and absolutely want to give an answer". Plus finding out random answers is obvious: starting from a certain point you will have mostly wrong answers.
Anyway, the purpose of the test is precisely to make you say when you cant give an answer to a question...

contacttower118.2
23rd May 2013, 18:47
has anyone flown the entire thing without crashing? I was so sure I could nail it all the way... but 2 minutes in - bang! Gah! Was a bit annoyed... but still, it was great fun!

Nope had the one crash, my heart was beating outside of my body as I did it although I managed to keep my hand steady for most of the time.

What I couldn't quite understand was the point of giving the user speed control? I mean did you do better if you went faster in the allotted time and therefore went through more holes? For the most part I didn't use the speed control function and just let the speed build automatically while occasionally slowing down for the harder ones.

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2013, 18:49
AerLingus231,

Interesting. So if say out of 20 questions, I guess 5 correctly (1 in 4 chance... sounds fairly realistic) then I would be -.2.5 overall... which I guess isnt a huge price to pay. But either way I wish you posted this comment of yours before I did my test :{

I anticipated that perhaps in the worst case scenario, no marks would be allocated for correct questions which AL would deem as being guessed (i.e in a long string of similar answers), I did not however, anticipate that it is possible to mark someone down for incorrect responses.

thebestof10
23rd May 2013, 19:51
Hi everyone! Yesterday I did the Hand-eye coordination test but can't remember the rules...
I played all the time with speed so i could travel farder and farder along the track, but of course crashing more than twice.
I guess it will count the distance and crashes will decrease puntuation as anyone can do slow it down and going throgh all places withouth crashing! :S

Does anybody know how long from completing the online assesment will AL contact us??

Best luck boys!

Cesc_
23rd May 2013, 20:20
Aer Lingus state that the cost of training is €100,000, of which the cadet will pay 25% and 25% from salary deductions. Is it safe to assume then that Aer Lingus we contribute to the other 50%.

Bearcat F8F
23rd May 2013, 20:45
Cesc, that seems to be the consensus, yes. But this is just coming from someone who posted on this thread earlier and not from AL themselves.

Talewind
23rd May 2013, 21:08
My first thought when I read it was that AL will pay the other 50%.

Posts on here are suggesting that this might not be the case.....what could the other possibility be?

limesoda
24th May 2013, 08:03
Wonderful :) Thanks G-golf for solidifying that. Was my initial thought!

JohanP
24th May 2013, 08:55
For those who want to play again the hand eye coordination test, here is exactly the same. Don't think it can help anyone if you train a lot and never crash as I am pretty sure they test your progression... This is just to let you know what to expect.

steelbranch
24th May 2013, 10:12
Ha ha, nice work. Can you imagine the amount of lads playing that video game all weekend long.

steelbranch
24th May 2013, 10:22
all is forgiven then :ok:

StevenM
24th May 2013, 10:28
It would be most recommended to remove the link, its giving an unfair advantage to those yet to complete the exam, they are given plenty of time to use the example.

dynamicq
24th May 2013, 10:45
My friends back in school have been playing this game at IT lessons, while I was studying. I chose IT.. well.. The Irony! :mad:

Can somebody post if they had an offer from aer lingus, so 'us' mortals can contrast on whether we have chances. Including the date of the offer sent to them. Never applied to cadet programmes before, so not sure how people work out if they got in or not.
:rolleyes:

Nauti
24th May 2013, 17:43
Snap! Just received my invite.

Selfmade92
24th May 2013, 17:58
I don't get why they sent me another online assessment link, now I have to redo everything all over again, even though I've finished everything yesterday. :suspect:

at least now I know what to expect and probably will do twice as good :p

urban1937
24th May 2013, 18:32
I've just received the invitation for the assessment! lodged on 11th of may and have been waiting for almost 2 weeks and started losing hope but it finally arrives! To those who haven't got it yet its just a matter of time :)

Bearcat F8F
24th May 2013, 19:05
I don't get why they sent me another online assessment link, now I have to redo everything all over again, even though I've finished everything yesterday. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

at least now I know what to expect and probably will do twice as good http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

WHAT! Haha. I wouldn't mind a 2nd shot that's for sure! :ok:

USA1pilot
24th May 2013, 20:39
I received the invite for the assessment a couple of hours after i applied. I already have cpl with a ME/IR and 250 hours.

contacttower118.2
24th May 2013, 20:50
There do seem to be a number of people applying with quite a lot of flying experience, what do you think AL are likely to do with those people should they be successful, make them sit through the whole process again but just sit out the actual exams?

My own situation is PPL and about half of ATPL theory...

AnotherWannabe
24th May 2013, 22:22
what do you think AL are likely to do with those people should they be successful, make them sit through the whole process again but just sit out the actual exams?
Since AL is paying for most of the training, I think they would benefit from students who have already done ratings and some exams. AL won't have to pay for those exams for those students so those students would 'cost less' to them .

Selfmade92
25th May 2013, 05:06
anybody already heard back from any positive online assessment results?

Alpha Golf Mike
25th May 2013, 09:55
Completed my assessments today, anyone been invited to the next stage?

Fanor
25th May 2013, 10:45
Last application date is the 29th May. Therefore, I don't expect to hear back from them about the next stage until everyone has completed the assessments. Just my opinion.

tobster911
25th May 2013, 11:47
Just received an eMail about the online assessment:

1) Can anyone tell me what kind of tests there are, and how to practice for them?

2) I'm currently unwell, and don't want to do the assessment if I can't concentrate properly, however, it says that after registering, you have 3 days to complete the selection, but I don't want to register until I'm better. Does anyone know how long I have got to register?

3) I emailed them a while a go, after submitting my application, apologising because I am in the UK, and, at 17, I only have GCSEs (Good ones, nonetheless), and we can;t do 7 subjects at A-Level like on the leavers Cert. Do you think they will have taken this email into account before selecting me, or is it an automatic selection process all on a computer with no real people behind it?

4) And, finally, how many people have been selected? I was applicant 400 and something, and my reference is ALCDT13, which I guess is Aer Lingus Cadet 13?

Thank you

clvf88
25th May 2013, 13:03
And, finally, how many people have been selected? I was applicant 400 and something, and my reference is ALCDT13, which I guess is Aer Lingus Cadet 13?

I'd imagine the '13' refers to the year, not you.

Fanor
25th May 2013, 13:04
I had the same login as you and was 421 I think. But I think the 421 might be the job reference number.

We all have the same login, but when you log in you do register with your name and your contact details etc.

Hopefully that helps

Benjybh
25th May 2013, 14:38
My ref was 424, applied on the 21st. Possibly a job spec? I'd assume more than 424 people have applied?!

tobster911
25th May 2013, 15:25
Ah right, I did wonder, and, for some reason, that didn't cross my mind, though normally, I am more logical than that... Have you taken the assessments yet, and what kind of things are they? Are they quite difficult / challenging, or are they quite easy?

Benjybh
25th May 2013, 16:07
Yeah I've done them. They weren't too horrendous on the whole. A couple of them were a bit of a brain mash and the numerical/verbal reasoning ones were very short on time, but said that nobody is expected to finish them. I only got about half way though them both :O

tobster911
25th May 2013, 16:41
Cheers, are they 'standard' Pilapt tests then? And, does anyone know when we're likely to be told 'Yes, come to Dublin for second Selection', or, 'No, yer a failure'?

Greendotz
25th May 2013, 17:59
arr, why doesn't this forum have a reply/auto-quote function?

And, does anyone know when we're likely to be told 'Yes, come to Dublin for second Selection', or, 'No, yer a failure'?

As someone mentioned earlier applications are still open until 29th of May. I would be very surprised if anyone heard anything before the 7th of June, but then that's just my assumption.

contacttower118.2
25th May 2013, 18:09
Just looking back to the 2011 thread the first people to take the online assessments waited roughly a month I think before news. May be quicker this time of course, and someone who knows better by all means correct me...

Boe787ing
25th May 2013, 19:24
Do we have to commit to the individual test once we click to go on it or can we practice and try test later ?

Bearcat F8F
25th May 2013, 19:39
Once you start a test, you have to finish... but you can take different tests at different times within the 72 hours.

You are however allowed to practice the examples as many times as you like.

Cesc_
25th May 2013, 20:23
Found this pay scale on the Aer Lingus site

http://www.aerlingus.com/Corporate/BFSPilot_Pay_And_Conditions.pdf

Would that pay scale apply to cadet pilots, seem almost a good of deal of the British Airways programme.

Stocious
26th May 2013, 08:09
Would that pay scale apply to cadet pilots, seem almost a good of deal of the British Airways programme.

BA's remuneration package rises a lot faster than that scale, and tops out much higher however.

AisLingus
26th May 2013, 10:14
Are the psychometric tests really the be all and end all? Just curious as I am halfway through mine. Cheers for any help!

funkyt111
26th May 2013, 10:56
For the Rules and Interrelations test, did the four options always belong to a certain group? Did all four HAVE to be assigned?

Tin-Budgie
26th May 2013, 15:58
How did everyone find the rules and interrelations & spacial reasoning??

I don't think I did too good with them...only answered about 8 of each :confused:

Hangar6
26th May 2013, 19:28
Hi folks wait until closing date before you share your thoughts after all it is a
A competition for places?

Good luck all and well done for keeping thread so positive, quite rare in tese trying times.

southernjock
27th May 2013, 04:10
Well I concur with most of what has been said about the tests already on this thread. Just completed mine so time to play the waiting game again.

Good luck to one and all that are applying,

Quiet
27th May 2013, 15:22
Just 48 hours left now till online applications close, then the real waiting begins! This is exciting :)

future captain
27th May 2013, 21:55
Done mine...Dunno what to say, mixed bag really. But as another poster has said you always feel you could have done better after. Sometimes after a click on an answer I was like :ugh:

Out my hands now. Good luck all.

StevenM
28th May 2013, 08:12
I'm sure everybody will be constantly refreshing their email accounts after Wednesday! :ugh: I hope they don't put the unsuccessful bunch on the long finger either, nothing worse that waiting for something that isn't going to arrive! :ugh: I applied myself, best of luck to anybody else who has applied also :ok:

Matt7504
28th May 2013, 11:00
I havent even had an assessment e-mail yet...No idea why

Boe787ing
28th May 2013, 13:42
Fly Boi,

I know the feeling the tests definitely didn't give me a great feeling after finishing them. Reasoning weren't a matter of hard but the amount!!
Craziness !

Best of luck post Wed :)

Desert Ice78
28th May 2013, 16:40
Did anyone else have trouble attaching their CV to the application. It keeps telling me that "The attached documents capacity has been reached. Try removing a document to free up space" even though I don't have any other documents attached. File size is only 66kb.

GiuseppeAlonci
28th May 2013, 21:57
I have problems in attaching my CV and my cover letter! Even tough they are both ver "light", just some KB, a warning appears stating that there is no room O.o I sent an email to the recruitment team but still I've not got any reply :(
Some of you have also had this problem? What can I do?

future captain
28th May 2013, 22:16
I played around with it a bit, the limit is on number attached not size. I am guessing you have more attachments. I managed 3.

Keeley
28th May 2013, 22:26
Has anybody else had difficulty attaching files to the application page?

I am trying to upload my CV (105 KB) and it is in a pdf format, but I keep getting the following error message "The attached documents capacity has been reached. Try removing a document to free up space". I do not have any other documents attached. Has anyone encountered this problem and managed to solve it?

EDIT: Sorry, I posted this before reading the last few posts.

GiuseppeAlonci
28th May 2013, 22:40
I can't attach ANY document, I try also with ONLY a .txt document of jus 6KB, but nothing :(

pakythepilot
28th May 2013, 23:01
It has happened to me this morning, what I did was just to save all the application as a PDf on my computer, and then delete the application on the website. I know it's bit annoying because you have to re-write all the application again, but it's the only way I found to make it works.

tumtiddle
29th May 2013, 08:13
Well my application is in. I'm not confident about the A-Level to Leavers Cert equivalency but it was always worth the application, just in case! :8

GiuseppeAlonci
29th May 2013, 10:26
I solved the problem deleting the drafts, but I managed to attach just one file... Better than nothing!

DHC1Pilot
29th May 2013, 11:18
I had same problem with cv yesterday, if you upload your Cv first it will work.

Good luck guys

Cesc_
29th May 2013, 11:58
Recieved my login email today. This is the first cadet programe I've applied to, would any one be able to say if they are examples they give you before the real tests to practice.

clvf88
29th May 2013, 12:04
Recieved my login email today. This is the first cadet programe I've applied to, would any one be able to say if they are examples they give you before the real tests to practice.

Affirm. .

StevenM
29th May 2013, 14:12
Cesc_,

Yes, don't worry about examples, you are given plenty of them, read carefully and you won't have a problem. Best of luck! :ok:

limesoda
29th May 2013, 17:23
Got my email today also. In the Midst of A level revision.... ahh this is going to be a massive distraction haha

Passepartout1
29th May 2013, 20:19
Hi all,
Just a quick question, I applied today and received a confirmation of receipt from Aer Lingus. I thought from reading the previous posts that I should be expecting an invite to an online assessment. I haven't received one yet, should I be worried??:confused::confused:

clvf88
29th May 2013, 20:49
I get the impression that everyone has been invited to do the online assessments this year. If I recall correctly there was no 'we are pleased to announce we are progressing you application to the next stage', it was written more like a matter of course. Also, I have not heard of anybody who has not got an invite.

Can anyone disprove this theory?

Cherrytaz
29th May 2013, 20:58
I submitted application on 14th May and no invite for assessment as of yet

KriVa
30th May 2013, 09:52
Today was the last day for the application. I don't think anybody got the link the day they applied, most of us got the mail a day later, or even a few days later.

Cesc_
30th May 2013, 11:32
Does anyone know if everyone that meets the required mark in the tests will be invited to the second phase or if it will go on just those on the very top.

Matt7504
30th May 2013, 11:42
I haven't received anything clvf88. Applied 13th May, PPL, full set of ATPLs, A levels, etc. Nothing.......

Ispahan
30th May 2013, 16:01
Anybody received an automatic reminder of the 72 hrs time limit saying that you still need to complete some of the tests in spite of having completed all of them ? ?
:confused:

EI-DEA
30th May 2013, 17:03
Sorry mate. Correct me if im wrong but If you have ATPL completed in full they do not allow you through as you would be more suited to direct entry to the airline.

GiuseppeAlonci
30th May 2013, 17:27
Someone knows when the selections in Dublin will be held? September? August?

Cesc_
30th May 2013, 17:51
Just completed the rest of my tests, can't say it went great. But at least I know what to expect now and can prepare myself for future programs.

CRASH TEST
30th May 2013, 19:25
Hello fellow ppruners! i received my invitation to do the online assesment just today, after submitting my application hours before the closing:ok: ....can somebody shade a light on how long it takes to do this online assesment?

rflake
30th May 2013, 20:04
hey folks. When you click on the start button for one of the tests are you committed to completing that test there and then? What I mean is could you go into the examples and do a few of them, then come back a few hours later and do the actual test?

nabanoba
30th May 2013, 21:14
It says about 2 hours Crash. But I spent about as long doing the examples and reading the description. So about 4 hours for me. But you might be a little quicker.

Best of luck!

CRASH TEST
30th May 2013, 21:23
Thanks nabanoba...best of luck to you too!!

DHC1Pilot
30th May 2013, 23:17
Please confirm, if I commence an assesment I wont be able to restart it after the examples and I have to carry on.

Cheers and best wishes

Bearcat F8F
31st May 2013, 07:02
Yes, once you start each individual assessment exercise, you may not go back to restart... otherwise we could all just redo it until we reach a very high level that we are satisfied with :ok:

tumtiddle
31st May 2013, 07:39
Well I got my assessment invite about 18 hours after I applied.

As already stated, the tests should take about 2 hours but I completed in just under that as they really aren't difficult. I didn't complete all the questions in the given time but answered the vast majority of them (whilst making sure the answers I gave were correct).

GiuseppeAlonci
31st May 2013, 09:30
I'm having trouble with the website for the online assessments! I have done the Measurement of Competencies test, at the end they asked me to send an email with a xml code because it was impossible to automatically send the results. After doing that, I am unable to reach the website for the other tests, because "the web page is not available". Someone knows what to do? It is just a problem of mine or even other people encountered this problem?

Paging Mr Loggins
31st May 2013, 09:32
www.aerlingus.maptq.com

The test site is completely down. I have emailed Aer Lingus but I am not sure if they are responding to emails because I have emailed before with no response.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can complete my tests? It's looking pretty dire... I have until 21:00 tonight to complete, but I have to work this afternoon and don't expect to be back in time.

Does anyone know the number for the recruitment team at Aer Lingus? I have looked but couldn't find anything for them. I found one for PR but no one answered.

Thanks.

Paging Mr Loggins
31st May 2013, 09:43
Hi Giuseppe,

It's the same for me too. Their servers have probably crashed. I have emailed them ([email protected]), but I am not getting any response; not even a delivery report. We need to give them a call and tell them there is a problem, but I can not find a number for the recruitment team.

I hope this isn't the end of this journey. It would be wholly unfair if it is the case.

nabanoba
31st May 2013, 10:48
Tumtiddle,

I think the difficulty lies in getting a lot done in a short space of time. That's what they are looking for.

a320--
31st May 2013, 10:52
It's fixed now!

limesoda
31st May 2013, 11:45
phew!

All over! Took a while but hey ho!

I definitely found it hard to grasp some of the concepts in there. Especially the patterns one!

I must have crashed 8 or 9 times on the hand-eye tunnel which i was really p****d off about as i know if i had a joystick it would be a different story!

Ahh well there we go anyway.

Anyone know if we get a result back/ when results get posted?

CHEERS

tumtiddle
31st May 2013, 12:01
I agree, but answering all the questions would not be a requirement in these tests. It has to be a balance of correct answers vs time taken.

GiuseppeAlonci
31st May 2013, 17:13
Done! Well, I found some sections really challenging, particularly those with the cubes to be reconstructed, of discovering rules and of hand-eye coordinatotion... Someone knows when we will get the results and/or when the selection in Dublin will be held?

Type Rated B767
31st May 2013, 17:30
Has anyone had any feedback/response post online assessments for the next stage?

airbus350s
31st May 2013, 20:40
Does anyone know how many people will be invited to the next process? How many were invited in the 2011 program? Thanks

MerNion
31st May 2013, 23:26
I had registered in the online assessments using a different e-mail than the one when I submitted my application to EIN and I received an e-mail today saying that I have still 72 hours left to complete the assessments. Should I take them again with the e-mail address I used on the application or should I be fine since the name and everything is the same?!?

airbus350s
1st Jun 2013, 01:46
Am not sure it will matter, but it does say that you should use the same email.

Quiet
1st Jun 2013, 07:25
How did you use a different email than the one you applied with? They email the link to the assessments to the address you registered with? I'm not sure about taking them a second time, if I was you I would email them and say what happened ASAP, then phone them during working hours. It should just be a case of linking the tests you have already done to your application. A second round of testing may be seen as trying to do better the second time, which you inevitably would. It definitely said on the website that multiple applications would cancel each other out, though this is a slightly different situation. Get in touch with HR before you do anything.

MerNion
1st Jun 2013, 08:36
I have a @gmail and another e-mail account and I used the @gmail in my application but when I received there the e-mail about the online assessments and I went to the assessments page to registered I entered my other e-mail address in order to make sure that I will get the mail and it won't end up in Junk or somewhere else (because it has happened before with gmail). I sent an email to recruit@ and I will also try to call on Monday...

tobster911
1st Jun 2013, 08:52
I was just completing one of my tests when the website pretty much shut down, and now says that it's under maintenance work. Is anyone else having any issues, these are my last few hours and I have ONE test to complete, and the website decides to go and f*ck itself up.

Please tell me I'm not the only one

mackem_man
1st Jun 2013, 09:03
Hi tobster.

I can't get on either, which is frustrating as this morning is the only time I can do it before my 72 hours expire!

Great timing!